Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: IJIS  (Read 2659677 times)

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 420
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: IJIS/JAXA
« Reply #1100 on: March 27, 2015, 06:03:14 AM »
IJIS:

13,883,904 km2(March 26, 2015)up 29,525 km2 from previus. 3rd lowest for the date.
Have a ice day!

Ned W

« Reply #1101 on: March 27, 2015, 01:10:13 PM »
Wow.  This is getting close.   Six more days until 1 April, and we need to gain exactly 58156 km2, or 9693 km2/day.  In the past 16 days we've gained 260136 km2, or an average of 16258 km2/day. 

Or, by linear regression -- the slope of the trend line from 10-26 March is 13490 km2/day.  Projecting the trend forward would have us tie the 15 Feb max sometime between 1 & 2 April.

So in principle this is very do-able.

The dashed red horizontal line is the 15 Feb max.  The black lines are the linear trend from 10-26 March (solid) and extrapolation (dashed).  The red circle is tying the 15 Feb max on 1 April.

Disclaimer:  I know nothing about the weather forecast.

iceman

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #1102 on: March 27, 2015, 04:31:07 PM »
Wow.  This is getting close.   Six more days until 1 April, and we need to gain exactly 58156 km2, or 9693 km2/day.  In the past 16 days we've gained 260136 km2, or an average of 16258 km2/day. 
Disclaimer:  I know nothing about the weather forecast.

Close enough to be interesting, but remember that the downturn in Barents is about to begin (to be followed soon by Kara), and gains in Bering are about over.  That leaves only an uncertain re-freeze in Baffin/Newfoundland, along with brief blips up in Okhotsk and Greenland seas, to make up the difference in a narrow time window.

viddaloo

• Nilas ice
  • Hardanger Sometimes
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1103 on: March 27, 2015, 04:50:13 PM »
2012 had another century drop yesterday, so is now leading the race with 2 centuries, compared to 2015's 1 and 2007's zero. 2012 also of course leads in total loss during those centuries, with 206918 km2 lost, compared to 2015's 113505.

2015 however still leads in daily extent, although rounded 2007 also has 13.9, with 2012 on a third position with 14.4, after the century drop. Per now, we look set to arrive at a place between 2012 and 2007 in September, based on these stats exclusively.
[]

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: March 28, 2015, 08:29:13 AM »
IJIS:

13,848,141 km2(March 27, 2015)down 35,763 km2 from previous. 3rd lowest for the date.
Have a ice day!

viddaloo

• Nilas ice
  • Hardanger Sometimes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: March 28, 2015, 07:54:07 PM »
All bow before the 22–day algorithm! It is king.  8)
[]

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: March 29, 2015, 08:01:57 AM »
IJIS:

13,775,968 km2(March 28, 2015)down 72,173 km2 from previous and 2nd lowest for the date.
Have a ice day!

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: March 29, 2015, 10:47:51 AM »
IJIS:

So the result is: 2015 will be the earliest max. (Feb. 15) and will be the first year not to reach the 14 million mark (13,942,060 km2).
Have a ice day!

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: March 29, 2015, 11:44:52 AM »
Here is the IJIS graph:
Have a ice day!

Jim Pettit

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 41
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #1109 on: March 29, 2015, 02:48:00 PM »
IJIS:

So the result is: 2015 will be the earliest max. (Feb. 15) and will be the first year not to reach the 14 million mark (13,942,060 km2).

Agreed. Anyone hesitant to call the IJIS max before today can confidently do so now in light of the two-day, 108k drop.

Nightvid Cole

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #1110 on: March 29, 2015, 03:33:22 PM »
I'm still a bit curious why the NSIDC max was on Feb 25 despite the IJIS max being on Feb 15. Usually the two agree with each other better than that. What happened this year?

crandles

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 239
  • Likes Given: 81
« Reply #1111 on: March 29, 2015, 04:43:51 PM »
I'm still a bit curious why the NSIDC max was on Feb 25 despite the IJIS max being on Feb 15. Usually the two agree with each other better than that. What happened this year?

