Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Arctic Image of the Day  (Read 894118 times)

Rob Dekker

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 120
  • Likes Given: 119
Re: Arctic Image of the Day
« Reply #750 on: September 13, 2016, 07:04:10 AM »
The Polar Ocean Challenge successfully completed their quest to sail the North East Passage and North West Passage in one season.  The North West Passage was completed in an astonishing 14 days due to the fact that it was almost totally ice free.  They encountered ice only twice in their 1800 mile NW Passage part of the voyage.  This highlights an extraordinary loss of sea ice in the Arctic in the 30 years that David Hempleman-Adams has been coming to the area. He said, ‘ whilst we are all delighted to have succeeded, it is extremely worrying to see this lack of ice so starkly ‘ The objective of the expedition was to raise awareness of the change in the fragile climate in the Arctic. They left Lancaster Sound at the end of the NW Passage at 19.18 UTC on 12th September and are headed for Greenland.

Here is one of the last images of ice, in Lancaster Sound, 11th Sept, that the Northabout encountered.

A piece of art, sculpted by the elements.
This is our planet. This is our time.
Let's not waste either.

woodstea

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #751 on: September 15, 2016, 05:25:52 PM »
Almost full moon from O-Buoy 14 in the M'Clure Strait.

jplotinus

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 12
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #752 on: September 18, 2016, 02:32:59 PM »
September 18, 2016
Longyearbyen
Temp 10°

Kate

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 10
  • Likes Given: 133
« Reply #753 on: September 20, 2016, 11:20:00 AM »
Lots and lots of thick smoke

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
  • Don't Vote NatC or PopCon, Save Lives!
    • View Profile
    • The Arctic sea ice Great White Con
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 87
« Reply #754 on: October 02, 2016, 11:56:24 AM »
Pretty patterns in the new ice forming at the western entrance to McClure Strait:

http://GreatWhiteCon.info/2016/09/is-the-northwest-passage-freezing-or-melting/
"The most revolutionary thing one can do always is to proclaim loudly what is happening" - Rosa Luxemburg

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: October 02, 2016, 12:03:25 PM »
One wonders whether the crew of this Chinese flagged vessel gets shore-leave at Port of Barrow Ak?

I thought it looked like the Korean icebreaker Araon:

http://GreatWhiteCon.info/2016/08/crystal-serenity-sets-sail-for-the-northwest-passage/#Aug-24
"The most revolutionary thing one can do always is to proclaim loudly what is happening" - Rosa Luxemburg

Kate

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: October 23, 2016, 09:35:58 AM »
It's a bit chilly to keep the door open, even if it's only the mud room  :o

magnamentis

« Reply #757 on: October 23, 2016, 03:58:38 PM »

they perhaps want a warmer climate up there and try to support warming with a bit of heating energy blowing out for nothing LOL with a prise of seriousness. what a horrible example to permanently leave doors open during the heating season ( probably 12 months up there )

Kate

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: October 24, 2016, 09:41:16 AM »

they perhaps want a warmer climate up there and try to support warming with a bit of heating energy blowing out for nothing LOL with a prise of seriousness. what a horrible example to permanently leave doors open during the heating season ( probably 12 months up there )

It's a hobby of mine to watch Barrow. This guy has his mud door open for about 3/4 of the year ( swear it's true !!! ). I also like to watch the grass grow in Barrow because I think it's a very quick and easy way to see if they're having a sunny, warm year. This year the grass didn't get very green, not because it wasn't warm enough but because of the lack of sunlight. Clouds make a huge difference and you see it not just the ice, but in the grass and wildlife

solartim27

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 42
  • Likes Given: 75
« Reply #759 on: October 25, 2016, 11:50:12 PM »
I am sad to report the death of researcher Gordon Hamilton this weekend in an accident while working in Antarctica.
More information in the above post

Gordon Hamilton with an automated laser scanning system installed to monitor Helheim Glacier, in Southeast Greenland. July 2015.
Credit:  Adam LeWinter
FNORD

Cate

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #760 on: October 26, 2016, 03:31:35 PM »
I am sad to report the death of researcher Gordon Hamilton this weekend in an accident while working in Antarctica.
More information in the above post

Gordon Hamilton with an automated laser scanning system installed to monitor Helheim Glacier, in Southeast Greenland. July 2015.
Credit:  Adam LeWinter

I found it poignant that Dr Hamilton was from Dundee, a city with an outstanding history of polar exploration and exploit. He certainly did that heritage proud.

