Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Arctic Image of the Day  (Read 894181 times)

slow wing

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 155
  • Likes Given: 546
Re: Arctic Image of the Day
« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2013, 09:47:01 AM »
No way!!  ;D

What a great photo!

Whit

• New ice
  • Standing in a river, waving a stick
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #51 on: August 05, 2013, 10:35:52 AM »
Is it progress if a cannibal eats with a fork?

PhilDPortsmouth

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2013, 12:45:46 PM »
Brilliant - well spotted

jai mitchell

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 207
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #53 on: August 07, 2013, 02:27:19 AM »
2013B got taken down by a polar bear

See the footprints in the previous image?

:) :) :) :)
Haiku of Futures Passed
My "burning embers"
are not tri-color bar graphs
+3C today

Vergent

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #54 on: August 07, 2013, 04:04:15 PM »
jai,

If you take the image link from the archive rather than the gallery, they will not change from day to day.

V

Patrick

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 07, 2013, 11:24:03 PM »
This image of course doesn't show some tropical islands (which you may recognize by the slushy ice surrounding them  ;)), but rather pictures the northeastern part of Foxe Basin with Prince Charles Island in the middle. No wonder this region is rich in wildlife, it seems to be quite a beautiful place...

Image Source: NASA Worldview

jdallen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 650
  • Likes Given: 244
This space for Rent.

Shared Humanity

« Reply #57 on: August 09, 2013, 01:21:52 AM »
This image of course doesn't show some tropical islands (which you may recognize by the slushy ice surrounding them  ;)), but rather pictures the northeastern part of Foxe Basin with Prince Charles Island in the middle. No wonder this region is rich in wildlife, it seems to be quite a beautiful place...

Image Source: NASA Worldview

Is that old man winter south of Prince Charles Island?

Apocalypse4Real

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2013, 06:57:25 AM »
Are we seeing soot, or algae bloom in this ESS picture from August 8, 2013?

MOwens

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 11, 2013, 12:41:00 AM »
sea ice graph reinterpreted "Dancing on the beast's nose":

MOwens

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 11, 2013, 12:55:12 AM »
I think any soot should be mostly invisible once in the water...although it could in theory trigger an algae bloom:

"During the initial firestorm, phosphorus and nitrogen levels increased 5- to 60-fold above background levels resulting from aerial deposition from smoke and ash. Nutrients returned to background concentrations within several weeks after the fire."  http://www.fs.fed.us/rm/boise/research/fisheries/fire/FAE%20Papers/spencer_final.pdf

Nitrogen and phosphorus especially are critical elements for the algae. Carbon is too for that matter.

Vergent

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 11, 2013, 03:23:51 PM »

USCGC Healy heading north toward the setting sun!

V
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 04:30:18 PM by Vergent »

danp

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 11, 2013, 05:11:45 PM »
Nice!  AMSR2 gives the pack edge there as 75° N.  If there aren't any more detours, they should reach it tomorrow.  It'll be nice to get a real look at the ice.

-Dan

Pmt111500

« Reply #63 on: August 12, 2013, 04:19:50 PM »
I've been playing with the image processing software using the maps provided by Wipneus attempting to locate fastest melt-areas. Here's one try that might actually be pretty close. Too bad I don't anymore remember the steps... 09082013 and 10082013 (rescale, difference, multiply, black and white, inverse what not.) three layers had to be used to get the island showing again properly. Nice to see some individual floes in there.

Wipneus

• Citizen scientist
  • Young ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctische Pinguin
  • Liked: 1025
« Reply #64 on: August 12, 2013, 04:36:47 PM »
I've been playing with the image processing software using the maps provided by Wipneus attempting to locate fastest melt-areas. Here's one try that might actually be pretty close. Too bad I don't anymore remember the steps... 09082013 and 10082013 (rescale, difference, multiply, black and white, inverse what not.) three layers had to be used to get the island showing again properly. Nice to see some individual floes in there.

