Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: IJIS  (Read 2659583 times)

plinius

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: IJIS
« Reply #1300 on: May 29, 2015, 11:04:31 PM »
To link Wipneus' graph:

http://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=8.0;attach=15665;image

I can only see for last fall/winter that the cryosat points were slightly lower and that PIOMAS is far higher, in particular in relation to Cryosat.

seaicesailor

« Reply #1301 on: May 30, 2015, 12:20:26 AM »
To link Wipneus' graph:

http://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=8.0;attach=15665;image

I can only see for last fall/winter that the cryosat points were slightly lower and that PIOMAS is far higher, in particular in relation to Cryosat.

Hadnt noticed that. Thank you. I had paid more attention to the minima,  the three models (noise apart) following similar trend.
Eager to see what will come in June.

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 420
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #1302 on: May 30, 2015, 08:18:21 AM »
IJIS:

10,997,659 km2(May 29, 2015) down 68,300 km2 from previous.
Have a ice day!

seaicesailor

« Reply #1303 on: May 30, 2015, 10:09:03 AM »
Uncharted territory by big margin

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: May 30, 2015, 10:24:44 AM »
Uncharted territory by big margin

Yes. + 570.000 km2 ahead of both 2007 and 2012 for the date.
Have a ice day!

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1305 on: May 31, 2015, 07:45:46 AM »
IJIS:

10,938,100 km2(May 30, 2015)down 59,559 km2 from previous.
Have a ice day!

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: June 01, 2015, 05:23:01 AM »
IJIS:

10,878,571 km2(May 31, 2015)down 59,529 km2 from previous.
Have a ice day!

jdallen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 650
  • Likes Given: 244
« Reply #1307 on: June 01, 2015, 08:36:44 AM »
IJIS:

10,878,571 km2(May 31, 2015)down 59,529 km2 from previous.
Hunch:

IJIS continues dropping 50-70K KM2/day until it falls into line with the losses seen in 2012.

Things continue from there until we reach 2012 extent levels at the end of season.
This space for Rent.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 49
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #1308 on: June 01, 2015, 12:49:18 PM »
If you look at the following graph, there are two things that "appear" to be happening over time if you look at the THIRD GRAPHIC on the following page:

http://climatechangegraphs.blogspot.com/2012/08/arctic-sea-ice-volume-extent-charts_30.html

1)  The winter maximum is "flattening out" year over year....decade over decade.  The winter max is losing ground....but it is losing ground at a SLOWER rate than the summer minimum.

2)  The summer minimum is "dropping off the table"....or "plunging"....especially in 2011 and 2012.

If you think about it.....those things "should" be happening.  The ice is going to "freeze up" in the winter...but there will continue to be less and less MYI.  So while it will certainly be cold enough to freeze up....there will be less and less MYI to build on.

On the other end.....the summer minimum's should be plunging.  There is less and less MYI, so once it gets warm enough in the summer....the ice is going to go quickly.

Right now...the interesting part to watch is being played out in the Beaufort and just northeast of the Beaufort....where a good "chunk" of the MYI is.

The "noose is tightening" with each passing year as warmer waters push their way into the "interior" of the Arctic.

I except a record year low this year is likely.....but the overall thrust over several years time is clear to see.  The "plunge years" are here.....and they are here to stay.  The plunge will happen at an earlier date with each passing year.

FOX (RT) News....."The Trump Channel.....where truth and journalism are dead."

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: June 02, 2015, 05:44:15 AM »
IJIS:

10,845,785 km2(June 1, 2015)down 32,786 km2 from previous.
Have a ice day!

Bob Wallace

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 41
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #1310 on: June 02, 2015, 07:16:20 AM »
The winter maximum is "flattening out" year over year

Has someone done that math?  Something like the number of days that extent was within 5% of the annual high.  Done?  Graphed?

DavidR

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 36
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #1311 on: June 02, 2015, 07:36:19 AM »
The winter maximum is "flattening out" year over year

Has someone done that math?  Something like the number of days that extent was within 5% of the annual high.  Done?  Graphed?
Bob See the plateau hypothesis thread for discussion re flattening out.:
http://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php/topic,1211.0.html

Based on a 200K km^2 drop from the maximum the plateau has varied from 12 - 50 days over thr past 10 years with both 2006 & 2014 being < 15 days.  So I  don't see that the winter max is flattening out  as a general principle.
Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: June 02, 2015, 12:49:20 PM »
So I  don't see that the winter max is flattening out  as a general principle.

