Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Weird Weather and anecdotal stories about climate change  (Read 1198247 times)

Daniel B.

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 29
Re: Weird Weather and anecdotal stories about climate change
« Reply #1650 on: December 22, 2017, 08:40:58 PM »
“A shorter snow season increases the amount of sunlight absorbed by the Earth’s surface and can further warm the planet.”
GIF at this Twitter link: https://twitter.com/wxshift/status/943861210369462273

Article and interactive graph:  http://wxshift.com/climate-change/climate-indicators/snow-cover

As does clearing of the fallen snow.  Black roads, parking lots, rooftops, etc. absorb sunlight that would have normally been reflected.

Sigmetnow posts a chart that shows that summer snow cover in the northern hemisphere has dropped by 50% or 4 million square miles in the last 40 years which is dramatically increasing the amount of sunlight absorbed and you decide to talk about plowing snow having the same effect??

Now I know why I set you on ignore and how it is a mistake to click to see what you say.

They probably do not have the same effect.  Exposing asphalt streets and parking lots is likely to influence the surface albedo much more than fields and forests.  There is a reason that the bulk of the warming over the past century has occurred during the winter months, while summer has been relatively stable.

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3584
  • Likes Given: 3922
« Reply #1651 on: December 22, 2017, 09:40:33 PM »
?
There is a reason that the bulk of the warming over the past century has occurred during the winter months, while summer has been relatively stable.
Winter warming is an easy one, though BTW I highly doubt that "summer has been relatively stable". GHGs act like a blanket that prevents heat from escaping, same as cloudy winter days are warmer than clear ones. Most certainly clearing snow from black asphalt in winter is several orders of magnitude less in its effect compared to CO2, methane and the rest of the bunch. Did you really mean to claim otherwise? If so, I suggest to substantiate such claims with some quantitative analysis.

Daniel B.

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1652 on: December 22, 2017, 11:19:01 PM »
?
There is a reason that the bulk of the warming over the past century has occurred during the winter months, while summer has been relatively stable.
Winter warming is an easy one, though BTW I highly doubt that "summer has been relatively stable". GHGs act like a blanket that prevents heat from escaping, same as cloudy winter days are warmer than clear ones. Most certainly clearing snow from black asphalt in winter is several orders of magnitude less in its effect compared to CO2, methane and the rest of the bunch. Did you really mean to claim otherwise? If so, I suggest to substantiate such claims with some quantitative analysis.

Here is one analysis:

http://mb-soft.com/public3/asphalt.html

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1653 on: December 22, 2017, 11:56:22 PM »
Here is one analysis:

Which says that if we were to change ALL asphalt surfaces in the US (roads, parking lots, roofs) from an albedo of 5 to 85, it would change global equilibrium temperature by only 0.05F. Consider that only a very small percentage of the total area is plowed, and only in winter when insolation is low, and you get a tiny effect indeed. So thanks for supporting my gut feeling, but why make a preposterous claim to begin with?

ghoti

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 12
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #1654 on: December 23, 2017, 01:20:23 AM »
So thanks for supporting my gut feeling, but why make a preposterous claim to begin with?
Agree!

The Arctic is warming faster than anywhere else in the world and in winter. There is essentially zero asphalt in the Arctic. Roads have nothing to do with the additional warming.

Daniel B.

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1655 on: December 23, 2017, 04:15:41 AM »
Here is one analysis:

Which says that if we were to change ALL asphalt surfaces in the US (roads, parking lots, roofs) from an albedo of 5 to 85, it would change global equilibrium temperature by only 0.05F. Consider that only a very small percentage of the total area is plowed, and only in winter when insolation is low, and you get a tiny effect indeed. So thanks for supporting my gut feeling, but why make a preposterous claim to begin with?

Can you present any support for your claim that decreased snowfall has a greater influence on temperature?

Daniel B.

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1656 on: December 23, 2017, 02:40:46 PM »
Here is one analysis:

Can you present any support for your claim that decreased snowfall has a greater influence on temperature?
Also, these numbers were for the U.S. alone.  Factor in the rest of the world, and that value rises.

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1657 on: December 23, 2017, 10:47:34 PM »
Here is one analysis:

Also, these numbers were for the U.S. alone.  Factor in the rest of the world, and that value rises.
I should point out I did not make any claim about decreased snowfall. You got this mixed up. But more importantly I want to ask:
Do you still stand by the claim that snow clearing (US or global) from roads and asphalt surfaces is the main reason for winter warming over the past century?