NSIDC
Feb 15 14.575
Feb 22 14.595
Feb 25 14.526 (but 5 day average peaks here)

JAXA
Feb 15 13942060
Feb 25 13931097

20k more for later peak on NSIDC
11k more for earlier peak on JAXA

Total swing of 31k doesn't seem that big perhaps well within typical differences that arise? just that this happens to make noticeable date change this year?

ghoti

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 12
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #1112 on: March 29, 2015, 08:15:41 PM »
Now that we are on the melting side of the season I miss the updates to Rob Seke's graphic depicting the days to reach each million km2 milestone. Hasn't been updated since 2012 it seems.

http://s137.photobucket.com/user/Sekerob/media/Climate/ArcticSIEDaysMillionStepMelts.png.html

cats

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #1113 on: March 29, 2015, 11:01:26 PM »
ghoti - found this over on Jim Pettit's climate graph site - https://sites.google.com/site/pettitclimategraphs/sea-ice-area

ghoti

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #1114 on: March 30, 2015, 04:59:06 AM »
Nice thanks! I guess the long term graphs page could be updated to point to that one.

plg

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: March 30, 2015, 05:41:59 AM »
Note though that the former graph showed extent (NSIDC) and the latter area (Cryosphere).
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 08:22:41 AM by plg »
If you are not paranoid you just do not have enough information yet.

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: March 30, 2015, 07:22:39 AM »
IJIS:

13,724,252 km2(March 29, 2015)down 51,716 km2 from previous and 2nd lowest for the date.

Have a ice day!

Tensor

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: March 30, 2015, 07:49:45 AM »
Espen, thanks for your work getting these numbers out.
Paid Insane Murdoch Drone

anotheramethyst

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #1118 on: March 30, 2015, 09:28:58 AM »
cats , ghoti, and jim pettit, thank you for that.  it was also my favorite graph when i first started lurking here (and at that time i had no idea there was a difference between extent and area anyway haha).  i just added that page to my sea ice related bookmarks :)

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: March 31, 2015, 06:23:15 AM »
IJIS:

13,695,140 km2(March 30, 2015)down 29,112 km2 from previous.
Have a ice day!

viddaloo

• Nilas ice
  • Hardanger Sometimes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: March 31, 2015, 09:16:04 AM »
Espen, thanks for your work getting these numbers out.

I agree with Tensor and also thank Espen for putting these numbers out. Also, I would be lying if I said I don't envy Espen for actually having people thanking him now and then for his work. I'm absolutely not saying Espen doesn't deserve his praise, just that sometime, some day, one of these years, I hope to acquire a simple thank you, from someone. (Maybe if I pay someone to actually register an account and then come on here to thank me ....)
[]

werther

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 31
« Reply #1121 on: March 31, 2015, 10:55:12 AM »
You don't have to pay me, Vid. Your need for attention makes me smile, so thanks. BTW, I like my own words too, no problem. Just be cautious not to scare new readers away with uncomprehensible graphs.

viddaloo

• Nilas ice
  • Hardanger Sometimes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: March 31, 2015, 11:21:05 AM »
You don't have to pay me, Vid. Your need for attention makes me smile, so thanks. BTW, I like my own words too, no problem. Just be cautious not to scare new readers away with uncomprehensible graphs.

werther, believe me, I have absolutely no need for attention. I have not made my point very clear. My philosophy is that a hostile or 'icefront' environment may be attractive and creative for certain individuals, but I do not believe that is true for all people. I'm certainly not one of them. For every 100 hostile comments like the one quoted here, I need one friendly comment to be truly happy. I'm sure that's the same for other posters as well, and that I'm not very unique in this way.
[]

sedziobs

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 63
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #1123 on: March 31, 2015, 04:50:58 PM »
Viddaloo, I have been reading this forum for about two years without posting (just learning), and I feel obligated to share my opinion.  I very much appreciate a few of the things you have brought to the table.  Mostly, I enjoy seeing the annual average ice extent and volume, including pointing out the daily deltas.  That is a fairly original idea that I had not seen elsewhere.  However, I think those graphs can do without the curve-fit extrapolations.  Seeing how short-term extrapolations change on a daily basis doesn't really tell me anything useful.  Also, zooming in so far actually eliminates what I do want to see, which is what the annual average was doing in other years.

As some others have said, I also find your graphs confusing at first, but not too difficult to figure out.  I think part of the issue is that you have a habit of using the title as a place to state your conclusion, rather than simply what data is shown.  I think if you moved your conclusions into a paragraph of text below the graph and labeled your axes with units, your graphs would instantly become more clear.

