Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Places becoming less livable  (Read 476191 times)

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1153
  • Likes Given: 430
Re: Places becoming less livable
« Reply #450 on: February 27, 2018, 04:57:41 PM »
Places becoming “less livable” due to climate-change-induced economics....

“NEW REPORT: Thanks to climate change, in low snow years, local US mountain economies lost over $1 billion and 17,400 jobs. Read more @protectwinters....”
https://twitter.com/ClimateNexus/status/968279543051177984
Image and link below.

The winter sports economy is important for the vitality of U.S. mountain communities. This report shows the urgency for the US to deploy solutions to reduce emissions and presents a roadmap for the winter sports industry to take a leading role in advocating for solutions.
https://protectourwinters.org/2018-economic-report/
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

Daniel B.

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #451 on: February 27, 2018, 06:08:43 PM »
U.S.

If people walked around in air-conditioned spacesuits when the temperature soared to 130 degrees or higher in Arizona, they would have no trouble. "But who wants to live that way? And who can afford it?"

Welcome to the Age of Climate Migration
Extreme weather due to climate change displaced more than a million people from their homes last year. It could soon reshape the nation
https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/welcome-to-the-age-of-climate-migration-w516974

Not overly impressed with this article.  They claim that by 2080, 29 states will be winners in the "great climate migrate," while 12 states will be losers.  The rest will see little change.

Shared Humanity

« Reply #452 on: February 28, 2018, 12:02:40 AM »
U.S.

If people walked around in air-conditioned spacesuits when the temperature soared to 130 degrees or higher in Arizona, they would have no trouble. "But who wants to live that way? And who can afford it?"

Welcome to the Age of Climate Migration
Extreme weather due to climate change displaced more than a million people from their homes last year. It could soon reshape the nation
https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/welcome-to-the-age-of-climate-migration-w516974

Not overly impressed with this article.  They claim that by 2080, 29 states will be winners in the "great climate migrate," while 12 states will be losers.  The rest will see little change.

Sure, a quarter of the country suffers devastating economic impacts from climate change forcing millions of refugees to flee to other areas of the country.

Why worry?

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
« Reply #453 on: February 28, 2018, 12:48:32 AM »
In the gun-happy U.S.of A., what could possibly go wrong?  :-X
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

Alexander555

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 185
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #454 on: March 01, 2018, 01:20:07 AM »
More extreme temperatures, more floodings, more extreme rainfall, more and longer droughts......

http://the-japan-news.com/news/article/0004273964

Alexander555

• Young ice
    • View Profile

Alexander555

• Young ice
    • View Profile

numerobis

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #457 on: March 02, 2018, 03:04:36 PM »
Nice article in the Guardian about impacts on an Inupiaq community:
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/mar/02/alaska-climate-change-indigenous-hunting

Including note of their recent ice break-up.

Alexander555

• Young ice
    • View Profile

Alexander555

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: March 04, 2018, 09:05:37 PM »
The result of cheap mass tourism. Mountains of trash, all seaweed and coral died from sewage from the hotels.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: March 18, 2018, 02:47:51 PM »
Half of New York City is now designated a hurricane evacuation zone.
https://twitter.com/cityatlas/status/974794493806424069

...The history of the city is partly to blame; much of the expansion was into former wetlands, or landfill dumped into the harbor & then built on. Perimeter of Lower Manhattan was thus made wider than the natural island.

... the stat is 147 square miles, which is approximately half of NYC's land area. Here's is the Office of Emergency Management map; the colored areas are the evac zones. http://www.nyc.gov/html/oem/downloads/pdf/hurricane_map_english.pdf

https://twitter.com/cityatlas/status/974837481014267904

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: March 19, 2018, 02:36:39 PM »
"I had 90 metres between me and the sea when I first came here only two years ago, and now I've only got nine feet.”

