Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Cars, cars and more cars. And trucks, and....  (Read 1471632 times)

NeilT

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 386
  • Likes Given: 22
Re: Cars, cars and more cars. And trucks, and....
« Reply #1550 on: January 25, 2017, 12:12:22 AM »
* And this was before the 400,000 reservations for the Tesla Model 3, which caused Elon Musk to move up his production timeline to 500,000 cars in 2018 and one million in 2020 -- and forced other car companies to acknowledge they had to start electrifying their fleets.

Sorry I replied to this and lost it due to a timeout.

Tesla are currently producing 50,000 cars a year.  To support the new orders and also increase production facilities for the 2018 target, they are going to have to increase production by 10 times in 2.5 years.

Most companies have issues expanding 100%.  Expanding 1000% is a big deal.  They are talking about increasing from being a boutique producer of cars to more cars than BMW USA manufacture in a year with their factories.

That's a big step.

Also, 10,000 new charging stations is a drop in the ocean.  There are over 80 million cars produced each year and more than 240 million cars in the US.  Tell me when they are putting in 500,000 and I'll be convinced that we are even starting to have the infrastructure for them.

Yes it's growing, but it's not going to grow that fast and certainly for it to impact oil, it would need to be something like 30-40 million cars by 2022.  Tesla is talking 1m by 2020.  By 2020, there will be circa 400 million more cars sold in the world which run on carbon based fuels.  Not to mention the 1.2billion cars in 2014 and the estimated 2 billion by 2035.

Whilst it's good to dream, reality says that the current cars on the roads will keep the oil industry fed and watered for some significant time to come.

lets be realistic here.  If we were to get 50m electric cars purchased every year, from 2025, it would take at least 30 - 50 years for electric cars to completely replace fossil fuel.

And we haven't started talking about trucks yet.

Let's be realistic.  EV will start to have a significant impact on fossil fuel cars around 2030 to 2035. Then we can start talking about oil crashes and the demise of the ICE engine.

Personally I prefer to start there and then anything we exceed that by is good news.
Being right too soon is socially unacceptable.

Robert A. Heinlein

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1153
  • Likes Given: 430
« Reply #1551 on: January 25, 2017, 03:00:24 AM »
NeilT,

So you don't see it.  That's OK.  :D

A couple corrections/comments to your post, anyway:

Tesla produced 76,000 cars in 2016.

Given that most owners' primary EV "gas station" will be in their garage, (and the average U.S. mileage is 40 miles/day), most EV owners will readily have all the charging infrastructure they need.  Intra-city charging stations will fill in over the next few years as restaurants, hotels, stores, etc. come to realize a charger in the parking lot gets more customers through their doors.  There are a little over 100,000 gas stations in the U.S., and about 10,000 charging stations thus far.

U.S car sales have flattened in recent years.  Autonomous cars will eliminate the need for car ownership for many folks starting in the next year or two (depending on local regulations, but about 200,000 Tesla cars will be ready with full autonomy by the end of 2017, and other companies are close).

Tesla will show a semi-truck and "a new kind of pickup truck" (and an autonomous mini-van) this spring.  Mercedes has a semi-truck concept, and Nikola One has 7,000 orders for its fuel cell semi.  Short-haul semi-truck EVs (for near-port hauling) already exist: https://chargedevs.com/newswire/orange-ev-now-taking-orders-for-its-new-t-series-electric-terminal-truck/

Now, regarding Tesla:
One really can't compare Tesla with other car companies.  Legacy car companies take 7 years to bring a new car to production, Tesla takes 3.  Tesla built a gigafactory that will soon create more battery capacity than the whole world made in 2013.  The NUMI factory Tesla bought once produced 500,000 cars a year.  Musk figured that he could increase that to 1 million cars a year with increased efficiency.  And that was before he saw the demand for the Model 3, and got permits from Fremont to almost double the size of the plant!  Announcements for the locations of gigafactories 2 and 3 (which will probably manufacture cars as well as batteries) in Europe and China are expected this year.

For the last year or so, Musk has been focussing on the "physics first principle" of manufacturing:
https://medium.com/@mark.tesla2/elon-musk-and-first-principles-thinking-e0035730d7
"The factory capacity is “volume x density x velocity … and we use maybe 2 or 3%.”  He is building his factories with "orders of magnitude" improvements in mind and says the factory he is working toward will look like nothing you've ever seen:  "Alien Dreadnought 2.0."  So, again, not comparable.

He even bought a German engineering firm to help ramp up production.
http://fortune.com/2016/11/08/tesla-buys-german-engineering-firm-to-ramp-production/

Trucks? Money?
When asked about how Tesla would get money to finance the Semis, pickup and Model Y, Musk noted that this was all on a timeline and the Model 3 would be bringing in multiple tens of billions of dollars of revenue ($20B in 2020 alone) over its production run.

Finally:

Adoption?
Electric car ownership 'will be cheaper than conventional vehicles by 2022'.  So anyone not looking to pay a premium for their car will be looking at EVs.  https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/feb/25/electric-cars-will-be-cheaper-than-conventional-vehicles-by-2022.
By that time, charging infrastructure will be ubiquitous, and fast-charging will be the norm, so inconvenience will no longer be a factor of significance to most people.  And any kind of oil shock, or environment regs (after the next election ;) ) will accelerate the switch to EVs.

Autonomy?
Autonomous car services really only make sense with EVs (they can be made to charge themselves; maintenance costs are much cheaper).  Many more people will do without buying a car at all.

Just do it?
The Netherlands and California plan no ICE car sales after 2035.  Germany, after 2030.
Norway, 2025. This is trending sooner, rather than later.

Feel free to reply if you like, but I believe I've said all I would like to say at this point!   ;D
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

DrTskoul

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 210
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #1552 on: January 25, 2017, 03:16:54 AM »
I think you are talking past each other.

Rate of scale-up is a real issue Sig and the numbers are relentless... Cumulative global sales of Prius is less than 4 million as of April 2016. No more than 11 million hybrids since 1996. What makes EVs so special other than fuel option? Because the majority sees it as such...Make them cheep and reliable and then...

Tesla/Mercedes ?

Are we talking about affordable options here? Without an affordable option the masses will stay out....

Musk is not a magician not can he escape physics and the law of exponentials

NeiT, don't underestimate EVs. And don't underestimate stupidity. There are many car execs that still believe H2 fuel cell cars as more viable than EVs.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 03:22:04 AM by DrTskoul »

Zythryn

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 9
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #1553 on: January 25, 2017, 03:57:40 AM »
I think you are talking past each other.