I don't want to seem like I'm piling on here in my first post, but I have just one more piece of advice.  It seems to me that you like to show a graph that tracks one obscure metric on a daily basis.  Recently it has been daily extent change compared to 2011.  While I'm sure you find that metric very interesting, it might not be to most others (it isn't to me at least).  I don't mind seeing that metric, just not with a new graph almost every day.  Maybe once per week would be better?  Any more than that does start to take away other insights you have.

In summary, I really enjoy everyone's contributions to this forum.  I think it provides the most lively and stimulating climate discussion on the internet.  You add to that without a doubt, Viddaloo, and I thank you for that.  I just wanted to give some advice from a lurker's perspective since it seems you are having some difficulty "fitting in" with the viewpoints and posting styles of others.  You are not alone in this regard (Friv and Michael Hauber have certainly been criticized as well).  Please don't be discouraged, but do listen to what others are saying.  Thanks!

seaicesailor

« Reply #1124 on: March 31, 2015, 06:07:05 PM »
sedziobs, I agree, similar lurker status, however unfair for Friv to be compared with Vid. He has 200 post less than Vid in total, and three melt seasons more in the forum.

Edit: actually Vid, you have more posts than J. Pettit, BFTV, and LMVader together, and getting close to Nevens and Wipneus. You have been posting only for some months. What gives. How can BFTV or JP have 400+ only???? Sorry, but you have hijacked some threads of this forum. It is a distraction such as what a troll would try to achieve.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 06:25:10 PM by seaicesailor »

sedziobs

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 63
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #1125 on: March 31, 2015, 06:21:13 PM »
sedziobs, I agree, similar lurker status, however unfair for Friv to be compared with Vid. He has 200 post less than Vid in total, and three melt seasons more in the forum.

Indeed, the comparison between Vid and Friv is only that both have had their posting style criticized.  I meant nothing more than that, and I do not intend to compare the merit of individual posters.  I'm simply offering advice for Vid, which he can accept or disregard as he chooses.

seaicesailor

« Reply #1126 on: March 31, 2015, 06:29:23 PM »

Indeed, the comparison between Vid and Friv is only that both have had their posting style criticized.  I meant nothing more than that, and I do not intend to compare the merit of individual posters.  I'm simply offering advice for Vid, which he can accept or disregard as he chooses.

I think it is beyond advice, see my edit above.
I tried advice days ago.

I dont want to be a policeman, but how to ask for self-moderation and not percieving it for days...

seaicesailor

« Reply #1127 on: March 31, 2015, 06:41:38 PM »

werther, believe me, I have absolutely no need for attention. I have not made my point very clear. My philosophy is that a hostile or 'icefront' environment may be attractive and creative for certain individuals, but I do not believe that is true for all people. I'm certainly not one of them. For every 100 hostile comments like the one quoted here, I need one friendly comment to be truly happy. I'm sure that's the same for other posters as well, and that I'm not very unique in this way.

Werther's "hostile" comment is as good as 100 of others, Ive been reading him for years, he is a great contributor to here and Neven's

jbatteen

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: March 31, 2015, 07:27:01 PM »
I don't wanna come down too hard on you viddaloo because your energy and enthusiasm for what you do is apparent, and that's wonderful.  If only everyone in the world could pick something to learn and love that benefits not just themselves but the world around them.  So many people are mindless zombies.  It's 100% obvious to me that your heart is in the right place.

But I would suggest that one's enthusiasm might be better directed at learning and observing as opposed to speculating with great confidence when one is just beginning work in a given field.  Certainty in one's correctness and actual knowledge of a topic are typically negatively correlated.  The more one learns, the more they learn how much they don't actually know.  If one random guy says someone smells like poop, that random guy is probably crazy, but if lots of people say it, one might check their shoe for undiscovered gifts from the dog.

viddaloo

• Nilas ice
  • Hardanger Sometimes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: March 31, 2015, 09:22:21 PM »
someone smells like poop, that random guy is probably crazy, but if lots of people say it, one might check their shoe for undiscovered gifts from the dog.

Thanks, jbatteen, that is so nice, and sciency, and I of course apologise for being so spot–on right so early about the JAXA sea ice maximum, that must have hurt a lot of people's feelings, when they were wrong and later had to eat crow and admit I was spot–on when calling it on the 10th.

Being right too soon is indeed socially unacceptable, yet personally I always look to complete newbies and consistently hostile people for advice and guidance in my life, thinking they must either have supreme knowledge as a basis for their extreme vitriol, or otherwise spend their days studying this stuff really hard when they can not afford to write a single word in the forum for years.

