Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Weird Weather and anecdotal stories about climate change  (Read 1198335 times)

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1153
  • Likes Given: 430
Re: Weird Weather and anecdotal stories about climate change
« Reply #100 on: July 27, 2013, 06:48:17 PM »
Now that cooler temps have finally arrived, we’re reviewing the mid-July heat wave that hit the US.  A high pressure dome of hot air sat over the eastern part of the country for over a week -- much like what happened in the UK recently. 

As expected with global warming, more records were set with “highest lows” than with “highest highs.”  While 134 record-high temperatures were recorded, 716 records for highest overnight minimum temperatures were also felled or tied. 

A record stretch of 30 days with lows in the 70s (21°C) or higher ended July 25 in Philadelphia.

http://www.climatecentral.org/blogs/mid-july-heat-wave-bakes-the-us-from-coast-to-coast-16276
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 27, 2013, 07:41:49 PM »
And while Siberia is baking, South America has record cold outbreak that reached almost to the equator in the Amazon basin.

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/weatherhistorian/comment.html?entrynum=178

John Batteen

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 60
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #102 on: July 27, 2013, 11:05:35 PM »
We're flirting with record overnight lows here in Minnesota and Wisconsin today and tomorrow.  High temps in the 60s, overcast and blustery.  If I didn't know better I'd say it was late September.

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 602
  • Likes Given: 409
« Reply #103 on: July 28, 2013, 03:22:24 AM »
Yep, it's supposed to get down to 45F here in Minneapolis tonight. More jet stream oddities?
"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 28, 2013, 04:20:25 PM »
Also this "drunken weather pattern":  weather systems moved in reverse -- east to west -- across the southern US during the recent heat wave.

While heat waves during July are nothing new, the weather pattern that is creating this one is rare enough for meteorologists to take note. In addition to the Bermuda leaving its more tropical locale and camping out in Michigan, an area of low pressure at the upper levels of the atmosphere has also been roaming the U.S. since July 11, drifting from east to west, traveling from the Mid-Atlantic states to Texas, where it brought some welcome rainfall.

http://www.climatecentral.org/news/drunken-weather-pattern-leads-to-deadly-heat-16260

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 29, 2013, 07:43:01 PM »
Yesterday, a relatively mild cold front with some training rain storms brought the most rain ever in a single day to Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, USA).  Goes to show that it no longer requires a hurricane to dump unbelievable amounts of rain, in a very short time.

Dr. Jeff Masters of Weather Underground writes:

Philadelphia sets its all-time single day rainfall record
An incredible deluge of 8.02" of rain hit Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on Sunday, breaking the all-time one-day rainfall record for the city. The previous record of 6.63" was set on September 16, 1999 during Tropical Storm Floyd. With a further round of rain after midnight in Philadelphia (bringing the 24-hour record storm total to 8.27”), July has brought 13.25” of precipitation to the City of Brotherly Love. This surpasses the previous July monthly record (since 1872) of 10.42” set in 1994. The wettest month on record for Philadelphia remains 19.31” in August 2011. Yesterday's deluge is an astonishing rainfall total for a location with such a long period of record, considering that it occurred without the benefit of a tropical storm being present. Remarkably, 6.46" of the rain fell in just 3 1/2 hours.

ICYMI, here’s a video from a reporter in his car caught by a mud slide in Colorado Springs.  The area is suffering from repeated flooding and mudslides, being located at the base of the canyon which had a devastating wildfire last year. (Note: expletives not deleted.)  Teachable moment: when he admits there were cars stopped on the highway in front of him....

http://gazette.com/multimedia/video/2538781681001

Colorado Springs Office of Emergency Management put together some tips on how to prepare, ahead of time, for sudden flooding, likely to become a model for others:

http://m.gazette.com/side-streets-dont-become-a-colorado-springs-flood-victim-heed-these-tips/article/1504027

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 99
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #106 on: July 29, 2013, 08:22:58 PM »
Now, now ... :o

Level 3 is maximal level, read more at European Storm Forecast Experiment.
Take care

prokaryotes

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
    • Climate State
  • Liked: 47
  • Likes Given: 37
« Reply #107 on: July 29, 2013, 08:28:41 PM »
I guess this belongs here..

