Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: What the Buoys are telling  (Read 943937 times)

Dharma Rupa

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 52
  • Likes Given: 26
Re: What the Buoys are telling
« Reply #1800 on: August 23, 2017, 07:59:16 PM »
thanks, didn't know that,

to extend the question a bit, of course without questioning your reply as such, the ice-shelf that broke of in the antarctic is what then, a floe ?

i know its OT but i hope one more question is allowed since it originated on-topic and is just a side-question to further make use of the correct terms and since we're already at it, if an ice-floe ( thick one of course ) would brake loose and later would be sighted somewhere south of greenland from the bridge of a vessel, would there really be made a difference and that one floe would be called floe while all the bergs around it would be bergs ?

i hope it's not too much asked but i really wanna know once and for all :-)

I think the original objective was to distinguish the very hard very old ice from a glacier from the softer newer sea ice.  An ice shelf is more like a glacier in this regard.

A berg is much less likely to give way to even a steel boat than sea ice of the same size.

magnamentis

« Reply #1801 on: August 23, 2017, 08:13:03 PM »
Really big icebergs that break off ice sheets rather than glaciers are generally called "tabular icebergs", although the largest are sometimes called "ice islands".

great to get the picture finally, very much appreciated both replies @oren's and yours

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
  • Don't Vote NatC or PopCon, Save Lives!
    • View Profile
    • The Arctic sea ice Great White Con
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 87
« Reply #1802 on: August 27, 2017, 06:53:07 PM »
Some wind is rippling the surface of the Northwest Passage.

P.S. Added the next snapshot too:
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 07:21:55 PM by Jim Hunt »
"The most revolutionary thing one can do always is to proclaim loudly what is happening" - Rosa Luxemburg

Coffee Drinker

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 12
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #1803 on: August 29, 2017, 08:24:47 AM »
Buoy 14

Melt ponds start to freeze over?

Andreas T

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #1804 on: August 29, 2017, 11:09:53 PM »
There have been some low air temperatures, but the small pieces of ice are still the result of melting, enlarging brine channels are disintegrating icefloes, something which is usually seen in these late stages of bottom melt.

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1805 on: August 30, 2017, 12:07:22 AM »
The latest update from IMB buoy 2017B:

http://GreatWhiteCon.info/resources/ice-mass-balance-buoys/summer-2017-imb-buoys/#2017B

August 25th is the day before the buoy became "Free Floating":
"The most revolutionary thing one can do always is to proclaim loudly what is happening" - Rosa Luxemburg

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1806 on: August 30, 2017, 12:49:30 AM »
The ripples are back:

uniquorn

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2163
  • Likes Given: 388
« Reply #1807 on: August 30, 2017, 07:32:35 PM »
Maybe the buoy is doing a bit of icebreaking

Rob Dekker

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 120
  • Likes Given: 119
« Reply #1808 on: August 31, 2017, 05:09:36 AM »
Right now there is a fight between bottom melt and top freeze.
Top freeze will win sometime in September, and that will define the minimum.

However, bottom melt is still going on across the Arctic, as witnessed (indirectly) by Warm Buoy 6 (now at  72.76N 147.28W) :

This shows that PAR irradiance that makes it through the ice has tapered off, but is still at some 10 W/m^2. That suggests full irradiance (energy that makes it under the ice) is now running at about 20 W/m^2, which, since most if not all of that goes to bottom-melt, represents about 0.5 cm/day of bottom melt.

With the thin ice floating around in the ice margin, that surely means that ice extent/area will continue to fall until atmospheric temps drop far enough below zero to stop it.

This is our planet. This is our time.
Let's not waste either.

