Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: IJIS  (Read 2659652 times)

nick

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: IJIS
« Reply #3950 on: February 28, 2017, 12:53:11 PM »
This is playing out much like 2012.  Early spring in Canada and US.  Now we continue to plateau for a few weeks until the roll over gains steam.
2012 wasn't anything like this. By mid march extent was at decadal highs and the 3rd week of March 2012 still holds the record for extent in that week since 2004. The damage in 2012 was done in June and August. Until then it looked like being a freak high year.

Spring might be Early in the US but if anything I would expect a late to very late spring in the arctic given the enormous amount of snow lying around (and still falling) in Russia and the far North of Canada.

IMO the news here isn't in the Arctic, it's still just following it's long term trend and individual wiggles are just noise. The Antarctic however has massively broken it's trend and is posting figures way out of band. Whether this is a freak or not remains to be seen. The Antarctic is quite capable of refreezing everything it's lost as it doesn't rely on land cover to provide low temperatures. And the ice loss this summer could have been caused by extremely an active ocean caused by El Nino rather than temperature rise per se. However now el Nino has gone, should this winter's max follow on from last, this would confirm severe local warming and the immediate mechanism would have to be identified. At the moment the extra open ocean should be generating extra snowfall over the continent (and thus growing glaciers), but should this negative feedback mechanism fail then all bets are off for sea level rise.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 49
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #3951 on: February 28, 2017, 01:00:18 PM »
2012 wasn't anything like this. By mid march extent was at decadal highs and the 3rd week of March 2012 still holds the record for extent in that week since 2004.

WEATHER WISE.  Spring of 2012 was VERY WARM in both Canada and the US.  The new forecast temperatures in the US are playing MUCH LIKE 2012.

I should have been MORE SPECIFIC....in talking about the temps....OR....likely should have put on another thread. 

But my point is/was two fold:  (1) temps in Canada and US are similar in February as they were in 2012 leading up to the warm spring....the year "the ice disappeared", and (2)  2017 is playing out temperature wise.....AND...is likely to end up in the same position OR LOWER on the Arctic ice.

I wasn't specifically dealing with THE ICE.  But there is obviously a CONNECTION between the temps in Canada, Russia, US......and the Arctic ice.

That....is what I was connecting....or trying to connect...

FOX (RT) News....."The Trump Channel.....where truth and journalism are dead."

Jim Pettit

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 41
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #3952 on: February 28, 2017, 01:00:30 PM »
Four consecutive falls, and down ~120k from the current peak, so we could be past the max. If so, it would be early and record low, but we'll have to wait a few weeks to be sure – or less, of course, if it increases by more than 120k before that, which is entirely possible.

Yes, it's *possible* that 2017 has topped out. But I'm not willing to place any bets on that just yet; it's simply too early. 2010 gained 225k over the next four days, while 2012 jumped up by 286k over the same period.

Only two of the past ten years' maxima (2007 and 2015) had occurred before today. 2016's was tomorrow, 2009's would be this coming Friday, and the remainder would occur anywhere from the middle of next week (2012) to over a month from now (2010). (The ten-year average IJIS extent maximum would occur Wednesday a week from now.)

So, yeah: too early to call it just yet--though if drops, say, another 200k over the next week, ask me again. :)

Paddy

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 153
  • Likes Given: 151
« Reply #3953 on: February 28, 2017, 01:18:18 PM »
I think it's fairly likely it may have topped out for the year, particularly as conditions forecast for the next few days seem more conducive to loss than gain (https://sites.google.com/site/arcticseaicegraphs/forecasts). Only time will tell, though.

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
  • Don't Vote NatC or PopCon, Save Lives!
    • View Profile
    • The Arctic sea ice Great White Con
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 87
« Reply #3954 on: February 28, 2017, 01:30:46 PM »
So, yeah: too early to call it just yet--though if drops, say, another 200k over the next week, ask me again. :)

Are you allergic to crow pie Jim?
"The most revolutionary thing one can do always is to proclaim loudly what is happening" - Rosa Luxemburg

etienne

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • About energy
  • Liked: 309
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #3955 on: February 28, 2017, 02:08:37 PM »
Looking at the 2003-2016 February and March IJIS data there are quite a lot of runs of 3 or 4 consecutive days of extent going down before the maximum has been reached.

