Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Climate, Agriculture and Other Pertinent Documentaries  (Read 4515 times)

Ktb

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 158
  • Likes Given: 20
Climate, Agriculture and Other Pertinent Documentaries
« on: May 16, 2018, 07:42:09 AM »
After searching through the forum, I was unable to find a thread dedicated to documentaries. Just comments on individual threads for documentaries. Figured it was time to have a thread with this sole purpose.

So please post your links, post just the names if they are on a streaming service, etc. Perhaps if this thread gets enough interest I'll stay on top of consolidating everybody's links to my top comment so they are more easily found.

Netflix:
  • Catching The Sun
  • How To Change The World
  • Fishpeople
  • Chasing Coral
  • A Plastic Ocean
  • Before The Flood
  • Rotten
  • Frozen Planet: On Thin Ice
  • Cowspiracy: The Sustainability Secret

Youtube:
  • Gasland
  • Gasland 2
  • An Inconvenient Truth
  • Merchants of Doubt

Hulu:
  • Killing The Colorado
  • Coal Rush
  • Sacred Cod
  • From The Ashes
  • An Inconvenient Sequel: Truth To Power
  • Bluefin

I guess let me know if you all prefer the links or would like to hunt for them with only the name. It isn't as easy to post links here as on other platforms and I'm having some difficulty
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 08:49:41 PM by Ktb »
And, given a story to enact in which the world is a foe to be conquered, they will conquer it like a foe, and one day, inevitably, their foe will lie bleeding to death at their feet, as the world is now.
- Ishmael

Ktb

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
Re: Climate, Agriculture and Other Pertinent Documentaries
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 06:47:35 AM »
If you want to be absolutely shocked by a documentary, nothing stands out more than Merchants Of Doubt.

And if you are as enraptured as I was with it, the book is even better.
And, given a story to enact in which the world is a foe to be conquered, they will conquer it like a foe, and one day, inevitably, their foe will lie bleeding to death at their feet, as the world is now.
- Ishmael

Ktb

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2018, 05:53:48 AM »
Added more. Let me know if you all are watching and what you are watching!
- Ishmael

CDN_dude

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 12:21:01 AM »
I'm sure it will be too lefty and optimistic for some on here but I enjoyed the French doc called Demain (Tomorrow in English).

Ktb

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2019, 03:13:50 AM »
Apparently Peter Wadhams is getting a documentary made about him.

From the Ice Itself

https://fromtheiceitself.com/

- Ishmael

nanning

• Nilas ice
  • 0Kg CO₂, 37 KWh/wk,125L H₂O/wk, No offspring
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 273
  • Likes Given: 23170
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2019, 05:25:45 AM »
Great initiative Ktb!

This is not a documentary but a must watch I'd say:

Brave New Ocean - Lecture by Dr. Jeremy Jackson 1h09m
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell
"It is preoccupation with what other people from your groups think of you, that prevents you from living freely and nobly" - Nanning
Why do you keep accumulating stuff?

Ktb

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2019, 04:39:16 AM »

Zach Labe gives a talk. Melting Ice: Context, Causes, and Consequences of Polar Amplification.
- Ishmael

nanning

• Nilas ice
  • 0Kg CO₂, 37 KWh/wk,125L H₂O/wk, No offspring
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 273
  • Likes Given: 23170
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2019, 05:28:56 PM »
I think this is a great listen (it's audio only with a great splash screen) and important information.

(1h09m53)
Eco-lapse: IPBES Global Assessment summary—Biodiversity loss & extinction crisis—Ashes Ashes #74
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell
"It is preoccupation with what other people from your groups think of you, that prevents you from living freely and nobly" - Nanning
Why do you keep accumulating stuff?

Florifulgurator

• Grease ice
  • Virtual world alter ego / अवतार of Martin Gisser
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 236
  • Likes Given: 369
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2019, 03:38:27 PM »
Great initiative Ktb!

This is not a documentary but a must watch I'd say:

Brave New Ocean - Lecture by Dr. Jeremy Jackson 1h09m
[...]
Indeed. Jeremy Jackson bears repeating. You can't paint a more realistico-depressing picture of the state of our oceans. And his lectures are old, or better: classical, already.
"The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or committed communist, but rather people for whom the difference between facts and fiction, true and false, no longer exists." ~ Hannah Arendt
"The Force can have a strong influence on the weak minded." ~ Obi-Wan Kenobi

Ktb

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2020, 11:11:34 AM »
Tiger King: Murder, Mayhem and Madness.