I am not sure that you are aware that I provided png's in https://sites.google.com/site/apamsr2/home/pngcby32. They are there, intended the users (in particular A-Team on the ASIB), that like to play withstudy the images but don't want to process the NetCDF files themselves.
Ice concentration 0-100% corresponds to 0-255 in the image files.

Pmt111500

« Reply #65 on: August 13, 2013, 06:34:31 AM »
I am not sure that you are aware that I provided png's in https://sites.google.com/site/apamsr2/home/pngcby32. They are there, intended the users (in particular A-Team on the ASIB), that like to play withstudy the images but don't want to process the NetCDF files themselves.
Ice concentration 0-100% corresponds to 0-255 in the image files.

Oh, thanks! I wasn't aware of those! Very cool maps.

pearscot

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 190
  • Likes Given: 65
« Reply #66 on: August 13, 2013, 07:35:24 AM »
Sorry for not being able to post the direct picture, but it looks like the melt pond has reformed extremely rapidly. I had no idea these could develop literally over night.
pls!

Peter Ellis

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 33
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #67 on: August 13, 2013, 08:55:01 AM »
Huh? No pond there or on any of the recent archive pics. Quite the opposite: snow is accumulating.

Artful Dodger

• Frazil ice
  • The traps have got him, and that's all about it!
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 127
« Reply #68 on: August 13, 2013, 09:59:04 AM »
Hi pearscot,

The image you posted is a live link, which is recycled about every 24 hrs. It (much like the sea ice) is ephemeral, and will not last.  ;)

If you wish to link to the images on the PSC website, you need to post the link to the permanent archive (go the the very bottom for the latest images).

Did you mean to refer to this image? (taken Mon Aug 12 18:53:02 UTC)

Cheers!
Lodger

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 420
« Reply #69 on: August 14, 2013, 06:57:20 PM »
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 11:14:23 AM by Espen »
Have a ice day!

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
« Reply #70 on: August 14, 2013, 10:43:16 PM »
Okay, folks, you can drive your tractors and backhoes over the bridge now!  ;D

What a difference! Last year was really insane.
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

OldLeatherneck

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 14, 2013, 10:53:09 PM »
Okay, folks, you can drive your tractors and backhoes over the bridge now!  ;D

What a difference! Last year was really insane.

Wait a few years........some day we will all look back at 2012 and think that it was just a "Wall in the Park".
"Share Your Knowledge.  It's a Way to Achieve Immortality."  ......the Dalai Lama

Chuck Yokota

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #72 on: August 20, 2013, 03:50:15 PM »
A glimpse of the North Pole today:

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 20, 2013, 03:52:35 PM »
It looks like cottage cheese ::)
Have a ice day!

Shared Humanity

« Reply #74 on: August 20, 2013, 04:07:40 PM »

I'm not sure where but someone commented on the look of the ice across the CAB. They noted that the ice had generally large and dispersed rounded flows surrounded by mush (bergy bits, rotten ice etc.) They suggested this appearance over such a wide expanse was new.

Given the new, pronounced mobility of ice in the CAB, could the multiple cyclones (relatively mild as compared to GAC2012)  have caused a significant mixing of the remaining MYI and FYI in the CAB? The larger rounded flows would be the remaining, relatively solid MYI, rounded by the enhanced wave action as the MYI was jostled about. The broken up ice would be the FYI that has been pulverized by the cyclones of 2013.

jdallen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 20, 2013, 06:03:38 PM »

I'm not sure where but someone commented on the look of the ice across the CAB. They noted that the ice had generally large and dispersed rounded flows surrounded by mush (bergy bits, rotten ice etc.) They suggested this appearance over such a wide expanse was new.