There were runs of 5 consecutive days of decrease prior to the eventual max in 2009 and 2010.

2003 even had 8 consecutive days of decrease, losing 258k sq km in the process before it then went up again, gaining 277k sq km and hitting its maximum.

Hello,

I believe that this is due to the way extent is calculated, but has no statistical value. Since at least 15% of ice is needed to include an area in the extent, a spreading of the ice could reduce the extent quite a lot (going from 15% to 14%), and a light refreeze (going back to 15%) brings the extent back up. I don't see maximum extent and date of the maximum as a precise information, I would say that average value in February would be more significant.

Etienne

Jim Pettit

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3956 on: February 28, 2017, 02:54:47 PM »
Are you allergic to crow pie Jim?

Allergic? No. But let's just say I've eaten enough of it over the years that I no longer have a taste for it. :)

magnamentis

« Reply #3957 on: February 28, 2017, 07:34:15 PM »
Looking at the 2003-2016 February and March IJIS data there are quite a lot of runs of 3 or 4 consecutive days of extent going down before the maximum has been reached.

There were runs of 5 consecutive days of decrease prior to the eventual max in 2009 and 2010.

2003 even had 8 consecutive days of decrease, losing 258k sq km in the process before it then went up again, gaining 277k sq km and hitting its maximum.

Hello,

I believe that this is due to the way extent is calculated, but has no statistical value. Since at least 15% of ice is needed to include an area in the extent, a spreading of the ice could reduce the extent quite a lot (going from 15% to 14%), and a light refreeze (going back to 15%) brings the extent back up. I don't see maximum extent and date of the maximum as a precise information, I would say that average value in February would be more significant.

Etienne

as far as i can see spreading of the ice usually is increasing extent fast and steep as we have seen many times. the kind of spreading that is needed to the opposite which you say it would take significant holes in the ice cover to be recognized and mapped as ice-free, hence not counting.

Deeenngee

• New ice
    • View Profile
    • Baddadgags
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3958 on: February 28, 2017, 10:50:19 PM »
As I'm in the mood for trying different visualisations, here's a thing I concocted as another way to look at IJIS data. The procedure:

Downloaded the daily extent data (1990-2017).

Used the RANK equation to rank each year - from 1 to 28 where 1 is the largest extent for any year on that day, and 28 is the least.

Then conditional formatting so that 1 is blue and 28 is red, and everything graded in between.

Then made the numbers invisible, pasted into powerpoint and squeezed it vertically.

Quite a pleasing effect, and moderately informative!

No idea how this will look when I press Post, but here goes....

https://twitter.com/baddadgags

One liners, dad jokes, other jokes; all mine. Please follow for 2 to 3 moderately amusing instances of the above per week, guaranteed.

DrTskoul

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 210
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #3959 on: February 28, 2017, 11:21:19 PM »
As I'm in the mood for trying different visualisations, here's a thing I concocted as another way to look at IJIS data. The procedure:

Used the RANK equation to rank each year - from 1 to 28 where 1 is the largest extent for any year on that day, and 28 is the least.

Then conditional formatting so that 1 is blue and 28 is red, and everything graded in between.

Then made the numbers invisible, pasted into powerpoint and squeezed it vertically.

It let's looks great. Instead of continuous graduation you can have percentiles of different color ( e.g. Quartiles )

etienne

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • About energy
  • Liked: 309
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #3960 on: March 01, 2017, 01:27:18 AM »

Hello,

Etienne

as far as i can see spreading of the ice usually is increasing extent fast and steep as we have seen many times. the kind of spreading that is needed to the opposite which you say it would take significant holes in the ice cover to be recognized and mapped as ice-free, hence not counting.

Hi,

Thanks for the comment, I agree that spreading increase extent because even if the 15% sea ice concentration spreads inside the areas with 14% sea ice concentration, there will also be areas with 16% or 17% sea ice concentration spreading in the areas with 15% concentration.

Regarding the holes in the ice cover, I guess that there must be some kind of belt around the artic with just 15% sea ice concentration, which means with significant holes in the ice cover. Does anybody know what is the lowest sea ice concentration that can be seen on satelite pictures ? Is there also a minimal thickness or size that is required for the ice cubes to be detected ? These are parameters that could explain oscillations in data.

