Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Cars, cars and more cars. And trucks, and....  (Read 1471491 times)

solartim27

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 42
  • Likes Given: 75
Re: Cars, cars and more cars. And trucks, and....
« Reply #800 on: January 22, 2016, 07:44:09 PM »
Low-Rolling Resistance Tires Can Save Fuel
http://www.consumerreports.org/fuel-economy/low-rolling-resistance-tires-can-save-fuel
I've had very poor lifespans of our LRR tires.  We needed to replace our OEM tires on the Leaf at 30k miles, I forget about our Prius, but it was not much better.  I have not done the math, but as LRR tires are more expensive, my hunch is the savings don't add up.  I hope I'm wrong.
FNORD

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1153
  • Likes Given: 430
« Reply #801 on: January 22, 2016, 07:46:28 PM »
Yes, it must be safer than humans.
But again, how about winter? These are really good conditions for winter driving, from Iceland:

Iceland also has some other not so auto pilot friendly stuff falling from the skies occasionally. :)

Of course, the system is not perfect yet.  Neither was this driver....   ;)
A couple notes:
- Version 7.1 is current ;) ; the video shows Version 7.0, apparently right after it was downloaded. 
- There are many reports of Autopilot being skittish at the beginning, but after a few days or trips it behaved much better and was able to smoothly navigate roads it could not do previously.  Is there a later video from this driver?
- The car "sees" using GPS, and the experience of all other Teslas that have been on that road -- not just with the cameras. 
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
« Reply #802 on: January 22, 2016, 07:50:22 PM »
Short lifespan also means a lot of fine particles ending up in the environment and eventually in everything at the top of the food chain.

I tend to pump my tyres just a notch above the specs. It does save fuel.
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: January 22, 2016, 07:51:09 PM »
http://www.consumerreports.org/fuel-economy/low-rolling-resistance-tires-can-save-fuel
I've had very poor lifespans of our LRR tires.  We needed to replace our OEM tires on the Leaf at 30k miles, I forget about our Prius, but it was not much better.  I have not done the math, but as LRR tires are more expensive, my hunch is the savings don't add up.  I hope I'm wrong.

That's a good point.  I wonder how the emissions from tire manufacturing compare with the emissions from burning fuel?  (LRR tires are just part of the total cost of an EV.)

Sleepy

« Reply #804 on: January 22, 2016, 08:16:05 PM »
Yes, it must be safer than humans.
But again, how about winter? These are really good conditions for winter driving, from Iceland:

Iceland also has some other not so auto pilot friendly stuff falling from the skies occasionally. :)

Of course, the system is not perfect yet.  Neither was this driver....   ;)
A couple notes:
- Version 7.1 is current ;) ; the video shows Version 7.0, apparently right after it was downloaded. 
- There are many reports of Autopilot being skittish at the beginning, but after a few days or trips it behaved much better and was able to smoothly navigate roads it could not do previously.  Is there a later video from this driver?
- The car "sees" using GPS, and the experience of all other Teslas that have been on that road -- not just with the cameras.

According to Teslaclubsweden, 7.1 only does a bit better on roads with poor or no lane markings and that it's still useless in Nordic conditions with snow and with no clear markings of the road. I believe them. ;)

Edit; sorry, I just had to find that article I read earlier. Here it is:
http://teslaclubsweden.se/battre-autopilot-i-7-1/
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 08:22:18 PM by Sleepy »

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: January 22, 2016, 09:05:45 PM »
Well, I guess you'll just have to wait for 7.2, then.   ;D

Yuha

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 78
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #806 on: January 23, 2016, 01:12:54 AM »
Ford claims they successfully tested autonomous driving in snowy conditions:

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-35280632

Ford said it had instead programmed the Lidar sensors to detect landmarks above the ground, such as buildings and road signs.

The car could then compare this information to an existing high-resolution map of the road - generated by autonomous cars during more favourable weather- stored in its computer.

This allowed the car to navigate the road even when visibility was poor.

Sleepy

« Reply #807 on: January 23, 2016, 05:43:23 AM »
I'll be waiting Sigmetnow. :)
And as for Ford, bring it here. ;)
Edit; that road sign in pic1 isn't standard height, it's a tall one.

On a more serious note as a former nerd(?), I do believe autonomous cars are possible. But I need an EV with a respectable size and range, the rest doesn't matter. If not, I would have to use two cars. I don't like that equation since neither I, nor nature can afford it.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: January 26, 2016, 12:11:39 AM »
VW Diesel Cheating An 'Open Secret' In Engine Group: Report
A German newspaper has reported that the use of "defeat device" software to cheat on U.S. emissions laws was widespread knowledge within the diesel-engine group at Volkswagen headquarters in Wolfsburg, Germany.

