Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Weird Weather and anecdotal stories about climate change  (Read 1198405 times)

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1153
  • Likes Given: 430
Re: Weird Weather and anecdotal stories about climate change
« Reply #1900 on: March 04, 2018, 05:02:37 PM »
U.S. Northeast still facing flooding, outages after killer storm
Some 1.8 million customers remained without power throughout the eastern United States on Saturday, and communities on the New England coast faced more flooding a day after a powerful storm snapped trees, downed wires and killed at least seven people.

The remnants of the storm, known as a nor'easter, continued to buffet the northeastern United States with wind gusts of up to 50 miles per hour (80 kph) even as it moved hundreds of miles out to sea, hampering efforts to restore power.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/killer-storm-exits-us-northeast-leaving-floods-outages/ar-BBJP1hb

“The power of water.  93% of Scituate [Massachusetts] still w/o power.  Race against time before the next storm [Wednesday].  #peggottybeach ”
https://twitter.com/JimCantore/status/970312207635566592
Images below.

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

Niall Dollard

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 460
  • Likes Given: 117
« Reply #1901 on: March 04, 2018, 05:31:13 PM »
Much of Ireland received a heavy fall of snow from Feb 27th to Mar 03. It was particularly bad in the south and east of the country, even the normally very mild coastal parts, where lying snow is rare at any time of the year. Drifting snow was a big problem with 2 metre drifts blocking roads.

This you tube video is from coastal Wexford town in the SE corner of the country.

New low March temperature records were set at stations along the south coast.

Cork Airport set a new March record on March 1st with a min of -7.0 C.

At nearby Roches Point, which is situated on a cliff top overlooking the Atlantic Ocean, the new record of -5.4 C easily beat the old 1965 record  of -3.4 C. Continuous temperature records have been maintained at that site for the past 142 years.

Sleepy

• Nilas ice
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 120
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1902 on: March 05, 2018, 09:51:50 AM »
+3°C forecasted for my location tomorrow so I took a quick snapshot on my way out this morning, the snow has already flattened a bit but it won't look the same tomorrow.
It was nice with a dash of winter for a change, spring is coming.
Omnia mirari, etiam tritissima.
-
Science is a jealous mistress and takes little account of a man's feelings.

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1012
  • Likes Given: 1034
« Reply #1903 on: March 05, 2018, 11:56:00 AM »
^^^ it is strange seeing such similar weather in Sweeden and Ireland . With me only the biggest drifts survive .. up to 18'' .. lane still blocked .. but not for much longer .. b.c.
Conflict is the root of all evil , for being blind it does not see whom it attacks . Yet it always attacks the Son Of God , and the Son of God is you .

Sleepy

• Nilas ice
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1904 on: March 05, 2018, 12:20:17 PM »
Been a couple of weird weather weeks, b.c. This might just be a foretaste of that though.
-

Gray-Wolf

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 131
  • Likes Given: 458
« Reply #1905 on: March 05, 2018, 01:11:14 PM »
This is my concern also Sleepy! The 'cold plunge' should be taken in context with the time of year which , to my mind, makes it even more extreme?

If the pendulum is swinging this wildly now just how crazy could the year ahead become?

At the moment the bee in my bonnet is 'low solar' and any augmentation it may bring along with it esp. if it is to be another long and drawn out minimum?

We know for the Atlantic it means a propensity of northern blocking over winter but does that blocking move further north as spring isotherms return to our hemisphere?

If it does mean more blocking in the basin over summer then we may find ourselves in a bad way by August?
KOYAANISQATSI

ko.yaa.nis.katsi (from the Hopi language), n. 1. crazy life. 2. life in turmoil. 3. life disintegrating. 4. life out of balance. 5. a state of life that calls for another way of living.

VIRESCIT VULNERE VIRTUS

DrTskoul

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 210
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #1906 on: March 05, 2018, 01:33:45 PM »
Only problem with "low solar" is that the previous notable instances were on top of a background of natural variation and in magnitude more than 50% of it. Now the background is CO2 forced, and the solar variation is a mere 10% or less. Its effect will be commensurately smaller....

Archimid

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 899
  • Likes Given: 206
« Reply #1907 on: March 05, 2018, 03:40:19 PM »
Weird weather. yeah sure.