Dramatic Global Flash Flooding, Hurricane Force Gusts in Mexico - July 27/28 2013 

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 31, 2013, 05:15:52 PM »
More on the Philadelphia rain event, from a tweet from Philly meterologist Glenn Schwartz:  “Amazing 7.35" in 4 hours between 3 & 7pm. Calculated at more than a 1 in 1000 year event, according to NWS. And not even a tropical system!”

(With global warming, that means another episode in, what, 5 to 10 years?   ;)  )

Weather Underground makes the point that the heavy rain was highly localized at the PHL airport.  The blog also discusses the current heat waves in China and Europe.
http://www.wunderground.com/blog/weatherhistorian/comment.html?entrynum=179

Heat up to 41°C (106°F) in multiple provinces in China caused the China Meteorological Administration to issue a level two emergency response for the first time.
“Several provinces are suffering through a drought as the heat wave continues to scorch a wide swathe of land where flooding is usually the problem during the rainy season.”
http://www.globaltimes.cn/content/800330.shtml#.Ufj2AFK9Kc2

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 602
  • Likes Given: 409
« Reply #109 on: August 02, 2013, 05:50:49 AM »
http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2013/08/01/2388931/record-start-to-extreme-weather/

Halfway Through 2013, The 5 Worst Extreme Weather Events Show The Damage Is As Bad As Ever

In the past two years, the U.S. has suffered an onslaught of extreme weather, including storms, floods, drought, heat, and fires. The 25 most damaging events took a combined 1,100 lives and caused $188 billion in damages. Seven months into 2013, this year doesn’t look to be much better.

Climate-fueled extreme weather continues to warrant evacuations, burn homes to the ground, and turn towns into pools of debris across the United States. As of July 30, there were 37 presidential disaster declarations, excluding fire management assistance and drought, in 2013.

AON Benfield – a world reinsurance broker that reports on the most damaging extreme weather events every month – estimates that extreme weather, like snow storms, flooding, hurricanes, tornadoes, and thunderstorms, caused at least $32 billion in economic damages in the U.S. so far in 2013, which doesn’t take into account continuing drought that caused an estimated $30 billion in damages last year.

These storms ravaged the country, taking lives, destroying homes and businesses, and reshaping landscapes. With another five months left, here are the worst weather events so far in 2013:

1. Heavy snowstorms follow sporadic winter weather Winter Storm Nemo and other blizzards...

2. Historically large tornadoes slam the Midwest The first severe twisters came unseasonably early in January 2013, pounding the Mississippi Valley and parts of the Midwest with $350 million in damages. On May 20th Moore, Oklahoma, was flattened by a killer tornado, causing 24 fatalities – including 9 children. The tornado also caused $2.5 billion in damages. A week later a violent $2 billion tornado outbreak swept through Arkansas, Illinois, Kansas, Missouri, and Oklahoma with more than 80 tornadoes. This system included yet another historically rare EF-5 tornado that passed through El Reno, Oklahoma. It may have been the widest tornado ever recorded, and was responsible for 27 deaths...

3. Heavy rains and flooding inundate farms, cities, and roadways In April

4. Severe drought and heat waves continue through the South and Southwestern U.S. Increasingly dry southwestern states continue to battle conditions that remain from the Great Drought of 2012. In Texas, a state that suffered $11.9 billion in drought-related losses since 2011, Texas Governor Rick Perry extended his 2011 declared drought emergency this June, citing a “historic” and “imminent threat to public health, property, and the economy.” It is expected to continue through 2013.

5. Wildfires scorch homes and take lives As of July 30, over 2 million acres have burned in 2013 as a result of over 27,000 U.S. wildfires. In fact, every state except Hawaii has had three or more wildfires this year..
"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 02, 2013, 04:09:50 PM »
To quote @TheTweetOfGod:
“The bad weather will continue until the climate improves.”

JimD

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #111 on: August 02, 2013, 06:55:42 PM »
Arsenic dust!

Here is a weird effect that I had never heard of until I read this article.  Of great interest to me since I live about 15 miles from Dewey.  Here in Prescott we have perfect water except for the need to filter it for natural arsenic levels to get the down to healthy limits (I hope they have the numbers right).