Rate of scale-up is a real issue Sig and the numbers are relentless... Cumulative global sales of Prius is less than 4 million as of April 2016. No more than 11 million hybrids since 1996. What makes EVs so special other than fuel option? Because the majority sees it as such...Make them cheep and reliable and then...

Tesla/Mercedes ?

Are we talking about affordable options here? ...

Hybrids peaked at around 3% market penetration in the U.S.
I expect EVs to surpass that by 2020 and keep going.
Why?  Because hybrids offer one thing, and one thing only above regular cars.  They use less fuel.  While that is good enough for many here, we are in the minority.  Most of the market buys based on performance, drive experience, convenience, number of cup holders and such.

EVs win in performance and drive quality at the same price point.
EVs also beat regular cars for convenience for anyone with charging at home (40-60% of car buyers).

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1108483_hybrid-market-share-peaked-in-2013-down-since-then

As for the ramp up, yes, that will be a huge undertaking.  But Tesla has performed a number of feats they were told were "impossible" and they just keep doing it:)

They also have help.  Although other companies aren't all in like Tesla, they are learning that if they don't go electric, Tesla will eat their lunch.

DrTskoul

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1554 on: January 25, 2017, 04:26:25 AM »
I have not seen a ramp up of that scale yet in anything but small gadgetry. However the proof is in the pudding...So we shall see.. best of luck but I am holding a small basket ( sth to do with a Greek proverb and cherries... )

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1047
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1555 on: January 25, 2017, 05:35:53 AM »
Oil price is set at the margin, the price of the last barrel produced to meet demand.. You dont need to replace anything like all the cars on the road to put a huge beating on oil price. 5% or 10% of yearly production will do more than enuf.

Bloomberg has it right.

NeilT

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1556 on: January 25, 2017, 11:19:18 AM »
NeiT, don't underestimate EVs. And don't underestimate stupidity. There are many car execs that still believe H2 fuel cell cars as more viable than EVs.

I know. I asked the elephant in the room questions when H2 was the darling.  Namely how they were going to create it and then how they were going to distribute it.  I was working at a company that manufactured 90% of the worlds H2 at the time.  So I never underestimate the volume of hype or stupidity.

sidd.  Cars are not the whole picture when you talk about transport fuels. Also you have to factor in that the EU, which is currently about 540 million people and significantly larger than the US, although with lower per person car ownership, is now closing on 50% ownership of diesel cars for the standard family car.  In fact the larger states are 50% or greater for all new car purchases.  Cumulative EV, since 2003, in the EU, is 1.4% of the car stock, which is currently around 280 million.

Also, lest it be forgotten, the oil market is already in a serious crash.  $130 down to $50 and up from lows of $30.  Not that you noticed it at the pump that much.  Except for how fast it rose between $30 and $50, compared to how slowly it fell between $130 and $30.

I'll believe that crash when I see it.  Reduced consumption of carbon fuels would tend to trend towards higher prices, not lower.

Not that I don't want this to happen.  I just prefer to keep my dreams on the subject even mildly realistic.  You might also want to go and look up the state of the electricity generating capacity in the EU as well.  That will tell you a lot about the capabilities to support enough EV to cause a fuel price crash.

Robert A. Heinlein

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1557 on: January 25, 2017, 03:54:16 PM »
So, writing about EVs is much more fun than writing about what's happening elsewhere in the U.S. right now, so I wrote this: ;D

I think we all agree the switch to EVs is happening -- just not fast enough.  It's all about the timing of the growth!  Musk talks frequently about the difficulty of estimating when a particular volume will be achieved when you are looking at an exponential curve....

"Increasing volumes" has been the crux of the Tesla Master Plan from the beginning:  succeed first with luxury cars, which have always demanded the same (high) price range required to build the early excellent-quality EVs that will entice new customers to the product.  Then, use profits (and cachet) from those cars to evolve into the mass market.

Here's the Tesla Master Plan from 2006:
https://www.tesla.com/blog/secret-tesla-motors-master-plan-just-between-you-and-me

Is Musk succeeding?  Let's look at how the cars are doing in their own market.  In the luxury sedan category, U.S. sales of traditional ICE brands are lower, except a couple with new models out this year.  But what leads the segment?  The Tesla Model S, by a mile.  While most traditional brands lost ground over their 2015 volumes, the Model S grabbed 32% of market in Q3 2016.  It's not just EV growth we need to consider when we think about the numbers, but ICE decline.  Total U.S. car sales have been flat for several years.

How about the Model X?  After a first quarter of (quoting Musk) "production hell", volume growth is back on track.  Tesla ended 2016 with the factory producing cars at a rate of 2,000 a week.

"In the luxury SUV market, Tesla says its new Model X sold 5,428 U.S. cars for a 6 percent market share in the third quarter. That’s its highest mark yet after production issues plagued the rollout of the car earlier this year. According to Tesla’s data, the Model X outsold Porsches and Land Rovers but trailed seven SUV models made by Mercedes, BMW, Cadillac, Volvo, Audi, and Lexus."

But the true volume jump will come this year with the more affordable $35,000 Model 3.  (The federal tax credit can take $7,500 off that price, along with any state incentives.). The Model 3 was designed specifically to be Easy To Make.  Its "bleeding edge" new-tech production lines will be separate from the Model S/X -- and will eventually support the Model Y, a small crossover based on the same framework, when it appears.  Musk has estimated 100,000 to 200,000 Model 3s will be produced in the last half of 2017.  Double that and add a ramp for 2018, add the continuing Model S/X ramp, and that's how 500,000 cars in 2018 could happen.  Exciting times!

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-10-12/tesla-dominates-u-s-luxury-sedan-sales

Other manufacturers (and analysts ;D ) were shocked when thousands of people stood in line to reserve an all-electric Tesla Model 3, sight unseen.  The companies are now moving as fast as they can to electrify their fleets.  The market will change dramatically over the next few years.

Even cheaper EVs?  Musk's Tesla Master Plan Part Deux explains why a cheaper Tesla may not be needed:   https://www.tesla.com/blog/master-plan-part-deux
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 03:59:25 PM by Sigmetnow »

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1558 on: January 25, 2017, 04:17:13 PM »
Musk is not a magician ...

Oh, yes he is.   ;)

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Edit:  Seriously, he is.  Most manufacturers build a factory by buying production machines "off the shelf" -- I'll take one of those, and six of those....  Musk's new love* is building "the machine that builds the machine."  Designing completely new manufacturing processes.  Thus the Alien Dreadnought 2.0 factory he's building up to, which will "barely be recognizable as a factory."