Wave event destroys the park where I take morning walks.This wave event is related to the "nor'easter" that just hit Boston.

That's ok though. The GDP is growing so this isn't really happenning.
I am an energy reservoir seemingly intent on lowering entropy for self preservation.

Sleepy

• Nilas ice
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1908 on: March 05, 2018, 03:57:42 PM »
@Archimid, sad to hear that, unfortunately I think you are correct with your last sarcasm.

@Gray-Wolf, I was thinking more of any weird or extreme weather, due to the demise of Arctic sea ice and GHG forcing.

I know of e.g. Lockwood's work but he was talking about an 8% chance of Maunder minimum like conditions within fifty years. I.e. lower solar irradiance and high GCR which then would affect  stratospheric temperatures and disturb the PV.

TSI is still higher than the last cycle's minimum, which was higher than around the 1900's, which in turn was higher than during Dalton and Maunder. GCR is high but not higher than during the previous cycle.

So I think of the recent SSW as being forced by ourselves. For all I know we might even have a slightly stronger solar cycle next time around but it won't matter much either way. We have effectively postponed the next ice age for thousands of years to come.

Adding the TSI, reconstructed TSI and also GCR.
-

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1909 on: March 05, 2018, 09:11:33 PM »
Two Aerial Photos of Coastal Flooding in Scituate, Mass as provided by N1YHS-Ralph Karl Swenson. Photos taken on the Sunday 3/4/18 midday high tide. #mawx
https://twitter.com/WX1BOX/status/970642101007417344
Photo below; another at the link.

The ocean swell event has been so impactful in the Caribbean that even within San Juan Bay the rising water and wave action caused damage along the outside of ancient wall surrounds Old San Juan.
https://twitter.com/JohnMoralesNBC6/status/970657477325975552
Photos at the link.

Massive waves from weekend nor'easter cause damage in Caribbean, reach South America
Article:  https://mashable.com/2018/03/05/noreaster-high-waves-reach-caribbean

Gray-Wolf

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1910 on: March 06, 2018, 04:28:54 PM »
So the SSW that just fetched Europe it's 'beast from the East' propagated from planetary angular momentum that was 4 standard Deviations away from the norm

Michael Ventrice just tweeted this;

"over a +5 standard deviation rise in N. Hemisphere averaged atmospheric angular momentum is predicted via the GFS in the medium range. This will have a big impact on the Pacific Jet and downstream America weather."

5 feckin' standard Deviations from the norm!!! is that not a 1 in 3,500,000 chance???

The polar Vortex is winding down for the year so what will such a huge jolt of angular momentum mean for the N. Hemisphere??
KOYAANISQATSI

ko.yaa.nis.katsi (from the Hopi language), n. 1. crazy life. 2. life in turmoil. 3. life disintegrating. 4. life out of balance. 5. a state of life that calls for another way of living.

VIRESCIT VULNERE VIRTUS

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1911 on: March 06, 2018, 06:16:57 PM »
“Parts of northern Alaska were 43°F warmer than normal yesterday.
This isn’t even that unusual anymore.
Without sea ice to insulate the Arctic, a state-change is underway. The Arctic is a fundamentally different place now.”
     https://twitter.com/ericholthaus/status/971045568737873920

“Monday, northern and western #Alaska were much warmer (relative to normal) than Southcentral and Southeast. That's an (estimated) departure of +43F at Umiat to -12F at Gulkana. This pattern has been common this winter (and last). #akwx #Arctic @Climatologist49 @DaveSnider”
https://twitter.com/alaskawx/status/971044095362678784
Image below.

Sebastian Jones

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 214
  • Likes Given: 158
« Reply #1912 on: March 06, 2018, 06:59:07 PM »
So the SSW that just fetched Europe it's 'beast from the East' propagated from planetary angular momentum that was 4 standard Deviations away from the norm

"over a +5 standard deviation rise in N. Hemisphere averaged atmospheric angular momentum is predicted via the GFS in the medium range. This will have a big impact on the Pacific Jet and downstream America weather."

5 feckin' standard Deviations from the norm!!! is that not a 1 in 3,500,000 chance???