Norfolk, U.K.
Hemsby cliff-top homes 'perilously close' to edge
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-england-norfolk-43442176

Archimid

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 899
  • Likes Given: 206
« Reply #462 on: March 19, 2018, 09:43:21 PM »
"I had 90 metres between me and the sea when I first came here only two years ago, and now I've only got nine feet.”

What's a few millimeters anyway.
I am an energy reservoir seemingly intent on lowering entropy for self preservation.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5289
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #463 on: March 20, 2018, 10:12:33 AM »
“We know that humans have most flourished during time of warming trends. I think there are assumptions made that because the climate is warming, that that necessarily is a bad thing." Scott Pruitt February 2018

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2018/mar/20/phoenix-least-sustainable-city-survive-water

Plight of Phoenix: how long can the world’s 'least sustainable' city survive?

Phoenix and its surrounding area is known as the Valley of the Sun, and downtown Phoenix – which in 2017 overtook Philadelphia as America’s fifth-largest city – is easily walkable, with restaurants, bars and an evening buzz. But it is a modern shrine to towering concrete, and gives way to endless sprawl that stretches up to 35 miles away to places like Anthem. The area is still growing – and is dangerously overstretched, experts warn.

“There are plans for substantial further growth and there just isn’t the water to support that,” says climate researcher Jonathan Overpeck, who co-authored a 2017 report that linked declining flows in the Colorado river to climate change. “The Phoenix metro area is on the cusp of being dangerously overextended. It’s the urban bullseye for global warming in North America.”

One of those plans is Bill Gates’s new “smart city”. The Microsoft founder recently invested $80m (£57m) in a development firm that aims to construct 80,000 new homes on undeveloped land west of Phoenix, and a new freeway all the way to Las Vegas.
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

Daniel B.

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: March 20, 2018, 01:57:37 PM »
Ah, the travails of building a metropolis in the desert.

Shared Humanity

« Reply #465 on: March 20, 2018, 08:34:55 PM »

One of those plans is Bill Gates’s new “smart city”. The Microsoft founder recently invested $80m (£57m) in a development firm that aims to construct 80,000 new homes on undeveloped land west of Phoenix, and a new freeway all the way to Las Vegas.

I don't think smart means what Bill Gates thinks it means.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #466 on: March 21, 2018, 02:08:49 AM »

I don't think smart means what Bill Gates thinks it means.
Ramen!
Terry

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: March 26, 2018, 07:12:14 PM »
Australia

DARWIN is going to get hotter and people will die as a result, a group of Australian climate scientists have warned.

Scientists from the Australia Institute yesterday delivered to the NT Government a report which showed the number of Darwin days with a maximum temperature of 35C or above will reach 132 by 2030 “without drastic reductions in greenhouse gas emissions”.  The number of 35C days has already increased fourfold from 5.6 days per year early last century to 22 days per year since 2012, according to their report.

Liz Hanna from the Centre for Epidemiology and Population Health at Australian National University said lives would be lost should the CSIRO modelling prove accurate.  “It’s almost tantamount to suicide for a nation to keep making this situation worse by considering increasing the carbon dioxide we’re going to put in the atmosphere,” she said.  The effect on warm parts of the globe such as North Australia would be “devastating”, she said.  “This puts a real challenge on how people function. Can we work in a world as we know now in terms of going out shopping, working, picking up the children without putting lives at serious risk?”

TAI principal adviser Mark Ogge warned the Territory Government against opening up the NT for fracking.  “It’s a crazy idea to be opening up a massive amount of new carbon in shale gas in the NT,” he said.  “We think it would be really irresponsible to do that when the NT itself and the rest of the world is facing these incredible challenges with global warming.”  Mr Ogge said industries including tourism, construction, and agriculture would likely suffer in a warmer NT.

Former CSIRO atmospheric research chief Graeme Pearman said while Australia might be a small contributor to emissions globally, we should still play our part to reduce emissions. Prof Pearman said global warming would “absolutely” lead to more cyclones in the Top End, due to increased moisture in the atmosphere.  Storms would become more intense, he said.