Daniel B.

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1658 on: December 24, 2017, 03:08:15 PM »
I should point out I did not make any claim about decreased snowfall. You got this mixed up. But more importantly I want to ask:
Do you still stand by the claim that snow clearing (US or global) from roads and asphalt surfaces is the main reason for winter warming over the past century?
[/quote]

I stand by my claim that snow clearing has had a greater influence over warming than the decreased snowfall.  I never said it was the main reason for winter warming.  Not sure how it got twisted into that.

Shared Humanity

« Reply #1659 on: December 25, 2017, 12:00:56 AM »
DNFTT

Hyperion

• Frazil ice
  • Admiral Franklin of the McGillicuddy Highland Navy
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 127
  • Likes Given: 64
« Reply #1660 on: December 25, 2017, 01:29:42 AM »
This super la nina hot pool we have covering the entire Tasman Sea between Australia/Tasmania and New Zealand appears to be wreaking a kind of Californication in our climate here in NZ. 
Its been apparent and growing for near two months. And there was a violent swing from persistent rainy conditions to unprecedented drought. Two months with no rain bar two afternoon brief thunderstorm events. This has grass dead everywhere and vegetable crops bolting to seed if watered or dead if not at the beginning of summer. About two months in advance of previous record drought years with desiccated soil moisture levels.
This seems to be the effect of the desert subtropical high belt extending south and bridging across from Australia.
The predictions are for death of coral reefs from Indonesia to Australia, and much of the south pacific Islands this summer. And of course the potential for devastating tropical cyclones around the south west Pacific will be very high.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 01:39:54 AM by Hyperion »
Policy: The diversion of NZ aluminum production to build giant space-mirrors to melt the icecaps and destroy the foolish greed-worshiping cities of man. Thereby returning man to the sea, which he should never have left in the first place.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McGillicuddy_Serious_Party

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1153
  • Likes Given: 430
« Reply #1661 on: December 25, 2017, 02:56:44 PM »
Brisbane, Ipswich, Gatton and Beaudesert reaching a top of 36 degrees Celsius. (97°F)

More than 12,000 homes across south-east Queensland have lost power on Christmas night as the region is hit by severe thunderstorms after a scorching Christmas Day.
Most of the outages started as the storms hit, affecting homes in the Scenic Rim first then moving up to Brisbane City.
All of the power outages were due to the Christmas night storms, the spokesperson said, with heavy winds damaging powerlines.

An 89-kilometre-per-hour wind gust was observed at Roma on Monday afternoon, and an 87kph gust was observed at Beaudesert at about 6.00pm.

High rainfall was recorded throughout the evening too. ...
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-12-25/severe-storm-warning-for-seq-after-a-scorching-christmas-day/9285248
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1662 on: December 25, 2017, 06:54:20 PM »
Merry Christmas Sleepy. Your image is not loading for me. And was your account reset or something?

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #1663 on: December 25, 2017, 11:10:30 PM »
Welcome back Sleepy, 'tis a beautiful grassy glade, if unseasonable.
Are you sure your neighbors haven't been plowing away surreptitiously during these long nights?

Your signature line was a wonderful find.
Terry

Pmt111500

« Reply #1664 on: December 26, 2017, 05:30:50 AM »
Hi Sleepy! The amount of people thinking and possibly also believing the world is only about humans is still pretty high thus political stuff here is not lesser than back when. Even I had to put some more people on ignore. Welcome back.

Daniel B.

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1665 on: December 26, 2017, 06:22:30 PM »
DNFTT

I disagree.  I think we should continue to question and challenge others.  It is called science.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1666 on: December 27, 2017, 08:13:06 PM »
Even for a place that gets a ton of snow, this was a record-breaking two days for Erie
There's White Christmas. And then there's Whiteout Christmas.

Erie, Pennsylvania, experienced the latter on Monday, when a total of 34 inches [863mm] of snow fell on Christmas Day, blanketing the city and shattering the city's previous records for snowfall in a single day.

The snowfall total was more than four times the city's previous all-time Christmas record of 8.1 inches [206 mm], and it also broke the record for most snowfall in one day in the city's history, which was 20 inches [508mm] on November 22, 1956.

The snow didn't stop overnight, either.