OK, I'll bite: Despite being well aware that one is generally better off to remain silent and be thought a fool rather than to open one's mouth and confirm it, I'm going to ask the stupid question:
"What does this even mean Gray Wolf?" "How does planetary angular momentum vary by so much?" And: "Surely variations in planetary orbit have been worked out well in advance since the Babylonians began charting the heavens."

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1913 on: March 06, 2018, 08:42:03 PM »
“Thousands of dead starfish have washed up on a beach in the United Kingdom”
https://twitter.com/CNN/status/971067131709313024
Brief video at the link.

Gray-Wolf

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1914 on: March 06, 2018, 08:53:31 PM »
The only way i can understand it all Seb is 'energy in the system'. As I understand the MJO ( Madden Julian Oscillation?) tracks the stormy area of the equator as it tracks around but its positioning obviously messes up the full depth of the atmosphere ( like a monster hurricane tracking around the equator?

The other fly in the ointment are the winds high up in the atmosphere over the equator ( Quasi biennial oscillation or QBO?)

These winds used to be know as the time keeper of the climate system as their reversals from east to west and west to east used to be something you could set your watch by..... until the last reversal when they should have tracked east but they got near to the surface and then returned up without flipping east? This had never been observed before.

Both QBO and MJO appear to have suffered from the oddly positioned winter night jet ( Polar vortex) over recent years and anyone using Nullschool Earth at the 10 mb level of the atmosphere will have seen it reach down to the equator ( and obviously mess with the QBO winds)

So ,to me, it is like winding an elastic band on a balsa wood plane. Wind it too much and it all goes to Hel.

The open water Arctic has so messed with the Autumn/early winter atmosphere above it it has knocked the Winter night jet ( polar vortex) off kilter and that energy has passed on into the MJO/QBO winding them up beyond normal tolerances?

So it's like the whole atmosphere is a big wound up elastic band and every so often it goes 'Twang' and those 'twangs' , due to its off centred forcings, are appearing ever more extreme. Beyond what we have models for?

When we go blue ocean the forcings , being over the whole of the Arctic and not the Beaufort/Bering and the Barentsz/Kara edges, will be more extreme but in balance with the rotation of the planet so not building up odd, out of kilter, 'Twangs'?

But then that's just my 'understanding' allowing for my broad brush stroke understandings?
KOYAANISQATSI

VIRESCIT VULNERE VIRTUS

Sebastian Jones

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 214
  • Likes Given: 158
« Reply #1915 on: March 06, 2018, 08:58:59 PM »
The only way i can understand it all Seb is 'energy in the system'.
Thanks Gray Wolf! I am comforted to find out that it is *only* major atmospheric circulation anomalies, not changes in earth's orbit!

Gray-Wolf

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1916 on: March 07, 2018, 01:46:30 PM »
The only way i can understand it all Seb is 'energy in the system'.
Thanks Gray Wolf! I am comforted to find out that it is *only* major atmospheric circulation anomalies, not changes in earth's orbit!
Found this from back in 2016;

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/2016GL068330/full

"Recent evidence from both observations and model simulations suggests that an Arctic sea ice reduction tends to cause a negative Arctic Oscillation (AO) phase with severe winter weather in the Northern Hemisphere, which is often preceded by weakening of the stratospheric polar vortex. Although this evidence hints at a stratospheric involvement in the Arctic-mid latitude climate linkage, the exact role of the stratosphere remains elusive. Here we show that tropospheric AO response to the Arctic sea ice reduction largely disappears when suppressing the stratospheric wave mean flow interactions in numerical experiments. The results confirm a crucial role of the stratosphere in the sea ice impacts on the midlatitudes by coupling between the stratospheric polar vortex and planetary-scale waves. Those results and consistency with observation-based evidence suggest that a recent Arctic sea ice loss is linked to midlatitudes extreme weather events associated with the negative AO phase."

Which highlights the importance of a wonky 'polar night jet' ( Polar Vortex) on the planetary waves in the mid latitudes.