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=how-global-warming-is-spreading-toxic-dust
We do not err because truth is difficult to see. It is visible at a glance. We err because this is more comfortable. Alexander Solzhenitsyn

How is it conceivable that all our technological progress - our very civilization - is like the axe in the hand of the pathological criminal? Albert Einstein

JimD

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
We do not err because truth is difficult to see. It is visible at a glance. We err because this is more comfortable. Alexander Solzhenitsyn

How is it conceivable that all our technological progress - our very civilization - is like the axe in the hand of the pathological criminal? Albert Einstein

Laurent

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 50
« Reply #113 on: August 05, 2013, 05:15:21 PM »

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
« Reply #114 on: August 05, 2013, 07:40:42 PM »
Austria recorded it's hottest day on record two days ago: 39,8° C (old record was 39.7° C, July 1983). The part where I'm living has had 5 weeks of temps around 30° C, with swings to 37-38° C, and hardly any rain. Farmers are unhappy.
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

pikaia

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 121
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #115 on: August 05, 2013, 08:06:14 PM »
Greenland had its highest recorded temperature of 25.9C at Maniitsoq on July 30.

Laurent

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 06, 2013, 08:02:38 PM »
A second hail storm has cut a swath through Bordeaux, destroying virtually the entire crop of around 100 producers.
http://www.thedrinksbusiness.com/2013/08/second-hail-storm-ravages-bordeaux/

Around 4000 to 5000 hectares have been wrecked !

Laurent

• Young ice
    • View Profile

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #118 on: August 08, 2013, 09:28:49 PM »
Austria recorded it's hottest day on record two days ago: 39,8° C (old record was 39.7° C, July 1983). The part where I'm living has had 5 weeks of temps around 30° C, with swings to 37-38° C, and hardly any rain. Farmers are unhappy.

Incredible, the record was broken again today and went from 39.9° C to 40.5°C (one place even recorded 40.6° C, but not confirmed yet)! We started building our house today in 39.6° C. My wife is doubting whether we picked the right place. I said to her: where would you like to go? This is happening everywhere. 20-30 years from now this is an average summer. We have to get prepared.
The enemy is within

E. Smith

Vergent

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #119 on: August 08, 2013, 09:52:02 PM »

Incredible, the record was broken again today and went from 39.9° C to 40.5°C (one place even recorded 40.6° C, but not confirmed yet)! We started building our house today in 39.6° C. My wife is doubting whether we picked the right place. I said to her: where would you like to go? This is happening everywhere. 20-30 years from now this is an average summer. We have to get prepared.

I suggest putting in a crop of Agave.

V

OldLeatherneck

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: August 08, 2013, 09:56:59 PM »

I suggest putting in a crop of Agave.

V

With a good crop of Agave, Neven could start distilling and distributing "Austrian Tequila."  Who said that economic growth was impossible??
"Share Your Knowledge.  It's a Way to Achieve Immortality."  ......the Dalai Lama

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #121 on: August 08, 2013, 10:02:59 PM »
With a good crop of Agave, Neven could start distilling and distributing "Austrian Tequila."  Who said that economic growth was impossible??

It is indeed true that a large part of economic growth is making people addicted to all kinds of stuff, like sugar, white flour, coffee, alcohol, drugs, medication, entertainment, TV, gadgets. This results in a sick society, in my view the biggest impediment to solutions.

A sick mind, in a sick body, in a sick society.

Sorry for the off-topic. We've just started building our eco-passive-blahblah-house today, and I'm already depressed by the uselessness of it all.  :'(
The enemy is within

E. Smith

ritter

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 24
« Reply #122 on: August 08, 2013, 10:59:40 PM »
Sorry for the off-topic. We've just started building our eco-passive-blahblah-house today, and I'm already depressed by the uselessness of it all.  :'(

If it gets you through the bottleneck, who's to say it's useless? Some of us may survive for a while. Might as well be comfortable!

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #123 on: August 10, 2013, 09:27:00 PM »
Neven
Sorry for the off-topic. We've just started building our eco-passive-blahblah-house today, and I'm already depressed by the uselessness of it all. 

I know of no one who has done more to enlighten the masses about the dangers we face in the near future. The fact that governments by and large are not acting in a reasonable manner isn't something you of I have much control over.
Until I found your blog I had no idea what was causing the weather I was experiencing. I googled through every denier site on the internet trying to find something that made sense and whose arguments were coherent. Since then, thanks to you, I've educated myself & the product of that education is not comforting, but I much prefer having a somewhat gloomy realistic view of the future to wearing blinders as we approach the cliff.
Your eco-friendly home may not make much of a difference in the larger scheme of things, but you can sleep knowing that you tried & that your blog and forum have influenced huge numbers of people around the globe.
If anyone is around in a hundred years to keep track of those who made a difference your name will be remembered and revered. Not a terrible legacy IMHO.
Terry

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #124 on: August 10, 2013, 11:27:42 PM »
Thanks, Terry, that's nice of you to say.