*Also, tunnels:
"Exciting progress on the tunnel front. Plan to start digging in a month or so."
"@elonmusk So you were serious? Like seriously serious?"
"Yup."
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/824182024479133698

Another edit:  article.
https://electrek.co/2017/01/25/elon-musk-tunnel-digging/
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 11:36:46 PM by Sigmetnow »

NeilT

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1559 on: January 25, 2017, 06:40:23 PM »
I’m always pleased to see progress in thinking and actions.  But every truly new departure from the norm requires a period of adjustment and tuning before it meets the goals and targets which have been set.

The problem is that Tesla have set themselves a goal on a timeline which can only be achieved by using the known, today, whilst introducing the unknown in parallel to facilitate future expansion.

I have seen this many times in the computing world.  The person who was the leading advocate of downsizing and rightsizing and distributed computing used to go to the annual computing challenge competition where they used their computer systems to solve the business needs set in the challenge.

He won it every year.  Using the oldest and most inflexible technology because it was the best known and most quantifiable solution.  Finally, 20 years later, his challengers would win with their distributed computing and rightsized systems.  But they wouldn’t win because they are the “old” tech of today and he’d use that to its fullest potential.

I see SpaceX and Tesla and what they have achieved and laud Musk for his vision and drive.  But EV as a significant proportion of the car market is orders of magnitude larger than SpaceX as a significant proportion of the space launch business.  They are two different beasts even if the approach is the same.

I will continue to look for good news.  But I will continue to expect slow and organic change, rather than rapid and revolutionary change.  I hope to be surprised as every good pessimist should.  But I expect not to be as every good pessimist does.

Robert A. Heinlein

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1560 on: January 25, 2017, 09:23:43 PM »
Just saying. ;D   

Factory opening 2017.

SAAB successor NEVS receives China’s approval for new electric car factory with capacity of 200,000 units per year
National Electric Vehicle Sweden (NEVS), the China-backed firm that bought SAAB’s assets out of bankruptcy in 2012, has been trying to position itself has a major player in the electric vehicle industry.

The company is one step closer now that it received today an electric vehicle production license for its 200,000 units per year car factory in Tianjin, China.
NEVS says that the plant in Tianjin is still under construction, but it should be “up and running at the end of 2017, with the capacity of 200 000 electric passenger vehicles yearly.” ...
https://electrek.co/2017/01/25/saab-nevs-china-approval-electric-car-factory/

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
« Reply #1561 on: January 25, 2017, 10:10:27 PM »
NEVS... I like that name!  ;)

From the macrocosm to my small microcosm: Unfortunately, that converted plug-in hybrid Prius I had found, was too good to be true. I managed to talk to the previous owner and he told me some of the battery cells were kaputt (as we say in German) and caused all kinds of errors. With a bit more electrotechnical knowledge and courage I might have taken on the challenge of buying the car and making it a PHEV again (by replacing the 6.1 kWh battery), but as I lack both, I had to pass (my wife threatened to kill me if anything would go wrong, especially when I told her that the very first converted PHEV Prius had gone up in flames four years ago  :P ).

So, the option was either a second-hand Gen II Prius, or another Opel Combo on CNG. All the good, relatively cheap Priuses were far away in Germany; there was one reasonably priced Combo in Vienna. And so we went there today. After having it thoroughly checked, we decided we will probably be able to fix a couple of things that need repair, and as the CNG installation (and most important of all: the tanks had almost no corrosion on them) was functioning well, we decided to buy it, and continue with the type of car that has helped us build our house, while driving very efficiently and cheaply.

We've also decided that we're going to save a fixed amount every month, so that in two years we'll have something of a budget for the next step.

We're not sure what that next step will be. A plug-in hybrid (Gen III Prius)? A full EV? Or perhaps, somehow convert our old Combo to that really simple EV that I often talk about, being allergic to all the planned obsolescence electrical circuitry/gadgetry. You know, just a battery, an electric engine, and that's it. No touch screens, no air conditioning, no BlueTooth, etc. Strangely enough, my wife likes this idea.  ;D

One other step will be some good bikes coming spring/summer, so that whatever car we will have next, we will use it sparingly and drive it for 20 years.

To be continued...
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: January 25, 2017, 10:27:11 PM »
Congratulations, Neven!

I hope everything works out for you, so you can sit back and watch the evolution of sustainable transport until you find the next car for you that's just right.  :)

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: January 26, 2017, 07:09:49 PM »
Tier 4 refers to a set of emissions requirements established by the EPA to reduce emissions of particulate matter (PM), oxides of nitrogen (NOx) and air toxics from new, non-road diesel engines.

California fleets can buy new electric trucks for less than Tier 4 diesels
Heavy-duty electric truck builder Orange EV has announced that all of its on-road truck configurations are now eligible for the Hybrid and Zero-Emission Truck and Bus Voucher Incentive Project (HVIP), which means that fleet buyers in California can purchase a new pure electric terminal truck for less than the cost of a new Tier 4 diesel.

HVIP offers savings of up to $140,000 per truck, which brings the price down to $104,950 for a standard-duty (80 kWh) T-Series terminal truck (aka a hostler, spotter or yard goat). ...
https://chargedevs.com/newswire/california-fleets-can-buy-new-electric-trucks-for-less-than-tier-4-diesels/

NeilT

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: January 26, 2017, 07:19:17 PM »
Neven with 16/17 ECUs in the Prius, as opposed to 1 in most normal cars, I'd suspect that it might have more than just a few battery cell problems.

Once cars like the Prius start throwing issues it's usually a good idea to get rid of them.  So probably a good move going for the Opel

Robert A. Heinlein

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: January 28, 2017, 04:49:55 PM »
I know folks outside the U.S. don't understand all the fuss, because direct sales aren't a problem elsewhere, but a non-dealership model raises quite a few eyebrows (and antagonistic state regulations) here.

"Lynk vehicles will be delivered to the owner’s home, picked up and returned for service, because young buyers have little interest in setting foot in a traditional dealership, he said."

Young buyers prefer Lynk & CO's direct-sales model, dealers told
http://www.autonews.com/article/20170127/RETAIL06/301269933/young-buyers-prefer-lynk-cos-direct-sales-model-dealers-told

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: January 28, 2017, 04:58:19 PM »
New Flyer electric bus deliveries increased by 48% in 2016
New Flyer is one of North America’s largest bus builders, and zero-emission buses (ZEBs) are a growing part of its business. In 2016, the company delivered 213 “equivalent units” as zero-emission buses (one standard transit bus or motor coach equals one equivalent unit, one articulated bus equals two). This represents 8.3% of New Flyer’s total heavy-duty transit bus production for the year.

