Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Loading more than on electrical car in a garage, does anybody know a product ?  (Read 3257 times)

etienne

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • About energy
  • Liked: 309
  • Likes Given: 23
Hello,

This is not an issue right now, but might become one in the next years on a building I have to manage. If you have 14 places in the garage, and something like 6 electrical cars have to be loaded at the same time, do you know any product that can make sure that breakers don't jump  when the 6 cars are loading their batteries and that each car is fully loaded when the owner want's to leave?

Thanks,

Etienne

jacksmith4tx

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
    • Photon mine
  • Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 10
Who is paying for the electricity? The consumer needs a price signal or they tend to abuse the system.
There are Level 2 chargers that can go up to 80 AMPS but you might have to upgrade your utility service connection ($,$$$). I think 40 AMPS is plenty for most EVs.
Science is a thought process, technology will change reality.

ghoti

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 12
  • Likes Given: 15
Something like the combination of Zappi and Eddi from MyEnergi perhaps. They seem to allow setting required minimum battery charge while controlling power used to match desired load conditions.

SteveMDFP

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 594
  • Likes Given: 43
Who is paying for the electricity? The consumer needs a price signal or they tend to abuse the system.
There are Level 2 chargers that can go up to 80 AMPS but you might have to upgrade your utility service connection ($,$$$). I think 40 AMPS is plenty for most EVs.

Of course, the requisite amp rating would depend on voltage.  110v in US and 220 in most of Europe, I velieve.

etienne

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • About energy
Well, we don't want to upgrade the connection with the utility, but would like to load the batteries of the cars without going over the available power. The aim is to have a stable load, maybe even to do demand response.

Car owners will pay for the electricity, and the counter is not the issue. The problem is really to adapt the charging power to the number of cars needing power.

Regarding Zappi, I don't think that 2 Zappi can communicate to share the available power. I have only seen a stand alone configuration.

On the long run, the aim would be to load the cars with the PV on the roof, but this is only in 15 years (or earlier if subsidies end sooner than expected).
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 06:31:30 AM by etienne »

ghoti

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 12
  • Likes Given: 15
It looks like some charger manufacturers do allow you to manage the power to several chargers to prevent the overall load from exceeding limits.

For example Chargepoint:
https://www.chargepoint.com/products/power-management-faq/

and EVBox:
https://www.evbox.com/learn/faq/difference-priority-load-balancing

Clippercreek sells pairs of chargers the split the load if both are used at once.

etienne

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • About energy
Thanks for the links. They are very useful.

etienne

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • About energy
Looks like it is a standard feature now. Zappi can manage up to 6 devices together. I called different suppliers today and they all have load balancing on car loading systems.