Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: WHY THE CRAZY QUESTIONS TO POST AND ENTER SITE  (Read 4170 times)

Siberian Methane Monster

• NewMembers
  • New ice
    • View Profile
    • ONE LOVE GODS LOVE: THANK GOD! It Is THE END!
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
WHY THE CRAZY QUESTIONS TO POST AND ENTER SITE
« on: August 08, 2019, 05:31:06 PM »
I was really looking forward to this forum, until I realized that they have an ongoing stream of questions to post and enter, that are simply off the charts frustrating. What is causing the Arctic Ice to Melt, 3 letters. And many similar questions without any, or with many answers. Posting and using this forum is made so difficult, that it certainly has made me not want to post. Similar problem with reading the verification letters, but not as ridiculous. Is this the objective? What's up?

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1336
  • Likes Given: 618
Re: WHY THE CRAZY QUESTIONS TO POST AND ENTER SITE
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2019, 11:04:22 PM »
I've explained in the Stupid Questions thread. Once you're in and I have released your profile, you're good to go. This can take a while. I usually keep right-wingers/skeptics and alarmists on moderation for a while until I'm sure they won't cause too much of a ruckus.
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

philopek

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2019, 11:12:24 PM »
I was really looking forward to this forum, until I realized that they have an ongoing stream of questions to post and enter, that are simply off the charts frustrating. What is causing the Arctic Ice to Melt, 3 letters. And many similar questions without any, or with many answers. Posting and using this forum is made so difficult, that it certainly has made me not want to post. Similar problem with reading the verification letters, but not as ridiculous. Is this the objective? What's up?

So you have issues with the security questions ?

Interestingly there a many new users including myself who did neither have such issues nor share your opinion and complain.

Now what remains is the questions what that means.

To me it means that if someone does not know the answer he blames the questions and that keeps that very same person from learning and that will end in a devils circle and lead nowhere.

Further to come into a place as a noob and demand changes of a working setup alone sheds a certain light on that person.

I usually tend to say: One less of those to deal with, there are plenty of similar people who unfortunately easily answer those simple questions and then start to suck our energy on a daily basis.

I wrote this after stumbling over two similar posts and until now the first impression rarely has proven to be wrong ;)

How comes that your local time is the same like mine ? I'm about several thousand miles east of Lake Tahoe ?

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3588
  • Likes Given: 3940
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2019, 07:32:53 PM »
In all fairness, some of these questions are quite difficult to answer unless you have been lurking and reading the forum for a long while. I think they are filtering good potential users that have been sent off at the gate.
I think a fair solution would be to add a hint in the question, that a spambot will not be able to use.
What causes the ice to melt, 3 letters? (Hint: starts with Anthropogenic)
What was the name of the 2012 Arctic storm, 3 letters? (Hint: read the Arctic Sea Ice Blog post of date X 2012)
And so on.

grixm

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 374
  • Likes Given: 131
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2019, 10:06:50 PM »
In all fairness, some of these questions are quite difficult to answer unless you have been lurking and reading the forum for a long while. I think they are filtering good potential users that have been sent off at the gate.
I think a fair solution would be to add a hint in the question, that a spambot will not be able to use.
What causes the ice to melt, 3 letters? (Hint: starts with Anthropogenic)
What was the name of the 2012 Arctic storm, 3 letters? (Hint: read the Arctic Sea Ice Blog post of date X 2012)
And so on.

Indeed. I never figured out that first one, I had never heard that acronym before I joined here. Had to refresh the page until I got a different question. The only fitting acronym I could think of was GHG (Greenhouse gases).

Another difficult one is "Which river flows into the Laptev Sea (4 letters)"? I'm guessing Lena is the actual answer, but Yana would in fact also be correct, in fact that's what shows up when I try to google "laptev sea river", like many would do when faced with this question: https://i.imgur.com/nICeGUX.png

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5304
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2019, 10:14:24 PM »
I can't remember such a lot of questions when  joined.

I don't know but my guess is that as the forum becomes more well known, it becomes of more interest to those who wish all sites that accept AGW harm. Perhaps Neven has had to increase the forum's defences.

ps: I would have failed the Lena river question until about a year ago.
pps: Does Neven allow one or two failures before giving an "F" ?
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2019, 10:18:10 PM »
Neven - if you're open to the suggestion of adding hints to make the questions more user-friendly, and as I know you are pressed for time - if you would like you can PM me or email me the current list of questions, and I'll edit those that seem too difficult for non-readers, adding some hints, which you can then review.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 11:26:58 PM by oren »

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1336
  • Likes Given: 618
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2019, 11:23:07 PM »
Neven - if you're open to the suggestion of adding hints to make the questions more user-friendly, and as I know you are pressed for time - if you would like you can PM me or email me the current list of questions, and I'll edit those that seem to difficult for non-readers, adding some hints, which you can then review.

That sounds like a good idea, oren. I have some more time in coming days and will send you the list.
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

GoodeWeather

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 26
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2019, 12:12:42 AM »
I can't remember such a lot of questions when  joined.

I don't know but my guess is that as the forum becomes more well known, it becomes of more interest to those who wish all sites that accept AGW harm. Perhaps Neven has had to increase the forum's defences.

ps: I would have failed the Lena river question until about a year ago.
pps: Does Neven allow one or two failures before giving an "F" ?

I was just thinking about this earlier.  I definitely would have failed that before this year.  Been lurking in the shadows for many many years.  There is an incredible wealth of knowledge on this forum and I have learned so much over the years thanks to everyone that posts here.

ps.  that question came up for this post lol.

DungeonMaster

• Administrator
  • Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2019, 03:46:52 AM »
Sorry to bother new users with these questions - we have to renew and harden them when the bots find a way in - there can be more than 50 bots finding their way per day when the questions are too simple / too old... And by now the easy questions we could ask some years ago don't stop these damn bots anymore!
This forum helps me to feel less uncomfortable about "doing something" about the melting Arctic and the warming world.

DungeonMaster

• Administrator
  • Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2019, 03:48:51 AM »
And, PLEASE DON'T SHOUT!
This forum helps me to feel less uncomfortable about "doing something" about the melting Arctic and the warming world.

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2019, 03:30:14 AM »
Did Neven implement the changes I suggested to the questions?

Rod

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2019, 03:34:40 AM »
Maybe there should be a quiz before you can post to rule out stupid comments???   It might shut me up sometimes 😝

PS. I hope this does not turn out to be my most liked comment. 🤔
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 03:44:50 AM by Rod »