What I was trying to convey (but didn't state clearly at all).....is that the "winter max" is dropping at a lower rate than the "summer min" is dropping.

The summer/fall minimum is further away from the mean over the last 10 years than the winter max is from its mean.

So while I "see" the winter max "flattening out" (what I meant in hindsight....of course the "hill" is flattening out...it has to as it approaches zero over the next 1,000 years or more)....but I was struck by the "plunge" in several years of the summer/fall minimum, vs the more "mild" drop in the winter max over the past 10 years.  Visually...the plunge is obvious.....maybe the "why" the plunge vs the more mild drop in maximum?

The interesting and thought provoking thing for me (especially as a non-scientist....but a numbers guy CPA....and someone who loves to OBSERVE).....is the WHY of it.

By the way....thanks for the cross link....and the input.  As a NON-SCIENTIST.....and an observer of "things".....what YOU FOLKS (Neven and primary contributors) is so important from a POLICY standpoint (now if we can just get the policy people to look at the science!).

DavidR

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 36
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #1313 on: June 02, 2015, 02:06:22 PM »

What I was trying to convey (but didn't state clearly at all).....is that the "winter max" is dropping at a lower rate than the "summer min" is dropping.

The interesting and thought provoking thing for me (especially as a non-scientist....but a numbers guy CPA....and someone who loves to OBSERVE).....is the WHY of it.

One thing to consider is the location of the sea ice boundary in winter compared to in summer.  There are very few areas where the winter maximum can realistically reduce at the moment, Bering,  Okhotsz, North Atlantic, St Lawrence / Newfoundland.  Most of the larger boundaries are landlocked.  Most of the winter boundaries are actually  getting shorter as the ice retreats into the Arctic. 

So there is, for a few years yet, a situation where the winter ice reduces very slowly . At  some point the arctic ice will not always reach the outer seas and the ice exteny will start to reduce much faster. But by then the Arctic will be ice free for some part of the summer and that  will probably  be a bigger factor in the winter maximum decline.
Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore

seaicesailor

« Reply #1314 on: June 02, 2015, 02:55:22 PM »

One thing to consider is the location of the sea ice boundary in winter compared to in summer.  There are very few areas where the winter maximum can realistically reduce at the moment, Bering,  Okhotsz, North Atlantic, St Lawrence / Newfoundland.  Most of the larger boundaries are landlocked.  Most of the winter boundaries are actually  getting shorter as the ice retreats into the Arctic. 

So there is, for a few years yet, a situation where the winter ice reduces very slowly . At  some point the arctic ice will not always reach the outer seas and the ice exteny will start to reduce much faster. But by then the Arctic will be ice free for some part of the summer and that  will probably  be a bigger factor in the winter maximum decline.

That makes a lot of sense. The word "landlocked" is very important in this context.

Somebody once suggested what would happen with the Arctic should the CAA islands be slightly displaced and some channels windened. Increased export for instance.

Perhaps one of the reasons why Arctic was ice-free during winter in Pliocene had to do with slightly different geography, permitting the ice not to be as land-locked as right now. Three million years is a good period of time for appreciable tectonic displacements.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: June 02, 2015, 03:18:45 PM »
That makes a lot of sense. The word "landlocked" is very important in this context.

Yes...it is interesting to watch the SST anomaly's in the Arctic.  I have a graphic of June 24th from 2014 posted vs a graphic of today's SST posted....and its interesting to note the differences (second and third graphics posted on the following page):

http://climatechangegraphs.blogspot.com/2013/02/sea-surface-temperature-anomaly.html

Those warm SST's are trying to "push" into the inner circle earlier and earlier.  A couple things "stick out" to me this year on the warm side:  (1)  the waters off almost the entire Russian coastline are warming compared to last June....and the current graph is more than 3 weeks earlier than the June 24th, 2014 graphic, and (2) the area around Svalbard (both sides) is has made more "progress" this year.