I just have to wonder what we'll see when instead of it being the two ocean entrances to the basin providing the destabilisation it's the whole basin???
KOYAANISQATSI

VIRESCIT VULNERE VIRTUS

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1917 on: March 08, 2018, 06:56:06 PM »
“#Alaska statewide 2017-18 was the 4th warmest mid-winter (Dec-Feb) of record (since 1925), 9.3F (5.2C) above the 20th century average. Five of the ten mildest winters since 2000; that's a 5.5F (3.0C) increase since the early 1970s. #akwx #Arctic @Climatologist49 @DaveSnider ”
https://twitter.com/AlaskaWx/status/971574441363718145

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1918 on: March 08, 2018, 06:59:44 PM »
This is how much spring has warmed since 1970
Article:  http://wxshift.com/news/graphics/warming-spring

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 99
« Reply #1919 on: March 08, 2018, 09:33:05 PM »
Thinking about weird weather, how about this: "the central cyclone at the planet’s north pole and the eight cyclones that encircle it."

Credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech/SwRI/ASI/INAF/JIRAM.

Fortunately Earth that is not.

Alexander555

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 185
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #1920 on: March 11, 2018, 08:10:13 PM »
The 3th Nor'Easter is forcasted closer and closer to the coast. And it looks like it's going to be Boston again. Hurricane speed winds and plenty of snow.

Alexander555

• Young ice
    • View Profile

Niall Dollard

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1922 on: March 12, 2018, 08:35:45 PM »
http://www.latimes.com/visuals/video/83637562-157.html

Alexander, where did you pluck that one from ? You have posted no written statement with the video link.

Mention of upcoming monsoon season, got me immediately suspicious. Best match I could find using a google search was that this event refers back to torrid conditions at the end of May 2015.

Alexander555

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1923 on: March 12, 2018, 09:00:17 PM »
I have the link from a facebook group. But i have been watching the temperature in India on ventusky, and it has been above 40 degree C for several days. So i think it's from the last weeks.

Alexander555

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1924 on: March 12, 2018, 09:06:46 PM »
The temperature went above 30 degree C half way February, in almost the entire country. With peaks above 40 degree C. And it's still going on.

Iceismylife

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #1925 on: March 12, 2018, 09:40:35 PM »

Niall Dollard

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1926 on: March 12, 2018, 10:20:20 PM »
I have the link from a facebook group. But i have been watching the temperature in India on ventusky, and it has been above 40 degree C for several days. So i think it's from the last weeks.

Facebook groups are not to be trusted. Why not use a source that quotes the actual temperatures such as Ogimet ?

http://www.ogimet.com/resynops.phtml.en

A check on the India maxes today gives many stations close to 40 C with Bhira leading the pack at 42 C.

The video posted refers to temperatures of 120 F (almost 49 C). That is why I think the video is not from this year at all.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1927 on: March 13, 2018, 08:07:06 PM »
Third nor’easter in about two weeks.

“This morning's stunning nor'easter -- drawing moisture northwards all the way from Central America.”
https://twitter.com/EricHolthaus/status/973612507079282688
Image below.

Alexander555

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1928 on: March 13, 2018, 08:23:36 PM »

Facebook groups are not to be trusted. Why not use a source that quotes the actual temperatures such as Ogimet ?

http://www.ogimet.com/resynops.phtml.en

A check on the India maxes today gives many stations close to 40 C with Bhira leading the pack at 42 C.

The video posted refers to temperatures of 120 F (almost 49 C). That is why I think the video is not from this year at all.

It's possible that it's not from this year . At first i did not realise that 120F is 49 C. But i checked the max average temperature for a few cities. And they were all 3 to 7 degree C above that average. That's why i did not questioned that 120 F. And for next week they forcast again some high temperatures.

Niall Dollard

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1929 on: March 13, 2018, 10:07:07 PM »
But hardly weird.

Climate reanalyzer 5 day forecast for Eastern Asia does not show large anomalies over India. I think of more interest is the high anomalies over China and Mongolia. 

doogi

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #1930 on: March 13, 2018, 10:21:18 PM »
An internet search for "Heat wave kills more than 1,100 in India" shows that the clip most likely is from may 2015.