Here is The Courier, the leading paper in Dundee:
https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/local/dundee/303984/dundee-born-antarctic-scientist-dies-plunging-crevasse/

timbucks

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: November 18, 2016, 12:41:48 PM »
I've been reading this forum (in lurk mode) for a long time, but only registered today.  I'd just downloaded PhotoScan on my phone and pulled out some old photos and I came across this one of me standing on ice floes at Prudhoe Bay in Alaska (I think the date is around June 25th in either 1997 or 1998) - it's hard to tell from Worldview but would there still have been ice that close to shore in June 2016?

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3584
  • Likes Given: 3922
« Reply #762 on: November 18, 2016, 01:22:36 PM »
I've been reading this forum (in lurk mode) for a long time, but only registered today.  I'd just downloaded PhotoScan on my phone and pulled out some old photos and I came across this one of me standing on ice floes at Prudhoe Bay in Alaska (I think the date is around June 25th in either 1997 or 1998) - it's hard to tell from Worldview but would there still have been ice that close to shore in June 2016?
Welcome timbucks. great photo!

Cate

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: November 22, 2016, 03:16:59 AM »
Not my shot, and I foolishly neglected to note the source. Can anyone ID place, photographer?

slow wing

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 155
  • Likes Given: 546
« Reply #764 on: November 22, 2016, 06:32:40 AM »
Nice image, Cate!

It was taken by Patty Waymire and published in a National Geographic feature on climate change:
http://yourshot.nationalgeographic.com/stories/climate-change-focus/

"A solitary bear sits on the edge of one of the Barter Islands."

Barter Island (singular, according to Wikipedia) is on the Arctic Coast of Alaska:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barter_Island

Cate

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #765 on: November 22, 2016, 01:09:31 PM »
Thanks so much, slow wing. I knew someone here would know. The ASIF is the living, breathing encyclopedia of the Arctic.  :D

Pmt111500

« Reply #766 on: November 30, 2016, 06:09:54 AM »
Nice photo, Cate.

Here's a slightly mad smiley of 10hPa winds today. I guess these are pretty normal situations when the seasons change, but the news item should be the season change is somewhat late on large areas on NH. (to Stupid Questions section, isn't this the Upper Stratosphere Night Jet forming?)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 06:18:29 AM by Pmt111500 »

FishOutofWater

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 696
  • Likes Given: 332
« Reply #767 on: November 30, 2016, 03:31:59 PM »
This fall the stratosphere has been hammered by both planetary waves #1 and #2. The stratospheric polar vortex split at the end of October and has been displaced from the pole by wave #1 activity for several weeks. I have been watching the stratosphere for several years so I don't know what's normal based on personal observation but papers and web sites by stratospheric experts I have read tell me that this is anything but normal.

The stratosphere has warmed not just at 10 mb but also down to 70mb. -46C at Barrow at 70mb is outrageously hot, especially when you consider the what the potential temperature is. These temperatures are far warmer than the tropics or normal summer temperatures for Barrow at 70mb. This heat is caused by waves breaking into the stratosphere from the troposphere. The slow rising up of warm air from the troposphere to the stratosphere in the tropics over Indonesia produces stratospheric temperatures of negative 80. The lack of sea ice over the Barents and Kara seas is interacting with the atmospheric circulation to displace the stratospheric polar vortex towards Siberia.

Gray-Wolf

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 131
  • Likes Given: 458
« Reply #768 on: December 05, 2016, 12:14:14 PM »
Below is a polar image from Yesterday from 'Wokingham Weather' here in the UK;

http://www.woksat.info/wos.html

It highlights just how messed up the pack is? It looks as though a Crackopalypse event has already ripped through the pack ( I know it hasn't) . It set me wondering just how much a Full Moon Tidal Bulge would impact such ice? Will it 'snap' the connections between floes further weakening the bond each month making the 'grenade/choc bar' pack easier to disrupt?

KOYAANISQATSI

ko.yaa.nis.katsi (from the Hopi language), n. 1. crazy life. 2. life in turmoil. 3. life disintegrating. 4. life out of balance. 5. a state of life that calls for another way of living.

VIRESCIT VULNERE VIRTUS

Hefaistos

« Reply #769 on: January 19, 2017, 10:59:55 AM »

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
« Reply #770 on: January 20, 2017, 02:01:50 AM »
From HYCOM, we have an image of the green Arctic monster - a GAM, not to be confused with a GAC.  Complete with a blue eye, small dark blue tongue and horn on its snout.  Is that a red and yellow scarf around its head and neck? (it is cold out there).  The rest of the GAM is obviously hiding beneath Greenland and the CAA.
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

Shared Humanity

« Reply #771 on: January 20, 2017, 02:50:44 AM »
Looks like a boars head.

