Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Global Prohibition on All New Fossil Fuel Infrastructure from 2022 Onward!  (Read 1119 times)

jai mitchell

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 208
  • Likes Given: 60
Haiku of Futures Passed
My "burning embers"
are not tri-color bar graphs
+3C today

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2051
  • Likes Given: 1988
It´s mostly an advice is it not?

Hopefully this will influence investors. In general i am quite surprised that they came out that strong. Not the voice of the industry....

Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

interstitial

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 574
  • Likes Given: 96
I do not think anyone expects this to be done but it does turn the conversation more towards reality and away from a few token efforts.

ethelbertmagnus

• NewMembers
  • New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
It is a great idea but very difficult to implement because fossil fuels are an integral part of human life. Hope to have more useful contributions to change the type of resource being used.

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2051
  • Likes Given: 1988
Well we used too much already. Not sure what you meant with that second line.
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

NeilT

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 387
  • Likes Given: 22
To me it 8s a simple recognition that we now have the capability to transition away from fossil fuels, the thing lacking is the driver.

Putting a block on new fossil fuel, or at least forcing clear justification for not deploying carbon free technology, is a way of forcing the change. 20 years ago with the industry still experimenting, it would have been a disaster.  Today it would force the kind of production ramp needed.

Do I think it will happen?

No.
Being right too soon is socially unacceptable.

Robert A. Heinlein

interstitial

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 574
  • Likes Given: 96
To me it 8s a simple recognition that we now have the capability to transition away from fossil fuels, the thing lacking is the driver.

Putting a block on new fossil fuel, or at least forcing clear justification for not deploying carbon free technology, is a way of forcing the change. 20 years ago with the industry still experimenting, it would have been a disaster.  Today it would force the kind of production ramp needed.

Do I think it will happen?

No.
I do not think a ban was the point. A ban would be great but it won't happen yet. I think the point was to encourage more people to question every single project. Given how strongly the oil industry reacted complaining about it causing a future supply crunch it was the right move. Most people now accept the problem but many still accept the next fossil fuel project as necessary in the interim. They said what is still shocking to many which is the next fossil fuel project is unnecessary and wasteful. It would have been better if we pushed harder in the past but that is a mostly pointless discussion. Too many projections say things like electric cars will reach 70% of market share by 2040. That is the oil industry fighting back saying hey we will be around for a long time. I am hoping and expecting it to be at least that be 2030.