Chief Minister Michael Gunner said Australia and the NT needed to “do our bit”.

The NT Government is expected to make a decision as to whether to lift its fracking moratorium early next month.
https://twitter.com/climatecouncil/status/978179898413125632

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: April 01, 2018, 06:30:24 PM »
In Alaska, a town threatened by climate change gets federal funding to relocate
The village of Newtok has been trying relocate to safer ground for decades.
Mar 23, 2018, 2:45 pm

The small coastal village of Newtok, Alaska has secured more than $15 million in funding to begin relocating households to safer ground inland. The funding is part of the $1.3 trillion spending bill signed Friday.

This amount, however, is still just a fraction of what’s required to relocate the whole village.

Located along the banks of the Ninglick River, the land on which the community of roughly 350 people lives has been eroding away since the late 1950s. They have been trying to relocate since 1994 but securing funding has remained elusive and the effects of climate change — sea level rise, stronger storms, and melting permafrost — have made the situation increasingly urgent. ...
https://thinkprogress.org/newtok-alaska-gets-relocation-funding-35b4434242a6/

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: April 09, 2018, 01:54:03 PM »
Senagal

With damage now unavoidable, Senegal's government and the World Bank are mobilising to resettle nearly 10,000 people from the city's riskiest zone.

Senegal city races to move families as sea swallows homes
http://news.trust.org/item/20180403060036-3gh8d/

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: April 16, 2018, 05:07:28 PM »
I’ll just put this here, for contemplative purposes....

Asteroid 2018 GE3 flew past us today, half the distance to the Moon. Around 50-100 m in diameter, it was several times the 2013 Chelyabinsk meteor, around the size of the 1908 Tunguska event ~ easily enough to destroy a city. We had less than a day's warning. (Michael Jäger)
https://twitter.com/marsrader/status/985711894060134406

Video at the link.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
« Reply #471 on: April 16, 2018, 08:20:02 PM »
We had less than a day's warning. (Michael Jäger)

Well, why didn't ya tell us earlier, Mr Jäger!
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: April 17, 2018, 02:27:30 AM »

Damn those asteroid deniers!  They won’t take any action until they are 100% sure it will hit, and be bad.

;)

Shared Humanity

« Reply #473 on: April 17, 2018, 08:41:35 PM »
I always found the disaster movies where we send up rockets to blow up approaching asteroids laughable. We could shoot a more accurate movie but it would be pretty boring.

Scene 1: Announce to the world we're going to all be killed by an asteroid in less than 24 hours.
Scene 2: Everyone running around hysterically.
Scene 3: We all die.

Hefaistos

« Reply #474 on: April 17, 2018, 09:36:57 PM »
I always found the disaster movies where we send up rockets to blow up approaching asteroids laughable. We could shoot a more accurate movie but it would be pretty boring.

Scene 1: Announce to the world we're going to all be killed by an asteroid in less than 24 hours.

Oh, come on, we've still got Bruce Willis and his team for those things, haven't we.

https://www.space.com/17153-asteroid-impact-bruce-willis-armageddon.html

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #475 on: April 17, 2018, 09:53:09 PM »

They made that movie. Don't recall the name but it took place in Toronto and starred Sandra Oh.
Terry

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: April 17, 2018, 11:01:33 PM »
The thread is called "places becoming less livable". It is interesting that we all interpret that as less livable for us, i.e. humanity.

Of course we are making a vast proportion of the biosphere less liveable for - life  - in all its forms. I can live quite comfortably in my little bit of Middle England. It seems that for most insects, increasingly birds, and all sorts of other wildlife my little bit of Middle England is getting very much unliveable.

Shared Humanity

« Reply #477 on: April 17, 2018, 11:12:19 PM »
The thread is called "places becoming less livable". It is interesting that we all interpret that as less livable for us, i.e. humanity.

Of course we are making a vast proportion of the biosphere less liveable for - life  - in all its forms. I can live quite comfortably in my little bit of Middle England. It seems that for most insects, increasingly birds, and all sorts of other wildlife my little bit of Middle England is getting very much unliveable.