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #772 on: January 20, 2017, 06:40:43 AM »
A pterodactyl head with an elephant's trunk.

DoomInTheUK

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: January 20, 2017, 03:23:01 PM »
Maybe a Tapir with it's nose in the Fram?

magnamentis

« Reply #774 on: January 20, 2017, 03:34:49 PM »
goes into this direction LOL

anotheramethyst

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #775 on: January 21, 2017, 01:26:10 AM »
It looks a bit like a dragon king.... As if this "freezing" season wasn't scary enough!

Shared Humanity

« Reply #776 on: January 24, 2017, 04:39:48 AM »
OK...it's not the Arctic but it's still one very cool picture.....Lake Charlevoix, Michigan. The man is standing on 2 to 2 1/2 inches of ice that formed on two successive, wind free days of 6F weather. The water is six feet deep.

magnamentis

« Reply #777 on: January 26, 2017, 11:29:58 PM »
those are almost cozy temps for end of january :-)

magnamentis

« Reply #778 on: January 27, 2017, 10:40:21 PM »
to be continued, that's very warm indeed, not seen this as far back as i remember and certainly not for much longer than an hour or two.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 02:14:42 PM by magnamentis »

bosbas

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #779 on: January 27, 2017, 11:54:58 PM »
And even warmer now. -1.7C

magnamentis

« Reply #780 on: January 28, 2017, 02:16:09 PM »
And even warmer now. -1.7C

yeah, thanks, as an old "snowman" from the swiss alps i can even see how heavy the snow has become.

nice weekend @all

magnamentis

« Reply #781 on: January 28, 2017, 02:25:45 PM »
sun is up in the kara sea as per these days (depending on where exactly )

why is that worth to mention? because half of the kara is black water and if that remains like that for another short time we shall have a significantly increased energy input through insolation (reduced albedo) compared to any or at least most previous years

magnamentis

« Reply #782 on: January 30, 2017, 12:23:43 AM »
a few guys and pals up there in barrows have certainly been celebrating the return of mother sun by the 22nd of January. :-)

curious if and when o-buoy 14 will resume service or whether we shall get more buoys this year, albeit not probable considering the current policy in the US and the economical problems elsewhere will make funding not easy.

hope dies the last :-)

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: January 30, 2017, 02:48:22 PM »
sun is up in the kara sea as per these days (depending on where exactly ) gh insolation (reduced albedo) compared to any or at least most previous years

Do you by any chance have links to the sources of your screenshots?

magnamentis

« Reply #784 on: January 30, 2017, 03:57:11 PM »
sun is up in the kara sea as per these days (depending on where exactly ) gh insolation (reduced albedo) compared to any or at least most previous years

Do you by any chance have links to the sources of your screenshots?

some yes, some i don't remember from where i took them sorry. below those i could reproduce:

sun & moon calender
https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/russia/dikson

various webcams
https://sites.google.com/site/arcticseaicegraphs/webcams

google earth
https://www.google.com/earth/

more images
http://www.gettyimages.es/fotos/kara-sea?excludenudity=false&sort=mostpopular&mediatype=photography&phrase=kara%20sea

even more
https://www.google.es/search?q=kara%2Bsea%2Bimages&num=100&client=safari&rls=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiJhZzXkOrRAhVM02MKHeKRDREQsAQIGw&biw=1676&bih=944

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: January 30, 2017, 05:41:09 PM »
some yes, some i don't remember from where i took them sorry. below those i could reproduce:

Thanks. The calendar is new to me. The bottom two looked as though they might possibly have been recent images from the Kara, but it seems they're merely "stock images" chosen to illustrate albedo?

magnamentis

« Reply #786 on: January 30, 2017, 05:51:49 PM »

Thanks. The calendar is new to me. The bottom two looked as though they might possibly have been recent images from the Kara, but it seems they're merely "stock images" chosen to illustrate albedo?

exactly you got it all right, they were meant as a showcase to illustrate the difference between Kara ice covered or with open water at very low sun agle.

iceman

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #787 on: February 12, 2017, 05:32:53 PM »
entrainment of tropical moisture from Panama to Iceland

Jim Williams

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile

pikaia

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 121
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #789 on: February 14, 2017, 10:18:09 AM »

Recently there has been a particularly good display of Polar Stratospheric Clouds, photographed above.