Erie picked up another 24.5 inches of snow on Tuesday, bringing the two-day tally to 58.5 inches [1486 mm]. That is the highest two-day snowfall total in the entire state of Pennsylvania, according to the National Weather Service.

However, the storm, which actually began on Sunday, has dropped a grand total of 62.9 inches [1598mm] of snow on Erie, according to National Weather Service Cleveland.

By Tuesday night, 21 Pennsylvania National Guard troops were put on State Active Duty in northwestern Pennsylvania.

The huge snowfall total is a consequence of lake-effect snow, a weather phenomenon in which cold air combines with lake water to create narrow bands of powerful snow. The lake effect snow is expected to continue through Wednesday afternoon, the National Weather Service said. ...
http://www.cnn.com/2017/12/26/us/erie-pennsylvania-snow-storm/index.html

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1047
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1667 on: December 28, 2017, 06:43:07 AM »
I have a friend in erie right now with wife (erie native), child and st. bernard. The last one is having a blast. They tell me that the lake don't freeze much anymore, so more snow.

sidd

Pmt111500

« Reply #1668 on: December 28, 2017, 08:40:45 AM »
Even for a place that gets a ton of snow, this was a record-breaking two days for Erie

http://www.cnn.com/2017/12/26/us/erie-pennsylvania-snow-storm/index.html
Here almost all snow has instead melted out as the air flows turned westerly bringing in the Atlantic lows.
I'll take this under 40F not yet freezing weather over that any day. Too bad that people commonly mistake snow for cold.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1669 on: December 28, 2017, 08:35:21 PM »
I have a friend in erie right now with wife (erie native), child and st. bernard. The last one is having a blast. They tell me that the lake don't freeze much anymore, so more snow.

sidd

Winter temperatures in the Great Lakes are some of the fastest-warming in the country.
More days [without] ice on the lakes = more opportunity for huge snowfalls, like this week’s incredible 60”+ in Erie, Pennsylvania.
https://twitter.com/EricHolthaus/status/946436584844529664
Image below.

“Since 1995, Great Lakes ice levels have been below normal 70 percent of the time.”
http://grist.org/briefly/the-great-lakes-are-having-great-snowstorms-partly-thanks-to-climate-change/

Pmt111500

« Reply #1670 on: December 29, 2017, 06:22:24 AM »
yes we get those snow squall lines either from Bay of Finland or from Ladoga, the eastern ones tend to stay in Savo and Karelia, though. 2010 was rather snowy later on also here (image of february) :
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 07:06:13 AM by Pmt111500 »

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5289
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #1671 on: December 29, 2017, 11:05:16 AM »
The image below shows typical UK late December weather, Atlantic low, continental high, drifting snow and night-time frost especially in Northern England and Scotland. Indeed the UK has had something like a proper winter December all moth.

The weird thing is that it is the normal from thirty years ago. In recent years our winter has been confined to a few days in January and maybe a late one day blast in March. These days the new normal is a December when we watch green stuff still growing when it shouldn't.
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

Alexander555

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 185
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #1672 on: December 29, 2017, 11:34:40 AM »
Maybe a combination of factors. What would have been the effects from these hurricanes and storms ? Do they maybe bring the temperature from the atlantic down a little ? One of them went all the way to the UK this season. But in general that surface water from the atlantic is gowing up. And that 's probably an importand factor for the UK and Europe.

N00bi-Wan

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 9
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #1673 on: December 30, 2017, 02:25:13 PM »
Due to the current extension of the polar vortex over North America, light pillars (light reflection by airborne ice crystals) occurred and were photographed over portions of Michigan, here in Charlotte. Source: Vincent Brady

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1674 on: December 31, 2017, 07:56:56 PM »
The polar vortex used to fence in cold Arctic air masses and keep them over the pole. Not any more.