Avalonian

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 26
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #1931 on: March 14, 2018, 12:28:58 PM »
New paper showing the link between warm Arctic and cold eastern US:
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-018-02992-9?WT.ec_id=NCOMMS-20180314&spMailingID=56189281&spUserID=NjA4ODQzNzEzMTMS1&spJobID=1362156042&spReportId=MTM2MjE1NjA0MgS2

No surprise there, then, but at least some more research to point at.

Alexander555

• Young ice
    • View Profile

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 99
« Reply #1933 on: March 15, 2018, 09:18:42 PM »
Tale of dying winter dragon is gonna hit me (& many others) again!

http://www.severe-weather.eu/mcd/updates-on-the-upcoming-arctic-outbreak-this-weekend/

"Not liking this new cold wave? Don’t worry – we’re back to more spring temperatures late next week!"
I welcome that :)

P-maker

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 72
« Reply #1934 on: March 15, 2018, 11:07:29 PM »
Is that a cold vortex (sensu stricto according to Wayne on the ASIB) coming down over our heads the coming week?

Daniel B.

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #1935 on: March 15, 2018, 11:47:35 PM »
Yes it is.  Expect more snow and a slight delay to the start of spring.

Sleepy

• Nilas ice
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1936 on: March 16, 2018, 05:21:36 AM »
For a Swede, cold nights and warm (preferably sunny) days is spring in March.
-

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1937 on: March 16, 2018, 06:48:27 PM »
A fourth nor’easter for the eastern U.S. is forecast for next week.

Rapid Arctic warming and melting ice are increasing the frequency of blizzards in the Northeast, study finds
Three blockbuster winter storms have bombarded the Northeast this month. Meanwhile, Arctic sea ice fell to record low winter levels. Temperatures, in the dead of winter, rocketed to the melting point at the North Pole, nearly 60 degrees above normal.

All of this wild weather is tied together,  part of a trend, and linked to climate change, a study published in the journal Nature Communications finds.

The study, titled “Warm Arctic episodes linked with increased frequency of extreme winter weather in the United States,” shows that severe winter weather, late in the season, has increased over the eastern United States since 1990 as the Arctic has dramatically warmed, faster than any other part of the world.

When the Arctic is warm, the study finds, cold weather and heavy snowfalls in the eastern United States are two to four times more likely than when it is cold.
The study investigated changes in an index of the severity of winter weather in different U.S. cities and how they were related to Arctic weather patterns. In short, the authors found that when the Arctic region was cold and air pressures were low, it was cold in the western United States and mild in the eastern United States. But when the Arctic was warm and pressures were high, it was mild in the West and cold in the East.
The study found that episodes of severe winter weather in the East were typically preceded by a sudden warming of the Arctic from the surface through the stratosphere as well as a split in the polar vortex, the zone of frigid air encircling the Arctic high altitudes. Such a vortex split shifts cold air normally centered over the Arctic over eastern North America and/or Europe.

Cohen said the vortex split led to the recent parade of nor’easters as well as the severe outbreak of cold and snow in Europe, dubbed the “Beast from the East.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2018/03/14/rapid-arctic-warming-and-melting-ice-are-increasing-the-frequency-of-blizzards-in-the-northeast-study-finds/

Susan Anderson

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 40
  • Likes Given: 279
« Reply #1938 on: March 16, 2018, 08:57:29 PM »
I'm in the crosshairs of this 4th north Atlantic northeaster (actually 6th for the season, late October and the big 'un 4 January) as my family caregiving puts me trying to get from Princeton to Boston this coming Wednesday. I would not be surprised to see a 5th and possible a 6th before it dissipates.

There was a sudden stratospheric warming (SSW) event, and this is characteristic (Europe and the US) of the last 3 I've observed. That's not a big enough sample for science. It is also part of rather than separate from other climate consequences of the melting Arctic (once again, amateur opinion).

Sleepy

• Nilas ice
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1939 on: March 18, 2018, 07:16:43 AM »
A crisp -20°C here this early morning. My air source heat pumps are feeling the strain for once. Of course my own weather station decided to die a few days back so I will have no record saved.  :'(
Clear and sunny, so it will be back above zero later today, further enhancing the snow crust.

