Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: But Saving Energy Means I'll Suffffffeeeerrrr....  (Read 3578 times)

Bob Wallace

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 41
  • Likes Given: 5
But Saving Energy Means I'll Suffffffeeeerrrr....
« on: May 26, 2013, 10:29:17 PM »
Everyone knows that replacing your old appliance with a new, more efficient model will save you money on your utility bills,” said Steven Nadel, ACEEE executive director. “What this report shows is that consumers haven’t had to sacrifice good performance or new features in exchange for improved efficiency.”

“Many of us tend to be nostalgic about the past, but what this report shows is that your parents’ appliances not only cost more to run, but probably didn’t perform as well either,” said Andrew deLaski, ASAP executive director.

National efficiency standards for appliances, equipment, and lighting products have delivered big savings for consumers. The report found that a household with six products (refrigerator, clothes washer & dryer, dishwasher, central air conditioner, and toilets) that just meet the current efficiency standards will save $360 on annual utility bills compared to a household with the same products purchased 20 years ago.

ACEEE and ASAP analyzed how the choices available to consumers have changed over time as efficiency standards have taken effect for ten residential and commercial products.

The report compared the performance, features, and price of products available before and after each standard was implemented.

The report found that product performance generally stayed the same or improved as efficiency standards took effect. Refrigerator temperature performance has improved and noise levels have dropped over time.

Manufacturers have maintained good dishwasher performance even as energy and water use have decreased substantially. And incandescent light bulbs that meet new efficiency standards provide the same light output, lifetime, color quality, and dimmability as bulbs that were available before standards took effect.

“Overall, efficiency standards have been a win-win for consumers,” said Mel Hall-Crawford, energy projects director at Consumer Federation of America.

“Improved efficiency has added up to consumer pocketbook savings, and at the same time, consumers are getting products that deliver equal or better performance.”

http://cleantechnica.com/2013/05/26/new-appliances-more-efficient-better-bunch-of-new-features/#y0iUvpUQuAeL176t.99] [url]http://cleantechnica.com/2013/05/26/new-appliances-more-efficient-better-bunch-of-new-features/#y0iUvpUQuAeL176t.99[/url]

Efficiency means not only that people save money, more importantly it means that more of the renewable generation we install can go toward shutting down coal.  And then natural gas.

Tom_Mazanec

Re: But Saving Energy Means I'll Suffffffeeeerrrr....
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2019, 11:50:24 PM »
One important part of keeping cool isn't necessarily about increasing the use of air conditioners, but to make air conditioners as efficient as possible. As it stands, they are extremely inefficient, as are our buildings.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/climate-change-cooling-1.5244077

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2019, 11:04:32 AM »
One important part of keeping cool isn't necessarily about increasing the use of air conditioners, but to make air conditioners as efficient as possible. As it stands, they are extremely inefficient, as are our buildings.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/climate-change-cooling-1.5244077
Sorry Tom, but the link is nothing but clickbait. The one factoid they offer up is an opinion that many AC units are oversized. An AC for your residence will last 20 years  - 30 years with service. A unit that may be slightly oversized today is liable to be woefully undersized in 20 to 30 years.

The other thing featured is a water phase change AC. Wonderful futuristic idea for large to very large buildings - perhaps. Making ice adds a level of complexity and inefficiency to an already complex system.

Make sure that your electricity is at the rated voltage on the hottest summer days, make sure you're using the best filters you can reasonably afford, and that the filters are new or clean going into hot weather.

Oh, and don't buy your AC from a big box store!
Terry

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1012
  • Likes Given: 1034
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2019, 11:14:26 AM »
As Tom says .. he only skims arcticles , makes up a headline .. and posts . I have given up opening any of his offerings as the proportion of advertising to information is often overwhelming . Last time I opened one Google stopped responding . b.c.
Conflict is the root of all evil , for being blind it does not see whom it attacks . Yet it always attacks the Son Of God , and the Son of God is you .

