Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Arctic Image of the Day  (Read 894114 times)

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5289
  • Likes Given: 69
Re: Arctic Image of the Day
« Reply #1100 on: February 09, 2018, 12:56:29 PM »
I may have missed something - but "half an hour after" what? And where?
perhaps Pmt111500 thinks that lots of people knowing where he lives is not a good idea?
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

Pmt111500

« Reply #1101 on: February 09, 2018, 01:08:33 PM »
perhaps Pmt111500 thinks that lots of people knowing where he lives is not a good idea?

I've not exactly hidden it very well, but anyway, not very much advertising it on the net. I've once been a victim to an illegal hack, so it's possible many details are public anyway. Getting too old and crippled to care much about assholes, be it individuals or organizations.

binntho

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 878
  • Likes Given: 235
« Reply #1102 on: February 09, 2018, 02:56:10 PM »
Fair enough - and normally I wouldn't have asked, if it wasn't for the implication that the picture was taken after an event that the reader should be aware of?

But of course it doesn't matter at all - the picture is good and it's refreshing to see proper ice and snow every now and then, here in Sicily it's raining and "cold", only 12 degrees!
because a thing is eloquently expressed it should not be taken to be as necessarily true
St. Augustine, Confessions V, 6

magnamentis

« Reply #1103 on: February 09, 2018, 05:45:51 PM »
Fair enough - and normally I wouldn't have asked, if it wasn't for the implication that the picture was taken after an event that the reader should be aware of?

But of course it doesn't matter at all - the picture is good and it's refreshing to see proper ice and snow every now and then, here in Sicily it's raining and "cold", only 12 degrees!

yeah, matter of factly it looks very much the same like when i was looking out the windown from my cottage in nova scotia once upon a time when i lived there and very much similar like many lakes across canada and te US whle crossing them with skidoos many many years ago ;) so it could be in many places within a certain range of latitued across the north american continent.

always have to be carful not to show too much while sharing images or videos, not a good idea as it was mentioned

closest guess would be somewhere south to the south west of the great lakes, ohio, missouri etc. for one but that's just gaming for the fun of it LOL because there are places in manitoba and ontario looking very much similar like in the "Kenora" Region, thousands of corners like that up there.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 05:55:01 PM by magnamentis »

numerobis

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #1104 on: February 09, 2018, 06:16:29 PM »
Half an hour after sunrise, and towards the sunrise.

I can't tell you where -- the image was taken on an LG phone but it has no GPS information.

Pmt111500

« Reply #1105 on: February 22, 2018, 12:07:50 PM »
Nearby salmon- or rather trout run over the rapid gathers various types of ice when temperatures drop enough. Yellowish coloration is of clay the river runs through. How do you turn these images right way up using phone??
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 12:17:46 PM by Pmt111500 »

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
« Reply #1106 on: February 22, 2018, 02:12:47 PM »
Don't know, but here it is:
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

Pmt111500

« Reply #1107 on: February 22, 2018, 02:48:18 PM »
Thanks Tor. I've been trying to record some of the winter phenomena for others here to see. I thought it might be nice for people here who don't have a cold winter.

josh-j

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 34
  • Likes Given: 102
« Reply #1108 on: February 23, 2018, 07:27:11 PM »
Thanks Tor. I've been trying to record some of the winter phenomena for others here to see. I thought it might be nice for people here who don't have a cold winter.

Thanks for sharing this Pmt, it looks beautiful. I often feel I should have been born somewhere colder - though I suppose even here in the UK it was colder back when I was born - and I think this amazing photo confirms that!

uniquorn

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2163
  • Likes Given: 388
« Reply #1109 on: February 25, 2018, 09:09:32 PM »
I came across this feature while looking at the Kara Sea today. A repeated fracture that rotates around an island near Dikson.

Pmt111500

« Reply #1110 on: February 26, 2018, 08:21:24 PM »
This is considered nuts by most finns and swedes too, I guess. More common is to throw small rocks sliding on the ice to get the sound.

Dharma Rupa

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 52
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #1111 on: February 26, 2018, 11:09:36 PM »
I hear those sounds just about every winter on the local ponds, usually when the air has suddenly warmed up.  There isn't anything on the ice at the time, it's just sections of the ice cracking and the rest of the ice acting like a drum.

Pmt111500

« Reply #1112 on: February 27, 2018, 05:17:49 AM »
Yep, nothing much special about the sounds. The fellow skating on ice that makes the sound is though. That's inviting a fall-through. I guess he's wearing a divers' scuba suit under clothing.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 06:21:55 AM by Pmt111500 »

Peter Ellis

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 33
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #1113 on: February 27, 2018, 11:14:28 AM »
This is considered nuts by most finns and swedes too, I guess. More common is to throw small rocks sliding on the ice to get the sound.