I also apologise for being more on–topic and informative than the owner of the forum, whom I've recently been accused of sounding like I am, that must really hurt, too, in a forum that was started in order to keep discussion on–topic.

Yeah, I'm a bad guy for discussing the ice and sharing my plots with people. You are all right, and I am very impressed by your numbers. I'm a numbers guy, after all, and even though your words don't make very much sense, I do fall over backwards by your sheer numbers. Wow. Impressed.
[]

gideonlow

• New ice
  • Fast Data/Big Data Systems Architect
    • View Profile
    • Pivotal Initiative -- Next Generation Data Technology
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #1130 on: March 31, 2015, 09:27:00 PM »
But I would suggest that one's enthusiasm might be better directed at learning and observing . . . .  Certainty in one's correctness and actual knowledge of a topic are typically negatively correlated.  The more one learns, the more they learn how much they don't actually know. 

These are great words of wisdom. 

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
« Reply #1131 on: March 31, 2015, 11:07:42 PM »
Thanks, jbatteen, that is so nice, and sciency, and I of course apologise for being so spot–on right so early about the JAXA sea ice maximum, that must have hurt a lot of people's feelings, when they were wrong and later had to eat crow and admit I was spot–on when calling it on the 10th.
Our feelings weren't hurt, vid! We just needed some time to come together and express our admiration for you.

Here we are, all 700+ members of the ASIF:

Being right too soon is indeed socially unacceptable, yet personally I always look to complete newbies and consistently hostile people for advice and guidance in my life,

No, you don't.  ;D

I also apologise for being more on–topic and informative than the owner of the forum, whom I've recently been accused of sounding like I am, that must really hurt, too, in a forum that was started in order to keep discussion on–topic.

It did hurt alright. But on the bright side: I don't have an inferiority complex, because I'm not afraid of being stupid! Helps keep the arrogance and sarcasm in check too. 8)
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

Tensor

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: March 31, 2015, 11:15:44 PM »
The more one learns, the more they learn how much they don't actually know. 

Which is why, after following Neven for several years and and reading all the fascinating information here in the forums, I keep my mouth shut.  :)
Paid Insane Murdoch Drone

jbatteen

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: March 31, 2015, 11:19:28 PM »
someone smells like poop, that random guy is probably crazy, but if lots of people say it, one might check their shoe for undiscovered gifts from the dog.

Thanks, jbatteen, that is so nice, and sciency,

Did you read the rest of my post?  I made my best effort to offer my criticism as constructively as possible.  The common American figure of speech is "If one person says you smell like shit, he might be crazy, but if lots of people say it, it's time to check your shoe."  I rephrased it to be as gentle as I could and to make the meaning more clear to someone who might not have heard the phrase before.

And, it is actually pretty scientific.  The more independent observers witness the same thing, the more likely that that thing is a real phenomenon worth investigating.

and I of course apologise for being so spot–on right so early about the JAXA sea ice maximum, that must have hurt a lot of people's feelings, when they were wrong and later had to eat crow and admit I was spot–on when calling it on the 10th.

You got lucky.  It was a 50/50 shot and the chips fell in your favor.  You haven't been here long enough to see all of the crow feasted upon by others making similar early calls.

Being right too soon is indeed socially unacceptable, yet personally I always look to complete newbies and consistently hostile people for advice and guidance in my life, thinking they must either have supreme knowledge as a basis for their extreme vitriol, or otherwise spend their days studying this stuff really hard when they can not afford to write a single word in the forum for years.

Maybe those of us with low post counts don't post much because we're here more to learn and observe rather than to seek social acceptance and validation, and don't want to clutter the board with posts that contribute little worthwhile information.  People have been trying to nudge you gently in that direction for some time and it hasn't worked, so at some point we have to drop the subtle hints and tell it like it is.  Frankly I'm upset at myself for cluttering this thread even more with posts unrelated to the ice, but I've done so in an attempt to bring the discussion as a whole back to the topic at hand and make the experience better for everyone.  I've been reading the blog for 4 or 5 years now and been lurking in the forums since their creation.  I could have been posting vigorously since then, but to what end?  Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.

Are you claiming to be more on-topic and informative than Neven?  Most of Neven's posts have been verifiable observations of the past and present, rather than unsubstantiated speculation about the future.  Just because a post is about the ice doesn't make it on-topic.  You should be grateful to Neven for providing us the opportunity to learn and collaborate worldwide, rather than ragging on him.  If you don't like how he runs the board, I'd encourage you to go start your own.

