Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Weird Weather and anecdotal stories about climate change  (Read 1198316 times)

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1153
  • Likes Given: 430
Re: Weird Weather and anecdotal stories about climate change
« Reply #1850 on: February 26, 2018, 03:08:31 PM »
“This 5 day extreme heavy rainfall event has come to a close--with showers and thunderstorms moving swiftly along the cold front stretching from the Northeast to Deep South Texas.“
https://twitter.com/NWSWPC/status/967805451684413440
Image below.
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1851 on: February 26, 2018, 03:15:31 PM »
Just out of curiosity, was the recent 80F weather in the northeast US considered a 1 in 500 year event or something along those lines? 

I'd love to know the last time in the geological record that Greenland experienced 43F days in February.

Has it been millions of years?

It reached 46°F in northern Greenland in Feb 2012.
https://twitter.com/ruth_mottram/status/967769319106056192

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1852 on: February 27, 2018, 07:35:31 PM »
“The previous record for the longest total time above freezing during January-April in far northern Greenland was 16 hours in 2011.
In 2018, there's already been 61 hours in less than half that time.”
https://twitter.com/EricHolthaus/status/968212849150648320
Image below from a thread at the link.

bbr2314

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 158
  • Likes Given: 53
« Reply #1853 on: February 27, 2018, 08:06:47 PM »
“The previous record for the longest total time above freezing during January-April in far northern Greenland was 16 hours in 2011.
In 2018, there's already been 61 hours in less than half that time.”
https://twitter.com/EricHolthaus/status/968212849150648320
Image below from a thread at the link.
I don't know if it means anything but the above graph immediately struck me for its relation to summer/autumnal tropical cyclones impacting the East Coast.

1985 had Gloria, 2011 had Irene, 2017 had Irma. 1998 and 2010 aren't quite as compelling in the second tier of years, but if the leads are any indicator, we may be in for quite a doozy of a cane season this year.

Sleepy

• Nilas ice
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 120
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1854 on: February 28, 2018, 10:46:37 AM »
Winter was nice for a change, let's see who wins the race back to zero. NCEP, ECMWF operational or the ECMWF average.
Omnia mirari, etiam tritissima.
-
Science is a jealous mistress and takes little account of a man's feelings.

Sleepy

• Nilas ice
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1855 on: February 28, 2018, 11:33:46 AM »
Some more pictures (not mine...) from the winter of 1966.
-

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1856 on: February 28, 2018, 03:32:19 PM »
“The signature of the #beastfromtheast is clearly visible on this map of temperature departures from average today in Europe. Colder than avg. across nearly all of Europe. ”
https://twitter.com/afreedma/status/96857778334881792

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5289
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #1857 on: February 28, 2018, 05:31:53 PM »
“The signature of the #beastfromtheast is clearly visible on this map of temperature departures from average today in Europe. Colder than avg. across nearly all of Europe. ”
Who cares about Europe now the UK is leaving it ?
What really, really matters is that tomorrow, March 1st, is the official start of the UK spring. Instead we have the maximum impact of the #beast-from-the-east instead. And where does it come from? Siberia, and the US is worried about interference by Russia in their elections. Wake up!! Weather manipulation by the Russkies !!!
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

magnamentis

« Reply #1858 on: February 28, 2018, 08:50:54 PM »
Just out of curiosity, was the recent 80F weather in the northeast US considered a 1 in 500 year event or something along those lines? 

I'd love to know the last time in the geological record that Greenland experienced 43F days in February.

Has it been millions of years?
No. Harpy, you seem to read overhyped sources. Seriously, weather is variable, and "millions of years" includes several warm climactic periods. Let's focus on what we know well, it's scary enough as it is even when sticking to reliable facts.
What? He is not necessarily wrong.

it was about exageration (overhyped) not about right or wrong, as you remember we have been there about 2 years ago, while i agreed then (and still do) to the general direction of thinking and statement, exageration is giving deniers leverage to doubt and ridicule everything which we can read in some mainstream media every day and the donald is doing it over and over again.

it's important to express opinions and ideas(possibilities) in a way that does not sound factual and to avoid dogmatic approaches. many folks around the world who do not have the resources (any kind of resources one can think of) are easily fooled by those with a message that is made with something evil in mind.