Science has allowed for humans to essentially separate ourselves and our ability to thrive from the environment in which we inhabit. A simple example would be the use of air conditioning, allowing us to live in areas where temps would make it difficult or impossible. A more complex one and far more pervasive is the harnessing of fossil fuels to raise dramatically the carrying capacity of the biosphere. We are able to access deep aquifers through mechanized pumping and increase crop yields through the application of fossil fuel based fertilizers, pesticides and mechanization. We than use more fossil fuels to transport these surplus agricultural products across the planet to feed people in areas where local crop production would not support the local population. As we are doing this, we are making that same environment more hostile for other living things. This is not sustainable.

Coffee Drinker

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 12
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #478 on: April 18, 2018, 03:19:41 AM »

Don't think that would be a boring movie at all. Would provide some fresh air to the genre.

Coffee Drinker

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: April 18, 2018, 03:21:02 AM »

Damn those asteroid deniers!  They won’t take any action until they are 100% sure it will hit, and be bad.

;)

LOL  ;D

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #480 on: April 21, 2018, 09:55:29 PM »
"Our professional opinion is that the outcome is uncertain, and it is in your hands," he said, to audible gasps from the audience.

Miami Beach's future is 'uncertain,' experts say, but sea rise pumps are a good start
Miami Beach's $500 million attempt to elevate and pump itself out of sea level rise's path has drawn criticism, but an expert panel concluded Thursday that the city's doing what it needs to survive.

The question of Miami Beach's future, whether the community stands a chance in the face of rising seas, was an unspoken theme in every interview the panel held this week, said Mark Osler, a national practice leader in Coastal Science and Engineering with Michael Baker International.

"Our professional opinion is that the outcome is uncertain, and it is in your hands," he said, to audible gasps from the audience. Osler said the panel believes the city has a future if the public and the government work together on solutions and don't let up on the push to enact them. ...
http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/miami-beach/article209328849.html

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: April 23, 2018, 12:25:02 AM »
U.S.

As seas rise, South Carolina legislators move to derail tighter limits on coastal development
https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/news/2018/04/19/seas-rise-sc-legislators-move-derail-tighter-limits-coastal-development/531442002/

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1047
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #482 on: April 23, 2018, 05:42:36 AM »
They gonna look at the South Carolina legislation again in 2024. I guess they feel lucky, plan on riding out the next six years without a hurricane ...

sidd

Sleepy

• Nilas ice
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 120
« Reply #483 on: April 23, 2018, 08:18:37 AM »
I wish them the best of luck. Also remembering early forecasts from both ECMWF and GFS last year, that had Irma making landfall in Myrtle Beach. Saved this image then.
Omnia mirari, etiam tritissima.
-
Science is a jealous mistress and takes little account of a man's feelings.

Daniel B.

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: April 23, 2018, 05:04:59 PM »
"Our professional opinion is that the outcome is uncertain, and it is in your hands," he said, to audible gasps from the audience.

Miami Beach's future is 'uncertain,' experts say, but sea rise pumps are a good start
Miami Beach's $500 million attempt to elevate and pump itself out of sea level rise's path has drawn criticism, but an expert panel concluded Thursday that the city's doing what it needs to survive.

The question of Miami Beach's future, whether the community stands a chance in the face of rising seas, was an unspoken theme in every interview the panel held this week, said Mark Osler, a national practice leader in Coastal Science and Engineering with Michael Baker International.

"Our professional opinion is that the outcome is uncertain, and it is in your hands," he said, to audible gasps from the audience. Osler said the panel believes the city has a future if the public and the government work together on solutions and don't let up on the push to enact them. ...
http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/miami-beach/article209328849.html

The future's uncertain, and the end is always near. - Jim Morrison

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: April 23, 2018, 08:51:10 PM »
Prices of homes on lower ground are rising at a slower pace than those at higher elevations, and properties closer to the ocean are trading at 7 percent discount compared to similar homes that are more inland.