Coffee Drinker

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #1809 on: September 03, 2017, 03:52:52 AM »
Look like it has been snowing:

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: September 03, 2017, 08:46:48 AM »
The WARM buoy pushpins have been updated. To my ageing eyes it looks like #6 is now free floating:

magnamentis

« Reply #1811 on: September 03, 2017, 09:24:55 PM »
Look like it has been snowing:

true that ;)

when looking towards horizon in the pics taken by this buoy it often looks like a lot of open water while at least one side of the buys is heavily surrounded by persisting ice, the thought crossed my mind that the buoy may have it's own freezer on board ;) :)

just to make sure, i hope that everyone got it that i'm just kidding ;)

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3584
  • Likes Given: 3922
« Reply #1812 on: September 11, 2017, 11:00:51 PM »
A good word for O-buoy 14 - it survived another whole melting season. Maybe it felt it was the last of its breed.
The movie has been updated to Sep 8th. A lot of ice floating around, but there doesn't seem to be much or even any refreezing going on.
http://obuoy.datatransport.org/monitor#buoy14/movie

Apocalypse4Real

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #1813 on: September 15, 2017, 01:40:23 PM »

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1814 on: September 15, 2017, 02:28:09 PM »
US DOD is deploying new Arctic Ocean buoys as announced on Sept 13 2017.

See: https://www.defense.gov/News/Article/Article/1309969/navy-leads-international-effort-to-deploy-buoys-into-the-arctic-ocean/
Does anyone have any links to the data from these buoys?

ghoti

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #1815 on: September 15, 2017, 05:02:59 PM »
They claim the data will be on the IABP site.

http://iabp.apl.washington.edu/maps_daily_table.html

I don't see them listed there yet. I also see that there were many buoys deployed in 2017 that are already dead and dozens from 2016 not reporting.

Andreas T

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1816 on: September 24, 2017, 09:20:32 PM »
As the periods of sufficient sunlight to power the buoy bare getting shorter, we will soon have to say goodbye to OBuoy14 for 6 months. At the moment frost blooms are forming on the ice, which shows that the gaps between ice floes have frozen over. Air temperatures are only -5C which probably means that larger expanses of open water are not freezing yet.
Lets hope the frost starting to form on the camera is not covering up the lens too soon.
The sentinel shot is from the 22nd but probably gives a fair impression of the amount of ice surrounding the buoy location at pressent.

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1817 on: October 03, 2017, 05:04:57 PM »
It's starting to look decidedly wintry around O-Buoy 14:

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1818 on: October 03, 2017, 06:23:05 PM »
It's starting to look decidedly wintry around O-Buoy 14:
A couple of days ago I noticed the area to the left has finally frozen solid but was rather thin. Now it's covered by snow. I wonder what this will do to winter thickening.

Andreas T

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1819 on: October 04, 2017, 07:36:47 PM »
This recent image serves as a reminder that snow is drifting quite a lot on the ice which must make it quite difficult to quantify what effect snowfall has. Thicker than average drifts alternating with thin patches.
The sentinel image from the 28th shows that floes are still moving and rotating, I would expect wind direction to have been quite uniform when those drifts were formed. Snow blowing onto the sea surface could have helped starting ice cover to form.

echoughton

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 21
  • Likes Given: 82
« Reply #1820 on: October 04, 2017, 08:03:32 PM »
Looking at that snow from the #14, We Haven't heard a whole lot of discussion on the impact of heavier snow in Greenland last year...and throughout the entire Arctic region as temps increase, allowing more precipitation. This could have wonderful effects on ice, and has certainly demonstrated positive SMB on Greenland during the last melt season. If big snows add to mass on Greenland they certainly can to ice above 80N. It adds tremendous insulation. Might have certainly helped avoid bigger sea ice losses last year too.

Eli81

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #1821 on: October 14, 2017, 02:31:44 PM »
It's going to be a long, dark winter.... :(

Here's to hoping our favorite buoy flickers to life come Spring 2018...

woodstea

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #1822 on: October 16, 2017, 07:08:28 PM »
It's going to be a long, dark winter.... :(

Here's to hoping our favorite buoy flickers to life come Spring 2018...

I'll continue to hope that all winter, but I'm feeling pessimistic. Oct. 3 is pretty early for a last picture of the season from O-Buoy 14. Last year we had some from November, though the battery situation may have been different at that time. If it wakes up again next spring I think I'm going to have to throw a party to celebrate.

josh-j

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 34
  • Likes Given: 102
« Reply #1823 on: October 17, 2017, 04:43:36 PM »
I'll continue to hope that all winter, but I'm feeling pessimistic. Oct. 3 is pretty early for a last picture of the season from O-Buoy 14. Last year we had some from November, though the battery situation may have been different at that time. If it wakes up again next spring I think I'm going to have to throw a party to celebrate.