Sleepy

• Nilas ice
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1859 on: March 01, 2018, 09:48:41 AM »
As far as I know, the 2010 record (-21°C) for Stockholm was not beaten in/for February.
The lowest temperature record, back to 1961, was set in 1966 with -25.5°C. Uppsala had -20.9°C yesterday though.

Adding anomalies for yesterday, all of February and all of the three winter months.
Also the 12z ensembles for Stockholm. The evolution of the recent SSW, starting early February, is coming to an end and this short period of colder anomalies is pretty much over here, starting today.
-

Sleepy

• Nilas ice
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1860 on: March 01, 2018, 09:53:20 AM »
While I'm at it, adding a picture of Stockholm observatory in 1784 and the reconstructed yearly mean between 1756-2016.
-

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 99
« Reply #1861 on: March 01, 2018, 10:07:10 AM »
I can't call winter what I've had so far, now it comes. Last 2 years were bad for fruits, late frost. What this one brings to me...
Then you might have colder than me, or the northernmost part of Greenland.

(Its time to drop some food to wild birds outside, i hear them - chirping while waiting for me. I don't have sunflower seeds but I saw that hawfinch does well with corn too :)

Its done, I faired well: snow blanket arrived timely, -12.7 C is all I got (in spite of yesterdays 12h local forecast of -18 C).

http://www.infoclimat.fr/cartes/observations-meteo/temps-reel/temperature-sous-abri/carte-zoomable.html#3/31.73/5.96
infoclimat snip attached:
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 10:16:20 AM by ivica »

Sleepy

• Nilas ice
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1862 on: March 01, 2018, 10:38:18 AM »
Good to know ivica, nice feedback. Don't know about your housing insulation down there, but some might not have done so well?
-

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #1863 on: March 01, 2018, 10:51:57 AM »
Sleepy, -15C or so is normal winter minimum here, every 10 y or so we see -20 C. Locals (in general) should have no problem with this one.

Sleepy

• Nilas ice
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1864 on: March 01, 2018, 11:06:26 AM »
Thanks ivica, the closest I've been to your location is Split. :)
-

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #1865 on: March 01, 2018, 11:24:36 AM »
Thanks ivica, the closest I've been to your location is Split. :)

Sometime I envy those adriatic dwellers ;) I was talking about my county, the coldest country part is Lika & Gorski Kotar:

severe-weather.EU @severeweatherEU Feb 26
  "Record breaking deep snow in Delnice, Croatia (170 cm this morning). Report: Marin Vlastelica"

severe-weather.EU @severeweatherEU Feb 24
  "Over 1.5 m of snow in Delnice, NW Croatia (~700 m) today, Feb 24. Report: Nedeljko Mandić / @crometeohr"

But that is normal 8) there.

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1012
  • Likes Given: 1034
« Reply #1866 on: March 01, 2018, 01:41:35 PM »
Snow drifting to 1 meter already here in N. Ireland .. Spring starts well below zero . I had stocked up already .. 300m lane well blocked .. and no-one on our road this past 2 hours . This is alreaddy the most dramatic weather event here since 1982 it probably has scarcely begun . ECMWF were giving us 10 days of -8 and below uppers . Off to wheel some more wood while I still can .  b.c.
Conflict is the root of all evil , for being blind it does not see whom it attacks . Yet it always attacks the Son Of God , and the Son of God is you .

Pmt111500

« Reply #1867 on: March 01, 2018, 03:31:14 PM »
<be cause> stay safe and watch those icy spots, snow's not too bad for ligaments.

