Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: 4th US national climate assesment  (Read 4460 times)

Pmt111500

4th US national climate assesment
« on: November 24, 2018, 04:20:38 AM »
Of course most here know how to find this piece, but anyway, here you can check this report out. https://www.globalchange.gov/nca4
Pretty sure the current Trumpistani government doesn't give a rat's ass worth of consideration to this report. Of course future might reveal this is totally watered down already, but I haven't read critical reviews yet.

Sleepy

• Nilas ice
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 120
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: 4th US national climate assesment
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2018, 07:31:50 AM »
What did the asses me(a)nt? Sorry but I actually read the thread title in Swenglish. Asses are what they are(?), and "ment" in Swedish = mena, menade and translates to; meant.

Sorry for another useless post in a useless world, we don't even have a government here. They are fighting amongst themselves.
Omnia mirari, etiam tritissima.
-
Science is a jealous mistress and takes little account of a man's feelings.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2018, 04:12:01 PM »
What did the asses me(a)nt? Sorry but I actually read the thread title in Swenglish. Asses are what they are(?), and "ment" in Swedish = mena, menade and translates to; meant.

Sorry for another useless post in a useless world, we don't even have a government here. They are fighting amongst themselves.

Quit boasting!  ::)
Terry

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1153
  • Likes Given: 430
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2018, 04:13:19 PM »
“The federally mandated study was supposed to come out in December but was released by the Trump administration on Friday, at a time when many Americans are on a long holiday weekend, distracted by family and shopping.”

“The day after Thanksgiving is notorious in the media as the single best time to bury bad news. At the Wall Street Journal they'd save crummy pieces for months to bury them.”
- a former WSJ employee

Katharine Hayhoe  11/23/18:
“I wrote the climate scenarios chapter myself so I can confirm it considers ALL scenarios, from those where we go carbon negative before end of century to those where carbon emissions continue to rise. What WH says is demonstrably false.”
https://twitter.com/khayhoe/status/1066132449179111426

Climate change will shrink US economy and kill thousands, government report warns
https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/23/health/climate-change-report-bn/index.html
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 602
  • Likes Given: 409
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2018, 05:04:34 PM »
Very interesting, Sig. I had not heard about that side of Thanksgiving/Black Friday, but it makes sense.

ETA: And I just noticed this on The Hill: "Trump administration criticized over timing of climate change report" https://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/418054-environmentalists-blast-trump-administration-over-timing-of-federal

Sleepy, I'm afraid I love puns, multi-lingual or otherwise, so I liked yours, and stole it:

In the US, our leaders and their lawyers just keep spewing absurdities leaving the rest of us to try to come up with some kind of assessment of just what the asses meant!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 05:27:28 PM by wili »
"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2018, 05:12:06 PM »
A great segment by @MichaelEMann on @CNN this morning. A clear and simple message that needs to be repeated. Including personal responsibility. “The fire is very large and I only have a teaspoon. But there are millions of us and we all have teaspoons!!” (Amos Oz). And votes.
https://twitter.com/johnfehlauer/status/1066328606241169409

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1012
  • Likes Given: 1034
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2018, 05:45:29 PM »
'we all have teaspoons' , sadly mostly made of plastic , and most of us are adding fuel to the fire , not putting it out ! Have a n'ice day ! .. b.c.
Conflict is the root of all evil , for being blind it does not see whom it attacks . Yet it always attacks the Son Of God , and the Son of God is you .

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5289
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2018, 05:47:36 PM »
ass

You maligned the ass.
"An animal of the horse family, which is typically smaller than a horse and has longer ears and a braying call." (OED)

Yes, it is used used informally to mean a foolish person, but that is just the sort of unfair abuse this hardworking honest beast of burden gets.

The members of the Trump Administration are not merely foolish and stupid. They know what they do. They are arses, and that is being polite. The people who wrote the report at least put "climate change" into it all over the place, but could not swallow the whole enchilada - too much chili.
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2018, 08:22:51 PM »
ass

You maligned the ass.
"An animal of the horse family, which is typically smaller than a horse and has longer ears and a braying call." (OED)

Yes, it is used used informally to mean a foolish person, but that is just the sort of unfair abuse this hardworking honest beast of burden gets.

The members of the Trump Administration are not merely foolish and stupid. They know what they do. They are arses, and that is being polite. The people who wrote the report at least put "climate change" into it all over the place, but could not swallow the whole enchilada - too much chili.

And they're mulish in their beliefs. ::)
Terry

Pmt111500

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2018, 04:24:10 AM »
This can't be off topic. Assessemente quatre d'etats unite.... Awww f... No, can't remember

That's a typo, by definition, i think. Dropping letters only indicates the urgency of the issue  :D :-[ ;). In spite of possibly getting accusations of copyright infringements from the high level  officials of a large country, I say that words like 'Ögraandisment' are hard, and silent letters are a scam and a fake, abolish them!

Dropped out of French class after one year, protesting in my mind, there's no way I ever get the differences between swedish, english and french spelling. The high school Deutche sprache was also too much. It would help in language studies if the same sound would be written similarly. This is one thing that divides peoples.

Google tranlate helps
Quatrième évaluation nationale sur le changement climatique
Kwatrem evaluashun nashional syyr lö shaansmãnt klimatik. Ok?

« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 05:00:29 AM by Pmt111500 »

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2018, 09:21:24 PM »
Katharine Hayhoe’s response, rolled into one page, with charts, links, and videos:
The Fourth US National Climate Assessment was released on Friday. Since then, a number of politicians + pundits have made statements about it that are not accurate. As an author, I'm here to set the record straight. Here we go!
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1067450865303330818.html

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2018, 07:50:48 PM »
The Climate Report the Trump Administration Didn’t Want You to See
Even more telling: President Trump on Monday responded to questions about the report by saying “I don’t believe it.”
https://therevelator.org/climate-report-trump/

It’s not the economy, stupid. Here’s why focusing on money misses the big climate picture.
This process is already in motion. Those of us who talk about climate change for a living should be focusing our dialogue on the immediate danger of climate change in human terms, not making it even more abstract and distant than it already seemingly is.

If an asteroid was going to hit the Earth in 2030, we wouldn’t be justifying the cost of the space mission to blast it out of the sky. We’d be repurposing factories, inventing entire new industries, and steering the global economy toward solving the problem as quickly and as effectively as we can — no matter the cost. Climate change is that looming asteroid, except what we’re doing right now is basically ignoring it, and in the process actually making the problem much, much worse and much harder to solve. ...
https://grist.org/article/its-not-the-economy-stupid-heres-why-focusing-on-money-misses-the-big-climate-picture/

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3584
  • Likes Given: 3922
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2018, 01:56:25 PM »
Well written (as usual for E. Holthaus).

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2018, 08:12:26 PM »
John Cook: "Ouch, scathing sarcasm from @nytimes on the terrible job of news networks in how they covered the National Climate Assessment report by giving voice to climate deniers rather than scientific experts”
https://twitter.com/johnfocook/status/1069685904128790528

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2018, 10:02:43 PM »
John Cook: "Ouch, scathing sarcasm from @nytimes on the terrible job of news networks in how they covered the National Climate Assessment report by giving voice to climate deniers rather than scientific experts”
https://twitter.com/johnfocook/status/1069685904128790528

Even a broken watch, etc
Terry