Thanks,

Etienne

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1012
  • Likes Given: 1034
« Reply #3961 on: March 01, 2017, 02:48:23 AM »

I shall visualize the next 2 months blue .. anyone care to join me ? :)

Conflict is the root of all evil , for being blind it does not see whom it attacks . Yet it always attacks the Son Of God , and the Son of God is you .

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 420
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #3962 on: March 01, 2017, 05:28:23 AM »
IJIS:

13,750,131 km2(February 28, 2017)up 31,093 km2 from previous and lowest measured for the date.

Have a ice day!

Deeenngee

• New ice
    • View Profile
    • Baddadgags
« Reply #3963 on: March 01, 2017, 11:54:07 PM »
Another cheeky chart of IJIS extent data if I may.

Having ranked each day from 1990-2017 against its respective days (where 1 is the most ice for that day and 28 is the least), I counted the number of days that each year has in each rank (1 to 28). I then grouped them: top 5, 6-10, 19-23 and bottom 5 (24-28).

I shouldn't be surprised at the result, but plotting it out like this is still pretty staggering.

Between 1990-2003 there were only 17 days in total that are ranked in the bottom 10 (as in, least ice) for their respective days over the 1990-2017 period. And from 2011 to today, only 11 days ranked in their respective top 10 - and those were all in April 2012!

One liners, dad jokes, other jokes; all mine. Please follow for 2 to 3 moderately amusing instances of the above per week, guaranteed.

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3964 on: March 02, 2017, 05:26:32 AM »
IJIS:

13,802,013 km2(March 1, 2017)up 51,882 km2 from previous and lowest measured for the date.
Have a ice day!

bairgon

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #3965 on: March 02, 2017, 06:48:29 AM »
IJIS:

13,802,013 km2(March 1, 2017)up 51,882 km2 from previous and lowest measured for the date.

So the peak (just!) is still from 23/02:

IJIS:

13,839,032 km2(February 23, 2017)up 26,896 km2 from previous and 3rd lowest measured for the date.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
« Reply #3966 on: March 02, 2017, 09:49:45 AM »
It'd be kind of cool if the max has been reached on the 23rd.  ;)
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

Jim Pettit

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3967 on: March 02, 2017, 12:47:57 PM »
On this date in 2012, IJIS SIE shot up by 186k km2, the largest single jump in a remarkable 10-day stretch that saw an average daily increase of 62k. A repeat of that this year would render a maximum of 13.98M km, or just above the 2015 record.

We're in that, er, interesting time of the year where extent (and area) behave like a child's party balloon gently bouncing along a ceiling, with unremarkable down days and unremarkable up days leading to not much real movement at all. If this year's arc follows the historical average, it won't rise above 14 million at any point, but it also won't fall below 13 million for another 6-8 weeks.

This February just passed saw the lowest monthly average on record for that month, the fourth consecutive month in first place.

gregcharles

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 11
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #3968 on: March 02, 2017, 05:11:54 PM »
On this date in 2012, IJIS SIE shot up by 186k km2, the largest single jump in a remarkable 10-day stretch that saw an average daily increase of 62k. A repeat of that this year would render a maximum of 13.98M km, or just above the 2015 record.

Just to clarify, you mean it's at 13.8M km2 now, so a repeat of 2012's one day increase, followed by an immediate drop would make 13.98 M km2 the max for this year. A repeat of the whole ten day run would bring it much higher than that.

Jim Pettit

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3969 on: March 02, 2017, 06:48:47 PM »
Just to clarify, you mean it's at 13.8M km2 now, so a repeat of 2012's one day increase, followed by an immediate drop would make 13.98 M km2 the max for this year. A repeat of the whole ten day run would bring it much higher than that.

What I tried to say--and perhaps failed at it--is that were the remainder of this re-freeze season to exactly mimic the day-to-day behavior of 2012, 2017 would see a March 7 maximum of 13.98M.

gregcharles

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 11
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #3970 on: March 02, 2017, 08:26:59 PM »
Ah, got it. Yes, 13,983,305 on March 7, right? 2012 only rose an average of 30K per day in the same time frame though, so this year could easily beat that, or easily not. Your balloon bouncing on the ceiling is very apt.