Yeah, I'm a bad guy for discussing the ice and sharing my plots with people. You are all right, and I am very impressed by your numbers. I'm a numbers guy, after all, and even though your words don't make very much sense, I do fall over backwards by your sheer numbers. Wow. Impressed.

Quantity != quality.  I could make 1000 posts to try to get my post count up towards yours but that would accomplish nothing worthwhile.  You're not a bad guy for discussing the ice and sharing your plots, but one could make a convincing argument that you're a bad guy for continuing to post plots with the same mistakes over and over again after repeated attempts by other posters to get you to improve.  Titles on a graph need to describe the data contained within, not state the conclusion drawn from the data.  This isn't something we magically came up with.  These are generally accepted standard practices for labelling graphs in the scientific community.

Quote from: http://www.ehow.com/way_5195234_proper-way-label-graph.html
Place a title on the graph, which is important because it summarizes what the graph is showing. The title is usually placed in the center, either above or below the graph. The title of the graph should be in terms of what the x and y axes represent. The proper form is "y-axis variable vs. x-axis variable." For example, if you were comparing the the amount of fertilizer to how much a plant grew, the amount of fertilizer would be the independent, or x-axis variable and the growth would be the dependent, or y-axis variable. Therefore, your title would be "Amount of Fertilizer vs. Plant Growth."
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 11:31:30 PM by jbatteen »

Sleepy

« Reply #1134 on: April 01, 2015, 06:24:11 AM »
Thought I landed in the wrong thread. Espen, are you still here? :)

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: April 01, 2015, 06:34:33 AM »
IJIS:

13,665,311 km2(March 31, 2015)down 29,829 km2 from previous.
Have a ice day!

jplotinus

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #1136 on: April 01, 2015, 01:31:04 PM »
Thought I landed in the wrong thread. Espen, are you still here? :)

Me too, sleepy. However, the diversion may have served the purpose of confirming the forum is a tolerant place to discuss and present exquisite data and information on a crucial indicator of planetary [ill]-health.

It's all good :)

OldLeatherneck

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #1137 on: April 01, 2015, 07:38:26 PM »
Near-Term Arctic Ice Loss Projections (Commonly Known as Wild Ass Guesses)

The chart above is a model that I have developed, using only the statistical data from 2003 to 2014, with the months from March 1st to September 15th broken into 15 or 16 day periods.  I'm plotting 5 projected scenarios from the current date.  The two extreme high/low projections use the record high and low losses for each period respectively.  The remaining three projections use average loss plus 10%, average loss and average loss minus 10%.  The tables below show the data I am using for the entire month of April and the first half of May.

In no case am I trying to make any absolute predictions as to what will happen in the near future, only what kind of performance relative to previous years historical performance is required to keep 2015's Extent within the range of the previous record years of 2007, 2011 and 2012. Neither am I using any current weather predictions, nor am I factoring in the current state if the ice in any of the Arctic regions.  I'll let people far smarter and more experienced than I am factor those elements into any predictions of the near-term future of the Arctic ice.  I’m so glad Frivolous is back commenting again with his enlightening Arctic weather forecasts.  As far as my aging grey matter is concerned, meteorological charts are nothing more than colorful Rorschach Tests.

At best, my model is a "GUESStimator" rather than a scientific predictor.  All though I will stick my neck out so far as to say that I believe that 2015 will still be below 2007,2011 and 2012 on May 15th.  However, without some well above average losses in the next 6-7 weeks, 2015 may not have enough of a lead over 2012 to be able to end up with a new record low extent in September.

April 1-15     
 AVG Loss       526,335   
 MAX Loss    1,080,605        2004
 MIN Loss        278,712        2006

April 16-30     
 AVG Loss      631,407   
 MAX Loss      891,819         2012
 MIN Loss      389,601          2007

May 1-15     
 AVG Loss     752,250 
 MAX Loss   1,124,280         2010
 MIN Loss     523,321          2013
"Share Your Knowledge.  It's a Way to Achieve Immortality."  ......the Dalai Lama

jdallen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 650
  • Likes Given: 244
« Reply #1138 on: April 01, 2015, 08:19:23 PM »
Not sure how you see that, OL.  Seems to me that even 10% below average losses keep 2015 ahead of 2012.

