Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Cleaning up the Arctic  (Read 2611 times)

martalunde68

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 0
Cleaning up the Arctic
« on: July 17, 2018, 04:42:28 PM »
The Arctic environment, as is well known, is extremely harsh. But at the same time it is equally delicate. Despite the long distances separating the Arctic from the densely populated territories, a huge amount of litter is making its way to this remote area and threats the pristine ecosystem. People might think that the problem is as remote as the Arctic itself. But, in fact, it is urgent more than ever.

Drawing attention to the actual experience of cleaning up the Arctic can really help to inspire people to protect the Arctic environment. And, fortunately, this July was rich with at least a couple of worthy role models.

The first one of them I recently came across was the initiative of the Association of Arctic Expedition Cruise Operators (AECO) to combat marine pollution by engaging thousands of cruise passengers in cleanups in the Arctic. In Svalbard alone, which is notorious for being polluted with plastic, expedition ships pick up several tons of beach litter each summer. Moreover, I found out that the AECO launched new Arctic cleanup guidelines to motivate people to be part of this important effort.

The other example to mention is the ecological efforts of the Russian Northern Fleet (surprisingly!), which sailed to the New Siberia Islands with the aim to collect tons of scrap metal during the summer and then transport it to the mainland for recycling. Reportedly, by this time last year  the Russians collected about 1100 tons of scrap metal in the Arctic.

Both examples differ from each other, but when it comes to securing the Arctic environment, any kind of help matters. As for me, I find all above mentioned inspiring. What about you?

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1337
  • Likes Given: 618
Re: Cleaning up the Arctic
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 05:45:27 PM »
Definitely inspiring, although I also believe cruise ships shouldn't go anywhere near the Arctic (or anywhere, really).

I just talked with my daughter yesterday about how we may go and clean up some island in the Adriatic. We made a trip with our kayak to a couple of uninhabited islands and they were completely littered.
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

martalunde68

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 09:15:51 AM »
Definitely inspiring, although I also believe cruise ships shouldn't go anywhere near the Arctic (or anywhere, really).

I just talked with my daughter yesterday about how we may go and clean up some island in the Adriatic. We made a trip with our kayak to a couple of uninhabited islands and they were completely littered.

Your and your daughter’s efforts deserve the highest appreciation!

Honestly, this is not surprising that you found the islands so much littered, given that the Adriatic Sea is a hotbed of tourism. What really astounds me is that litter pollution of Arctic beaches is similar to densely populated areas.

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1017
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2018, 10:36:57 AM »
recently 2500 women went skinny dipping in Ireland to break a record .. sounds environmentally friendly .. but no .. they covered themselves in glitter first , now on the way to the Arctic too ...
b.c.
There is no death , the Son of God is We .

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1337
  • Likes Given: 618
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2018, 04:42:10 PM »
Coincidentally, these news reports showed up in my mail box today:

Barents Observer

Polar bears in eastern Barents Sea have most chemical pollutants
Polar bears following the sea-ice in hunt for seals have 30-35% higher concentration of perfluoroalkyl substances compared to coastal bears and levels are higher further east than the Svalbard area.

How to clean up PCBs in polar bears? Wait, I know! We let them go extinct!

AccuWeather

12-year-old engineer invents device to combat ocean microplastic pollution

Saving the planet’s oceans from plastic pollution isn’t on the agenda of a typical 12-year-old. However, sixth-grade inventor Anna Du is working to achieve just that.

Du said that a unique feature of her project is the mathematical algorithm she utilizes to identify the microplastics.

“What I’ve been doing is taking pictures of plastics underwater,” she said. “After I found out that selectively picking spots out of the picture was really time-consuming, I decided to make an algorithm that could identify what is plastic and what isn’t.”

12-year-olds making algorithms... What is the world coming to?

But hold it, we've found the reason of Arctic pollution:

UFOLOGISTS HAVE SHOWN EVIDENCE OF THE EXISTENCE OF “UFO” IN THE ARCTIC AND ANTARCTIC

The aliens allegedly violate the ecosystem of the region.

Ufologists from India recently conducted a study of the Arctic and Antarctic to detect there aliens. In the published report the researchers said that they found evidence of a UFO in the ice regions, reports the Chronicle.info with reference to u-news.com.ua.

Ufologists are reminded that the Arctic and Antarctic still remains one of the most poorly explored places on Earth, and there you can find different types of deadly algae anywhere else on the planet is not inhabited. This, according to the researchers, is already talking about the presence of alien bases. Ufologists claim that even Google Earth can find traces of a mysterious interplanetary objects in the Arctic and Antarctic, and they consistently found space alien landings. Another proof of the existence of UFO researchers called NASA discovered the hole in the canadian Arctic sea ice.

Ufologists claim that aliens violate the ecosystem of the area and spread bacteria there in the pursuit of humanity.

No link, sorry.  ;)
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

martalunde68

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2018, 05:00:23 PM »
recently 2500 women went skinny dipping in Ireland to break a record .. sounds environmentally friendly .. but no .. they covered themselves in glitter first , now on the way to the Arctic too ...
b.c.

As far as the story goes, they did it with the noblest goal – to raise funds for children’s cancer charity.

And here you’ve just given the humanity a great idea! Why wouldn’t 2500 men set a dipping record in order to raise funds for cleaning up the Arctic? ;)

SteveMDFP

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 594
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2018, 10:57:53 PM »

Ufologists claim that even Google Earth can find traces of a mysterious interplanetary objects in the Arctic and Antarctic, and they consistently found space alien landings. Another proof of the existence of UFO researchers called NASA discovered the hole in the canadian Arctic sea ice.

Ufologists claim that aliens violate the ecosystem of the area and spread bacteria there in the pursuit of humanity.

No link, sorry.  ;)
UFOLOGISTS HAVE SHOWN EVIDENCE OF THE EXISTENCE OF “UFO” IN THE ARCTIC AND ANTARCTIC
https://sivtimes.com/ufologists-have-shown-evidence-of-the-existence-of-ufo-in-the-arctic-and-antarctic/61714/

Just in time.  We'll now harness the alien zero-point energy source and solve all the world's problems.  Or open a wormhole to Earth-II and evacuate the planet, so we can destroy another planet.