I wasn't following the daily numbers in 2012, but looking at the spreadsheet, the increase from 2/28 to 3/1 was, in fact, 186K, but that was two days: a 209K loss on 2/29 followed by 395K gain on 3/1. That must have made some heads spin! That's a balloon bouncing past a ceiling fan.

Jim Pettit

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3971 on: March 03, 2017, 12:24:34 PM »
ICYMI: This is from JAXA's Twitter feed:

Bill Fothergill

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3972 on: March 04, 2017, 01:16:47 PM »
As I'm in the mood for trying different visualisations, here's a thing I concocted as another way to look at IJIS data.

It let's looks great. Instead of continuous graduation you can have percentiles of different color ( e.g. Quartiles )

The type of representation you are talking about is frequently referred to as a "heat chart". Another example of the use of these can be seen on here...

This type of chart can also be used to predict in advance when we are likely to see an outbreak of the recurring denier bollocks variant which incorporates a phrase along the lines of ... "look, there has been no change in Arctic sea ice since blah-blah-blah".

See, for example, this post on the Arctic Sea Ice Blog...

http://neven1.typepad.com/blog/2013/05/party-like-its-1989.html#more

pauldry600

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
    • weathergossip
  • Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #3973 on: March 04, 2017, 04:33:18 PM »
Since wev last seen IJIS Id say its up slightly as other charts are moving slightly up but this is only a guess

Maybe 13.85.

Dunno why it keeps breaking

My weather station in Ireland has survived 11years of storms n it was only 60 quid!

Deeenngee

• New ice
    • View Profile
    • Baddadgags
« Reply #3974 on: March 04, 2017, 07:06:36 PM »
Bill
Thanks for that, and I enjoyed that post of yours that you linked to there. One of the first things I thought of when I produced the heat chart above was exactly that, about how it shows the paucity of the contractions argument when they find a recent day in April, usually, that is superficially similar to another April day in the dim and distant.
Incidentally, my use of the word 'concocted' earlier wasn't meant to imply some originality on my part ref my heat chart. 'Assembled' would probably have been a better verb to use.

Andre

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3975 on: March 06, 2017, 03:56:43 AM »
JAXA is back up and running. However, their latest value is only March 2:

The latest value: 13,787,843 km2(March 2, 2017)

Means we had a drop after the last gain on March 1. Will be interesting to see what happened since then. Lets hope they add more recent numbers soon.

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3976 on: March 06, 2017, 05:21:06 AM »
IJIS:

13,858,609 km2(March 5, 2017)and 3rd lowest measured for the date.
Have a ice day!

Bill Fothergill

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3977 on: March 06, 2017, 10:20:57 AM »
From the .csv file, the values from the 1st to the 5th are ...

Sorry Neven, cool or otherwise, there is no Feb 23 IJIS max this year!   ;)

Deeenngee

• New ice
    • View Profile
    • Baddadgags
« Reply #3978 on: March 06, 2017, 09:55:37 PM »
An update of my '2017 vs the others' maximums' chart. I've extended it to go back to 1990.
As most of you probably know the 1980s dataset only has every-other-day readings, so there's a lot less confidence during that decade that each year's max was indeed the max.

Lord M Vader

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 60
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #3979 on: March 06, 2017, 10:12:15 PM »
Should be some compaction/melting the next 5 days as the winds veers to southerlies again over Berings Strait. OTOH, export through Fram might yield an uptick but I lean more to the melting option given the warm waters in the Atlantic basin.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 49
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #3980 on: March 06, 2017, 10:17:11 PM »
Should be some compaction/melting the next 5 days as the winds veers to southerlies again over Berings Strait.

Arctic warming up again as well....March 09 Forecast anomaly...

FOX (RT) News....."The Trump Channel.....where truth and journalism are dead."

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3981 on: March 08, 2017, 05:14:34 AM »
IJIS:

13,878,287 km2(March 6, 2017)and 3rd lowest measured for the date.
Have a ice day!

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3982 on: March 08, 2017, 05:29:28 AM »
IJIS:

13,866,340 km2(March 7, 2017)and 3rd lowest measured for the date.
Have a ice day!