New Flyer manufactures three types of ZEBs: battery-electric, trolley-electric, and hydrogen fuel cell. All are based on the company’s Xcelsior platform, are driven by electric motors, and share common electric accessories.

The company is currently validating a 60-foot articulated battery-electric bus with a fuel cell range extender.

New Flyer’s partners include Siemens, XALT Energy, A123 Systems, Cummins and, for hydrogen fuel cells, Ballard Power Systems and Hydrogenics.
https://chargedevs.com/newswire/new-flyer-electric-bus-deliveries-increased-by-48-in-2016/

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: January 29, 2017, 04:42:43 PM »
DT's proposed 20 percent tariff on goods imported from Mexico would: increase car prices for U.S. customers; not result in new factories in the U.S. beyond those planned years ago; and may result in Fiat-Chrysler merging with GM.

American Car Buyers Will Pay the Price for a Mexico Tariff
The increasingly contentious battle between the Trump administration and Mexico could lead to some significant collateral damage, most notably to car makers and car buyers.

After the Mexican government rejected a White House demand to pay for a border wall, President Donald Trump floated the idea of imposing a 20 percent tariff on goods imported from south of the border.

This, in addition to a possible reopening of NAFTA trade deals, means that automakers — who made extensive use of NAFTA to set up a network of manufacturing operations in Mexico — could be among the hardest hit. ...
http://www.nbcnews.com/business/autos/american-car-buyers-will-pay-price-mexico-tariff-n713321

NeilT

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: January 30, 2017, 01:06:55 AM »
In the short term (a few months), maybe, but in the longer term no.

If you were going to a dealer and the car was 20% more expensive you would?

Pony up the cash and abuse Trump?
Buy the next most attractive vehicle at 20% less?

Is this a trick question?  Not really.  Vehicle manufacturers build to demand.  If the Mexican vehicles can't be sold in the US because they are too expensive to import, then the cars will be manufactured and sold from US factories.

Remember Trump is neither an idiot nor a politician.  He's a businessman and a billionaire to boot.  You would expect him to know how companies work.

The Mexican factories would be scaled back and their models re-directed to other markets which do not have trade barriers.

In short because consumers are price conscious, the approach will work.

Robert A. Heinlein

jai mitchell

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 207
« Reply #1569 on: January 31, 2017, 08:35:06 PM »
Daimler Will Build Self-Driving Cars for Uber

http://www.thedrive.com/news/7253/daimler-will-build-self-driving-cars-for-uber

Currently, it's unclear when Daimler will begin supplying the cars to Uber. In a press release from the auto group, Daimler said the autonomous vehicles will roll out "in the coming years."
Haiku of Futures Passed
My "burning embers"
are not tri-color bar graphs
+3C today

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: January 31, 2017, 08:49:35 PM »
Daimler Will Build Self-Driving Cars for Uber

http://www.thedrive.com/news/7253/daimler-will-build-self-driving-cars-for-uber

Currently, it's unclear when Daimler will begin supplying the cars to Uber. In a press release from the auto group, Daimler said the autonomous vehicles will roll out "in the coming years."

Uber's CEO has had his eye on autonomous cars for a long time:
In 2015, famous Silicon Valley venture capitalist and early Tesla investor Steve Juvertson recalled a conversation he had with Uber CEO Travis Kalanick:

“Travis recently told me that in 2020, if Teslas are autonomous, he’d want to buy all of them. He said all 500,000 of estimated 2020 production, I’d want them all, but he couldn’t get a return call from Elon.”
Electrek says:
It sounds like [the Daimler announcement] could be the first of more announcements about automakers directly operating fleets of vehicles on Uber’s network instead of Uber or car owners operating those self-driving vehicles.

The ride-sharing space is poised to be disrupted by the advent of autonomous driving and it’s still not clear who will own the mileage ultimately.

This deal seems to introduce a new structure of an automaker owning the vehicles on a third-party network. Daimler also has its own ride-sharing efforts through acquisitions and investments in Backlane, RideScout, and MyTaxi.

There’s also Tesla. The automaker made it quite clear that it plans to operate its own network of self-driving cars, but the vehicles on the ‘Tesla Network’ will be a mix of cars owned by its customers and the company’s own fleet. Tesla CEO Elon Musk said that the majority of ‘Tesla Network’ revenue will go to owners: ‘it’s not Tesla versus Uber, it’s the people versus Uber’ he added.
https://electrek.co/2017/01/31/daimler-partners-with-uber-to-build-and-operate-a-fleet-of-self-driving-cars-on-the-ride-sharing-network/

We're definitely on the cusp of a major disruption in the human-driven transport industry!

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: January 31, 2017, 10:58:22 PM »
UC Irvine orders 20 BYD buses, converts fleet to all-electric
The University of California, Irvine has ordered 20 buses from BYD for $15 million. The e-buses will make the student-funded and -operated Anteater Express shuttle service 100% emission-free.

The vehicles are being built at the company’s Lancaster, California plant.

A survey of students last year found that, of an array of transportation options, the top priority was providing electric buses over conventional ones. Undergraduates voted to pay up to $40 per quarter to cover the bus purchase and other costs. Individual rides are free.

Going all-electric supports UC’s pledge to emit net-zero greenhouse gases from buildings and vehicles by 2025....
https://chargedevs.com/newswire/uc-irvine-orders-20-byd-buses-converts-fleet-to-all-electric/

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: February 06, 2017, 03:29:49 AM »
The new report from Carbon Tracker is out.  And it is entitled, "Expect the Unexpected."

Business Insider has a brief review.  It says:
At the heart of the forecasts are when EVs will be cost-competitive with the internal-combustion engine, and how quickly consumers will make the switch. Carbon Tracker says that EVs will reach that threshold by 2020. And by 2025, EVs will make up about one-fifth of the entire vehicle market.
The electric car boom could cause another oil crash
http://www.businessinsider.com/electric-car-boom-could-cause-another-oil-crash-2017-2

Carbon Tracker emphasizes that "Updating model assumptions is critical," because "The current state of the low-carbon transition means it is highly risky to justify any business strategy by using a BAU scenario as a reference case."

... Low-carbon technologies
▶ Solar PV (with associated energy storage costs included) could supply 23% of global power generation in 2040 and 29% by 2050, entirely phasing out coal and leaving natural gas with just a 1% market share. ExxonMobil sees all renewables supplying just 11% of global power generation by 2040.

