Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Arctic Newsfeed - No comments  (Read 1637 times)

Freegrass

• Young ice
  • Autodidacticism is a complicated word
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 955
  • Likes Given: 1260
Arctic Newsfeed - No comments
« on: August 27, 2020, 06:11:15 PM »
I came across this article in a thread which taught me a lot about what's going on in the arctic. I don't read every thread, so I could have missed it. That's why I think there's a need for this thread. Let it be a newsfeed to post important news articles about the arctic. Without comments! Because then the articles would just get lost into a lot of comments.

Just the news that matters!

Arctic ocean moorings shed light on winter sea ice loss

Original post and discussion
« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 05:47:48 PM by oren »
90% of the world is religious, but somehow "love thy neighbour" became "fuck thy neighbours", if they don't agree with your point of view.

WTF happened?

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2051
  • Likes Given: 1988
Re: Must Read Article Collection Without Comments - Newsfeed
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2020, 07:02:38 PM »
So then this would be a thread of duplicates. If you add the thread where they are from people could get context.

Then people have different backgrounds so what is interesting to one person is not interesting for another.

I propose a different method:
Make documents where you collect interesting links. Post them when appropriate.

Since there are so many stickied threads already in this subforum and a whole bunch of interesting ones below we really don´t need another thread which is not directly related to things happening in the Arctic.
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
Re: Must Read Article Collection Without Comments - Newsfeed
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2020, 07:22:32 PM »
So then this would be a thread of duplicates. If you add the thread where they are from people could get context.
I like that idea. It would be duplicates, and so it would be easy to add a link that points towards the thread where the article was originally posted and discussed. That would give people a chance to comment in the appropriate thread, and others would be able to go through the newsfeed to read the articles they are interested in without sifting through all the comments.

Win-Win...
90% of the world is religious, but somehow "love thy neighbour" became "fuck thy neighbours", if they don't agree with your point of view.

WTF happened?

igs

Re: Newsfeed - Must Read Article Collection Without Comments
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2020, 07:35:55 PM »
I removed my post since everyone seems to be happy as proposed it makes little sense to brake lose further discussions, also perhaps I didn't get the full meaning, hence my reply was kind of inappropriate as well.

Hope it' ok     ;)

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2020, 07:41:11 PM »
I removed my post since everyone seems to be happy as proposed it makes little sense to brake lose further discussions, also perhaps I didn't get the full meaning, hence my reply was kind of inappropriate as well.

Hope it' ok     ;)
NO! I liked your post. You said I had a good idea...  ::)
It's up to the moderators to decide if this is a good idea. I leave it up to them now...
Me personally, I would love to see a clean newsfeed on ASIF. That would make it easy to stay up to date...

WTF happened?

igs

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2020, 07:45:58 PM »

Hope it' ok     ;)
NO! I liked your post. You said I had a good idea...  ::)
It's up to the moderators to decide if this is a good idea. I leave it up to them now...
M personally, I would love to see a clean newsfeed here. That would make it easy to stay up to date...

I "like-buttoned your post additionally" basically I wanted to compliment your post even before kassy's reply but then, since you thought to keep the tread absolutely clean i refrained from it at first.

a) both ideas make sense

b) should not be moderated, your idea and no damage done if it remains your sole choice IMO

Have a great remainder of the day however

:)

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
Newsfeed - No comments
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2020, 07:48:52 PM »
Let's do it like this...

Arctic ocean moorings shed light on winter sea ice loss

The eastern Arctic Ocean's winter ice grew less than half as much as normal during the past decade, due to the growing influence of heat from the ocean's interior, researchers have found.

Original post and discussion
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 08:38:15 PM by Freegrass »

WTF happened?

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3589
  • Likes Given: 3940
Re: Arctic Newsfeed - No comments
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2020, 05:50:03 PM »
Changed the subject to Arctic Newsfeed. Let's see what kind of content gets posted and how it develops. Maybe it will move to the Arctic Background subsection.

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3589
  • Likes Given: 3940
Re: Arctic Newsfeed - No comments
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2020, 05:55:40 PM »
Cross-posting from the chatter thread, seems like a very good video.

Not sure what thread to put this on, its a pretty interesting lecture on the thermodynamics of sea ice:

One of the silver linings of the pandemic is a huge surge in online scientific conferences.