Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: A Storm of Snow Crabs? Barentz Sea.  (Read 4683 times)

JimD

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 0
A Storm of Snow Crabs? Barentz Sea.
« on: July 10, 2013, 07:10:57 PM »
Warming arctic and Antarctic waters will allow the spread of invasive marine species.  Here is an article on the near term prospect that snow crabs will reach the Svalbard Islands and do serious damage to the fragile ecosystems there.  There are probably other species migrating into the cold regions out there as well.  I have read of Grizzly bears mating with Polar bears but since they are related species I am not sure that that counts.

http://barentsobserver.com/en/nature/2013/06/storm-snow-crabs-24-06

Of interesting note there was a study in 2011 on King crabs invading Antarctica.  A brand new study has showed that was incorrect and that populations of King crabs have been established there for millennia. 

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=are-king-crab-invading-antarctic-sea
We do not err because truth is difficult to see. It is visible at a glance. We err because this is more comfortable. Alexander Solzhenitsyn

How is it conceivable that all our technological progress - our very civilization - is like the axe in the hand of the pathological criminal? Albert Einstein

John Batteen

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 60
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: A Storm of Snow Crabs? Barentz Sea.
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 02:37:53 AM »
With regard to the grizzly and polar bear hybrids, they've been dubbed by some as grolar bears.  Second generation hybrids have been found that are 3/4 of one and 1/4 of the other.  Pretty neat stuff.  Purebred polar bears may well go extinct, but their genetic legacy will live on.

JimD

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 04:51:49 PM »
John I have the same reaction to this that you do.  Pretty cool as it is a natural adaptation.

But, sadly, I seem to remember reading that the policy reaction of the Canadian wildlife personnel is to shoot these hybrids as soon as they are identified (though when I just Googled it I could not find a reference). It seems that they are much for ferocious and aggressive than either grizzly or polar bears and are deemed too dangerous.   Hopefully that is not correct.  Best let nature alone.
We do not err because truth is difficult to see. It is visible at a glance. We err because this is more comfortable. Alexander Solzhenitsyn

How is it conceivable that all our technological progress - our very civilization - is like the axe in the hand of the pathological criminal? Albert Einstein

Bruce Steele

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 753
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 04:40:12 PM »
JimD, Re. Snow crabs. The north Atlantic and Atlantic influenced waters of the Arctic Ocean will reach undersaturation later than the Arctic ocean or the north Pacific. From the snow crabs perspective a move into the North Atlantic might be a good move.

Vergent

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 05:18:03 PM »
They should make open season on the snow crabs until the price drops to $1.00/lb.

Vergent  ;D :P