▶ EVs account for approximately 35% of the road transport market by 2035 – BP put this figure at just 6% in its 2017 energy outlook. By 2050, EVs account for over two-thirds of the road transport market. This growth trajectory sees EVs displace approximately two million barrels of oil per day (mbd) in 2025 and 25mbd in 2050. To put these figures in context, the recent 2014-15 oil price collapse was the result of a two mbd (2%) shift in the supply-demand balance.

Fossil fuel demand
▶ Although this study focuses on the decarbonisation of the global power and road transport sectors, which today account for only 51% of global CO2 emissions and fossil fuel demand approximately, this scenario sees:
▷ Coal demand peaking in 2020;
▷ Oil demand peaking in 2020; and
▷ Gas demand growth curtailed.

Global warming
Global average temperature rise is limited to between 2.4°C (50% probability) and 2.7°C (66% probability) by 2100 in this scenario – far below the BAU trajectory towards 4°C and beyond used by fossil fuel companies. If climate policy exceeds the pathway prescribed by NDCs, and overall energy demand is lower, cost reductions in solar PV and EVs can help limit global warming to between 2.1°C (50% probability) and 2.3°C (66% probability). Efforts must be made to align with this more carbon-constrained trajectory.

The ‘10% threshold’
In the past Carbon Tracker has shown that a 10% shift in market share can be crippling for incumbents, such as in the value destruction experienced by EU utilities and the near collapse of the US coal sector. Scenarios produced in this study indicate that 10% shifts in market share from incumbents to solar PV or EVs could occur within a single decade. This contrasts with many BAU scenarios which do not see these technologies gaining a 10% market share, even over several decades. Breaking through these kinds of thresholds is significant because they signal the peak in demand for coal or oil; changing the fundamental market dynamic for these fossil fuels.

No more business as usual
By definition, BAU scenarios involve no additional climate policy mitigation action beyond the present level, or acceleration in the extent to which low-carbon technologies impact energy markets. Given the energy transition is clearly already underway, and there is no way that BAU can meet the climate targets that many countries, states and companies have committed to, it is our contention that it is time to retire the conventional approach to use BAU as a starting point in scenario analyses. The current state of the low-carbon transition means it is highly risky to justify any business strategy by using a BAU scenario as a reference case. By changing the starting point, it shifts the focus on to how to achieve the Paris COP climate targets, i.e. a 2°C reference scenario, rather than the gap between BAU and what is already happening.

The Carbon Tracker report (pdf) is available here: 
http://www.carbontracker.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Expect-the-Unexpected_CTI_Imperial.pdf

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: February 06, 2017, 04:45:46 PM »
It's hard for large, established automakers to change course so drastically, from ICE cars to EVs.  But here's a significant effort.

Volkswagen announces plans to convert existing factories to build new platform for electric cars
Volkswagen has a lot riding on its new MEB platform – the Modular Electric Drive kit. The company’s plan to convert millions of vehicles production capacity to electric within the next 10 years depends on it.

The automaker first announced that its first all-electric vehicles using the platform will to come to market in 2020 and it now confirmed that the MEB platform will go in production into 2019.

The German automaker’s Zwickau plant in Saxony will be the first to be updated in order to support the new platform.

MEB also supports hybrid vehicles, which is likely why it’s going into production before the all-electric vehicles.

In a press release, Volkswagen also announced that its Wolfsburg plant and the Emden plant will also be upgraded to produce vehicles on the MEB platform.

The first all-electric vehicle on the platform is expected to be based on the I.D. concept, a Golf-size all-electric vehicle with a range of over 300 miles, in 2020 and the I.D. all-electric microbus is expected to follow soon after.

What is interesting here is that we are talking about a major automaker with massive assets linked to the production of gas and diesel-powered cars being willing to convert those assets to the production of electric vehicles.

It’s still two years away, but in the meantime, VW is upgrading its ‘Transparent Factory’ in Dresden for the production of the latest version of the all-electric e-Golf. It should start in April.

The 2017 e-Golf has now 124 miles of range on a new 35.8 kWh battery pack. ...
https://electrek.co/2017/02/06/vw-electric-car-factories/

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: February 06, 2017, 07:06:07 PM »
Lion to Add Electric Bus Manufacturing Facility in California
PALO ALTO, Calif. — Quebec-based Lion Bus plans to add a new electric bus manufacturing facility in California, with support from the state and the Canadian province.

... Two Sacramento area school districts will be the first in the state to add Lion's electric vehicles to their fleets, according to NBC Bay Area. Twin Rivers Unified School District and Elk Grove Unified School District will receive 29 buses by next month.

The state will help Lion find a location for the new facility as they ramp up production. ...
http://www.schoolbusfleet.com/news/719845/lion-to-add-electric-bus-manufacturing-facility-in-california

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1575 on: February 06, 2017, 10:02:45 PM »
Came across this photo of an electric car charging station, circa 1915.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1576 on: February 07, 2017, 09:24:49 PM »
Electric Car Sales (Monthly Reports)

At the suggestion of one of our writers, I’ve decided to create this page dedicated to monthly electric car sales reports (US electric car sales, China electric car sales, Europe electric car sales, France electric car sales, Germany electric car sales, Netherlands electric car sales, and Norway electric car sales). Enjoy, and share with friends!
http://evobsession.com/electric-car-sales/

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 49
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #1577 on: February 07, 2017, 10:07:09 PM »
Let's be realistic.  EV will start to have a significant impact on fossil fuel cars around 2030 to 2035. Then we can start talking about oil crashes and the demise of the ICE engine.

I'll take the "other side of that bet."  The price of oil is set at "the margin".  The "next barrel of oil."  We don't need a HUGE CHANGE in either supply or demand to change the price significantly.

In fact...I believe that we are likely to see some countries that DON'T ALLOW ICE CAR SALES by 2030 - 2035.

If I can get an "equivalent" EV car instead of an ICE car in 3 - 5 years.....why would I ever buy an ICE car?  And when I say "equivalent"......I mean equivalent in what the car looks/feels as well as price.....and with a range of > 200 - 250 miles.

We are going to hit a point where consumers will say:  "Why should I buy an ICE car when I can buy an EV for the same money BUT FILLING IT UP IS CHEAPER."  AND....the resale on an EV will be MUCH greater than an ICE car.  And that day is not too far ahead......maybe 3 - 4 years.  For trucks....longer of course.....but for cars, it's not going to be very far in the future.