Meirion

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #3983 on: March 08, 2017, 09:38:48 AM »
I'm going to take a wild guess that 13,878,287 km2 is the Max - almost certainly wrong

pauldry600

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
    • weathergossip
« Reply #3984 on: March 08, 2017, 10:20:07 AM »
Seems a lot of melt over next 3 or 4 days then refreeze somewhat so could indeed be.

Darvince

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 31
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #3985 on: March 08, 2017, 01:56:20 PM »
While there will be melt I wouldn't expect extent to go down, because ESS leads won't grow very large and as soon as the low has evacuated the temperatures will plummet again and they'll freeze right over, as we're talking about extent and not volume.

There may be freezing (not really refreeze in March :P ) as the winds in the Bering are blowing from the north and in the St Lawrence Gulf they are set to start blowing from the west and be very cold starting tomorrow. The only wildcard here is whether the Barents will grow or shrink, I'm thinking that it'll be mostly balanced there in terms of extent as the great lows over winter seem to have finally started heading into Europe instead of up into the Barents/CAB.

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3986 on: March 09, 2017, 05:30:02 AM »
IJIS:

13,818,836 km2(March 8, 2017)down 47,504 km2 and 2nd lowest measured for the date.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 06:19:35 PM by Espen »
Have a ice day!

Tigertown

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #3987 on: March 09, 2017, 05:56:50 AM »
It looks like this extended stall that we have been experiencing for a while now with both JAXA and NSIDC SIE numbers is finally about to give way and start moving in a downward, southerly, dropping, decline of a decay, allowing for a wobble or two on the way. For anyone who didn't realize     that a stall was ongoing, compile the numbers for about the last two weeks in one place and stare at these for about a minute. Don't go to long or you may require meds. Anyhow, it gives a broader view than just looking at the numbers for a day or two at a time.
The graph helps too.
"....and the appointed time came for God to bring to ruin those ruining the earth." Revelation 11:18.

Jim Pettit

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3988 on: March 09, 2017, 01:41:57 PM »
It looks like this extended stall that we have been experiencing for a while now with both JAXA and NSIDC SIE numbers is finally about to give way and start moving in a downward, southerly, dropping, decline of a decay, allowing for a wobble or two on the way. For anyone who didn't realize     that a stall was ongoing, compile the numbers for about the last two weeks in one place and stare at these for about a minute. Don't go to long or you may require meds. Anyhow, it gives a broader view than just looking at the numbers for a day or two at a time.
The graph helps too.

IJIS SIE may very well have topped out. But it's important to keep in mind that increases, even fairly substantial ones, are still a real possibility. 2015, which actually peaked on 28 February,  gained 230k between 08 March and 26 March, while 2014 grew by an additional 365k between today's date and its 20 March peak. (And 2010 was still three-and-a-half weeks from its max.)

(FWIW, five of the past ten maximums occurred before 08 March, and [obviously] five occurred later)

Peter Ellis

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 33
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #3989 on: March 09, 2017, 01:53:16 PM »
For anyone who didn't realize that a stall was ongoing, compile the numbers for about the last two weeks in one place and stare at these for about a minute.
"Extended stall" is over-egging it a bit. Arctic ice is always pretty much flat from mid February to the start of April. The month or so around the winter peak really is the most pointless time of all for looking at daily or even weekly extent changes.  Oh, and the degree of change during Feb/April has no correlation with the summer minimum at all - the years that get an extra late spurt of freezing lose the ice quickly and it has no impact on the subsequent season.

Frankly, we'd probably all be mentally healthier if we just ignored extent graphs till April the 1st at the very earliest :-)

Deeenngee

• New ice
    • View Profile
    • Baddadgags
« Reply #3990 on: March 09, 2017, 07:16:04 PM »
But it's kind of fun to have another moment in the year to speculate about. The max is in polar (haha) opposition to the minimum, and it marks the passing of one phase of the year to the other. Plus, there is a downward trend in the annual max, which is interesting in itself and part of the bigger story...

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3991 on: March 10, 2017, 05:28:12 AM »
IJIS:

13,770,819 km2(March 9, 2017)down 48,017 km2 and 2nd lowest measured for the date.
Have a ice day!