The batteries are not really holding much charge now given that the buoy was turning off regularly in the dark as winter has drawn in, so I'm optimistic that the early loss of images is due to the batteries only.

The question is what happens to the rest of the hardware in the long cold I suppose! Fingers crossed.

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
« Reply #1824 on: October 17, 2017, 06:57:22 PM »
"Fingers crossed."

And mitten-ed, I hope!  :)
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

A-Team

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 944
  • Likes Given: 35
« Reply #1825 on: October 17, 2017, 08:57:41 PM »
Sounds good but when and how many?

AGU17 C21B-1120: Autonomous Ice Mass Balance Buoys for Seasonal Sea Ice
JD Whitlock et al
https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm17/meetingapp.cgi/SearchResults/0 abstract search tool

The ice mass-balance represents the integration of all surface and ocean heat fluxes and attributing the impact of these forcing fluxes on the ice cover can be accomplished by increasing temporal and spatial measurements. Mass balance information can be used to understand the ongoing changes in the Arctic sea ice cover and to improve predictions of future ice conditions.

Thinner seasonal ice in the Arctic necessitates the deployment of Autonomous Ice Mass Balance buoys (IMB’s) capable of long-term in situ data collection in both ice and open ocean. Seasonal IMB’s (SIMB’s) are free floating IMB’s that allow data collection in thick ice, thin ice, during times of transition, and even open water.

The newest generation of SIMB aims to increase the number of reliable IMB’s in the Arctic by leveraging inexpensive commercial-grade instrumentation when combined with specially developed monitoring hardware. Monitoring tasks are handled by a custom, expandable data logger that provides low-cost flexibility for integrating a large range of instrumentation.

The SIMB features ultrasonic sensors for direct measurement of both snow depth and ice thickness and a digital temperature chain (DTC) for temperature measurements every 2cm through both snow and ice. Air temperature and pressure, along with GPS data complete the Arctic picture. Additionally, the new SIMB is more compact to maximize deployment opportunities from multiple types of platforms.

Brigantine

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 104
  • Likes Given: 345
« Reply #1826 on: December 01, 2017, 11:39:46 PM »
Something odd at ITP108. Over about the last week, especially the last 2 days, there seems to be about 0.5m of fresh water added to the mixed layer.

Not sure this can really explain it, but it looks like there was a snow event there on Nov 23 (day 327), since which the mixed layer temperature increased ~0.04K (measured at 8m depth).

It has also been drifting SW into the Beaufort Gyre at ~20cm/s, so moving through spacial variation is static water is IMO a better explanation. It has to be a localized feature though to change so much over a short distance.
(Mercator Ocean shows current of maybe 4cm/s to the east, salinity gradient on Mercator & HYCOM is approx 0.4PSU/deg NE-SW but the absolute value is 1.5PSU too high)

By numbers: ~30m MLD, from ~29.1PSU (composite plot) to 28.63PSU (last profile min), from -1.60C (contour) to -1.56 (last profile min). (freezing point increased ~0.026C between these salinities though, so just noise?). Top ~20m of the pacific layer visually (contour & composite plots) seems to be fresher too - to a lesser degree.

Brigantine

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1827 on: December 08, 2017, 01:38:05 AM »
Well disregard that... since then, the salinity sensor on ITP108 has gone completely crazy. So the values from last week are probably unreliable too.

Hyperion

• Frazil ice
  • Admiral Franklin of the McGillicuddy Highland Navy
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 127
  • Likes Given: 64
« Reply #1828 on: December 10, 2017, 08:47:33 PM »
Well disregard that... since then, the salinity sensor on ITP108 has gone completely crazy. So the values from last week are probably unreliable too.

Oh grasshopper. You so quick to blame the weapon holding you are. ::)

Since its also showing solidly on the dissolved oxygen chart, then its quite possible that spotted one of Veli's giant beavers you have.

