Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Andes Glaciers  (Read 1551 times)

Sigmetnow

• ASIF Emperor
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 155
  • Likes Given: 81
Andes Glaciers
« on: May 06, 2018, 12:44:49 AM »
In 1941, Lake Palcacocha spewed a glacial lake outburst flood that destroyed the city of Huaraz, Peru.  Today, fueled by tourism, Huaraz has grown into the second largest city in the central Peruvian Andes—its population has quadrupled.  And the volume of the lake is now 34 times greater than it was in 1941 — a ticking time bomb of 4.5 billion gallons of water.

Beneath a Melting Glacier, a Peruvian Town Prepares For the Worst
https://earther.com/beneath-a-melting-glacier-a-peruvian-town-prepares-for-1825713749
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

Martin Gisser

• ASIF Middle Class
  • alias Mars Joh. P. Florifulgurator
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 50
  • Likes Given: 92
Re: Andes Glaciers
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 03:37:20 AM »
Well, heck, somehow human overpopulation has to be killed off. Better flood than war, pestilence, or starvation. When will they ever learn? When will they ever learn...
"The universe is irrelevant for all practical purposes, so better forget about being thrown into it." --Florifulgurator

magnamentis

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
    • Philosophy Ethics Numerology Mikrocirkulation Vaskular Therapie Gesundheit Blut Gesundheit Schmerzen Multiple Sklerose Diabetes Immunsystem Fibromyalgia Modular Mobile Computing iOS Software OSX Android Custom Rom Rooted
  • Liked: 66
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2018, 08:49:35 PM »
Well, heck, somehow human overpopulation has to be killed off. Better flood than war, pestilence, or starvation. When will they ever learn? When will they ever learn...

good question, the answer is never before extinction. how comes i see it that way, because of history while extinction in the past was local, tribes, kingdoms etc. and now that we're globalised it will perhaps be global but at least more widely spread so to say ;)

however, thinking about things like that i know exactly why i'm a huge fan of science fiction or space exploration, it's the only chance we have, latest once the red giant will swallow us in about 4 billion years LOL
http://magnamentis.com
Knowledge, Understanding & Insight Are Among The Best Sources For Personal Freedom & Vitality !

Susan Anderson

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 33
  • Likes Given: 154
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 08:35:57 PM »

good question, the answer is never before extinction. how comes i see it that way, because of history while extinction in the past was local, tribes, kingdoms etc. and now that we're globalised it will perhaps be global but at least more widely spread so to say ;)

however, thinking about things like that i know exactly why i'm a huge fan of science fiction or space exploration, it's the only chance we have, latest once the red giant will swallow us in about 4 billion years LOL

Trouble is the environmental and financial cost of going to Mars (or anywhere else) is astronomical and impractical, while the cost of fixing things here is only unaffordable because a staggering fraction of earth's apex predators haven't learned how to think reflect, and act as a community for mutual benefit.

ReverendMilkbone

• ASIF Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2018, 07:41:42 PM »