Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Arctic Image of the Day  (Read 894077 times)

Martin Gisser

Re: Arctic Image of the Day
« Reply #850 on: April 21, 2017, 10:58:09 PM »

Residents view the first iceberg of the season as it passes the South Shore, also known as "Iceberg Alley", near Ferryland Newfoundland, Canada April 16, 2017. REUTERS/Jody Martin

http://www.reuters.com/news/picture/photos-of-the-week?articleId=USRTS136QJ

P.S.: I swear I checked, but it somehow evaded me this picture has already been posted :) But this beauty bears repeating... :-)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 11:03:32 PM by Martin Gisser »

VeliAlbertKallio

• Frazil ice
  • Eheu fugaces labuntur anni
    • View Profile
    • Sea Research Society (SRS)
  • Liked: 118
  • Likes Given: 134
« Reply #851 on: April 21, 2017, 11:49:58 PM »
The Lincoln Sea has traditionally been the strongest area of sea ice with thickest sea ice packs of the Arctic Ocean the norm. This image of 21st April 2017 suggest, instead, a relatively feeble sea ice tumbling down like dominoes at ease with sea ice breaking front fanning out an ever larger circle of open water: https://worldview.earthdata.nasa.gov/?p=arctic&l=VIIRS_SNPP_CorrectedReflectance_TrueColor(hidden),MODIS_Aqua_CorrectedReflectance_TrueColor(hidden),MODIS_Terra_CorrectedReflectance_TrueColor,Reference_Labels(hidden),Reference_Features(hidden),Coastlines&t=2017-04-21&z=3&v=-416774.7992150438,-915224.113907556,-154630.79921504378,-750104.113907556
"Setting off atomic bombs is considered socially pungent as the years are made of fleeting ice that are painted by the piling up of the rays of the sun."

Cate

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #852 on: April 22, 2017, 01:49:50 AM »
A friend found this useful iceberg locator:
http://icebergfinder.com/

Hi Susan, that site, which is run by the tourism dept of the provincial government, relies on reports by "ambassadors" and thus gives only a partial picture of the berg situation on our coast.

A more complete picture is compiled daily by the Canadian Ice Service. Click "East Coast", then scroll down to "Daily Iceberg Analysis Chart." The graphic gives the numbers of bergs in each section of the map.

http://www.ec.gc.ca/glaces-ice/default.asp?lang=En&n=D32C361E-1&grp=Guest&mn=&lang=en

If you are on FB, check out "Newfoundland Iceberg Reports", a group which is very current and features photos and local information, also lots of locals posting who are happy to help visitors locate icebergs. 

:)

Cate

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: April 25, 2017, 12:18:46 AM »
Cape Bauld light, at the very tip of Newfoundland's Great Northern Peninsula, today. Lat 51.6N. Just a few minutes from the UNESCO Norse site at L'Anse aux Meadows. Canadian Ice Service charts for today show sea ice extending hundreds of km northwards from here.

PS In summertime, the lightkeeper's house, now disused as such, is a B&B. :)

PHOTO BY SHARON KEAN.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #854 on: April 25, 2017, 01:12:14 AM »
Cate
That is amazing. I was there twice in May of 2005 & it was tee shirt weather. In just over a month in Newfoundland and Labrador we saw one far off iceberg.
A friend is headed to Ferryland this summer and is hoping the bergs there are long gone, says it chills the whole area.

Great photo
Terry

epiphyte

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 22
  • Likes Given: 21
« Reply #855 on: April 25, 2017, 05:28:00 AM »
That is just the 10% above the water!

Taking a SWAG at it that's ~1.5M M^3 of fresh water. Perhaps someone should wrap it and it's pals in mylar, tow them down to Bahrain, or somewhere like that, and grow some vegetation with it...

charles_oil

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 38
  • Likes Given: 74
« Reply #856 on: April 25, 2017, 04:24:25 PM »
https://www.thebigblow.ca/iceberg-whale-tours looks like the B & B is nearby.

Cate

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: April 25, 2017, 06:23:20 PM »

In just over a month in Newfoundland and Labrador we saw one far off iceberg.
A friend is headed to Ferryland this summer and is hoping the bergs there are long gone, says it chills the whole area.

Great photo
Terry

Terry, I'm with your friend. Ice is lovely to look at but it always means colder waters and thus a likelihood of a slower spring and/or cooler, damper summer. All depends on the wind, which is why all true Newfoundlanders pray for six weeks of sou'westerlies starting just about now. :)

Cate

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: April 25, 2017, 06:25:43 PM »
A stunning collection of NASA IceBridge 2017 photos by NASA Goddard scientist Jeremy Harbeck.

https://jeremyharbeck.smugmug.com/Field-WorkExpeditions/Operation-IceBridge-2017-Arctic

philiponfire

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 6

Cate

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: May 02, 2017, 10:18:02 PM »
Yet another Arctic visitor to Newfoundland shores this spring.