See at peak summer flood rivers like the Lena in Siberia and the McKenzie in Alaska carry so much sediment, that though their waters are fresh they are quite dense. So these waters travel at depth for months far out into the polar basin before the dirt sinks and the fresh water rises to the surface.

The deep Arctic waters have been described as like a pile of thousands of slugs slowly crawling around the basin, some dropping from the surface due to high salinity or sediment/dead plankton loadings, some crawling out of the bowl into the nth Atlantic. Some slugs are hypersaline due to now defunct brinacle downwellings from the bottoms of thick and very chill iceshelves. Some of these if say 40psu must be heated by geothermal forces to 50-60C to rise into range of these Buoys. Which may be what happened back at day 315-320 when at 650m an anomaly of over 40 PSU, over 15C, low DO cropped up with vertical disturbances in the water column apparent also.

Waters of differing Salinity and temperature do not mix very easily. 8)

edit: Oops. Attached the Wrong Temp-Salinity plot. Since Nevens still Moderating my posts I can't see my attachments until a few days have passed and he gets around to approving them. Or I would have spotted it. Fixed now.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 08:00:19 PM by Hyperion »
Policy: The diversion of NZ aluminum production to build giant space-mirrors to melt the icecaps and destroy the foolish greed-worshiping cities of man. Thereby returning man to the sea, which he should never have left in the first place.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McGillicuddy_Serious_Party

ghoti

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1829 on: January 15, 2018, 07:20:36 PM »
Not sure if this should go in the buoys thread since the data is from permanent moorings.

http://www.bio.gc.ca/science/newtech-technouvelles/observatory-observatoire-en.php#recent

DFO has real-time monitoring of the Barrow Strait and it appears that the data is now available for us to see. Temperature and salinity and current data seem pretty mundane and standard.

The ice thickness data is interesting though. Not what I expected. Seems like huge variation within short time periods. That has to be a result of the flow of ice through the strait on the current.

I really wonder how this compares with what PIOMAS suggests is there.

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1830 on: January 16, 2018, 12:20:19 AM »
DFO has real-time monitoring of the Barrow Strait

Thanks for the heads up. I've never seen that before!

Do you suppose that the web page is new even though the mooring has been there a long time?

ghoti

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1831 on: January 16, 2018, 12:54:46 AM »
Do you suppose that the web page is new even though the mooring has been there a long time?
Tough to say for sure. The page describing the moorings project shows an update date in 2015 and there are publications about it (but paywalled so I can't see if it mentions a website). The page with the data was up since at least November 2017.

I only discovered it because DFO tweeted a link to it. That makes me think the data on the web is new.

As an interesting aside they are using the underwater communication method that I think Andreas Muenchow was researching (refining?) this past summer. Also for a few years there have been occasional press stories  about people hearing strange pinging  noises emanating from the CAA straits. Mystery solved?

Brigantine

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1832 on: February 28, 2018, 07:08:11 AM »
ITP 95 north of Svalbard stopped providing useful data mid-December, and has since left the area and joined the East Greenland current...

But now, ARGO Float 6902729 is approaching that area. Currently ~20km shy of the 80th parallel and drifting ~NNW. MLD ~550m, Salinity ~35.05 PSU, Temperature ~4.0C. Deepest reading ~850m

Much spicier than the data from ITP 95 across the whole depth range... but it's not entirely comparable as it's ~400km further south and hasn't encountered ice yet.

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
« Reply #1833 on: February 28, 2018, 02:53:49 PM »
O-Buoy 14 came back to life on February 13, 2017 (a year ago).  It is further south than it was then, but apparently no signal yet.  Think it died?
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

Brigantine

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1834 on: February 28, 2018, 08:36:34 PM »
Yeah, I was looking at that. It also went to sleep over a month earlier this winter than last winter.

I wouldn't be too surprised if it wakes up much later in the spring, but history is against it.

Eli81

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #1835 on: March 02, 2018, 02:35:19 AM »
Yeah, I've been checking several times a day for life since mid February... It's not looking good.. :( Admittedly, I don't know what the weather has been like at its location; up until a week ago I'd just been hoping it was extra cloudy this year...

Seems very possible that it's early abrupt silence at the beginning of October 2017 was more than just running out of light..