Ice Loss and the Polar Vortex: How a Warming Arctic Fuels Cold Snaps
https://insideclimatenews.org/news/27092017/polar-vortex-cold-snap-arctic-ice-loss-global-warming-climate-change

prairiebotanist

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #1675 on: December 31, 2017, 08:24:30 PM »
Due to the current extension of the polar vortex over North America, light pillars (light reflection by airborne ice crystals) occurred and were photographed over portions of Michigan, here in Charlotte. Source: Vincent Brady
However, what is being observed in parts of eastern North America, at least for most areas, isn't any worse than what would be expected from the deepest cold snap in any given season. Most of the areas seeing temperatures near between -20 and -30C are areas where those temperatures are observed, on average, at least once every other year. Sure, there have been some daily/nightly record low temperatures, but cold snaps do that at some point almost every year. I have only experienced one winter in life in the Midwest (Wisconsin, Iowa, or northeast Kansas, USA) without the temperature falling below -10F (-23C) at least one time. Each of the last two winters -28C has been the coldest observed temperature on my home thermometer. So far the coldest from the "polar vortex" of the last week has been -24C, and -23C is forecast tonight before things begin to moderate. The warmth in the Arctic is what is truly exceptional.

Shared Humanity

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1678 on: January 01, 2018, 12:55:22 AM »
For the Twitter-less out there:

Jim Cantore:  Boy I'll tell you whatever is sitting off northeast coast Thursday is going to be one hell of a storm! May be known more for wind, waves than snow.  God help us if it shifts west.  ECMWF deepens it to 945mb off southern tip of Nova Scotia early Friday morning. 100mph gusts poss. https://twitter.com/jimcantore/status/947546375872483334

Michael E. Mann:  Wow--model developing this into one of the stronger Nor'easters I've ever seen.
Do we expect stronger Nor'easters [with global] warming? Some tentative evidence that we do via @AMetSoc #JournalOfClimate: https://t.co/C5fGKpz4GX

Guy Walton:  Quick look at Atlantic [Sea Surface Temperatures] show where the system can get its deepening energy from. Some of the warmest anomalies on the planet are off the Atlantic Seaboard.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1679 on: January 01, 2018, 01:58:56 AM »
It's so cold in the U.S. and Canada that windows are breaking, and there's no end in sight
The Arctic blast is so severe in Canada that only those above the age of 24 have ever experienced something of this magnitude during the period between Christmas and New Years. Air temperatures from Nunavut to Ontario have plunged well below zero Fahrenheit [-18°C], with wind chills colder than minus-40 degrees Fahrenheit [-40°C).
http://mashable.com/2017/12/28/arctic-blast-record-cold-us-canada-frigid-new-year/

ghoti

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1680 on: January 01, 2018, 02:22:00 AM »
Windows breaking from cold? I think not.

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2268
  • Likes Given: 286
« Reply #1681 on: January 01, 2018, 02:52:38 AM »
It's so cold in the U.S. and Canada that windows are breaking, and there's no end in sight
The Arctic blast is so severe in Canada that only those above the age of 24 have ever experienced something of this magnitude during the period between Christmas and New Years. Air temperatures from Nunavut to Ontario have plunged well below zero Fahrenheit [-18°C], with wind chills colder than minus-40 degrees Fahrenheit [-40°C).
http://mashable.com/2017/12/28/arctic-blast-record-cold-us-canada-frigid-new-year/

Sigmetnow,

I look forward to reading your next post 8)

Best,
ASLR
“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.”
― Leon C. Megginson

ghoti

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1682 on: January 01, 2018, 04:52:26 AM »

Sigmetnow,

I look forward to reading your next post 8)

Best,
ASLR
The weather is very cold but it isn't really something we don't experience every single winter in Canada's captial, Ottawa.

If you add enough modifiers you'll come up with a record. This cold, this week, this long etc. I'm attaching a chart of days with windchill below -30C in Ottawa. Looks like I can expect many more this year to maintain average.

chart from https://ottawa.weatherstats.ca/
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 04:58:21 AM by ghoti »

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
« Reply #1683 on: January 01, 2018, 05:21:58 AM »
I guess they don't make windows like they did back in 2014.  (looking at Ottawa cold days)  I mean, that's like ancient history, right?

2018 will be here in about 40 minutes.  Cool with some very light rain this evening.  Forecast is for mid 20s (F) for four nights (followed by one with 29) starting Tuesday morning here in Tallahassee, (north Florida).  This might be the longest string of such temperatures since I arrived 20 years ago.  I hope it kills off some of the invasive plants!
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

Red

« Reply #1684 on: January 01, 2018, 10:32:14 AM »
Very pretty shot however when I see pics like this and night shots of the planet from space all I really think is what a waste of energy. All that light lost to space has to be produced and is of no use to anyone. It is also disruptive to birds and insects that are programmed to use the stars for navigation. It is very disruptive to us amateur astronomers as well. On the coming Nor' easter I live in Nova Scotia not to far from Peggy's Cove. If it turns into a monster I'll give y'all a report from the ground. We had a good blow here on Christmas day. I spent several hours on Boxing day clearing trees from driveways. The power was off for two days for a lot of people, not me however, being off grid. I bounce my internet off my sisters place on the grid so when the power is down I'm depended on their generator.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1685 on: January 01, 2018, 05:27:26 PM »

Likely due to foundations and walls shifting from the earth freezing deeper than usual.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1686 on: January 01, 2018, 05:34:47 PM »

... Looks like I can expect many more this year to maintain average.