Again....currently we are just "nibbling" at the edges of oil demand right now....but we are heading for a "j curve" in demand for EV cars which will have a bigger and bigger impact on oil prices.

There is a reason that the Saudi Arabia oil company is doing their IPO this year........and it ISN'T to share the wealth with investors.  They need to start "exiting" the oil market and get as much as they can for their oil company over the next several years. 

FOX (RT) News....."The Trump Channel.....where truth and journalism are dead."

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1578 on: February 08, 2017, 12:48:03 AM »
Electric vehicle charging networks are partnering to create Europe-wide fast-charging network
A lot of electric vehicle charging networks in Europe operate only in specific countries, which can make it hard for electric vehicle drivers to road trip across borders. A solution has been introduced today to make European electric travel easier.

Today, five of the biggest network operators announced the ‘Open Fast Charging Alliance’, which “will enable roaming to create a premium network of fast chargers all over Europe”, according to the new group.

We are talking about DC fast-charing here and not level 2 chargers. They operate more than 500 fast chargers in 6 countries between all of them...
https://electrek.co/2017/02/07/electric-vehicle-charging-networks-europe/

DrTskoul

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1580 on: February 08, 2017, 02:35:09 PM »
VW unveils how it will spend its $2 billion for electric vehicle infrastructure from the Dieselgate settlement - U.S.
As part of its court settlement with the California Air Resources Board (CARB) and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) for the DieselGate scandal, Volkswagen agreed to invest $2 billion in electric vehicle infrastructure in the US.

The German automaker unveiled this week its plan for how to spend the money under a new subsidiary called Electrify America.
But the charging stations are definitely what we are most excited about – especially DC fast-charging. VW says that most of the stations will be DC fast-charging, including some with a power capacity over 150 kW:

- Installing chargers locally in approximately 15 metro areas consisting of 300+ stations (L2 or DC Fast Chargers (50 to 150+ kW))
- Developing a high-speed, cross-country network consisting of 200+ stations (DC Fast Chargers)

There’s no location announced yet, but we can expect that they will be a lot in California since VW is required to spend almost half the money in the state under the settlement. ...
https://electrek.co/2017/02/08/vw-electric-vehicle-charging-infrastructure-dieselgate-settlement/

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #1581 on: February 08, 2017, 03:43:17 PM »
VW unveils how it will spend its $2 billion for electric vehicle infrastructure from the Dieselgate settlement - U.S.
As part of its court settlement with the California Air Resources Board (CARB) and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) for the DieselGate scandal, Volkswagen agreed to invest $2 billion in electric vehicle infrastructure in the US.

The German automaker unveiled this week its plan for how to spend the money under a new subsidiary called Electrify America.
But the charging stations are definitely what we are most excited about – especially DC fast-charging. VW says that most of the stations will be DC fast-charging, including some with a power capacity over 150 kW:

- Installing chargers locally in approximately 15 metro areas consisting of 300+ stations (L2 or DC Fast Chargers (50 to 150+ kW))
- Developing a high-speed, cross-country network consisting of 200+ stations (DC Fast Chargers)

There’s no location announced yet, but we can expect that they will be a lot in California since VW is required to spend almost half the money in the state under the settlement. ...
https://electrek.co/2017/02/08/vw-electric-vehicle-charging-infrastructure-dieselgate-settlement/

GOOD STUFF!!
Who should we sue next. Fiat has lots of money, or do we go with BMW & Mercedes to really deal with those Germans?  ::)

Terry

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1582 on: February 08, 2017, 07:31:44 PM »

GOOD STUFF!!
Who should we sue next. Fiat has lots of money, or do we go with BMW & Mercedes to really deal with those Germans?  ::)

Terry

I'm still hoping we can go after the BIG money -- the oil companies!  Investigations and suits are slowly grinding their way through the court system; it will probably take a few more years.  :-\

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 49
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #1583 on: February 09, 2017, 05:52:33 PM »
"Peak cars" in the US by 2020?  Stranger things have happened.  Here's a good article in the Rocky Mountain Institute (one of the premier energy research organizations in the world):

The roadmap shows “peak car” happening sometime in the next three years. At that moment, not only will the number of cars owned by Americans start to plummet, so will the demand in the market. There are a lot of factors which must converge for this to happen, including continued investment in public transit, rising costs for gas, and decreased cost for renewable fuels like solar and wind (and those costs are declining, quickly).

http://www.curbed.com/2017/2/6/13428414/car-buying-electric-vehicles-uber-lyft
FOX (RT) News....."The Trump Channel.....where truth and journalism are dead."

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: February 09, 2017, 08:37:40 PM »
Volvo says its first all-electric vehicle is coming in 2019 with battery packs up to 100 kWh
While Swedish automaker Volvo says that it is committed to the electrification of its vehicle lineup, we haven’t heard much about its plans beyond the announcement in 2015 that they are working on a new EV platform for 2019.

But this week at the SAE 2017 Hybrid and Electric Vehicle Technologies Symposium in San Diego, the company reaffirmed that the first all-electric Volvo car will be available in 2019 and confirmed that the platform could support battery packs up to 100 kWh.

The vehicle will be the first all-electric from the automaker and third plug-in since it already sells the XC90 and it plans to bring another PHEV to market next year, according to Mats Anderson, Senior Director of Electric Propulsion Systems at Volvo.

But we are more interested in the new all-electric platform.
A 100 kWh battery pack can enable over 300 miles [483 km] of range depending on the efficiency of the vehicle. It’s likely to be only a high-end option, like Tesla currently offers in the Model S and X. Smaller battery packs are often sufficient for most use cases.
https://electrek.co/2017/02/09/volvo-first-all-electric-vehicle-2019/

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: February 09, 2017, 09:18:56 PM »
Piëch Throws Bombs, Volkswagen Spins Out Of Control
...Throughout the dieselgate scandal, there has been the popular guessing game of who knew [what] and when did they know it. Last week, we read of Piëch telling German prosecutors that he discussed Volkswagen’s dieselgate problem with Winterkorn as early as March 2015. Per the reports, Piëch testified that he heard from an informant that VW was having a big problem in America, and that US regulators already notified Volkswagen. Supposedly, Winterkorn answered that this was untrue, and that such a notification did not exist....
http://www.forbes.com/sites/bertelschmitt/2017/02/09/piech-throws-bombs-volkswagen-spins-out-of-control/

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: February 09, 2017, 09:25:04 PM »
Germany, France agree on transnational self-driving test zone
In a bid to win the race to develop self-driving cars and give a leg-up to their automakers over their rivals from Silicon Valley, the two EU nations have joined hands to test the cars on a stretch of road linking them.
European neighbors Germany and France plan to test self-driving vehicles on a section of road linking the two countries, the transport ministry in Berlin said Wednesday.