Very sad.. but I guess getting a 3rd year when the 2nd was an anomaly was indeed a lot to ask for. 

FishOutofWater

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 696
  • Likes Given: 332
« Reply #1836 on: March 04, 2018, 03:21:54 AM »
Notice that the Barrow Strait water has become much less stratified over the last 3 months. Mixing may be taking place now. The temperatures at all levels measured have converged to the same point.

Brigantine

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1837 on: March 14, 2018, 09:42:40 PM »
The densities haven't converged, (completely), so I don't think we're looking at mixing.
(at least not one large mixed layer. Perhaps partial mixing from a storm or something)

What about a change in flow direction? Any info on currents and where that water is coming from? The winds at the end of Feb were easterly, when westerlies are predominant?
Could ice formation and export cause that large of a salinity increase in that depth of water?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 09:56:01 PM by Brigantine »

Tony Mcleod

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 25
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #1838 on: March 15, 2018, 03:40:59 AM »
OT, but does anyone know whether Barrow straight freezes solid during an ice age? Just curious if Bering freezes too thus reducing the Arctic basin inflow/outflow

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1839 on: March 15, 2018, 07:15:16 AM »
OT, but does anyone know whether Barrow straight freezes solid during an ice age? Just curious if Bering freezes too thus reducing the Arctic basin inflow/outflow
Better to ask this in the questions thread, but Bering Strait becomes land during ice ages, as sea level drops by ~120m and the strait is 53m deep. It was actually not glaciated due to lack of snowfall.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beringia

Alexander555

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 185
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #1840 on: March 23, 2018, 07:26:48 PM »
I have no idea if the data is available.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-018-02113-y

Brigantine

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1841 on: March 23, 2018, 09:26:31 PM »
In the Subpolar Gyre at 57.646N 53.839W, Argo Float 4902396 has recorded a mixed layer depth exceeding 2000m (the deepest it can go - though the higher salinity layer is likely hiding just barely below that)

Salinity ~34.85 PSU over the whole 2000m depth, temperature is colder at the surface at ~3.1C increasing to ~3.2C at 2000m

(Timestamp: 2018-03-23 0900.)

« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 10:20:30 PM by Brigantine »

Dharma Rupa

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1842 on: March 23, 2018, 11:55:29 PM »
In the Subpolar Gyre at 57.646N 53.839W, Argo Float 4902396 has recorded a mixed layer depth exceeding 2000m (the deepest it can go - though the higher salinity layer is likely hiding just barely below that)
Any chance you can get a second Float to confirm that?  This is just about where I think the Gulf Stream would switch to, and I don't want to go off half-cocked.

Brigantine

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1843 on: March 25, 2018, 12:22:04 AM »
It depends what you mean by "that".

USGODAE Argo Data Viewer page
(pre-loaded to search in this smallish area for profiles in the last 3 weeks)

click "go"
scroll down to the list of profiles
click "profile preview"

Note this is not the case in the whole SPG, just a small area ~100NM x 200NM. Other areas in the SPG have a shallow fresher slightly colder layer on top.
Mostly it only goes to ~1800m depth and then there's a salty layer, only two profiles from two different floats show constant density to 2000m+: R4901747_175 and R4902396_017.
Only the one profile shows constant spiciness to 2000m+ as well (suggesting actual deep mixing), but others show this to ~1800m.

I see the ex-gulf stream water you're talking about creeping up just off the continental shelf, and the sea surface height gradient leading directly to the area of these Argo profiles. But as I understand it (not an expert) the sea surface height is lower precisely because the water is denser there. The 0 dbar surface has a gradient, but below a certain depth the equal pressure surface has a gradient the opposite way. The place where most Atlantic water enters the SPG is over the mid atlantic ridge SW of Iceland where the ocean is less than 1000m deep so that deep gradient has no influence. (there's also the Coriolis force hence the gyre and energy needs to dissipate for that SSH bowl to fill up)