Koo koo ka choo!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/walrus-spotted-st-lunaire-griquet-1.4095195

Photos by Ruby Taylor Peyton.

seaicesailor

« Reply #861 on: May 05, 2017, 03:46:40 PM »
This year's Big Block comes out of Amundsen Gulf and seems 25 km-thick

Cate

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: May 05, 2017, 03:55:42 PM »
seaicesailor,  maybe not 25 km thick? Maybe 25 m? Hoping not 25 cm.

Hyperion

• Frazil ice
  • Admiral Franklin of the McGillicuddy Highland Navy
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 127
  • Likes Given: 64
« Reply #863 on: May 05, 2017, 04:27:53 PM »
I think he means wide.  ::) if its 25m thick its a dang big piece of shelf. Not good either.
Policy: The diversion of NZ aluminum production to build giant space-mirrors to melt the icecaps and destroy the foolish greed-worshiping cities of man. Thereby returning man to the sea, which he should never have left in the first place.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McGillicuddy_Serious_Party

seaicesailor

« Reply #864 on: May 05, 2017, 05:39:34 PM »
I meant 25 km  thick by the visual effect, but on second look what it seems is half-sunk  ... impossible too unless it is a failed geoengineered platform

Hyperion

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: May 05, 2017, 07:09:24 PM »
Looks like a fog bank. Is it disintegrating on that side and producing fog as the melting rubble cools the air? Lets keep an eye on it.
Policy: The diversion of NZ aluminum production to build giant space-mirrors to melt the icecaps and destroy the foolish greed-worshiping cities of man. Thereby returning man to the sea, which he should never have left in the first place.

seaicesailor

« Reply #866 on: May 05, 2017, 11:42:29 PM »
I was kidding with the 25 km thick and the sinking platform of course. The gray band I believe is the last layers of refreezing and maybe some fog too. It will be interesting to follow indeed, there should be more drifting in the next days and at some point a drop in the thickness from 25 km to 2 or 3 meters  ;)

Andreas T

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #867 on: May 06, 2017, 01:25:59 AM »
there are weatherstations on the coast which give a good idea of conditions, temperatures at Cambridge Bay were -24 to -15 C but are forcast to reach a maximum of -4 in the coming days.
http://climate.weather.gc.ca/climate_data/daily_data_e.html?StationID=53512
To distinguish between fog and ice look at the 3,6,7 band images on world view https://go.nasa.gov/2peG8tD
red is snow and ice, white are clouds.

seaicesailor

« Reply #868 on: May 06, 2017, 12:44:13 PM »
The question is, will this big gulf ball get out of the hole? My vote is yes, in one piece? My vote is no.
https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php/topic,1834.msg112423.html#msg112423

bairgon

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #869 on: May 08, 2017, 01:55:16 PM »
Big block 2017 is no more - though it is a little difficult to tell through the clouds.

Shared Humanity

« Reply #870 on: May 08, 2017, 03:34:27 PM »
Big block 2017 is no more - though it is a little difficult to tell through the clouds.

Cool. Although to equate this FYI with Big Block in 2016 is misleading.

DoomInTheUK

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #871 on: May 08, 2017, 05:49:00 PM »
It looks far more delicate than the big block. It's more like a big egg being cracked open.

I think I need more meds!

Darvince

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 31
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #872 on: May 09, 2017, 12:59:19 AM »
I think attempting to assign any floe this year as "Big Block" is pretty much a failed endeavor from the start since FYI tends to break as necessary when it hits something rather than the thing it hits shattering.

jai mitchell

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 207
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #873 on: May 09, 2017, 06:32:52 AM »

Cool. Although to equate this FYI with Big Block in 2016 is misleading.

big slab?
Haiku of Futures Passed
My "burning embers"
are not tri-color bar graphs
+3C today

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
« Reply #874 on: May 09, 2017, 10:09:26 AM »
Big Break.  ;D
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

crandles

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 239
  • Likes Given: 81
« Reply #875 on: May 09, 2017, 12:42:26 PM »
Big Break.  ;D

Hmm, maybe that should have been first 47 seconds of
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 12:48:58 PM by crandles »

ritter

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 24
« Reply #876 on: May 09, 2017, 10:05:58 PM »
Crack, the gateway drug?