But perhaps the ‘average’ is changing....

Alexander555

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: January 01, 2018, 06:01:43 PM »

Likely due to foundations and walls shifting from the earth freezing deeper than usual.

It's not the same, but a little related. Here in Europe they made law for steelproduction. To reduce carbon emissions. The result is that the steel is not that strong anymore. A steel construction that was build to last 25 years, will now only last 15 years ( officially). I think it had something to do with how hot you make it, but i'm not sure of it.

Sleepy

• Nilas ice
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 120
« Reply #1688 on: January 01, 2018, 08:48:54 PM »
Nope, my house is well over a hundred years old. All the windows are still there as far as I can see, dispite at least -25°C. That was a while back though...
Omnia mirari, etiam tritissima.
-
Science is a jealous mistress and takes little account of a man's feelings.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5289
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #1689 on: January 01, 2018, 09:00:51 PM »
The main cause of erosion of many mountains is frost / melt / frost / melt. Water in cracks and crevices expands when frozen and can exert enormous pressure on the surrounding rocks. With the current and prolonged extreme freeze in parts of the USA not given to such events, if a structure is built on waterlogged ground damage is very possible, as the freezing cold penetrates deeper into the ground.

"That is my theory and it belongs to me".
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

Alexander555

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1690 on: January 01, 2018, 09:25:33 PM »
The main cause of erosion of many mountains is frost / melt / frost / melt. Water in cracks and crevices expands when frozen and can exert enormous pressure on the surrounding rocks. With the current and prolonged extreme freeze in parts of the USA not given to such events, if a structure is built on waterlogged ground damage is very possible, as the freezing cold penetrates deeper into the ground.

"That is my theory and it belongs to me".

We only have soft winters,maybe a couple days of temperatures below zero. And every year after the winters the roads are damaged. The highways, we have a couple big ports. Lots of heavy traffic. So it don't takes much to get some cracks. And after the winter it's a battlefield.

Pmt111500

« Reply #1691 on: January 02, 2018, 07:13:07 AM »
Nope, my house is well over a hundred years old. All the windows are still there as far as I can see, dispite at least -25°C. That was a while back though...
Oh, definitely not (bottomed out at -35C here once) and glad to hear my windows have at least +10 years life in them. When we changed the way water main pipe comes in the house though, the foundations moved a bit twisting the frame. Now it requires a rubber hammer (mallet) to get some of them to open.

Sleepy

• Nilas ice
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1692 on: January 02, 2018, 10:57:11 AM »
We never get those temps here anymore, the record for Götaland is -38.5°C and that was in January 1918. The house was here then, not moi. :)
-

Hefaistos

« Reply #1693 on: January 02, 2018, 11:29:06 AM »

We actually had two windows break last winter, when it was -23 C. It's a newly built house with three-glass panes (Aluminium windows in wood frames), and one pf the glass panes cracked, leaving us with only two panes.
New windows from a Polish factory, no warranty, no insurance, but really cheap :)

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 49
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #1694 on: January 02, 2018, 01:16:10 PM »
Boy the US has been cold in December.....Donnie even said as much.  He says "we need some of that global warming."

I hate to be the bearer of bad news when it comes to Donnie Trump.. ;)....but here are the numbers from the National Climactic Data Center in the US from December 1st through December 30th (they have not yet posted data from the 31st):

New Daily Record HIGH Temperature readings in the US for December:  1,434

New Daily Record LOW Temperature readings in the US for December:      560

I guess Donnie got what he asked for.....help from global warming.....only he didn't know it. ::)

http://climatechangegraphs.blogspot.com/2012/08/ratio-of-new-record-daily-high-temps-to_30.html
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 01:51:08 PM by Buddy »
FOX (RT) News....."The Trump Channel.....where truth and journalism are dead."