For the time being I'm happy that the heat wave in Austria is over.
The enemy is within

E. Smith

Phil

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #125 on: August 10, 2013, 11:33:38 PM »
just one thought, Neven. Eco friendly houses use sometimes more light materials than classic ones. Unfortunately, extreme weather seems to require more hardened buildings. so, wood/straw/"pisé" often choosed for their thermic properties could be at risk. But i guess a smart guy like you has already pondered this question. 

Anyway. Hundred reasons for thinking that the game is quasi over, but we have nothing else to do than stay on the fence. Any little improvment that we could initiate, momentum we could impulse, enlightment we could offer, are of extraordinary importance.

All the best for you and yours projects, Neven.

(sorry for my broken french-english... :) )

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #126 on: August 10, 2013, 11:42:14 PM »
A big concrete bunker would definitely be better, but it takes a lot more energy to build (forgot the exact number, but it was 10 times or more), and I just couldn't bring myself to do that. We originally wanted to buy an old place and renovate it, but just couldn't find the right spot after 3-4 years of looking, and so we opted for the eco-passive-blahblah-house (with a lot of DIY).

BTW, if all goes well, I will probably start a second blog to describe what we've done. There's some funny/interesting stuff there, but we have to wait and see how things work out.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 11:52:33 PM by Neven »
The enemy is within

E. Smith

JimD

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 11, 2013, 04:11:23 PM »
Neven

.....Sorry for the off-topic. We've just started building our eco-passive-blahblah-house today, and I'm already depressed by the uselessness of it all.  :'(

Hey!  Leave that stuff to us old guys.  That's our turf!  We depend on you young guys to keep the enthusiasm levels up.  Just keep charging on.

BTW  what do the neighbors think of your undertakings?

Shared Humanity

« Reply #128 on: August 11, 2013, 04:56:50 PM »
I think the long term trend for human habitation will be to go underground where temperatures move towards the seasonal and/or yearly averages, depending on depth. In Tucson, Arizona, swamp coolers (stored water underground with air circulated over this cool water through the house) are the preferred method of cooling your home so long as you've built the typical southwest home.

Back on Topic: Chicago is completing its 2nd straight week where temperatures have been consistently in the high 70's. (Sorry for Fahrenheit but I am a stubborn American.) The long range forecast is for this weather to continue through the end of August. This fixed manner of weather is becoming increasingly common and high 70's in August are amazingly cool.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 11, 2013, 06:07:10 PM »
SH
Swamp coolers & similar systems are amazingly efficient wherever the climate is dry. As humidity increases they become less and less useful.
Wonderful in Tucson, useless in Toledo.
Terry

Shared Humanity

« Reply #130 on: August 12, 2013, 03:09:59 AM »
SH
Swamp coolers & similar systems are amazingly efficient wherever the climate is dry. As humidity increases they become less and less useful.
Wonderful in Tucson, useless in Toledo.
Terry

Terry...yes, I realize this. I brought up the issue of swamp coolers to demonstrate the advantage of burrowing underground for human habitation as our climate warms.

ccgwebmaster

• Nilas ice
  • Civilisation collapse - what are you doing?
    • View Profile
    • CCG Website
« Reply #131 on: August 12, 2013, 04:48:12 AM »
Terry...yes, I realize this. I brought up the issue of swamp coolers to demonstrate the advantage of burrowing underground for human habitation as our climate warms.

Good luck burrowing underground to practice agriculture though...

Shared Humanity

« Reply #132 on: August 12, 2013, 05:56:56 PM »

Maybe we can genetically engineer mushrooms so they are a source of vitamins and minerals.

Vergent

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 12, 2013, 06:14:23 PM »

Maybe we can genetically engineer mushrooms so they are a source of vitamins and minerals.

That will also help solve the solid waste problem.

V

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 12, 2013, 06:23:36 PM »
I've been in a (reconstructed) Basketmaker tradition subterranean abode when outside temperatures were >50C. It was cool, dry and comfortable even though the floor was less than 2 meters below ground level.
The Iroquois used a similar technique in the north to escape the winter cold.
In most regions I'd think that moisture could prove a problem. Groundwater is difficult to keep out & condensation has to be dealt with.
If I was faced with long term survival in the desert I'd be inclined to give it a try, but other regions probably need other solutions. There must be a reason that the concept hasn't been used very often in very many areas.
Terry

ccgwebmaster

• Nilas ice
  • Civilisation collapse - what are you doing?
    • View Profile
    • CCG Website
« Reply #135 on: August 12, 2013, 06:44:44 PM »
There must be a reason that the concept hasn't been used very often in very many areas.