Sunlight is extraordinary thanks to snow reflection. This kind of weather is what people here (usually in northern Sweden) call the fifth season; vårvinter = spring winter. Occasionally we also have that here in the southern parts, but it's usually short or non existent.
-

Sleepy

• Nilas ice
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1940 on: March 19, 2018, 06:51:13 AM »
Resuming.
-

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5289
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #1941 on: March 19, 2018, 11:32:41 AM »
From now, until the end of the month at least, the weather in Middle England is going to be ordinary- yes, completely and utterly ordinary. Not very cold, not very warm. Not very wet, not very dry. Not very windy, not very calm. Not very sunny, not very cloudy.

Weird, or what.
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

Sleepy

• Nilas ice
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1942 on: March 19, 2018, 11:40:28 AM »
Guess we are out of luck. Present weather warnings in Europe.
-

Gray-Wolf

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1943 on: March 19, 2018, 02:35:31 PM »
From now, until the end of the month at least, the weather in Middle England is going to be ordinary- yes, completely and utterly ordinary. Not very cold, not very warm. Not very wet, not very dry. Not very windy, not very calm. Not very sunny, not very cloudy.

Weird, or what.

With the polar Jet off visiting the sub tropical jet for vast swathes of the northern hemisphere this winter we've had great opportunities to mix all the airs from pole to the azores!!!
As for the airs south of the subtropical jet..... well they should be quite hydrated!

As the polar jet heads north for the summer I wonder what the sub tropical jet will seek to push our way?
Will the polar jet still wish to slink around or will sections of it just 'settle' over a region for long periods leading to 'stuck weather' for some?

I'm voting for a big high over Spain, a bit out into the Atlantic and up over the UK? for the duration?

Nice hot SW'erlies and not a cloud in the sky!!! :)

Of course ,in reality we'll have a trough all summer and copious rain! :(

KOYAANISQATSI

VIRESCIT VULNERE VIRTUS

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5289
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #1944 on: March 19, 2018, 03:30:26 PM »
Guess we are out of luck. Present weather warnings in Europe.

Guess we you are out of luck. "Hee hee" the unfeeling, insufferably smug Englishman said.

ps: Clue from the map. Is Sleepy a GurterBurger ?
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

Sleepy

• Nilas ice
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1945 on: March 19, 2018, 05:19:25 PM »
???  We (Swedes) are out of luck.
-

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1946 on: March 20, 2018, 02:00:38 AM »
“Damage has been reported in Cullman, Alabama, after a severe thunderstorm brought hail as large as baseballs. Live storm reports: (link: http://ow.ly/ZWJD30j2EpY )”
https://twitter.com/breakingweather/status/975896047817035776
Image below.

“[7:36 PM CDT] A pair of extremely dangerous tornadic supercells are moving through parts of #ALwx east of Cullman. Both show radar features seen only in the strongest/most dangerous of storms. HD radar imagery: (link: https://weather.us/radar-us/marshall/reflectivity/KHTX_20180320-0028z.html )”
https://twitter.com/WeatherdotUS/status/975894223894478848
Image below.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1947 on: March 20, 2018, 03:17:24 AM »
“Major hail damage on south side of Cullman AL. Hail size 3-4” diameter millions of dollars in damage. Chevrolet car lot almost every vehicle windshield busted and heavy body damage. #alwx @NWSBirmingham ”
https://twitter.com/Jeff_Piotrowski/status/975900926107103233
Hailstone image at the link.

“Looks like the Chevy dealership in Cullman got the worst of the hail.  #alwx ”
https://twitter.com/jed_JC2/status/975907431619420160
Brief video of damaged cars at the link.

Edit:
Tornadoes, severe storms tear through parts of Southeast
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tornadoes-severe-storms-tear-through-parts-of-southeast/
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 03:20:40 PM by Sigmetnow »

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1948 on: March 20, 2018, 03:27:55 AM »
“*World Weather* Another view of the extreme flash flooding in Belo Horizonte, Brazil on March 16! Report: Taxi do Tiano ”
https://twitter.com/severeweatherEU/status/975366313748189184
Video at the link: vehicles riding a rushing river down a city street.

Sleepy

• Nilas ice
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1949 on: March 20, 2018, 08:19:40 AM »
We are still out of luck and probably will be for the rest of this month. Yesterdays headlines are now reality for the Brits.
-