From http://spaceweather.com/

"These clouds are newsworthy because normally the stratosphere has no clouds at all. Home to the ozone layer, the stratosphere is arid and almost always transparent. Yet, Stålnacke says, "we've been seeing stratospheric clouds very often this winter and last."

Eli81

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #790 on: February 14, 2017, 04:36:49 PM »
Obuoy14's first image of the year:

Can't see much, but she's alive!

bairgon

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #792 on: February 26, 2017, 07:18:08 AM »

VeliAlbertKallio

• Frazil ice
  • Eheu fugaces labuntur anni
    • View Profile
    • Sea Research Society (SRS)
  • Liked: 118
  • Likes Given: 134
« Reply #793 on: March 01, 2017, 01:07:42 AM »
On the ground, this behemoth has produced 80-year record snowfall in Iceland with 51 cm snowfall in one single event. This represents a substantial latent heat transfer and on sea ice it produces heat and insulation from cold once skies clear. It is just 4 cm below all-time record event in January 1937, 80 years and 1 month ago(!): http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/39104230/iceland-gets-record-breaking-snowfall-and-the-pictures-are-amazing  I suppose these are my pictures for the day..!  :o

I zoomed out a bit from that previous picture and wemt forward a day, and found a wave of cloud engulfing Greenland. I've turned it over to make it look more effective.

See satellite pic at https://worldview.earthdata.nasa.gov/?p=arctic&l=VIIRS_SNPP_CorrectedReflectance_TrueColor(hidden),MODIS_Aqua_CorrectedReflectance_TrueColor(hidden),MODIS_Terra_CorrectedReflectance_TrueColor,Reference_Labels(hidden),Reference_Features(hidden),Coastlines&t=2017-02-25&z=3&v=-1741581.779708392,-6148497.2199362805,2292978.2202916085,1715822.7800637197&r=90.0000
"Setting off atomic bombs is considered socially pungent as the years are made of fleeting ice that are painted by the piling up of the rays of the sun."

charles_oil

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 38
  • Likes Given: 74
« Reply #794 on: March 07, 2017, 12:44:22 PM »

Video rather than an image - listening to it is a nice contrast to the hurley-burley news and highspeed trainwreck of politics....

http://gcaptain.com/need-relax-try-listening-sounds-idling-arctic-icebreaker-beset-ice/

longwalks1

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 65
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #795 on: March 08, 2017, 11:22:38 AM »
And for the above - for downloading just the audio from youtube (and one thumbnail image) and converting to mp3

youtube-dl --extract-audio --prefer-ffmpeg --audio-format mp3 --audio-quality 0 --embed-thumbnail  "URL"

works quite well in linux and BSD if you have an up to date youtube-dl

Cate

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: March 09, 2017, 10:02:56 PM »
Spotted on the pack ice north of Twillingate, Newfoundland, yesterday. A big bear, in good condition. Wonderful sight.

Polar bears are not unusual on the NE coast of Newfoundland this time of year. This chap would be following the seal herds, which are whelping on the pack ice. Sometimes they do come ashore and are stranded if the ice moves off. Very young or old bears are the most dangerous, as they are often hungry. Wildlife officials will transport stranded bears back out to the ice edge, if possible.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1153
  • Likes Given: 430
« Reply #797 on: March 11, 2017, 07:28:18 PM »
NASA Ice: Photo from yesterday's #IceBridge flight: View across the Nares Strait from Greenland to Ellesmere Island, Canada.
https://twitter.com/nasa_ice/status/840614419767918594

NASA Ice: Pic from yesterday's #IceBridge flight: Clouds forming over leads due to the sharp temperature contrast between the warm water and cold air.
https://twitter.com/nasa_ice/status/840614707417481217
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

Jim Williams

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: March 11, 2017, 08:32:56 PM »
NASA Ice: Photo from yesterday's #IceBridge flight: View across the Nares Strait from Greenland to Ellesmere Island, Canada.
https://twitter.com/nasa_ice/status/840614419767918594

NASA Ice: Pic from yesterday's #IceBridge flight: Clouds forming over leads due to the sharp temperature contrast between the warm water and cold air.
https://twitter.com/nasa_ice/status/840614707417481217
A harbinger of things to come.  The desert is breaking up.

pikaia

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 121
  • Likes Given: 39