Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Democracy and Its Crisis  (Read 2843 times)

Thomas

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Democracy and Its Crisis
« on: March 20, 2018, 04:15:05 AM »
[snip edit]

[snip edit]

[snip edit]

[snip edit]

« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 12:08:19 PM by Thomas »

miki

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 49
  • Likes Given: 223
Re: Democracy and Its Crisis
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 04:20:36 AM »
I may add to the discussion this recent article on the Guardian about Yascha Mounk’s new book, The People versus Democracy.

The three crises of liberal democracy
by Ganesh Sitaraman
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/mar/17/the-three-crises-of-liberal-democracy

"Yascha Mounk’s extraordinary new book, The People versus Democracy, provides a clear, concise, persuasive, and insightful account of the conditions that made liberal democracy work – and how the breakdown in those conditions is the source of the current crisis of democracy around the world. He reveals the water in which liberal democracy has been swimming unthinkingly all these years."

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 11:15:53 PM »
CA is a middle finger poked into the eye of democracy, but the mass media in the hands of a handful of ideologically driven billionaires, and populated by CIA shills, has as chilling an effect on meaningful elections.

With Google, Twitter and Facebook now censuring the internet, and the end of net neutrality just around the corner, we're rapidly running out of options.

Democracy? It was fun while it lasted.
Terry

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2018, 04:23:38 AM »
CA is obviously a bad actor, but the condemnation needs to be shared with facebook.
The story that facebook was funded by the CIA/NSA now seems increasingly likely. Is it now being used as it's early backers intended, or is CA simply an unintended aberration?

Terry
On a personal note. You're proving a valuable addition to the thread!

Pmt111500

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2018, 10:08:33 AM »
I find it hard to accept duly elected representantives may rise their wages at their own will on many democracies. This institutez a constant bias between the people and their representatives. I though doubt that many people would want to get to the office if the pay would be what voters get, so possibly some sort of basic income to them + demographically segmented income would represent people much better than the current system. Better yet if the salaries of representatives would be lotteried so you'd never know how much you'd get if you get elected. A measure of conviction to yout political ideology, or something like that.I bet we'd get way less politicians licking assws of monied interests.