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1012
  • Likes Given: 1034
« Reply #1868 on: March 01, 2018, 04:50:37 PM »
cheers pmt .. also looks like snow showers blowing from Ireland to Newfoundland .. not an everyday occurrence :)
Conflict is the root of all evil , for being blind it does not see whom it attacks . Yet it always attacks the Son Of God , and the Son of God is you .

Pmt111500

« Reply #1869 on: March 01, 2018, 05:02:44 PM »
It's indeed not uncommon to see two paths side by side in snow, the other one hardpacked and almost ice, and the other one that people use.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1870 on: March 01, 2018, 06:08:51 PM »
While we in the UK are suffering from some bad weather for which, as always, we are unprepared, it is nice to know that in a spirit of Anglo-Saxon solidarity we can observe in the N.E. USA the same but to the next level.

https://www.wunderground.com/cat6/weekend-noreaster-may-bring-major-flooding-northeast-us

A long-duration Nor’easter during the highest tides of the month
You know the coastal flooding situation may be serious when the normally dry and technical Scientific Forecast Discussion from Boston contains four exclamation marks in the marine impacts section, as it did on Wednesday morning. Unfortunately, a strong and slow-moving ridge of high pressure (a “blocking high”) over Greenland, which has brought an incredible flow of warm air northwards into the Arctic with above-freezing temperatures at the North Pole, will keep the weekend nor’easter from making much progress eastward. As a result, the Northeast U.S. coast will receive a punishing assault from a large storm surge and high waves that will last through three high tide cycles. Exacerbating the event will be the highest tides of the month—more than a foot above average--associated with the full moon.

https://weather.com/storms/winter/news/2018-03-01-winter-storm-riley-noreaster-high-winds-coastal-flooding-heavy-snow

Winter Storm Riley to Undergo Bombogenesis, Becoming an Intense Nor'easter With Coastal Flooding, High Winds, Heavy, Wet Snow in the East
Mar 1 2018 09:45 AM EST
weather.com

These weather events - hurricane season, winter, there is no respite, is there ?

« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 06:18:17 PM by gerontocrat »

werther

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 31
« Reply #1871 on: March 01, 2018, 08:53:18 PM »
For almost two weeks this event has been building up here in the Netherlands. Clear days, easterlies. Cold, but never close to winter as it felt in the 'old days'. Ice did form during the nights, but it melted again during mid days, ever strenghtening sunlight.
Until two days ago. Then, at the end of metereological winter, the 'dip' came. Winter never even came close until the 27th of februari. But last tuesday it took everybody by surprise.
I have to go back 20 years to remember a day alike, then a mid winter december day, with a wind like that and freezing like a cutting knife.
Winter at 1 March 2018. Weird...

jmshelton

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #1872 on: March 01, 2018, 10:39:53 PM »
So, I'm sitting here in Central California enjoying our first real winter storm of the year!  Our day time temps a little below average, but just a few weeks ago we were at record highs.  This current storm may keep us from having a record low snow pack, which in many areas around here were set only a couple of years ago.

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #1873 on: March 02, 2018, 12:52:18 AM »
Bill McKibben @billmckibben 6h6 hours ago

"Whaddya know, Boston likely to get its second 100-year-flood...this year.
https://www.wunderground.com/cat6/major-coastal-flooding-expected-fridays-noreaster …"

Edit:
https://www.wunderground.com/cat6 do have subject "Major Coastal Flooding, Hurricane-Force Wind Gusts Expected From Friday's Nor'easter, Dr. Jeff Masters March 1, 2018, 11:34 AM EST" but the link https://www.wunderground.com/cat6/major-coastal-flooding-expected-fridays-noreaster do not works?!
Fortunately, gerontocrat in his #1886 give us more info about the event.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 01:26:07 AM by ivica »

Daniel B.

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #1874 on: March 02, 2018, 02:54:07 AM »
That would make four over the past century (five if you count the great molasses flood).

Sleepy

• Nilas ice
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1875 on: March 02, 2018, 08:05:12 AM »
Thank you all who contributed with your little weather stories above, I really like those.