Miami home prices are feeling the impact of sea level rise, new research suggests
https://therealdeal.com/miami/2018/04/20/miami-home-prices-are-feeling-the-impact-of-sea-level-rise-new-research-suggests/

Shared Humanity

« Reply #486 on: April 23, 2018, 11:19:32 PM »
Prices of homes on lower ground are rising at a slower pace than those at higher elevations, and properties closer to the ocean are trading at 7 percent discount compared to similar homes that are more inland.

Miami home prices are feeling the impact of sea level rise, new research suggests
https://therealdeal.com/miami/2018/04/20/miami-home-prices-are-feeling-the-impact-of-sea-level-rise-new-research-suggests/

If they hold true to form, the Florida Legislature will pass laws prohibiting home buyers from discounting their offer to a home seller just because they believe in AGW.

Coffee Drinker

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: April 24, 2018, 01:45:24 AM »
Does Miami have flood maps? In Australia those flood maps have quite an impact on houses prices already.

Sleepy

• Nilas ice
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 120
« Reply #488 on: April 24, 2018, 11:35:06 AM »
Nice to see some action taken.
The County Administrative Board in Skåne stops Kristianstad municipality's plans to allow larger houses at the Helge ridge outlet in the sea south of Yngsjö.
https://sverigesradio.se/sida/artikel.aspx?programid=101&artikel=6936767
Use translate for the rest if you wish.

Kristianstad also has the lowest ground level in Sweden, former seabed:
http://www.vattenriket.kristianstad.se/plats/lagsta_punkten.php
Omnia mirari, etiam tritissima.
-
Science is a jealous mistress and takes little account of a man's feelings.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: April 24, 2018, 01:42:24 PM »
Does Miami have flood maps? In Australia those flood maps have quite an impact on houses prices already.

FEMA does them and so do private providers:-
https://www.mapwise.com/maps/florida/hazards.php

URL of the demo vide0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37o5rN-tgFM&feature=youtu.be

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: April 24, 2018, 02:07:19 PM »

FEMA does them and so do private providers:-
https://www.mapwise.com/maps/florida/hazards.php

URL of the demo vide0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37o5rN-tgFM&feature=youtu.be

The private providers want your money!

FEMA - https://www.fema.gov/flood-mapping-products

"This page provides an overview of the FEMA Flood Map Service Center (MSC), points to some of FEMA’s flood mapping products, and provides a link to the full list of mapping products. The information on this page is intended for members of the general public and anyone looking to obtain FEMA flood hazard mapping products or information. For additional information on flood risk, visit the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) page on FEMA.gov/national-flood-insurance-program.

To find your community's flood map and other products, visit the MSC."

BUT:- When I click on the MSC link what do I get

This site can’t be reached
msc.fema.gov took too long to respond.
Try:

Checking the connection
Checking the proxy and the firewall
Running Windows Network Diagnostics
ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT

Best of luck - I give up.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: April 24, 2018, 05:09:17 PM »
...properties closer to the ocean are trading at 7 percent discount compared to similar homes that are more inland.

This is what shocked me.  It seems a basic tenet of the real estate market is undergoing radical change.

Daniel B.

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: April 24, 2018, 06:58:55 PM »
...properties closer to the ocean are trading at 7 percent discount compared to similar homes that are more inland.

This is what shocked me.  It seems a basic tenet of the real estate market is undergoing radical change.

Not shocking at all.  Basic tenet of supply and demand.  Those homes in higher demand will command a higher price.

dnem

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 319
  • Likes Given: 278
« Reply #493 on: April 24, 2018, 08:32:41 PM »
C'mon Daniel. It's not shocking that price is responding to reduced demand.  What is a "sea change" is that demand for coastal real state - which is in essentially fixed supply - is falling due to an increased in perceived risk. 

Daniel B.