Greenland (especially waters off of western Greenland as well as all of southern Greenland) is the "cool anomaly" this year (SST wise).

Nightvid Cole

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #1316 on: June 02, 2015, 03:45:03 PM »

The summer/fall minimum is further away from the mean over the last 10 years than the winter max is from its mean.

So while I "see" the winter max "flattening out" (what I meant in hindsight....of course the "hill" is flattening out...it has to as it approaches zero over the next 1,000 years or more)....but I was struck by the "plunge" in several years of the summer/fall minimum, vs the more "mild" drop in the winter max over the past 10 years.  Visually...the plunge is obvious.....maybe the "why" the plunge vs the more mild drop in maximum?

By the way....thanks for the cross link....and the input.  As a NON-SCIENTIST.....and an observer of "things".....what YOU FOLKS (Neven and primary contributors) is so important from a POLICY standpoint (now if we can just get the policy people to look at the science!).

I think it has a lot to do with snow and melt pond albedo effects, which are much larger in summer than in winter due to the much larger available solar radiation.

crandles

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 239
  • Likes Given: 81
« Reply #1317 on: June 02, 2015, 04:22:51 PM »

I think it has a lot to do with snow and melt pond albedo effects, which are much larger in summer than in winter due to the much larger available solar radiation.

I agree it is to do with albedo effects but not so much the snow and melt pond albedo but more the albedo of open water and thinner ice:

If you start a season with less ice volume, then the ice is thinner and melt of a fixed quantity of ice will almost certainly create more open water faster. This lowers the albedo in several ways: thinner ice has lower albedo as well as open water having lower albedo.

Snow and melt ponds also affect albedo and maybe there is more flatter FYI and less MYI compared to past years so there could well be more albedo lowering from this. However this is complicated: Thinner ice is weaker and so there can be more ridging so melt pond area could decline as we get weaker thinner ice in future. So some of this cannot be relied upon to continue into future.

Thus the more relevant albedo lowering is that from the thinner ice and higher open water formation efficiency because we can be fairly sure this will continue into future, causing further albedo lowering.

Obviously lower albedo means more energy captured so more melting in the melt season. This means the minimum declines faster than the maximum.

(I also doubt we can rely on the maximum declining as fast as it has in the recent past, but that is different matter.)

James Lovejoy

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #1318 on: June 02, 2015, 06:29:13 PM »
Perhaps one of the reasons why Arctic was ice-free during winter in Pliocene had to do with slightly different geography, permitting the ice not to be as land-locked as right now. Three million years is a good period of time for appreciable tectonic displacements.

The sea level during the pliocene is estimated at 10 to 40 meters higher.

That alone should cause a slightly different geography.

folke_kelm

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #1319 on: June 02, 2015, 09:17:02 PM »
The Bering strait was NOT open before late Miocene early Pliocene 7,3 -4,4 million years before present. So the circumstances with OPEN Bering Strait have been less favorable for freezing than before.
During he complete Pleistocene (ice age) The bering Strait was potentially open for ocean currents, dry in glacials because of low sea level (it does not matter, it was frozen anyway) and completely open for ocean currents throughout interglacials.
Ice free conditions can not be attributed to an open Bering Strait during Pleistocene, it froze over with open Bering Strait, it was unfrozen with closed Bering Strait before.
Nevertheless an open Bering Strait provides a pathway for warm water into the arctic ocean and i t will play an important role for water exchange, more important when sea level is rising because the waters of the Bering Strait are very shallow.

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1320 on: June 03, 2015, 05:41:22 AM »
IJIS:

10,800,117 km2(June 2, 2015)down 45,668 km2 from previous.
Have a ice day!

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: June 04, 2015, 05:46:04 AM »
IJIS:

10,753,060 km2(June 3, 2015)down 47,057 km2 from previous.
Have a ice day!