Having a date with Miss zero again, next week. Better get used to that gal, she sometimes pays a visit in June as well.

We also had extremely few hot summer days (>+25°C) last summer. Highest recorded summer temps (June 18&19) was +28°C. The last lower/colder maximum is from 1862.
-

Avalonian

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 26
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #1876 on: March 02, 2018, 09:42:34 AM »
Well, a town in mid Wales here, at 200 m altitude. We're not in the extreme snow belts, but the main road through the county town is practically impassible (I saw a quad bike go past, tentatively, just now), and there was a snow drift in the hall this morning. Yes, inside; there's a crack under the door. Apparently village shops have run out of bread (yes, even here...) We do occasionally get heavy snow in Wales, and sometimes it build up much deeper than this... but there's an odd quality to this that I've only seen once before, in the mountains of North Wales during November 2010. On that occasion we were with someone who'd come back from a year in Canada, and to her it was very familiar...

So, definitely anecodatal, but this weather is something new for here. We're used to the damp, sticky snow that falls in huge flakes and melts when the sun comes out. This stuff seems entirely alien, though - like we've walked into an artificial ski centre. Weird...

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1877 on: March 02, 2018, 10:30:10 AM »
North-East Storm Riley looks like it will live up to its pre-performance publicity. The bad luck is the onshore winds coincide with full moon tides and the blocking high over Greenland is making the storm hang around.

https://www.wunderground.com/cat6/major-coastal-flooding-expected-fridays-noreaster

N.B. When you click on the link you may get "Error - Page Not Found". Ignore it, wait small, and then the article may appear. Glitch in the system?

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1878 on: March 02, 2018, 01:51:39 PM »
30,000 Ordered to Evacuate as Southern California Storm Brings Threat of Mudslides
The county is following a rigorous new system of alerts that emphasizes evacuations well in advance of storms rather than suggesting residents can use their discretion.

“We want everyone to be out of the area, and out of harm’s way, by nightfall,” Brown said, adding that evacuations in areas stripped bare by wildfires will be part of “the new normal” following the devastation in Montecito.
http://time.com/5182249/santa-barbara-evacuated-mudslides/

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1879 on: March 02, 2018, 01:55:05 PM »
NWS Boston:
“[COASTAL FLOODING - 7a] Even at low tide, #Boston observing a 1 foot storm surge at this time; pressures rapidly falling down to 1000 mb; the central pressure southeast and offshore falling towards 970 mb ”
https://twitter.com/NWSBoston/status/969556077716045825

GeoffBeacon

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 21
« Reply #1880 on: March 02, 2018, 06:03:52 PM »
Most of you here are a bit more grown up than me - despite my fairly advanced age so perhaps someone can help.  I've tweeted this

The UK Met Office is adamant that what is occurring now should be regarded as part of the natural ups and downs we get in our weather. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-43245136 … (They think it's not climate change - now their bosses are in the Department of Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy?)

Snow from the "Beast from the East"

Three questions

1. Was the Met Office being reasonable?
2. Was the BBC wrong in ignoring the Jennifer Francis story?
3. Is my conspiracy theory barmy?

I see Carbon Brief are writing on this today:
Explainer: The polar vortex, climate change and the ‘Beast from the East’
Il faut cultiver notre cité-jardin
The Sustainable Plotlands Association

Avalonian

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 26
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #1881 on: March 02, 2018, 06:15:22 PM »
I saw that too, Geoff... and also feel it's worryingly overcautious. Basically, one can spin it two ways:

1. We can never know for certain whether a particular weather event would have happened without climate change, and therefore we can't claim that CC caused any event in particular. Kind-of true, but...

2. The world doesn't have the option of producing weather in the absence of climate change any more. It's here, and it's everywhere. Therefore, every weather event, every day, has been influenced by climate change.