Crikey, look at 1:40 as he goes past the camera and you can see the whole surface flexing under his weight.

Sleepy

• Nilas ice
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 120
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1114 on: February 27, 2018, 01:48:41 PM »
Yep, he's nuts. :)
Been shovelling snow for the past two hours, apparent temperature -20°C. That's enough for me, but at least I'm still here.
http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-magazine-monitor-30119410
Omnia mirari, etiam tritissima.
-
Science is a jealous mistress and takes little account of a man's feelings.

silkman

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 58
« Reply #1115 on: February 27, 2018, 02:29:18 PM »
Despite warnings of a Siberian snowmageddon here in the UK I just spent 10 minutes clearing my drive of a couple of centimetres of light snow here on the edge of the Peak District. BBC reporters around the country are reporting in detail on the simple fact that it's a bit chilly out there. Meanwhile flights are delayed and schools are closed.

We're clearly a bunch of great big softies :)

P-maker

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 72
« Reply #1116 on: February 27, 2018, 04:11:52 PM »
"Galmandsværk" should always be avoided, whether it is snow shovelling, black ice skating or messing with the global climate.

SteveMDFP

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 583
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #1117 on: February 27, 2018, 05:01:26 PM »
Despite warnings of a Siberian snowmageddon here in the UK I just spent 10 minutes clearing my drive of a couple of centimetres of light snow here on the edge of the Peak District. BBC reporters around the country are reporting in detail on the simple fact that it's a bit chilly out there. Meanwhile flights are delayed and schools are closed.

We're clearly a bunch of great big softies :)

In places like ours that only occasionally snow, many drivers seem to be utterly incompetent and cause accidents when only a few snowflakes are on the road.  Closing schools may be prudent.

I'm quite sure autonomous vehicles will be more intelligent than human drivers in such conditions.  I eagerly await their roll-out.

Driving in the snow won't be their great challenge.  Dealing with incompetent human drivers will test the limits of artificial intelligence.

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: February 27, 2018, 06:11:13 PM »
I wondered what "Galmandsværk" meant.  Google Translate said it (from Danish) meant "Galmandsværk" in English!  Boy, that cleared things up.

Further searching reveals this exchange:
Interviewer:
Lets talk about your brand new and upcoming album “Galmandsværk” (“act of madness”), a solo project where you, for the first time, are using your real name Uffe Lorenzen. Why the album title and why use your real name at this point in your career?
Artist:
Actually, the proper translation would be “the work of a madman” but it has double meanings as “gal” can mean both mad as in crazy or mad as in angry in Danish. Also, its a very old expression and unique for Danish language that it is one word. No other language has a word like that as far as I know.

I've skated on new inch-thick ice.  Quite a wonderful experience; but best done when small.
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

Peter Ellis

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 33
« Reply #1119 on: February 27, 2018, 06:14:35 PM »
I'm quite sure autonomous vehicles will be more intelligent than human drivers in such conditions.

I'm sure they will be - and also MUCH stupider than human drivers in other conditions. At the moment they're like the T-Rex in Jurassic Park: if you're not moving, they can't see you.  It's how they determine what's just background, and what they need to watch out for - and it works right up to the point they accelerate into a stationary fire truck.
https://www.wired.com/story/tesla-autopilot-why-crash-radar/

All visual systems have bugs, as evidenced by various optical illusions, change blindness, etc.  Machine vision is no exception.  What fools us won't fool a car, and what fools a car won't fool us. And that's just detecting the surroundings, let alone appropriate decision making.
https://nerdist.com/trap-a-self-driving-car/

Then there's the security perspective.  Do I trust any computer manufacturer to make a system that can't be defeated by appropriate malware?  Malware that could be as simple and portable banner flung over a bridge with an image that crashes the vision software at 70mph...

I don't think the future will be autonomous, ever.  Rather, it will be a case of mutual assistance.  Each different technology - human wetware vs machine circuits - will have its own "blind spots". Use both, and they complement each other's deficiencies. So you get ABS, lane monitoring, intelligent routing, traffic updates, etc - but you also have a human in the loop to see the things the car can't, and cope with the stuff that's outside its programming.