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: April 24, 2018, 10:17:26 PM »
C'mon Daniel. It's not shocking that price is responding to reduced demand.  What is a "sea change" is that demand for coastal real state - which is in essentially fixed supply - is falling due to an increased in perceived risk.

The article also mentioned the high cost of flood insurance.

Archimid

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #495 on: April 24, 2018, 10:18:33 PM »
Thats what's so funny. The market DGAF about climate change denial. If flooding happens more often, housing prices will drop period. Sure, typically dishonest climate change deniers might deceive  a few unaware saps into buying where they shouldn't,  but the market will prevail regardless of how deep deniers bury their heads.
I am an energy reservoir seemingly intent on lowering entropy for self preservation.

Archimid

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: April 25, 2018, 03:22:46 AM »
Crossposted to Sea Level Rise thread.

In Maryland Sea Level Rise Is Happening Now

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: April 25, 2018, 01:39:27 PM »
A place that has become unliveable - for once not due to man's activities.

Ambae, one of the islands of the Vanuatu archipelago, has a volcano- Monaro- that has always been active but is now destroying the habitat.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/apr/25/vanuatu-landslide-and-flash-flood-hampers-relief-effort-on-ambae
A landslide and flash flood on the Vanuatu island of Ambae is complicating evacuation efforts, with as many as 800 people now sheltering in emergency relief centres.

Ambae Island is home to 11,000 people, and for the second time in six months Manaro volcano on top of Mount Lombenben has started rumbling, spewing torrents of ash, gas and rocks from its crater. The debris is causing breathing and health problems, and threatening livelihoods by burying vegetable plots and crops.

The government has declared a three-month state of emergency while it works with non-governmental organisations to safely evacuate the island and secure new homes for displaced islanders who may never be able to return.

Acting prime minister Jean Pierre Nirua said Vanuatu was the most vulnerable country in the world to natural disasters, and was currently stretched by responding to the clean-up of last month’s cyclone Hola and the unfolding Ambae emergency.

According to the Vanuatu meteorology and geohazards department the volcano remains at level three, with a danger zone surrounding the cone of three kilometres.

Due to eruption activity the cone of the volcano had widened, resulting in ash fall, gas, and acid rain, as well as a heightened risk of landslides and flash floods.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: April 25, 2018, 05:53:46 PM »
A place that has become unliveable - for once not due to man's activities.

Ambae, one of the islands of the Vanuatu archipelago, has a volcano- Monaro- that has always been active but is now destroying the habitat.

See also:  Volcanoes thread:  https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php/topic,2164.msg150170.html

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: April 25, 2018, 05:59:05 PM »
Joe Romm on the property value studies.

The trillion-dollar coastal property bubble is ready to burst, per new study
Rising seas hit U.S. coastal property values: "A pricing signal from climate change."
A second, broader study, “Disaster on the Horizon: The Price Effect of Sea Level Rise,” found that “Homes exposed to sea level” are being priced 7 percent lower than homes that are the same distance from the beach, but that are less exposed to flooding.

The study, which used Zillow data from around the country, concluded that the pricing gap between riskier homes and safer homes was being driven by the “more sophisticated investors.” For that group, the gap is about “11 percent and has increased over time, coinciding with the release of new scientific evidence on the extent and timing of ocean encroachment.”

The trillion-dollar coastal property bubble is ready to burst
The economic risks from rising seas are enormous — but the Trump administration’s policies all but guarantee a worst-case scenario plays out.

A 2014 Reuters analysis of this “slow-motion disaster” calculated there’s almost $1.25 trillion in coastal property whose value is being propped up by the National Flood Insurance Program’s below-market rates.

“The risk will rise as sea levels rise, and when that happens, you’d expect your property value to fall,” as Lloyd Dixon, the director of the RAND Center for Catastrophic Risk Management and Compensation, explained in October. “At some point, the property becomes worthless.” ...
https://thinkprogress.org/rising-seas-hit-u-s-coastal-property-values-a-pricing-signal-from-climate-change-848bf4e7443b/