So, if we're seeing patterns that used to be rare becoming more extreme and more frequent, and we can predict that climate change should lead specifically to what we're seeing, then how can we argue rationally that it might not have been anything to do with climate change in this case..? Although logically you can spin it either way, my feeling is that for the sake of galvanising political and personal action, respected institutions like the Met Office should really be pushing option 2!

CalamityCountdown

• New ice
    • View Profile
    • Calamity Countdown
  • Liked: 12
  • Likes Given: 45
« Reply #1882 on: March 02, 2018, 06:35:12 PM »
The UK Met Office is adamant that what is occurring now should be regarded as part of the natural ups and downs we get in our weather. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-43245136 … (They think it's not climate change - now their bosses are in the Department of Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy?)

Obviously, the folks at the UK Met Office have not seen the movie "The Day After Tomorrow".  That apocalyptic movie now seems rather prescient, if maybe just a wee bit over the top

GeoffBeacon

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 21
« Reply #1883 on: March 02, 2018, 06:35:36 PM »
worryingly overcautious.

Thanks. Nice grown-up phrase.
Il faut cultiver notre cité-jardin
The Sustainable Plotlands Association

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1884 on: March 02, 2018, 07:26:48 PM »
Washington, D.C.

“There is a temporary ground stop at @Dulles_Airport while the @FAANews implements their contingency plan. The FAA Tower was evacuated due to high winds and FAA controllers are currently transitioning to the airport ramp tower. Normal operations expected to resume shortly.”
https://twitter.com/dulles_airport/status/969625895215554561

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1885 on: March 02, 2018, 07:32:25 PM »
Eastern U.S.:

“Contributing to the 900,000 customers without power in 17 states! #WinterStormRiley #Windmageddon #noreaster”
    https://twitter.com/StephanieAbrams/status/969625997619408896

Watertown, Massachusetts:
“Please avoid Arsenal St until further notice.”
https://twitter.com/WatertownPD/status/969608965322625024
Image below.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1886 on: March 02, 2018, 07:39:20 PM »
Dulles Airport, Pilot Report:

Official NOAA aircraft report amid high winds: "PRETTY MUCH EVERY ONE ON THE PLANE THREW UP"
https://twitter.com/justin_fenton/status/969619079794446336
Image below.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1887 on: March 02, 2018, 07:44:27 PM »
Oh! I do like to be beside the seaside!
I do like to be beside the sea!
I do like to stroll along the Prom, Prom, Prom!
Where the brass bands play, "Tiddely-om-pom-pom!"

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #1888 on: March 02, 2018, 07:56:44 PM »
severe-weather.EU @severeweatherEU Mar 1

"Another view of nearly 2 m of snow in Delnice, Gorski Kotar, NW Croatia yesterday, Feb 28. Photo: Aleksandar Gospić Photography"

superb photo.

Gray-Wolf

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 131
  • Likes Given: 458
« Reply #1889 on: March 02, 2018, 09:27:09 PM »
I think the sad reality is the weather only has a small number of ways to express itself and many of those ways has seen , in the past ,conflagrations of forcings push wild extremes? how many times do we have the deniers pull out some faded newspaper report to show a current weather event as 'normal' They never seek out the forcings of that event but most will have some event or other wholly missing in today's events ( be it equatorial eruption chilling the equator and driving a lazy jet via lessening temp/pressure grad. by the equatorial cooling and not our current Arctic Amplification)

In the UK we had a nice funnel cloud as Emma poked her face into the 'Beast from the east' ( in Devon?) and it will be the uptick in NW European/N.Italian Tornado's that will have folk pay attention? How long before a polar plunge meets with an African plume ( charged from its passage over Biscay) and mimics the temp/humidity of a mid west event? We are ground zero for tornado's it's just they are so weedy. Once they become more punchy the population density of NW Europe will ensure that there will be plenty of damage to gawp at but most will see it as 'new' esp. if an outbreak and not just isolated?
I'm not liking the winds with our current weather extreme. This is new to me. I've never known the M62 motorway closed for two days due to 'weather' and never due to 'wind as it is as I type!
KOYAANISQATSI

ko.yaa.nis.katsi (from the Hopi language), n. 1. crazy life. 2. life in turmoil. 3. life disintegrating. 4. life out of balance. 5. a state of life that calls for another way of living.

