Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: The Iceberg Milkyway in the North  (Read 1765 times)

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 420
  • Likes Given: 4
The Iceberg Milkyway in the North
« on: August 27, 2021, 12:05:21 PM »
I have studied this area for a while now, because I was curious about why the sea ice east of Nordostrundingen (The most northern part of East Greenland) was stuck there considering the strong currents etc.
During this period I even thought I found a new island, but I now believe it is an iceberg.
The seabed must be very shallow in most of the area since all these icebergs are "stranded" there, there is not much facts about the area not even from danish authorities.

The distance from Nordostrundingen to some of the "stranded" icebergs is up to 40 km from the coast.

I have made an animation, showing some of the "stranded" icebergs (RED ARROWS), but there are a lot more, see how many you can find?

Please click on image to enlarge and animate!
Have a ice day!

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5289
  • Likes Given: 69
Re: The Iceberg Milkyway in the North
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2021, 05:50:36 PM »
Maybe some of this stuff will be new to you (or maybe not). But here we are anyway.

A new bathymetry map of the NE Greenland area was produced in 2015 as described in
"A new bathymetry of the Northeast Greenland continental shelf: Constraints on glacial and other processes" https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/2015GC005931

I attach the map. And yes, the area you are looking at is very shallow.

Although this article says the shallow areas between the troughs off NE Greenland have no names - they do have names as described in this article... https://www.climate-policy-watcher.org/fresh-water/northeast-greenland.html

And your icebergs are stuck on Ob Bank. (see second map attached)

It seems that Ob Bank has some importance - the article has this paragraph...

The major oceanographic feature of the region is the East Greenland Current (EGC), which carries ice and freshwater out of the Arctic through Fram Strait. It runs along the shelf break roughly over the 2,000 m contour but the shelf region is largely protected from its direct influence, particularly by Ob Bank in the north.

I am glad you posted about this - it is fascinating to try and find out what nuggets are hiding in the dusty nooks and crannies of cyberspace.

"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

anaphylaxia

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 76
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2021, 07:00:03 PM »
WOW, very nice article, my Friday evening is set with this, thanks

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2021, 07:22:41 PM »
A few more
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3584
  • Likes Given: 3922
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2021, 07:27:03 PM »
Amazing, when magnified you can see most of them are stuck. They are easily identifiable in the June image by their shadow, indicating height.

Tealight

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
    • CryosphereComputing
  • Liked: 176
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2021, 07:32:03 PM »
According to the latest NSIDC Bedmachine (2021) the shallowest part is -44m with large areas above -50m. The whole underwater peninsula is less than 100m deep.

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 420
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2021, 12:35:22 AM »
Maybe some of this stuff will be new to you (or maybe not). But here we are anyway.

A new bathymetry map of the NE Greenland area was produced in 2015 as described in
"A new bathymetry of the Northeast Greenland continental shelf: Constraints on glacial and other processes" https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/2015GC005931

I attach the map. And yes, the area you are looking at is very shallow.

Although this article says the shallow areas between the troughs off NE Greenland have no names - they do have names as described in this article... https://www.climate-policy-watcher.org/fresh-water/northeast-greenland.html

And your icebergs are stuck on Ob Bank. (see second map attached)

It seems that Ob Bank has some importance - the article has this paragraph...

The major oceanographic feature of the region is the East Greenland Current (EGC), which carries ice and freshwater out of the Arctic through Fram Strait. It runs along the shelf break roughly over the 2,000 m contour but the shelf region is largely protected from its direct influence, particularly by Ob Bank in the north.

I am glad you posted about this - it is fascinating to try and find out what nuggets are hiding in the dusty nooks and crannies of cyberspace.

Thanks Gerontocrat ,

I was not aware of that material, I was told by Andreas Muenchow about 10 days ago in Copenhagen about OB Banke. So I realized I better check out my suspicion about an undiscovered island in the middle of nowhere off the coast of Nordostrundingen.
Have a ice day!