Sebastian Jones

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 214
  • Likes Given: 158
« Reply #1120 on: February 27, 2018, 07:34:03 PM »
The unprecedented lack of sea ice in the Bering Sea this winter has been getting plenty of attention on the forum. I came across this face book post from Diomede Island, in the middle of the Bering Straits. Mid february, it is always ice bound....until this year. Turn on the volume and listen to the waves crashing into the community and to the reaction from the villagers.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/152751678184818/permalink/1488269024633070/

Sleepy

• Nilas ice
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: February 28, 2018, 09:25:34 AM »
I don't think the future will be autonomous, ever.
Neither do I, there are some weird things to solve, also when it comes to legislation.

No wonder I looked like a Yeti yesterday after sholvelling snow.  ;D
Still green though in the southern parts.
-

pikaia

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 121
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #1122 on: February 28, 2018, 10:52:46 AM »

Pavel

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 48
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #1123 on: March 05, 2018, 06:08:33 PM »
The south coast of the Baltic sea, Kaliningrad, Russia, this weekend

charles_oil

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 38
  • Likes Given: 74
« Reply #1124 on: March 14, 2018, 09:33:22 PM »

https://www.defense.gov/News/Article/Article/1464840/arctic-deployed-navy-submarines-participate-in-ice-exercise-2018/

The submarine USS Connecticut and fast-attack submarine USS Hartford breakthrough the ice in support of Ice Exercise 2018 near Ice Camp Skate in the Arctic Circle, March 10, 2018. ICEX 2018 is a five-week exercise that allows the Navy to assess its operational readiness in the Arctic, increase experience in the region, advance understanding of the Arctic environment and continue to develop relationships with other services, allies and partner organizations. Navy photo by Petty Officer 2nd Class Micheal H. Lee
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 11:40:51 PM by charles_oil »

Sleepy

• Nilas ice
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1125 on: March 15, 2018, 01:24:51 PM »
A heard of reindeer driven through central Luleå for the first time in 50 years.
https://www.svt.se/nyheter/lokalt/norrbotten/har-drivs-renhjorden-genom-centrala-lulea
They will return in a couple of weeks.
Click on "Visa alla" at the picture in the link for a few more pictures.
-

Pmt111500

« Reply #1126 on: March 18, 2018, 06:06:14 PM »
Missed the sunset by a quarter, but got the plane instead. Flat river ice from extrusion and freezing of meltwater on top of earlier ice

numerobis

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: March 21, 2018, 11:26:24 PM »
I just had a grey day on this side of Frobisher Bay, being jealous of the sunny other side. Then the sun popped out from between the clouds and the horizon.

The daylight gets 6.5 minutes longer every day around the equinox. It moves even faster higher up in the Arctic. Spring is definitely here.

(And the forecast for tonight is -30)

romett1

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 32
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #1128 on: March 29, 2018, 05:50:09 PM »
We are watching those cloud streets heading south from Svalbard, meanwhile in Nordkapp, Norway - conditions and the risk of big avalanches is extremely high in several parts of Norway and is still increasing due to continuous snowfall there. Some roads have been closed in several days in a row and some shops within isolated areas are running out of some sorts of food. Photo: Camilla Daae-Qvale via Severe Weather Scandinavia.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 06:14:04 PM by romett1 »

Dharma Rupa

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 52
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #1129 on: March 29, 2018, 11:07:20 PM »
We are watching those cloud streets heading south from Svalbard, meanwhile in Nordkapp, Norway - conditions and the risk of big avalanches is extremely high in several parts of Norway and is still increasing due to continuous snowfall there. Some roads have been closed in several days in a row and some shops within isolated areas are running out of some sorts of food. Photo: Camilla Daae-Qvale via Severe Weather Scandinavia.

I should feel guilty for this, but somehow that picture can say nothing else to me:

charles_oil

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: March 30, 2018, 01:06:04 AM »

Romett - Amazing picture - between the devil and the deep blue sea .....

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1012
  • Likes Given: 1034
« Reply #1131 on: March 30, 2018, 03:34:47 PM »
will we ever get the 'what happens next?' update ?
Conflict is the root of all evil , for being blind it does not see whom it attacks . Yet it always attacks the Son Of God , and the Son of God is you .

romett1

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 32
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #1132 on: March 31, 2018, 02:49:51 PM »
will we ever get the 'what happens next?' update ?
After image is here - not the same place, but highway between Kvalsund and Hammerfest on Friday. Serious warnings still in effect, as snow still coming down (from Svalbard / Barents region). Photo: Tore Nilsen / NTB Scanpix.

charles_oil

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: March 31, 2018, 11:56:53 PM »

Series of amazing Iceberg related images here:

http://avannaa.org/?page_id=569

The artist is planning to be on the Barneo ice camp this year.

Pmt111500

« Reply #1134 on: April 01, 2018, 01:24:36 AM »
Spring is about to commence around here so possibly no more images from here before Dec-2018.