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
« Reply #877 on: May 09, 2017, 11:52:33 PM »
Big Break.  ;D

Hmm, maybe that should have been first 47 seconds of

No, I liked that first link better. In fact, my daughter liked it so much, she put it on six times in a row. Thanks, crandles!  ;D
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

seaicesailor

« Reply #878 on: May 10, 2017, 12:27:28 AM »
It broke big in fact. :-(
So nothing remotely close to BB in size this year (needless to say not in thickness or age...).

magnamentis

« Reply #879 on: May 23, 2017, 05:16:22 PM »
a nice example as to what insolation combined with low albedo, i'm referring to the dark ice in barrows and other places, can do even at clearly below freezing temps. one can see melt ponding as well as water flowing down the road even though temps are 2-3C below 0, coming from even lower and a decent wind chill factor.

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3584
  • Likes Given: 3922
« Reply #880 on: May 23, 2017, 05:19:50 PM »
I believe temps have been slightly above 0 at times in the last few days

magnamentis

« Reply #881 on: May 23, 2017, 10:25:11 PM »
I believe temps have been slightly above 0 at times in the last few days

yes you're right but they are below in that picture and the ponds are not refrozen as well as the water in the streets is still liquid and flowing due to insolation o dark ground. as i said, i used this as an example while what really caught my eyes recently was the amount of soot getting higher every season on greenland's ice-sheet and this year extremely so visible on barrows webcam. barrows has hardly be over 0C this year, could even be the first day today (significantly) and already there are poodles and melt is ongoing on that lake to the right and that was at temps of minus 4-8C, wind chill not counted. the intention of my post was to illustrate that long before temps reach 0C and higher, significant melt could start if the ice/snow is dirty and the sun is strong enough.

magnamentis

« Reply #882 on: May 23, 2017, 10:29:33 PM »
it's this what i was referring to while insolation was even poor over the last few days and temps WERE (are not now) well below freezing point, there are huge poodles and all the rest i mentioned, not even mentioning the ope water which has been there for many days now which at times one can clearly see at the horizon and verify over satellite.

rboyd

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 226
  • Likes Given: 52
« Reply #883 on: May 23, 2017, 10:50:30 PM »
Huge poodles would certainly be a worrying new trend for the Arctic! At least they would keep the polar bears well fed.

romett1

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 32
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #884 on: May 27, 2017, 12:09:21 PM »
Nice early morning sunrise over Barrow. Also meltwater can be seen, it's about -3 °C right now, should rise to +2 °C later.
Image: http://seaice.alaska.edu/gi/observatories/barrow_webcam

Kate

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 10
  • Likes Given: 133
« Reply #885 on: May 27, 2017, 02:25:30 PM »
Nice early morning sunrise over Barrow. Also meltwater can be seen, it's about -3 °C right now, should rise to +2 °C later.
Image: http://seaice.alaska.edu/gi/observatories/barrow_webcam

Nearly posted this same scene about 10 mins ago!!! What I noticed was the man cleaning fish near the far left hand side...well I think he's cleaning fish...where all the footprints are in the snow. I watch Barrow grass grow in summer :) It's my favourite webcam!

anotheramethyst

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #886 on: May 27, 2017, 10:24:17 PM »

already there are poodles and melt is ongoing

magna normally i try not to be "the spelling police" but since you made the mistake twice and someone made a joke about it, i thought i would clarify for you.  :)

a poodle is a furry breed of dog.
a puddle is a small pool of water :)

look up pictures of poodles because it is really funny to imagine them running around all over the arctic :D

sorry, not trying to be annoying :)

Ice Shieldz

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 59
  • Likes Given: 58
« Reply #887 on: May 27, 2017, 10:37:31 PM »
Actually you're not being the spelling police. I am!  ::) From my recollection Magna used poodles 3 times counting another thread. And it made me smile hugely, especially coming from Magna, who provides so many informative and spot on insights. I'm looking forward to invoking poodles in my own discussions when they start showing off around the arctic. ;D

JKDMaineUSA

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #888 on: May 28, 2017, 10:59:02 AM »
Think about it .. the end result would still be the same, many small melt puddles on the ice but only yellow in color.  ;D

magnamentis

« Reply #889 on: May 28, 2017, 11:46:10 AM »

already there are poodles and melt is ongoing

magna normally i try not to be "the spelling police" but since you made the mistake twice and someone made a joke about it, i thought i would clarify for you.  :)

a poodle is a furry breed of dog.
a puddle is a small pool of water :)

look up pictures of poodles because it is really funny to imagine them running around all over the arctic :D

sorry, not trying to be annoying :)

thanks a lot man, "embarrasing" LOL but i'm happy for every correction of this kind, i definitely didn't have this ready, probably only would have wondered once i would use the poodle and the puddle word in one sentence. very much appreciated and much more helpful than jokes while i do smile as well now that i'm aware.