Given the new, pronounced mobility of ice in the CAB, could the multiple cyclones (relatively mild as compared to GAC2012)  have caused a significant mixing of the remaining MYI and FYI in the CAB? The larger rounded flows would be the remaining, relatively solid MYI, rounded by the enhanced wave action as the MYI was jostled about. The broken up ice would be the FYI that has been pulverized by the cyclones of 2013.

I'd say there may be merit to your observation.
This space for Rent.

Artful Dodger

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 21, 2013, 12:33:19 AM »
Yes, that would be Werther. He has tracked large individual floes with his Autocad technique over several seasons.

Just one note of caution on the use of terminology. A 'bergy bit' is a remnant of an ice berg. Being fresh water ice, they are dramatically different than sea ice. Bergy bits mostly originate in Baffin Bay and are found in the NFLD sea and the N. Atlantic ocean.

Now that the great ice shelves on the North edge of the CAA have disappeared, there are almost no bergy bits deposited into the Central Arctic Basin.
Cheers!
Lodger

LarsBoelen

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 21, 2013, 05:12:32 PM »
The North Pole showed up as a bathtub full of floating cottage cheese, but the MYI north of Greenland was visible on EOSDIS for the first time in a long time yesterday, and to me that area looks just as spectaculair, it's shattered:

Shared Humanity

« Reply #78 on: August 21, 2013, 08:03:08 PM »
The North Pole showed up as a bathtub full of floating cottage cheese, but the MYI north of Greenland was visible on EOSDIS for the first time in a long time yesterday, and to me that area looks just as spectaculair, it's shattered:

How large are the flows? Isn't it normal for stress fractures to occur in the ice?

LarsBoelen

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 21, 2013, 09:17:13 PM »
SH,

I'm really a newby Pole watcher (2nd year) so I don't know what normal is. And I know stress fractures in ice only from skating (i'm Dutch): your skate-blade fits in one. The fracture in the middle of the image is 80-100km kilometers long, and more than a kilometer wide. It triggered my interest, because I thought that the thick multi year ice would sort of remain a solid mass, but apparently not, learning something new every day.

Vergent

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 21, 2013, 09:48:49 PM »
Lars,

Welcome to the forum. Be sure and familiarize yourself with the data and image resources. A lot of them can be found at Neven's ASIG;

https://sites.google.com/site/arcticseaicegraphs/

The sea ice always cracked up and moving. More so in summer than winter. The permanent ice shelves are in rapid retreat.

Vergent

Pmt111500

« Reply #81 on: August 22, 2013, 03:19:45 PM »
from a fresh Aqua/MODIS image

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 22, 2013, 03:38:14 PM »
Yes! Nordostrundingen upside down ;)
Have a ice day!

Shared Humanity

« Reply #83 on: August 22, 2013, 06:04:49 PM »
SH,

I'm really a newby Pole watcher (2nd year) so I don't know what normal is. And I know stress fractures in ice only from skating (i'm Dutch): your skate-blade fits in one. The fracture in the middle of the image is 80-100km kilometers long, and more than a kilometer wide. It triggered my interest, because I thought that the thick multi year ice would sort of remain a solid mass, but apparently not, learning something new every day.

I am a newbie as well, been visiting here for a little over a year. I tend to post questions when I post because I am clear that most here know more than me.

theoldinsane

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 22, 2013, 09:47:09 PM »
What is this? An extraterrestrial insect or spacecrap or?

I found it at http://www.arctic.io/split-zoom/ (aug 21) with max zoom and my browser at 200 %.

I think anyone could find it, but you have to zoom in a lot to see it.

Found it also on august 19th to SSE and august 18th to SSW and august 17th  to NNW.

Any ideas?

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 22, 2013, 10:11:16 PM »
theoldinsane,

Hi, I do see them often, and when you use that link you provided above you also find them on the ice sheet to the left, I believe it is a digital error often seen in the jpg.file format.
Have a ice day!