Pmt111500

« Reply #1135 on: April 03, 2018, 03:20:23 PM »
See, spring?  :P ;D 8). Really, it's mainly observable on southern slopes yet.

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: April 03, 2018, 05:23:01 PM »

litesong

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 20
  • Likes Given: 33
« Reply #1137 on: April 06, 2018, 12:16:28 AM »
Reminds me of the song
When it's springtime in Alaska, it's 40 below.
Any musical lyrics about thawing in December or January?

Sleepy

• Nilas ice
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: April 06, 2018, 06:12:58 AM »
Back to normal and spring in Stockholm two days ago, you don't need to understand the language to get the picture.
-

Pmt111500

« Reply #1139 on: April 06, 2018, 12:51:29 PM »
Yep, definitely spring. One day of sun and another day rain, and you can see it's a beach. A bit cold yet, though. Ice is probably still about a foot thick but I'm not going to check it.

Sleepy

• Nilas ice
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1140 on: April 09, 2018, 07:31:17 AM »
+20°C here yesterday. Been away for the weekend but still found some time to prune some apple trees yesterday afternoon. Missis with the secateurs and me with the chainsaw, electric of course...
Here's a less nice, not very Arctic (Bømlo is on the Norwegian west coast), image.  :(
https://www.bt.no/nyheter/lokalt/i/gPB4k0/--Forst-reagerte-jeg-med-stor-overraskelse-Deretter-folte-jeg-bare-vemmelse-
-

numerobis

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: April 09, 2018, 09:36:28 PM »
Monday last week I was stuck in a cabin in a wind storm. It was above freezing out, bright and sunny... with winds forecast to be 50 gusting to 90 km/h. We don't have accurate measurement of the conditions at the cabin. Certainly it was tricky going to the outhouse, and that was the only reason pressing enough to go outside (that and picking up a BBQ grill that was blowing away, with the propane tank thankfully still attached).

I managed to take a video while standing in the lee of the cabin. It took a couple takes to make a 10s video where I didn't lose my balance.

numerobis

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: April 09, 2018, 10:16:14 PM »
Ugh, I thought I'd picked the right format to have it stream off the page here.

Sleepy

• Nilas ice
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: April 10, 2018, 09:34:18 AM »
Are you on a MAC numerobis? Let's try this, your video is a lot nicer than that ugly picture I posted above.
-

Kate

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 10
  • Likes Given: 133
« Reply #1144 on: April 10, 2018, 12:41:22 PM »
Worldview is awesome

numerobis

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: April 11, 2018, 04:28:21 PM »
OK, I'll try mp4 next time. Regardless your platform you can use Handbreak (open-source) to convert.

I need to take photography lessons to learn how to take in the northern lights. Gorgeous last night: you could see the white aurora turned ruddy from the last glow of twilight.

Pmt111500

« Reply #1146 on: April 11, 2018, 05:07:02 PM »
I need to take photography lessons to learn how to take in the northern lights. Gorgeous last night: you could see the white aurora turned ruddy from the last glow of twilight.
If you have a proper camera and a stand it's not hard. The sensitivity of human eyesight corresponds to about ISO800 f.4 and 10sec ... With a ~ normal 45mm lens. Of course if you want to film those auroras the equipment needed becomes rather expensive very fast. With high to very high ISO and a short length objective you can drop the exposure time, but probably not enough to get along without the stand. With a regular camera it's easy to go beyond normal eyesight, but what would be the point. Unless you're trying to get a photo that has a dot in the place where Neptune is. Sensitive cameras should be able to do that, and Uranus is an easy target for these. True astrophotography is though out of scope,, of course and requires tracking devices. And read some about ccd-noise and how to minimize it, this becomes more important at high ISO.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 07:18:43 PM by Pmt111500 »

Niall Dollard

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 460
  • Likes Given: 117
« Reply #1147 on: April 11, 2018, 08:55:44 PM »
Tanana River, Alaska. Scene of the Annual Nenana Ice Classic.

http://www.nenanaakiceclassic.com/index.htm

Update on April 2nd:

The ice is 26.8 inches thick and ten inches thinner than it was in 2017. The reason the ice is thinner is because there was significantly more snow fall this year which insulated the ice.

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: April 11, 2018, 09:17:35 PM »
2018 Nenana Ice Classic
Not paying $2.50  :P, but April 22 at 3:30 pm. (early break-up date, typical time of day)

numerobis

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: April 14, 2018, 12:45:23 AM »
My phone on default settings can pick up aurora as a smudge, so I don’t think I need even a 10s exposure.