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: June 05, 2015, 11:37:33 AM »
IJIS:

10,688,968 km2(June 4, 2015)down 64,092 km2 from previous.
Have a ice day!

folke_kelm

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #1323 on: June 05, 2015, 11:58:45 AM »
espen, you are late today. Usually your extent report is the first i open at breakfast time while drinking coffee. :-)

Yuha

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 78
« Reply #1324 on: June 05, 2015, 12:01:29 PM »
The first big plunge of 2012 started on this date. Over 9 days from June 4 to June 13 the average loss was more than 125k km2 per day. 2015 is currently 664k below 2012 but needs to lose more than 51761 km2/day on average over the next 9 days to stay below 2012.

Jim Pettit

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 41
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #1325 on: June 05, 2015, 01:34:55 PM »
The first big plunge of 2012 started on this date. Over 9 days from June 4 to June 13 the average loss was more than 125k km2 per day. 2015 is currently 664k below 2012 but needs to lose more than 51761 km2/day on average over the next 9 days to stay below 2012.
Indeed. And while I realize this isn't the SIA thread, I'd also point out that today is the beginning of a two-week span in 2012 when area dropped by about 2 million km2, a remarkable average daily decrease of 142k. 2015 is currently running neck and neck with 2012; I suspect 2012 will be several hundred thousand km2 ahead 14 days from now...

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: June 05, 2015, 01:58:32 PM »

Indeed. And while I realize this isn't the SIA thread, I'd also point out that today is the beginning of a two-week span in 2012 when area dropped by about 2 million km2, a remarkable average daily decrease of 142k. 2015 is currently running neck and neck with 2012; I suspect 2012 will be several hundred thousand km2 ahead 14 days from now...

And that speaks to what is an obvious point....if the temps in the central Arctic stay above average...and indeed stay above freezing.....then ice melt can proceed QUICKLY.  Which is why I believe we have just "started" the "plunge sequence" over the past 5 years or so.  From here on out....we should EXPECT plunges in June....and indeed, over time....those plunges will come earlier and earlier in the year as the central Arctic warms up above freezing (earlier and earlier....and if you look at the DMI chart below, we are almost there).

SekeRob

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #1327 on: June 05, 2015, 04:02:57 PM »
Would be nice if the DMI chart had a second lead line in it at the [an arbitrary] meltpoint of seawater... -1.85Celcius, about 271.3K.

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: June 06, 2015, 09:01:31 AM »
The ads.nipr.ac.jp site down at the moment. :-[
Have a ice day!

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
  • Don't Vote NatC or PopCon, Save Lives!
    • View Profile
    • The Arctic sea ice Great White Con
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 87
« Reply #1329 on: June 06, 2015, 11:43:26 AM »
if you look at the DMI chart below, we are almost there

Nick Stokes has just made a much more flexible "DMI clone" available over at Moyhu, based on NCEP/NCAR data:

http://moyhu.blogspot.co.uk/2015/05/daily-arctic-temperatures.html

It currently only has data for 2015. Here's one I prepared earlier:

"The most revolutionary thing one can do always is to proclaim loudly what is happening" - Rosa Luxemburg

Wipneus

• Citizen scientist
  • Young ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctische Pinguin
  • Liked: 1025
« Reply #1330 on: June 06, 2015, 12:10:10 PM »
The ads.nipr.ac.jp site down at the moment. :-[

We could have expected that, from the twitter page:

ADS_NIPR ‏@ADS_NIPR 29 mei

施設点検のため、以下の日程で停止します。 System stops during following hours due to inspection of the electric facilities. 2015/06/05 16:00 - 06/08 11:00(JST)

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: June 08, 2015, 05:24:16 AM »
IJIS:

10,588,884 km2(June 7, 2015)down 100,084 km2 since June 4th.
Have a ice day!

Lord M Vader

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 60
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #1332 on: June 08, 2015, 06:31:15 PM »
If current trend keep go on we'll see 2015 no longer be the lowest on record in about a week or so...

However, if the current GFS 06z run do hold for the next three days I think it's fair to say that Hudson Bay and Kara Sea will see some real damage of the ice there due to warm air intrusion there. Baffin/Newfoundland Bay should also see an ice loss in the periphery there.

The real interesting thing is what will happen to the "heat blob" in Central Siberia when/if it reaches Kara and Laptev Sea.. The 850 hPa temps are somewhere in the range of 10-15 degrees! THAT my freinds should mean a lot of warm melt water to the Arctic. Of course, the temps might be low if there will be an inversion forming there with a lot of fog which is quite usual as warm air enters cold waters.