Cost? Of excavation and structurally working with the surroundings. Plus only suitable in some locations for any number of possible reasons, which you touch on.

Personally I think having at least a portion of a building underground to benefit from the relative thermal stability of the ground is a good idea in principle - just not a long term answer to escaping conditions that have become intolerable or empirically non viable for human survival, for the primary reason identified - too much other stuff has to continue on the surface.

If one is being cynical - we've done it before to good effect - we just called our dwellings "caves".

pikaia

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 121
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #136 on: August 13, 2013, 06:48:33 PM »
The extreme heat affecting China has moved into Japan, which has broken its temperature record with 41.0C.

Laurent

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 14, 2013, 02:11:05 PM »
May be the opening of a sinkhole is part of the climate change !?
http://www.wftv.com/news/news/local/summer-bay-resort-guests-recount-escaping-sinkhole/nZMQW/
If I understand the baseground of florida is made with lime, that can be washed away by underground water...especially if the sea level rise !?

BornFromTheVoid

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 679
  • Likes Given: 299
« Reply #138 on: August 14, 2013, 02:19:15 PM »
Record heat wave bakes Canada's North
Temperatures 10 degrees above normal across Yukon, Nunavut and Northwest Territories

Historically high heat over the past week has led to broken temperature records in all three northern territories but residents aren’t complaining.

Temperatures across Canada’s three territories have been about ten degrees above normal this week.

In some communities, like Kugluktuk, Nunavut, it’s been even more remarkable: yesterday, it set temperature records for the sixth consecutive day on Tuesday, hitting 29 degrees Celsius.

More here http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/story/2013/08/13/north-weather-heat.html
I recently joined the twitter thing, where I post more analysis, pics and animations: @Icy_Samuel

Laurent

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 14, 2013, 02:34:52 PM »
Typhoon Utor lashes Hong Kong (and Philipines again)
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/asia-pacific/2013/08/201381413915928828.html

JimD

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 14, 2013, 05:28:31 PM »
May be the opening of a sinkhole is part of the climate change !?
http://www.wftv.com/news/news/local/summer-bay-resort-guests-recount-escaping-sinkhole/nZMQW/
If I understand the baseground of florida is made with lime, that can be washed away by underground water...especially if the sea level rise !?

It is my understanding that the geologic process that forms those sink holes is, in general, very slow in human terms.  Some take thousands of years to form.  Experts have indicated that the rate that sinkholes are forming in Florida has not changed significantly over the time humans have been living there.  They are formed primarily by surface water percolating down through the limestone bedrock and dissolving it.  This forms a cavern which eventually collapses. Pumping ground water can speed the process as well as very heavy rainfall.  Sea level rise is not likely to effect this as the area where the sinkholes are most common is far from the ocean and among the highest ground in Florida.

Shared Humanity

« Reply #141 on: August 14, 2013, 09:38:38 PM »
Record heat wave bakes Canada's North
Temperatures 10 degrees above normal across Yukon, Nunavut and Northwest Territories

Historically high heat over the past week has led to broken temperature records in all three northern territories but residents aren’t complaining.

Temperatures across Canada’s three territories have been about ten degrees above normal this week.

In some communities, like Kugluktuk, Nunavut, it’s been even more remarkable: yesterday, it set temperature records for the sixth consecutive day on Tuesday, hitting 29 degrees Celsius.

More here http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/story/2013/08/13/north-weather-heat.html

Meanwhile, in Chicago we are completing our third straight week of unseasonably cool weather. It got down to 57F last night in the middle of August! Forecasts expect this weather to persist through the remainder of August.

Anne

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 15, 2013, 10:46:49 AM »

SteveMDFP

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 583
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #143 on: August 15, 2013, 05:48:42 PM »
This story about 1 million square kilometres of flooding in Yakutia is sobering.

More than sobering.  Somewhat terrifying.  I found the following passage worrisome:
In some of these wildfires, there are reports coming in that fires burn as far as 3 feet into the ground, taking out root systems and stumps along with the trees that burn above ground. Reports of burning ground have also been trickling in

When permafrost thaws in dry areas, overlying vegetation provides some insulation and probably reduces net carbon release to the atmosphere.  CO2 emissions, I believe, predominate.