The route stretches around 70 kilometers (43 miles), from Merzig in Germany's western Saarland state to Metz in eastern France. It is aimed at testing "automated and connected driving in real cross-border traffic," the ministry noted.

"Manufacturers will be able to test the connectivity of their systems, for example when lanes or speed limits change at the border," German Transport Minister Alexander Dobrindt said in a statement following a meeting with his French counterpart Alain Vidalies.
Automated trucks in particular are expected to shake up the road transport sector in the years to come.

In a glimpse of what lies ahead, manufacturers took part in an experiment last year that saw six convoys of "smart" trucks cross several European countries using "platooning," in which a leading truck sets the route and speed for wirelessly-connected self-driving followers.
http://www.dw.com/en/germany-france-agree-on-transnational-self-driving-test-zone/a-37464274

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1587 on: February 10, 2017, 08:48:27 PM »
Apparently the U.K. is determined to make electric driving a "joyous experience."  :)
The article includes a link to proposed measures for inclusion in the Modern Transport Bill.

UK electric car charging infrastructure set for a shake-up
Owning and running an electric car, gliding along in a computer on wheels, that costs pennies to fuel and maintain is on whole a joyous experience.

Where the EV driver is somewhat let down is with the inconsistent public charging infrastucture.  Currently this requires drivers to sign up to multiple providers, each with it own smartphone app or membership card used to start the charge.
Proposed charging network improvements include the sharing of data in an open source format on the geographical location and live availability of a charge point.  Along with the requirement for that chargepoint to used without the need for multiple memberships, apps or cards.

One other proposal is to require the operators of motorway service areas to provision a minimum number of electric charge car points enabling more confident long distance joyous electric motoring.
http://driveev.net/2017/02/10/uk-electric-car-charging-infrastructure-set-for-a-shake-up/

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1588 on: February 10, 2017, 08:58:57 PM »
MORE POWER TO YOU: HOW WIRED-UP ROADS WILL SOON CHARGE YOUR ELECTRIC CAR AS YOU DRIVE
...For peace of mind, wireless charging systems are properly shielded so that no animals or humans will be harmed. A coil in the road will only emit power when it is in wireless communication with a receiver coil above it, and the latter will absorb nearly all of it. The bit that is lost is mostly absorbed by the metal body of the car itself.

The path to wired-up roads
Retrofitting roads with wireless charging coils sounds expensive. But recent studies show that the biggest part of the cost comes from the construction work itself—on a new or renovated road, the extra costs are not that high....
http://www.newsweek.com/wired-roads-charge-electric-cars-while-driving-555039

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1589 on: February 10, 2017, 09:24:59 PM »
Article on gm-volt.com discusses the odds of success for the all-electric Chevy Bolt, which started deliveries in mid-December 2016 (to California and Oregon, states where the Bolt earns 'ZEV credits' for GM, to offset its ICE vehicle sales).  Bolt sales over about 6 weeks, to the end of January, totaled 1,741.

Can the Chevy Bolt Break The Glass Ceiling On Mass EV Acceptance?
...How many sales then could the Bolt see in a partial year for 2017? An estimated 21,000. Last year the second-generation extended-range Volt sold 24,739 in its first calendar year.

For 2018, the first year in which the Bolt is for sale in all 50 states, [analyst Alan] Baum projects 25,000 Bolt sales. And, for 2019, by which time there are expected several competitive models for sale, he projects 23,000 Bolt sales.

Of course anything could change to shift things, but this is the outlook at this point after weighing objective and subjective factors for a new car in a new market in flux.
http://gm-volt.com/2017/02/10/can-chevy-bolt-break-glass-ceiling-mass-ev-acceptance/

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1590 on: February 13, 2017, 10:04:46 PM »
Electric buses are now cheaper than diesel/CNG and could dominate the market within 10 years, says Proterra CEO
...Electric bus maker Proterra is ramping up production and currently claims to be cheaper than diesel and CNG. It leads CEO Ryan Popple to make a bold prediction that battery-powered buses will dominate the transit bus market within 10 years.

More specifically, he says that the majority of new bus sales will be electric by 2025 and all new bus sales to transit agencies will be electric by 2030.
Some transit agencies are making commitments to transition their entire fleets to electric propulsion and companies like BYD, Proterra, and others, are fighting over the contracts. ...
https://electrek.co/2017/02/13/electric-buses-proterra-ceo/

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: February 14, 2017, 02:43:27 PM »
Article includes a nifty video ad for self-driving taxis in Dubai.

Tesla signs deal to supply 200 Model S/X vehicles with ‘fully self-driving-capability’ to Dubai’s taxi company
Dubai, through the Dubai Future Foundation, has been making a push for autonomous driving technology since last year. They announced a goal to convert 25% of the city’s traffic to autonomous driving by 2030 and even unveiled a concept for an autonomous Tesla taxi.

They now plan to make that concept a reality and officially ordered 200 Model S sedans and Model X SUVs with ‘fully self-driving-capability’ from Tesla.
The deal was made just as Tesla officially launched in the United Arab Emirates yesterday. ...
https://electrek.co/2017/02/14/tesla-supply-200-model-s-dubai-autonomous-taxi/

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: February 14, 2017, 02:58:52 PM »
17.6 kWh battery.  ~160 km (~100 miles) of range.  €21,940 (~$25,000).

Daimler is converting Smart brand to all-electric in North America, no more gas-powered Smart cars
In a somewhat surprising move but definitely welcomed by electric vehicle enthusiasts, Daimler told its dealerships in the US and Canada that it will soon stop selling gas-powered Smart cars in favor of the new upcoming electric versions.

The company didn’t officially announce the move, but German paper Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung obtained a letter sent to North American dealerships by Dietmar Exler, head of Mercedes-Benz USA, in which he explained that the company plans to cut the supply of gas-powered Smart cars in September.
https://electrek.co/2017/02/14/daimler-smart-brand-all-electric/

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: February 14, 2017, 05:40:59 PM »
Blue Bird awarded $4.4 million to develop electric school bus
Blue Bird buses are familiar to every American who has kids, or who ever attended school. The Georgia-based manufacturer (Nasdaq: BLBD) has built over 550,000 buses since its formation in 1927, and approximately 180,000 of its classic yellow buses are in operation today.