Docuseries on Netflix. Good lord.

Really sad look at big cats in captivity. Big look at how terrible humans are. Relevant here? Probably not. Fun to watch if you need a break? Yes.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 01:13:44 PM by Ktb »
- Ishmael

Ktb

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2020, 10:08:11 AM »
Planet of the Humans directed by Jeff Gibbs with executive producer Michael Moore.
I have not watched this yet. Feel free to leave your thoughts if you already have.

- Ishmael

Florifulgurator

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2020, 03:23:47 PM »
Planet of the Humans directed by Jeff Gibbs with executive producer Michael Moore.
I have not watched this yet. Feel free to leave your thoughts if you already have.
Don't waste your time and neurons. Better read the reviews.

https://www.filmsforaction.org/watch/michael-moore-presents-planet-of-the-humans/
A Note from Films For Action (Last Updated 4/27 with Film Resources at the bottom):

When Planet of the Humans first came out, we added it to the site before watching it because we trusted Michael Moore's track record of releasing quality films that are factually accurate. After we watched it, we had issues with the film but assumed it was at least factually accurate, since Michael knows his films will be rigorously fact-checked.

We are disheartened and dismayed to report that the film is full of misinformation (1, 2, 3, 4) - so much so that for half a day we removed the film from the site.

Ultimately, we decided to put it back up because we believe media literacy, critique and debate is the best solution to misinformation.
[...]

[...]
*The film never once mentions permaculture? As the editor of this site, I'm aware of hundreds of positive ideas, solutions and experiments in new ways of living all around the world, which are essentially answers to the filmmakers' despairing question, "where do we go from here?" It's painful to think about how all this positive knowledge is still not getting the attention it deserves while this ill-informed FUD (Fear, Uncertainty & Doubt) is getting the global spotlight.
[...]

Here are 20 films that tell me "it's not all hopeless."

To be clear, if saving civilization as it exists was the goal, then it's true, the future is looking bleak.
[...]

Our task is to imagine and design an ecological civilization that can thrive at vastly lower energy and consumption levels - a civilization based not on the old paradigm of "sustainable development" but on ecological regeneration - where the human presence on the Earth generates higher and higher levels of biodiversity and ecological health.

These films point us in the direction we need to go.
(Some good links, esp. this great essay by Daniel Christian Wahl:
https://www.filmsforaction.org/articles/beyond-sustainability-we-are-living-in-the-century-of-regeneration/
)

I have attached Michael Mann's reaction here: https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php/topic,256.msg261853.html#msg261853
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 03:41:10 PM by Florifulgurator »
"The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or committed communist, but rather people for whom the difference between facts and fiction, true and false, no longer exists." ~ Hannah Arendt

Florifulgurator

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2020, 02:33:13 AM »
ClimateCrocks quoting Ketan Joshi:

Planet of the Stupid

Exhautive, devastating and much-deserved point by point takedown of Michael Moore’s sadly bogus energy doc. This is the the one I’ll be linking people to, for now. [...]

[...]
It should have faded off into the pit of Youtube’s unwatched terabytes, but it didn’t, because mediocrity is celebrated, boosted and broadcast if it comes from someone who looks and sounds the right way. That is a serious vulnerability. The hard work of climate and energy advocates, as they grapple with challenges like [...] can be shattered by the monotone arrogance of a single person inflicted with the Dunning Kruger effect.

Somber music.
https://ketanjoshi.co/2020/04/24/planet-of-the-humans-a-reheated-mess-of-lazy-old-myths/
https://climatecrocks.com/2020/04/25/planet-of-the-stupid/

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1047
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2020, 08:23:32 AM »
I just watched the Gibbs movie and quite liked it.  Agreed it has drawbacks, but the big takeaway for me was their pitiless attention to human impact on the living world. Even if we were to completetely replace use of fossil fuel with renewables, the ecological devastation would nevertheless be quite horrendous. We must reduce our weight, the world trembles already under our tread.

We must live simply, that the world may simply live.

sidd

Niall Dollard

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 463
  • Likes Given: 117
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2020, 10:05:38 AM »

I have attached Michael Mann's reaction here: https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php/topic,256.msg261853.html#msg261853

Thanks FFG.

You mean the other Michael (Moore).

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 99
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2021, 06:14:05 AM »
Treeline (Full Film) | The Secret Life of Trees

"Follow a group of skiers, snowboarders, scientists and healers to the birch forests of Japan, the red cedars of British Columbia and the bristlecones of Nevada, as they explore an ancient story written in rings."

<