Burn off that vegetation and insulation decreases, surface erosion increases, and permafrost melt surely accelerates.  Add water to saturate the thawing permafrost, and emissions shift to methane instead of CO2.

deep octopus

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #144 on: August 15, 2013, 07:17:15 PM »
Record daily low of 38 F this morning in the small town of Bradford, Pennsylvania. Much of the US is in the 60s right now, at mid-day. Very depressing for August! Lots of people are loving this "taste of autumn" weather though. My immune system and psyche beg to differ. Oh well, different strokes for different folks. And meanwhile, the taiga is on fire. Fairbanks, Alaska has had a warmer August (not anomaly, but actual temperature) than Los Angeles so far. Weird, weird year.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 07:23:56 PM by Deep Octopus »

Anonymouse

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #145 on: August 20, 2013, 11:15:00 PM »
Here is a link to weather underground, a very heartwarming piece about how the most recent long-term drought is affecting the availability of water in the Colorado River in the US southwest.  In the paragraph titled "Causes," loss of Arctic sea ice is explicitly referenced.

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=2495

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 22, 2013, 12:55:02 AM »
Aerosol cooling in the US:
The "Warming Hole" (a cool spot surrounded by much higher temps) over the southeast US may be due to sulphates pollution from coal power plants.  But the cooling effect is diminishing as pollution has declined significantly in the last few decades due to the Clean Air Act.
earthobservatory.nasa.gov/IOTD/view.php?id=77966

NASA’s SEAC4RS airborne mission is probing this puzzle.
http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/seac4rs_2013.html

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 23, 2013, 12:19:45 AM »
Simply amazing :o

"Shiman Dam in Northern Taiwan releases gargantuan fountains of flood waters on August 22, 2013, after Typhoon Trami dumped over 300 mm (11.81") of rain in 24 hours."
Source: Dr. Jeff Masters' WunderBlog:     
Chinese Floods Kill 250 During Past Week: Earth's 4th Deadliest Disaster of 2013

AndrewP

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #148 on: August 25, 2013, 08:06:05 PM »
I am wondering if everyone would like to have a thread that discusses the new(ish) and emerging weather weirdness.  A place to put ideas about things that might just be weird variations up to things that might be somewhat cause for concern.  If Neven is agreeable, things from sea ice to unusual clouds or animal movements would be welcome.  For example, it has been very windy in the last week where I live, and that is unusual for this time of year, at least the constant wind.  I worry that it will augment the drought we are in.
In short, what are you seeing in your own life that is starting to freak you out (if it hasn't already)?
What would be useful (or at least nice) is if some context was available - that puts the weather in the context of historic data, previous records, or statistical probability.

I feel somewhat cynical when people start to associate every weather event with climate change - it's too tempting and easy to fall into that track and somewhat like worshipping some arbitrary nature spirit. For example, I didn't think anything much about tornadoes in the US until I watched this:

The quoted probabilities (1 in 62,000 year and 1 in 3,000 year) made me sit up and take notice, as well as illustrating a hint of a climate change link.

I think it would also be educational to understand what the consequences of incidences of extreme weather are, especially in terms of:
- damage to infrastructure
- adverse agricultural aspect

With so much happening now, the media isn't especially informing (were they ever?). Seems to me there is the chance to crowd source interesting and useful information?

There is no long-term trend in tornado frequencies in the U.S. In addition, a number of papers suggest that U.S. tornado frequency is likely to decrease with climate change, not increase. So the rare event you are referring to may have occurred in spite of, not because of, climate change.

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 25, 2013, 08:28:55 PM »
I'm not able to find mention of this article on ASIF, so:
"Tornadoes, Extreme Weather And Climate Change, Revisited" by Joe Romm on May 21, 2013.

So it may simply be that the data is simply is too confused by the reporting practices for analysis to draw any strong conclusions. That doesn’t mean the question shouldn’t be asked or that scientists shouldn’t give their best answer.

In general I do think it’s best to avoid statements like “global warming is to blame for” or “global warming caused” or “this is evidence of global warming,” especially in regards tornadoes.
In short, we ain’t seen nothing yet. Or, as one commenter put it:

“Mother nature is only warming up.”
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 08:41:56 PM by ivica »