In "fantasyland" at +168 hours at GFS 06z run the North Pole will see temps at 850 hPa being at 0-6oC...

Let's see what the next couple of forecast runs says!!

Best, LV

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: June 09, 2015, 05:39:40 AM »
IJIS:

10,590,546 km2(June 8, 2015)plus 1,662 km2 from previous.
Have a ice day!

Vergent

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #1334 on: June 09, 2015, 07:10:01 AM »
Espen,

THe GAC15#1 is spreading out the ice, pumping air into the coming extent balloon.

Verg

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1335 on: June 10, 2015, 05:22:21 AM »
IJIS:

10,588,218 km2(June 9, 2015)down 2,328 km2 from previous.
Have a ice day!

epiphyte

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 22
  • Likes Given: 21
« Reply #1336 on: June 10, 2015, 06:15:00 AM »
Espen,

THe GAC15#1 is spreading out the ice, pumping air into the coming extent balloon.

Verg

Balloon is right. Calls to mind "The Charge of the Light Brigade." ...Into the valley of death, etc.

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: June 11, 2015, 05:26:47 AM »
IJIS:

10,542,295 km2(June 10, 2015)down 45,923 km2 from previous and lowest measured for the date.
Have a ice day!

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: June 11, 2015, 05:28:52 AM »
IJIS:

I dont see 2015 will see any real competition until mid June?

That was close ;) ;)
Have a ice day!

Sleepy

« Reply #1339 on: June 11, 2015, 05:44:59 AM »
But no cigar. What about this sign?  :)

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
« Reply #1340 on: June 11, 2015, 09:26:21 AM »
But no cigar. What about this sign?  :)

Thanks for the image. Might use it.
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: June 12, 2015, 05:59:16 AM »
IJIS:

10,505,832 km2(June 11, 2015) down 36,463 km2 from previous and 2nd lowest for the date 2012 was lower.
Have a ice day!

Sleepy

« Reply #1342 on: June 12, 2015, 06:12:43 AM »
Here you go. ;)

sedziobs

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 63
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #1343 on: June 12, 2015, 04:55:57 PM »
The difference in the Greenland Sea that Wipneus pointed out due to the coarser resolution of JAXA vs UH is still there, plus a similar gap is now seen in Hudson Bay.  There is also such a gap in Baffin that has been sustained since March.  An eyeball estimate says that these gaps combined amount to around 200k.  At least the Hudson and Baffin gaps should close as the melt season progresses, so I would consider them to be "artificial" increases in the JAXA data, and also contributing to the current "pause" in losses.  Though take that with a grain of salt, as my opinion is certainly not an expert one.

Lord M Vader

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 60
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #1344 on: June 13, 2015, 07:20:52 AM »
IJIS: 10,457,859 km2, down 47,973 km2. 3rd lowest for the date. 2012 and 2011 were both lower! If no real substantial melt will happen the next few days, 2010 will also be lower than 2015.

Time to add a new term to "June cliff"? "June stall" perhaps? Or "summer stall"? :P

//LMV

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: June 13, 2015, 07:55:07 AM »
IJIS:

10,457,859 km2(June 12, 2015)down 47,973 km2 from previous and 3rd lowest for the date 2011 and 2012 was lower.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 08:47:52 AM by Espen »
Have a ice day!

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: June 14, 2015, 06:51:29 AM »
IJIS:

10,402,787 km2(June 13, 2015)down 55,072 km2 from previous and 3rd lowest for the date 2011 and 2012 was lower.
Have a ice day!

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: June 15, 2015, 05:24:36 AM »
IJIS:

10,337,251 km2(June 14, 2015)down 65,536 km2 from previous and 3rd lowest for the date 2011 and 2012 was lower.
Have a ice day!

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: June 16, 2015, 05:27:05 AM »
IJIS:

10,283,797 km2(June 15, 2015)down 53,454 km2 from previous and 3rd lowest measured for the date.
Have a ice day!

Sleepy

« Reply #1349 on: June 17, 2015, 04:36:32 AM »
Lookalikes, aren't they pretty?