VIRESCIT VULNERE VIRTUS

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1890 on: March 03, 2018, 03:29:48 AM »
Northeast U.S.

This week’s storm is larger in size than Hurricane Sandy, with winds just as strong.

Nor’easters are now just as dangerous as hurricanes
On Friday and Saturday, the winter storm now moving up the East Coast will unleash hurricane-force winds on Washington, blizzard conditions across parts of New York and New England, and inflict the worst coastal flood in Boston’s history.

By all accounts, this storm is a monster. It’s also the latest sign that New England’s long-feared coastal flooding problem is already here — and it’s time to admit climate change is its primary cause. ...
https://grist.org/article/boston-noreaster-hurricane-like-winter-bomb-cyclone/

Pmt111500

« Reply #1891 on: March 03, 2018, 07:50:10 AM »
Wow, that's quite a lot of snow (Croatia) and wind (NE US). Here a photo of parallel paths on snow. Use the left one for not slipping.

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #1892 on: March 03, 2018, 09:47:11 AM »
severe-weather.EU @severeweatherEU 45m45 minutes ago

"Ice age in Senj, NW Croatia after days of sea spray freezing in strong Bura winds. Report: Zdenka Sojat"

thats on the adriatic cost mind you (happens there from time to time)

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #1893 on: March 03, 2018, 10:19:51 AM »
... a few hundred kilometers down the cost: picigin 2018

and cheating a bit, thats Christmass time:

enough of winter, 10+ C comes to me next week (and flood?  :o)

Sleepy

• Nilas ice
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1894 on: March 03, 2018, 12:10:47 PM »
Happy surfing in Stockholm. :)
https://www.svt.se/nyheter/lokalt/stockholm/13-grader-hindrar-inte-surfarna
It was a great day with clean waves and lovely people in the water. We surfed for two hours, says Joao Caldas.
-

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1895 on: March 03, 2018, 12:39:25 PM »

enough of winter, 10+ C comes to me next week (and flood?  :o)
I was in Mostar winter of 75-76. That bloody wind howling down the Adriatic lasted until April

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1896 on: March 03, 2018, 12:42:44 PM »
Northeast U.S.

This week’s storm is larger in size than Hurricane Sandy, with winds just as strong.

Nor’easters are now just as dangerous as hurricanes
On Friday and Saturday, the winter storm now moving up the East Coast will unleash hurricane-force winds on Washington, blizzard conditions across parts of New York and New England, and inflict the worst coastal flood in Boston’s history.

By all accounts, this storm is a monster. It’s also the latest sign that New England’s long-feared coastal flooding problem is already here — and it’s time to admit climate change is its primary cause. ...
https://grist.org/article/boston-noreaster-hurricane-like-winter-bomb-cyclone/
So far, the flooding looks bad, but not quite as bad as it could have been. Next two/three tides will reveal all.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1897 on: March 03, 2018, 07:48:00 PM »
The NE Coast Nor'Easter

It ain't over til its over. Flooding and Coastal Erosion.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1898 on: March 03, 2018, 07:58:35 PM »
And by the way - the Spring Tides and the strong easterly winds are causing problems in the UK. Images are from Devon and Cornwall - but the East Coast of the UK, especially those places already suffering from coastal erosion on a regular basis, are also being walloped.

Nibble, nibble, nibble - nature's way.

Sleepy

• Nilas ice
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1899 on: March 04, 2018, 04:54:15 PM »
Having a date with Miss zero again, next week. Better get used to that gal, she sometimes pays a visit in June as well.
Miss zero was actually here today already. How nice of her.

Edit; might as well add a graph from my own weather station to keep this post from beeing purely anecdotal or hearsay. :)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 05:43:34 PM by Sleepy »
-