Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Emerging trends in global freshwater availability  (Read 125 times)

Sigmetnow

• ASIF Emperor
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 15
  • Likes Given: 6
Emerging trends in global freshwater availability
« on: May 16, 2018, 08:15:56 PM »
Newly analyzed data from groundwater-detecting satellites reveals a clear human fingerprint on the global water cycle.

“We are very literally seeing all of the hotspots for climate change, for changing extremes of flooding and drought, and for the impact of human water management….”

Article:
The map offers a powerful first glimpse of what climate change and over-exploitation of water resources looks like — a “global pattern of freshwater redistribution, due to climate change,” according to Famiglietti. It’s stark, visual evidence that the way humans use water is unsustainable.
The study’s authors took 14 years of data from NASA’s Gravity Recovery and Climate Experiment (GRACE), which measures minute fluctuations in the Earth’s gravitational field as water moves around the planet. They then tried to track down the root causes of the biggest changes they found — an analysis that took eight years to complete. In two-thirds of the cases, the researchers discovered a direct link to human activity. And in some of those, especially in remote regions of southern Africa and China, the colossal scale of the shifts was previously unknown.
https://grist.org/article/global-water-resources-in-jeopardy-according-to-groundbreaking-new-study/

The study:
Emerging trends in global freshwater availability
Freshwater availability is changing worldwide. Here we quantify 34 trends in terrestrial water storage observed by the Gravity Recovery and Climate Experiment (GRACE) satellites during 2002–2016 and categorize their drivers as natural interannual variability, unsustainable groundwater consumption, climate change or combinations thereof. Several of these trends had been lacking thorough investigation and attribution, including massive changes in northwestern China and the Okavango Delta. Others are consistent with climate model predictions. This observation-based assessment of how the world’s water landscape is responding to human impacts and climate variations provides a blueprint for evaluating and predicting emerging threats to water and food security.
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-018-0123-1

The next generation of GRACE satellites, now scheduled for launching next Tuesday, May 22, should provide additional evidence of exactly how humans are altering the planet’s water cycle, and with more accuracy.
https://spaceflightnow.com/2018/05/16/new-target-dates-set-for-next-two-falcon-9-launches/
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

Archimid

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 15
  • Likes Given: 17
Re: Emerging trends in global freshwater availability
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 03:27:41 PM »
wow. I haven't read the article but it looks fascinating, this looks like a must read. 2 things that jumped at me when I read Sigmetnow outstanding summary:

The study’s authors took 14 years of data from NASA’s Gravity Recovery and Climate Experiment (GRACE), which measures minute fluctuations in the Earth’s gravitational field as water moves around the planet.

This is an amazing measurement. The science and technology that needs to be accumulated and applied to measure the "splashing" of the Earth's water using gravity is just incredible. I'm convinced we have the science and the people to stop climate change. It can be done.

The next generation of GRACE satellites, now scheduled for launching next Tuesday, May 22, should provide additional evidence of exactly how humans are altering the planet’s water cycle, and with more accuracy.
I know many will be uncomfortable with me saying this because having heroes is not cool but I want to point out that Falcon 9 is taking these amazing machines to space. Godspeed Falcon 9 carrying the next generation GRACE satellites.
I am an energy reservoir seemingly intent on lowering entropy for self preservation.

ghoti

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: Emerging trends in global freshwater availability
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 05:33:36 PM »
Note the area of trending wetter marked 27 on the map. Just happens to be the area a frequent poster in the forum claimed  was greening because of increased CO2 (despite no where else in the world greening in the same CO2 environment).