Now the company has won a grant of $4.4 million from the DOE to support the development of a zero-emission school bus with vehicle-to-grid (V2G) capability. ...
https://chargedevs.com/newswire/blue-bird-awarded-4-4-million-to-develop-electric-school-bus/

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: February 14, 2017, 10:09:14 PM »
New statistics for U.S.:

Has the US Reached ‘Peak Car’?
In 2006, the number of light vehicles per household in the United States peaked at 2.050. Since then it dropped to a low of 1.927 vehicles per household in 2013, before climbing back up to 1.950 in 2015.

Measured by miles traveled per household, the peak year was 2004, when the distance driven came to 24,349 miles. Miles driven reached a recent low of 21,866 miles driven per household in 2013 and climbed back to 22,311 in 2015.

The data were reported Tuesday in a new study from Michael Sivak and Brandon Schoettle from the University of Michigan Sustainable Worldwide Transportation group.

According to the study, vehicle ownership rates per person and per household are down 4.4% from their recent highs and up 1.4% from recent lows. The ownership rate per household is roughly equal to the rate in 1993.

Miles driven per person and per household are down about 7.8% from their peak and have regained about 2.1% from their trough. The average miles driven per person is about equal to the rate in 1997, and the average per household is roughly the same as in 1994.

According to U.S. Census Bureau data, in 1993 there were about 260 million people living in the United States, compared with nearly 324 million at the end of 2016. The number of households grew from 96.4 million to 125.8 million in the same period.

In 1993 there were 1.943 vehicles per household, compared with 1.950 in 2015. Not many new three-car garages, but many more households buying cars.

Miles driven per household, according to the University of Michigan data, was exactly the same in 2003 as in 2015. Americans aren’t driving more; there are more Americans driving.

And if you believe a research report from the Rocky Mountain Institute published last September, by 2018 autonomous (self-driving) vehicles could provide transportation services at near cost parity to the total cost of owning and operating a personal vehicle. How will that affect U.S. auto sales and miles driven (transported)? Stay tuned.
http://247wallst.com/autos/2017/02/14/has-the-us-reached-peak-car/

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: February 15, 2017, 01:46:53 AM »
Hyundai announces highly competitive pricing for IONIQ Electric in the US: $29,500 before incentives (under $20,000 in CA after incentives)
As we recently reported, Hyundai is about to launch the all-electric version of its new IONIQ vehicle in the US. The Korean automaker has now confirmed pricing and it’s a lot more competitive than anticipated. The vehicle will start at an MSRP of just $29,500.

After electric vehicle incentives, the car could technically be sold for less than $20,000 in certain markets – making it highly competitive in its segment.

As we highlighted last week, the vehicle has an EPA-rated range of 124 miles [200 km] on only a 28 kWh battery pack and 88kW engine, which makes it the most energy-efficient all-electric vehicle out there.

While that’s impressive, it has been priced at the equivalent of ~$35,000 US in other markets, which makes it more difficult to justify at the same price of the Chevy Bolt EV or the upcoming Tesla Model 3, but with about 100 miles short on range. ...
https://electrek.co/2017/02/14/hyundai-ioniq-electric-pricing/

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: February 15, 2017, 03:56:18 AM »
Daimler to convert [some] engine production to electric at its largest factory, fewer workers required causing labor issues
Daimler has ambitious plans for electric vehicle production. It is among the few major automakers that not only have accepted the transition to fully electric propulsion in the auto industry, but who have also committed to converting production assets currently dedicated to internal combustion engine production. That’s a difficult move for large legacy automakers.

In one of its biggest move toward that goal, the company announced today plans for its major Untertürkheim plant to produce electric motors in a deal with workers.
It’s a first significant move for Daimler to start converting its ICE production assets to EV production assets. It comes as the company started transitioning its Smart brand to electric and Mercedes prepares to launch its ‘Mercedes EQ’ brand with its first electric vehicle, an SUV, by the end of the decade.
https://electrek.co/2017/02/14/daimler-electric-vehicle-production/

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: February 15, 2017, 04:15:13 PM »
Norway pushed the limits last month with record plug-in electric sales reaching 37% market share in the country’s passenger car market. Over 4,800 plug-in electric vehicles were delivered in the country in January....”

Norway is reaching tipping point for electric vehicles as market share reaches record breaking 37%
https://electrek.co/2017/02/15/norway-electric-vehicle-market-share-record/

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: February 15, 2017, 10:56:02 PM »
Fully-autonomous driving can't come soon enough....

Auto fatalities are rising at an alarming rate
Driving in America is getting deadlier.

Despite an abundance of technologies designed to warn drivers of safety threats, the country last year recorded its steepest two-year increase in motor vehicle deaths in more than 50 years.

According to new estimates from the nonprofit National Safety Council, more than 40,000 people were killed in car crashes in the U.S. last year, marking a 14 percent increase over 2014. That increase represents a 6 percent lift over 2015.

"Those numbers are going up really rapidly," said Deborah Hersman, CEO of the National Safety Council.

Though a large percentage of highway deaths are still linked to drunken driving and speeding, the increase calls into question the efficacy of popular safety technologies like lane departure warning systems, which are credited with keeping drivers from making potentially deadly mistakes behind the wheel.

In a new survey of more than 800 drivers whose vehicles include safety features, 18 percent told the NSC they would prefer to shut off some of those technologies because they are confusing, irritating or give "false positives." ...
http://www.cnbc.com/2017/02/15/auto-fatalities-are-rising-at-an-alarming-rate.html

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: February 15, 2017, 11:07:19 PM »
A little OT but pretty cool:  Tesla will pay to fix damage to one of its cars used to bring a runaway car with an unconscious driver to a stop.

Elon Musk: Congrats to the Tesla owner who sacrificed damage to his own car to bring a car with an unconscious driver safely to a stop!

In appreciation, Tesla is providing all repair costs free of charge and expedited.
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/831969536584806400

Article on the incident is here:
http://jalopnik.com/heroic-driver-sacrifices-his-tesla-to-save-unconscious-1792349590

Edit: I am reminded of this story from last summer of a driver disabled due to a pulmonary embolism who used Autopilot to drive his car to the hospital:  http://fortune.com/2016/08/06/tesla-autopilot-hospital-rescue/
    As an update to the article, I note that Over The Air updates are going out today that will allow Teslas with the new autopilot hardware to use the system on "local roads" (in limited circumstances), not just highways, for the first time.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 11:38:24 PM by Sigmetnow »