Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Modified satellite images of Arctic areas  (Read 4379 times)

Pmt111500

Modified satellite images of Arctic areas
« on: June 30, 2013, 09:29:45 AM »
Currently images made by the contributors of this site are spread far and wide so I thought a thread having a title that tells what there is might be a good idea. F.e., on the blog A-team told of the stacking idea Chris Reynolds used on one tile of the arctic mosaic. The thing is there's plenty to do even on one tile, so a central repository of such images might be in order.

Opening this thread with an image that has the upper part from 21/6/2013 and the lower part 29/6/2013 with quite a lot of adjustment on contrast/brightness. The tile is r03c03, resolution 1km/px (any larger would possibly freeze my computer and myself, not to talk of the forum itself)

(tried also the tile r04c03, went back two weeks, and started stacking relatively cloud-free portions of images, about 50% of the area has had a complete cloud cover for the last two weeks... , if anybody wants to have a go be welcome)

Note on the Greenland ice sheet area: the striping pattern on the sheet is possibly due the individual swaths of the instrument (AFAIK, it works a bit similar to a television-camera)

2nd image is a heavy-handed mod of the cloud-band in 04072013 r04c04 250m/px image. Looks like this thread ended before it properly started, but I might use this for some images. Nevermind.

r03c03 again, fractures on Lincoln Sea have progressed. If you have trouble locating the image, it's been turned c.45 degrees (Ellesmere coast left bottom corner) Clouds on Nares entrance block the view, but the next day it was clear and shows that this is about as far as the cracks have progressed thus far

Curious feature off Novaya Sibir Island SE coast 80 km long perpendicular curvy cracks on ice. Earthquake?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 11:33:15 AM by Pmt111500 »

Pmt111500

Re: Modified satellite images of Arctic areas
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 06:15:13 PM »
'Black and white'd section of todays r03c04 at 500m res (from contrast/brightnes-adjusted 250m res image)

Pmt111500

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 06:13:55 AM »
a rare glimpse of nearly cloud-free mesh-pack on CAB (Canadian side) from 21.08.2013 (resolution 1 km/px), tiles r04c03 & r03c03 (Nares entrance top left) (full image would be some 38MB, so not posting it)

(Modified 23.08.2013) as I don't know how to post images to the blog here's a full resolution detail (contrast-brightness adjusted) from ~80km to the pole 23.8.2013. r04c04. This time, tried to be very careful not to lose any detail but haze (be it fog, freezing fog, ice fog, low thin stratus, cirrostratus clouds, mist, haze, possible water vapor influence or mystical substance evenly distributed by fairies). The sripes of undulating clouds (of varying thickness) are one thing, altostratus another, and thick clouds the third thing that I cannot get rid of. Hopefully the 10GHz channel A-team presented at the blog can be used to get clearer images as there's so much stuff floating in the arctic atmosphere it's time comsuming and a bit interpretational to do this this way.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 07:31:34 AM by Pmt111500 »

jdallen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 651
  • Likes Given: 244
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 09:43:39 AM »
Great Job, Pmt;

That area around the pole is really amazing.

Looking at Bremen and Lance-Modis this evening, it looks like huge areas of the pack are disintegrating before our eyes.  I was looking at r05c03 off of the Beaufort, and there are large areas that undoubtedly are showing up as 90+ concentration but in fact appear to be little more than slush floating in a vast raft, containing no visible large floes at all.  Extent and area may still be higher than last year, but I'm still willing to wager volume may drop past it.
This space for Rent.

werther

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 31
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 12:27:51 PM »
Jdallen, my thinking is pretty much parallel.

But since april I’ve become sceptical over how the PIOMAS calculations handle this years melt process. Most of us are aware that the model tends to overestimate thin ice and does the opposite on the thick parts.

To begin with, in my amateur approach I’ve suspected volume at minimum to be hundreds of km3 lower than officially ranked since ’11.
This year, I thought it made sense that volume started out somewhat higher through the cracking event in February and the cold period over the peripheral seas during March-April.
Since then, the volume progression has strayed more and more out of line with the quality aspect, like SIE and SIA.

I think it likely that the known thicknesses on buoyed floes, which are still considerable, will be benchmarking for the near concentration swaths. So it would surprise me if PIOMAS would somehow get in line with the quality aspect and not with SIE/SIA.