I think the key juncture will be in mid May.  I think if we get good feedbacks and cool weather, the year will end up close to or just above 2011.

Average, we will pass 2007 and threaten the 2012 record.

If El Niño makes itself felt, and we get a positive AO consistently, the melt should blow well past 2012. I posted my own guesstimates about that a while back.  Nothing's jumped out at me suggesting I should change my assumptions, but it's still way early:

http://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php/topic,1149.msg46531.html#msg46531
This space for Rent.

themgt

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: April 01, 2015, 08:41:56 PM »
Thanks for the chart/commentary, OL - I'd be curious to see what that looks like if you re-ran the numbers for 2007->2014 only.

BTW slightly off-topic, but (as a computer programmer) I've been thinking this forum ought to have a GitHub organization where people can post source code/documents about how to generate these various homebrew analyses/graphs/etc - would you guys be interested in open sourcing the code?

OldLeatherneck

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #1140 on: April 01, 2015, 08:44:02 PM »
Not sure how you see that, OL.  Seems to me that even 10% below average losses keep 2015 ahead of 2012.

I think the key juncture will be in mid May.  I think if we get good feedbacks and cool weather, the year will end up close to or just above 2011.

Average, we will pass 2007 and threaten the 2012 record.

If El Niño makes itself felt, and we get a positive AO consistently, the melt should blow well past 2012. I posted my own guesstimates about that a while back.  Nothing's jumped out at me suggesting I should change my assumptions, but it's still way early:

http://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php/topic,1149.msg46531.html#msg46531

jdallen,

I agree that even 10% below average losses for the next 6-7 weeks will keep 2015 below 2012.  My concern is that 2012 had three semi-monthly record losses (June 1-15, August 1-15 and August 16-31), as well as well above average losses in all but one  of the remaining  semi-monthly periods.

For 2012 to have a reasonable chance of surpassing 2012, it needs to establish and maintain a substantial lead before solar insolation reaches it's maximum
"Share Your Knowledge.  It's a Way to Achieve Immortality."  ......the Dalai Lama

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: April 02, 2015, 08:20:43 AM »
IJIS:

13,647,655 km2(April 1, 2015)down 17,656 km2 from previous, 2nd lowest for date 2006 lower at 13,610,775 km2 (-36,880 km2).
Have a ice day!

viddaloo

• Nilas ice
  • Hardanger Sometimes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: April 02, 2015, 08:43:43 PM »
IJIS:

13,647,655 km2(April 1, 2015)down 17,656 km2 from previous, 2nd lowest for date 2006 lower at 13,610,775 km2 (-36,880 km2).

And drop of only 16,899 km² needed on April 2nd to be lower than 2006 and all else. All previous drops this week have been bigger.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 09:23:32 PM by viddaloo »
[]

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: April 04, 2015, 11:04:47 AM »
IJIS:

Sorry for the interruption, wi-fi problems in Hamburg, Germany.

13,610,885 km2(April 2, 2015)down 36,770 km2 from previous, and lowest (again) for the date.
Have a ice day!

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: April 04, 2015, 11:06:03 AM »
And IJIS is having a break from April 3 :(
Have a ice day!

viddaloo

• Nilas ice
  • Hardanger Sometimes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: April 04, 2015, 02:23:17 PM »
And IJIS is having a break from April 3 :(

Holiday on Ice?  ;D
[]

Ned W

« Reply #1146 on: April 07, 2015, 04:22:13 PM »
There seems to be a new version of the IJIS csv file now, with revised numbers.  IJIS so far this month:

1 Apr:  13638921 down 19219 from previous
2 Apr:  13595387 down 43534 from previous
3 Apr:  13544795 down 50592 from previous
4 Apr:  13504260 down 40535 from previous
5 Apr:  13492824 down 11436 from previous
6 Apr:  13445888 down 46936 from previous

Max extent for 2015 is 13942060, so the most recent extent is down 496172 from the max.

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: April 07, 2015, 04:24:32 PM »
IJIS:

13,445,888 km2(April 6, 2015)the lowest measured for this date.
Have a ice day!

Lord M Vader

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 60
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #1148 on: April 07, 2015, 07:08:53 PM »
Espen & Co: where do I find the new data from IJIS?

//LMV

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: April 07, 2015, 07:12:33 PM »
Espen & Co: where do I find the new data from IJIS?

//LMV

Here you are: https://ads.nipr.ac.jp/vishop/vishop-extent.html?N
Have a ice day!