Susan Anderson

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 40
  • Likes Given: 279
« Reply #1695 on: January 02, 2018, 04:28:59 PM »
Yes, North America has a huge unrelenting cold blob (and here in the northeast we might have a blizzard Thursday followed by several more even colder days before letup to normal freezing temps). It's hard to convince dedicated unskeptical "skeptics" (deniers) that this is part of the planetary disruption due to global warming.

Alexander555

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1696 on: January 02, 2018, 08:04:13 PM »
Yes, North America has a huge unrelenting cold blob (and here in the northeast we might have a blizzard Thursday followed by several more even colder days before letup to normal freezing temps). It's hard to convince dedicated unskeptical "skeptics" (deniers) that this is part of the planetary disruption due to global warming.

Show them this, this explains already a little bit. There is an area in the middle that's pretty hot for being the arctic.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1697 on: January 02, 2018, 10:11:30 PM »
U.S. east coast storm this week could “bomb” into the strength of a Category 3 hurricane.

A meteorological ‘bomb’ is set to go off along the East Coast, and dangerous cold will soon follow
An unusually powerful storm is threatening the East Coast of the U.S. this week with heavy snow, high winds, and record-shattering cold not seen in some places since the early 20th Century -- if at all.

The storm will be the result of a combination of three strong pieces of atmospheric energy, known to meteorologists as shortwaves.

Think of these shortwaves as protein bars for storm formation. This particular storm, which is already beginning to form off the coast of Florida, will devour enough of them to allow it to become so powerful that it will contain hurricane force winds by the time it moves off the Mid-Atlantic coast late Wednesday night.
Because of the cold air in place ahead of the storm, winter storm watches and advisories for this event have been issued as far south as Florida, all the way northward to Massachusetts, which is nearly unheard of.
Some computer models are projecting a minimum central air pressure of below 950 millibars at its peak, which would be nearly unheard of for this part of the world outside of a hurricane. For comparison, Hurricane Sandy had a minimum central pressure of about 946 millibars when it made its left hook into New Jersey in 2012.
If the model projections prove correct, this could be one of the strongest winter storms on record, at least for this part of the North Atlantic Ocean. One key reason for the off the charts intensity is the contrast between the Arctic air mass currently in place across much of the U.S., and near-record warm Gulf Stream waters in the Atlantic.
http://mashable.com/2018/01/02/weather-bomb-to-strike-east-coast-arctic-blast-coldest-to-date

Sleepy

• Nilas ice
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1698 on: January 03, 2018, 07:53:07 AM »

We actually had two windows break last winter, when it was -23 C. It's a newly built house with three-glass panes (Aluminium windows in wood frames), and one pf the glass panes cracked, leaving us with only two panes.
New windows from a Polish factory, no warranty, no insurance, but really cheap :)
There's always a human error somewhere, here it's called wife. ;)
Nah, those things can happen when you're removing old putty. I've done that myself on another house. I recently bought a few three-glass panes (cassettes), let's hope they are properly made. Haven't installed them yet, time will tell.
-

Rob Dekker

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Likes Given: 119
« Reply #1699 on: January 03, 2018, 10:32:06 AM »
This Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society (BAMS) special report presents assessments of how human-caused climate change may have affected the strength and likelihood of individual extreme events.

https://www.ametsoc.org/ams/index.cfm/publications/bulletin-of-the-american-meteorological-society-bams/explaining-extreme-events-from-a-climate-perspective/?utm_source=Subscribers&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=Newsletter&_zs=Guhhc1&_zl=R10R4

This sixth edition of explaining extreme events of the previous year (2016) from a climate perspective is the first of these reports to find that some extreme events were not possible in a preindustrial climate. The events were the 2016 record global heat, the heat across Asia, as well as a marine heat wave off the coast of Alaska. While these results are novel, they were not unexpected. Climate attribution scientists have been predicting that eventually the influence of human-caused climate change would become sufficiently strong as to push events beyond the bounds of natural variability alone. It was also predicted that we would first observe this phenomenon for heat events where the climate change influence is most pronounced. Additional retrospective analysis will reveal if, in fact, these are the first events of their kind or were simply some of the first to be discovered.

It is a lengthy report, but well worth the read.
Weird weather is getting out of the noise....
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 10:42:02 AM by Rob Dekker »
This is our planet. This is our time.
Let's not waste either.