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2019, 12:10:51 PM »
As Tom says .. he only skims arcticles , makes up a headline .. and posts . I have given up opening any of his offerings as the proportion of advertising to information is often overwhelming . Last time I opened one Google stopped responding . b.c.
If your version of google shys away from ads, I'll trade you for a slightly used copy of Duck Duck Go with no known biases. :)
Terry

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2019, 03:22:38 PM »
Is Daily Climate clickbait? This is where I get the majority of my articles.

SteveMDFP

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 583
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2019, 03:46:05 PM »

In an attempt at constructive criticism....
Most of the links you post seem to point to articles in the popular press.  For a science-based forum, such articles are commonly useless.

When you find an interesting article in the popular press, they're often over-simplifications of actual research papers.  Rather than supplying a link to the popular press, it would be more useful to dig up the actual article, read it, and *then* decide whether it merits posting to the forum.

Also, it would be helpful, when posting a link, to provide just a little more of a summary as to why the item may be of interest here.

I hope this is helpful.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2019, 03:56:21 PM »
No idea Tom - why not post their address, then you'd have more time to peruse the internet for your own enlightenment.

I think it's important that we share articles that we find important or new, but I'm not entirely sure of your motivation.

If Daily Climate is a good site, why not give them a boost by directing us to them?
Neven's original site was peopled by posters offering and arguing various theories re. the melting Arctic Ice, links were provided to backup or embellish their theories.
Many here still follow that tradition.

There are a number of very good aggregators on the internet that publish pages of articles on every and any given topic. They're an important part of the mix for any student - but so are Neven's pages.
I'm just unsure that mixing the two concepts is the best use of digital ink, or my time.

Please don't take this as criticism.
It's one man's opinion who has become rather set in his ways,

Getting old will do that. ??? 
Terry
Edit] Cross posted with Steves and perhaps he expressed it better than I

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3584
  • Likes Given: 3922
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2019, 04:12:20 PM »
I usually just read Tom's headlines and skip clicking into the articles. I find it useful as a broad-brush way to keep in touch with the world, though we are commonly used here to people quoting the important pieces or the summary of articles.

Bruce Steele

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 744
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2019, 04:29:47 PM »
I very much appreciate some comment about a posted link by whoever posts it. AbruptSLR finds the time to comment even with the volume of information he links. After awhile you get to know the various personalities posting on the ASIF and whose posts are important to follow. Who knows their stuff and who you'd just as soon ignor.
Without comment I usually ignor. I also like to watch people's politics and I am much more inclined to pay attention to the politics of obviously brilliant minds. If you never expose your thoughts or politics you might as well be a bot.

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2019, 04:49:37 PM »
Well, that is fine.
I used to paste the article on another site but got called out for copyright violations. If you want more science I will try to accommodate.

Oh, BTW:
https://www.dailyclimate.org/

SteveMDFP

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 583
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2019, 05:16:44 PM »
Well, that is fine.
I used to paste the article on another site but got called out for copyright violations. If you want more science I will try to accommodate.

Rarely, if ever, will posting an abstract be an issue with a copyright holder.  Wide dissemination of abstracts is part of the business model of the for-profit publishers.

But to accommodate busy forum users, entire abstracts are usually overkill.  A couple of pertinent sentences usually will suffice.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2019, 06:41:49 PM »
Well, that is fine.

Oh, BTW:
https://www.dailyclimate.org/
Thanks for the link Tom, I'll take a peek when I get a chance.

There must be something that grabs your attention. Something that you'd like to share, or ask about, or get feedback on?
If it's anywhere close to the focus of the forum you can bet that someone else will find it of interest, or not.

If you've a question about the ocean or fishing, you might be amazed by the depth, (yea it was) of Bruce's knowledge. Sig will more than willingly explain why you need a Tesla ::)  Neven's the best coach you ever had, & sigg (if he ever returns) will explain in detail why we just can't keep stealing from the poor without the poor getting pissed. And these are just discussions that are to be had down here beneath the line.

It's a wonderful community & one that will welcome you once they learn who you are. Either that or they'll tell you where to get off.

You've told me a little of your life by PM, but I don't do PM.
Open up a little and I think you'll find us a caring community, with a few very knowledgeable individuals that can answer some of your questions with authority. If we don't know what interests you, we won't know how to respond.

Now if you'll turn to pg, 58 in your Hymnal ...
Terry