magnamentis

« Reply #890 on: May 28, 2017, 11:49:42 AM »
Actually you're not being the spelling police. I am!  ::) From my recollection Magna used poodles 3 times counting another thread. And it made me smile hugely, especially coming from Magna, who provides so many informative and spot on insights. I'm looking forward to invoking poodles in my own discussions when they start showing off around the arctic. ;D

yeah, it happens at times that i (one) non-native speakers of a language just have some wrongs sticking over years, sometimes decades, until someone is kind enough to point to the mistakes.

mostly it happesn to me in phonetics but as we see, not only. every day i (we) learn and that's a great feeling to go forward and learn. thanks and yes, now it appears funny indeed

i'm not sure what i should think that my mistakes are counted, happy or worried LOL just kidding of course, it's very much ok.

EDIT: try to find the posts with search function but found only 2 if someone remembers the posts who can send me the link for correction would be welcome, just if it's not asking too much ;)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 12:00:31 PM by magnamentis »

crandles

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 239
  • Likes Given: 81
« Reply #891 on: May 28, 2017, 01:26:32 PM »
Since there are so many smilies around,

Huge poodles would certainly be a worrying new trend for the Arctic! At least they would keep the polar bears well fed.

Maybe that depends on how huge? Maybe they are so huge they eat the polar bears?  ;D

Hyperion

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: May 28, 2017, 07:41:06 PM »
Perhaps if they hybridise with arctic wolves and foxes we could get super poxes and woodles that would be a match for the hybrid grizzly polar super-bars

Ice Shieldz

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 59
  • Likes Given: 58
« Reply #893 on: May 28, 2017, 11:38:28 PM »
@ magnamentis - maybe it was only twice and i was reading this thread when i thought i was reading another. 

Let me also add that I have nothing but the greatest respect and appreciation for those that write and speak in a second language - especially English. ::) I know there are many 2nd language contributors here on ASIF and i want to say thank you for taking the time and effort to translate your thoughts and sharing them with this great community!

numerobis

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #894 on: May 29, 2017, 05:32:22 AM »
water flowing down the road even though temps are 2-3C below 0

May 1 I flew back to Montreal from Iqaluit. I left all my winter gear, since I'm in Montreal to pack and otherwise move to Iqaluit. So I was standing outside waiting for the taxi in a spring-weather jacket, no hat, no gloves. Quite comfortable. Water was flowing down the road in a normal-looking spring thaw stream.

It was -12 C.

(And perhaps I should mention the landlord's poodles were napping in the dog house.)

Tealight

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
    • CryosphereComputing
  • Liked: 176
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #895 on: May 29, 2017, 08:56:10 AM »
Arctic Poodles are real. I found definitive proof:
https://arcticpoodle.wordpress.com/author/finnfinn1/

On Worldview I found one lake east of James Bay which is still ice covered, but a river flowing through it has carved an ice free channel. Is this 100% natural or do Canadians use icebreakers in these remote parts?

Milret2

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 135
« Reply #896 on: May 29, 2017, 12:07:19 PM »
This American has a wife who describes his slow driving as "poodling along". I find it's use as describing a puddle rather charming after many years of my wife describing my driving to me. I will cease my own referencing it now as I take a bow to all the international people here who speak and write in English as I only can handle enough words in German after six years of living there to order a beer and get slapped after I have drunk it and say something uncouth to a fraulein at the bar. Instead I will be quiet and continue to learn about the Arctic from all of you.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #897 on: May 29, 2017, 04:50:29 PM »

On Worldview I found one lake east of James Bay which is still ice covered, but a river flowing through it has carved an ice free channel. Is this 100% natural or do Canadians use icebreakers in these remote parts?
I believe you're looking at the East Main reservoir and the Grand River. No icebreakers but 100% artificial. All part of North America's largest hydro generation project.
Terry

Andreas T

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #898 on: May 29, 2017, 05:29:42 PM »
I guess that explains what we see as a deeper, pre reservoir riverbed melting before ice over slower moving water in the shallower parts of the reservoir?  Wikipedia gives an average depth of 21m and a maximum of 137m for the Robert Bourassa reservoir. Could there be an effect due to the pre reservoir plantmaterial still on the lakebed?

numerobis

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #899 on: May 30, 2017, 01:31:43 AM »

I see small dogs with short hair in Iqaluit, when it's -40 out. They are perfectly happy.

Friends are still going out on the bay in Iqaluit. There's melt ponds, but the ice is generally still thick and snow-covered enough to ski on.

Even in the middle of winter there's water on the ice, due to the tides.