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 99
« Reply #86 on: August 22, 2013, 10:13:45 PM »
theoldinsane, that reminds me on artifacts I see quite often, for example August 10, 2013.
NASA Worldview cropped sample (attached) shows 3 of them.
A markers or artifacts of processing, my opinion.
(I see, Espen was faster)

danp

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 22, 2013, 10:17:37 PM »
Very likely it was a small section of a linear seam between two adjacent swaths that were stitched to make the mosaic.  Then the jpg compression produced the extra noise as Espen said.

When I produce mosaics there are usually small sections of 1-2 pixel seams that result from choices the reprojection software makes about where to place border pixels, and I have to intentionally remove them by filling with average neighbor values.  You can still see remnants of them on my 8-day composites because I use a light hand on the filling procedure so that larger data dropouts aren't obscured.

theoldinsane

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 22, 2013, 10:41:34 PM »
Espen, ivica , danp

Ok, maybe so. But do you have any proof that those things not are extraterrestrial insects?  ;)

Remember that NASA didn´t found the ozone hole because they dismissed some of the data they recieved from satellite observations. The ozone hole was found by an amateurish observer on the ground.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #89 on: August 22, 2013, 11:24:39 PM »
I think what we've been seeing is discarded chariot whips used by Helios on this daily ride. All the views we have are from satellites that follow the Sun quite closely so these are being found close to his path. Hopefully the steeds wear diapers.
Terry

Vergent

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 23, 2013, 12:42:56 AM »
The original image lacks the contrast to go from black to white in one pixel. Therefore it must be an artifact of image processing, and alas not a godly artifact.

Vergent

Shared Humanity

« Reply #91 on: August 23, 2013, 01:36:02 AM »
It looks like stairs to me.

jdallen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 23, 2013, 09:49:04 AM »
theoldinsane,

Hi, I do see them often, and when you use that link you provided above you also find them on the ice sheet to the left, I believe it is a digital error often seen in the jpg.file format.

Likewise, I bet on it being a media artifact.  Sorry, alien insects are all off eating purple weeds on Adelbaran.
This space for Rent.

Xyrus

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 23, 2013, 08:56:54 PM »
theoldinsane,

Likewise, I bet on it being a media artifact.  Sorry, alien insects are all off eating purple weeds on Adelbaran.

Thanks for sending them. Now I don't have to weed my garden!

Sincerely,
Plaxbog Balgor, Adelbaran

Phil.

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 76
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #94 on: August 24, 2013, 06:33:10 PM »
Espen, ivica , danp

Ok, maybe so. But do you have any proof that those things not are extraterrestrial insects?  ;)

Remember that NASA didn´t found the ozone hole because they dismissed some of the data they recieved from satellite observations. The ozone hole was found by an amateurish observer on the ground.

Farman was no amateur, he was a very meticulous scientist who compiled a long series of measurements which enabled him to discover the 'hole', while working for the British Antarctic Survey.

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 27, 2013, 08:47:05 PM »

Just in from Chile: Rare snow falls in Atacama desert of Chile :

Have a ice day!

Vergent

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 29, 2013, 06:06:29 AM »

Don't know if he's heading to the arctic, but it is my picture of the day.

Vergent

Pmt111500

« Reply #97 on: August 29, 2013, 12:41:37 PM »
There's a new shipping route opening shortly, here's a map, due to the nature of the area the route is drawn only approximately. Note that the route maybe used by those ships only that are class I in the durability classification (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_class) since the route might contain some ice.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 01:08:43 PM by Pmt111500 »

Artful Dodger

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 29, 2013, 12:57:17 PM »
Oh ha ha. Shipping routes!  ::)

Sovcomflot GUARANTEES passage through the Northern Sea Route for 6 months per year now.
Cheers!
Lodger

Pmt111500

« Reply #99 on: August 29, 2013, 01:57:12 PM »

Sovcomflot GUARANTEES passage through the Northern Sea Route for 6 months per year now.

dear Lodger, I meant unassisted! :-P