That said, that spot of ex-gulf stream water is right over the deepest part at 4000m, and I don't know much about what's going on below 2000m i.e. half of the water column at that spot. I've seen some rare deep Argo profiles in the SPG which show the water decreasing to ~2C and becoming slightly fresher towards the sea floor, but I don't know how it compares with atlantic deep water (I just assume there would be negligible difference) and I don't know how to filter for just deep profiles.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 12:35:02 AM by Brigantine »

FishOutofWater

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1844 on: March 25, 2018, 03:12:47 AM »
Mercator Ocean has a cross section based on buoys in the Labrador sea. There has been deep convection breaking through the Atlantic water layer at 1000m down to the level of very cold overflow water from the Nordic seas at about 2000m. There appears to have been mixing below that boundary near the west coast of Greenland.

Dharma Rupa

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1845 on: March 25, 2018, 03:16:30 PM »
Thanks, I think.  Now I have to wonder how to interpret the data.

A-Team

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 944
  • Likes Given: 35
« Reply #1846 on: March 25, 2018, 05:15:43 PM »
As noted earlier, a giant floe came down Byam Martin and got stuck above Lowther Island in the Barrow Strait. Animating either WorldView VIIRS or Ascat, you can watch the ice repeatedly peel back to Griffith Island, then re-form as the air is still very cold. This and loss of the Banks Island cork to the Arctic basin may result an early export passage of Arctic Ocean ice.

Baffin Bay is really sending a lot of ice south, both from Lancaster Sound and Nares ice (plus whatever new ice forms in situ). The average displacement is something like 7.7 km per day but it has been very consistent with the prevailing weather pattern.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 05:31:19 PM by A-Team »

FishOutofWater

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1847 on: March 25, 2018, 05:35:22 PM »
Deep mixing happens on the margins of the gyre either near the ice edge on the North American side or near the coast of Greenland. It happens in mid to late winter after the water in the whole gyre has been chilled and water in the upper ocean has been pretty well mixed. Obviously, there are inflows of very cold fresh water from the Arctic down the coast of north America and inflows of warm salty water that wrap around the coast of Greenland that add complexity. There are many eddies within the gyre that spin into deeper water as convection cranks up. There are always eddies in the gyre but they don't penetrate the relatively warm salty dense Mediterranean overflow water layer at 1000m until there's very strong convection in mid-winter. in years like 2010 when the Gulf Stream slowed, the Med water layer was not penetrated all winter.

In other words, this is good news for Europe. You're not going into the deep freeze any time soon because the Gulf Stream is chugging along and deep water formation has been active this winter.

For sea ice it means that modified Gulf Stream water will continue to flow into the Arctic from the Atlantic and cold water exported through the Labrador sea will continue to flow into the Atlantic basin by means of the Labrador current.

The cross section shows a lack of deep mixing up to the first of February. There are clearly fresh water layers floating over salty layers. We know from the temperature profiles that those were warm salty layers and cold fresh layers. It took multiple intense cold storms that took place after the sudden stratospheric warming in mid-February to get the mixing going and break up the stratification. The SSW caused a rapid increase in the momentum of the polar jet stream by transferring momentum down from the stratospheric polar night jet. That brought on the spate of very stormy weather from California to western Europe.

Salinity cross sections for March show very active mixing in the first ten days of the month.

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1848 on: March 29, 2018, 05:06:54 PM »
For buoy watchers everywhere, some news just in from Don Perovich:

We developed the next generation of our seasonal ice mass balance buoy and are deploying them. The new buoys have a number of improvements including a customized controller board. They also have a new format for the datastream, which means rewriting our data processing software. The plan is to finish the software revisions by June, so that the web site automatically gets updated.

We do have some deployment plans for this year.

1.       Beaufort Sea – deployed last week.

2.       Just north of Prudhoe Bay – deployed on Monday

3.       Two deployed in Beaufort Sea in conjunction with WARM buoy – to be deployed later this week.

4.       Three in Eastern Arctic – to be deployed in September

5.       Two in Beaufort Sea – to be deployed in September.

No mention of anything anywhere near the North Pole this year however.

slow wing

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 155
  • Likes Given: 546
« Reply #1849 on: March 30, 2018, 02:56:00 AM »
Excellent! Thanks for the update Jim & thanks to those participating in this program.