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3584
  • Likes Given: 3922
« Reply #3992 on: March 10, 2017, 06:31:26 AM »
Deeenngee can you update your zoomed-in graph? I wonder where we stand

Tigertown

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #3993 on: March 10, 2017, 06:32:35 AM »
With all due respect to those of the opposite opinion, I believe we are diving head first into an early melt season and extent will continue down overall. I think this last freezing season shows that we can't exactly go by past events and seasons. The forecast for the next several days favors melt, and once the momentum is going that way, it will be hard to reverse.
"....and the appointed time came for God to bring to ruin those ruining the earth." Revelation 11:18.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
« Reply #3994 on: March 10, 2017, 08:52:59 AM »
More than 100K below the preliminary peak, which is itself almost 64K below the lowest max on record. Either way, it looks like the last three years will be the lowest three lowest maxes on record.

The Arctic is forecast to cool in about 3-4 days from now, but a big low in the centre of the Arctic will make sure there won't be much expansion on the Atlantic side of the Arctic. So, yes, this might very well be it.
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

Jim Pettit

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3995 on: March 10, 2017, 02:16:11 PM »
More than 100K below the preliminary peak, which is itself almost 64K below the lowest max on record. Either way, it looks like the last three years will be the lowest three lowest maxes on record.

The Arctic is forecast to cool in about 3-4 days from now, but a big low in the centre of the Arctic will make sure there won't be much expansion on the Atlantic side of the Arctic. So, yes, this might very well be it.

I agree. Down 107k in the past three days, and that right in the middle of the IJIS SIE average maximum week. Seven of the previous 14 seasons peaked on or before 09 March, and two more (2004 and 2006) peaked on the 10th, so the chances of exceeding the YTD maximum (obviously) diminish with each passing day. Of course, as mentioned yesterday, 2012, 2014, and 2015 (along with 2003) each gained enough extent after the 9th that a repeat of any of their respective behaviors this year would push 2017 over the current record of 13.94M. Shorter: I'm not laying any bets just yet. :)

pauldry600

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
    • weathergossip
« Reply #3996 on: March 10, 2017, 05:37:36 PM »
Yeah my max prediction of 13.91 looks buggered now unless.... :'( :D

Deeenngee

• New ice
    • View Profile
    • Baddadgags
« Reply #3997 on: March 10, 2017, 08:59:06 PM »
Here's my update, also with the late season rallying years that Jim P mentions. From top 2003, 2012, 2014, 2015.

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3998 on: March 11, 2017, 10:17:26 AM »
IJIS:

13,742,120 km2(March 10, 2017)down 28,699 km2 and 2nd lowest measured for the date.
Have a ice day!

Jim Pettit

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3999 on: March 11, 2017, 01:33:45 PM »
IJIS SIE is now down for the month of March to-date, albeit by an almost meaningless 8k km2. And 2017 is currently just under 200k below 2015's record (for now) minimum. But (at the risk of sounding like a broken record), 2014 gained 423k of extent in a ten-day run that began on 10 March, and 2015 gained another 255k between the 10th and the 26th.

I'd put the odds of 2017 IJIS SIE having reached peak at between 80% and 85%.

ADS-NIPR Extent:
13,742,120 km2 (10 March)
Down -136,167 km2 (-.98%) from 2017 maximum to-date of 13,878,287 km2 on 06 March.
10,593,364 km2 above record minimum extent of 3,177,455 km2 (16 September 2012).
Down 28,699 km2 (-.21%) from previous day.
Down 71,260 km2  (-.52%) over past seven days (daily average: -10,180 km2).
Down 8,011 km2  (-.07%) for March (daily average: -801 km2).
919,787 km2 below 2000s average for this date.
367,078 km2 below 2010s average for this date.
113,286 km2 below 2016 value for this date.
768,302 km2 below 2012 value for this date.
Lowest year-to-date (01 January - 10 March) average.
2nd lowest March to-date average.
2nd lowest value for the date.
40 days this year (57.97% year-to-date) have recorded the lowest daily extent.
18 days (26.09%) have recorded the second lowest.
9 days (13.04%) have recorded the third lowest.
67 days (97.1%) this year have been among the three lowest years on record.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 01:40:59 PM by Jim Pettit »