And, it said, one whistleblower involved in the deception had alerted a senior manager outside the department as far back as 2011.

That manager apparently did nothing, however, and the cheating continued until the company admitted its deception to U.S. regulators last September.
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1102020_vw-diesel-cheating-an-open-secret-in-engine-group-report

Sleepy

« Reply #809 on: January 27, 2016, 07:54:45 AM »
Used to be made in Sweden, now it's just:
Volvo - Made By BAU.
http://youtu.be/DUDx6NEqdJQ?t=3m25s

Sleepy

« Reply #810 on: January 27, 2016, 07:57:14 AM »
The Quest for Power, and how it ends.  ;)

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: January 27, 2016, 07:44:49 PM »
VW CEO confirms the group’s brands will introduce 20 new electric vehicles by the end of the decade
When looking at the emissions issue of the past few weeks, Müller explained to the EU parliamentarians in Brussels: “We are using the current crisis to fundamentally realign the Group. I strongly feel we now have the chance to build a new and better Volkswagen.”
http://electrek.co/2016/01/27/vws-brands-20-new-electric-vehicles-2020/

JimD

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #812 on: January 28, 2016, 03:25:05 PM »
Well, this is timely ;) :  How to burn less gas, without buying a new car (even if you don't change the way you drive).

I have been running these types of tires for many years.  The fuel savings offset at least 2/3's of the cost of the tires.  But in an ergonomic sense most people do not like them as they are very hard.  So you feel the roughness of the road much more and they do not have the grip or traction of softer tires - so they are a little less safe.  There are always tradeoffs.
We do not err because truth is difficult to see. It is visible at a glance. We err because this is more comfortable. Alexander Solzhenitsyn

How is it conceivable that all our technological progress - our very civilization - is like the axe in the hand of the pathological criminal? Albert Einstein

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: January 28, 2016, 03:52:20 PM »
Motiv Power Systems and Creative Bus Sales partner to build an electric school bus.
"It has a passenger capacity of up to 48 and a range of up to 85 miles, and can charge to 50 percent capacity in 2 hours."
https://chargedevs.com/newswire/motiv-power-systems-and-creative-bus-sales-partner-to-build-electric-school-bus/

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: January 31, 2016, 02:14:55 PM »
San Diego Gas & Electric (SDGE) to Install 3,500 EV Charging Stations, many in multi-family communities

SDGE will install thousands of electric vehicle charging stations throughout San Diego and Orange counties under a pilot program approved by California Public Utilities Commission.
The company will install charging stations at up to 350 businesses and multi-family communities throughout the region, with 10 chargers at each location for a total of 3,500 separate chargers. SDG&E will install at least 10 percent of the chargers in disadvantaged communities.
Fifty percent of SDG&E’s customers live in multi-family communities. Without access to vehicle charging, there is virtually no way for these residents to ever become part of the solution to significantly reduce air pollution or to create real personal savings by eliminating gasoline bills. SDG&E’s initiative will help address gaps like this in the market and ensure charging is accessible to all customers.

SDG&E’s project will overcome many current obstacles to EV growth and reassure local EV drivers that they will have a place to charge their vehicles. In addition to expanding access to EVs, the pilot features special rates that encourage EV drivers to charge their cars when electricity supply, including renewable energy, is plentiful and energy prices are low.  With rates encouraging off-peak charging, vehicles will be efficiently integrated onto the grid, helping to avoid on-peak charging that drives the need to build more power plants and other electric infrastructure.

California has led the way to de-carbonizing electricity over the last several decades, helping to pave the way for the modernization of the transportation sector.  With SDG&E’s energy portfolio being made up of 33 percent renewable energy and no coal, drivers will be plugging into one of the cleanest electric grids in the country.  Furthermore, with the pilot’s special rate encouraging drivers to charge exactly at the times of day when solar power is at its height, customers will literally be driving on sunshine.
http://electriccarsreport.com/2016/01/sdge-to-install-3500-ev-charging-stations/

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: January 31, 2016, 05:18:28 PM »
Oh, the irony.... ;D

Chinese EV-maker establishes R&D center in Detroit
https://chargedevs.com/newswire/chinese-ev-maker-establishes-rd-center-in-detroit/

JimD

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: February 01, 2016, 04:23:59 PM »
Yet in China we see this:  Sort of reminds one of what is going on in the US.

...Take China for example, where the strategist sees the oil plunge helping to fuel a boom in SUV sales: "Moreover, the low oil price is encouraging Chinese consumers to buy increasingly larger cars. Sales of SUVs, the heaviest passenger vehicles category, are up 60 percent year-on-year in the last three months, while overall passenger vehicle sales are growing robustly at 22 percent."

Just like in the US the growth in sales of large ICE vehicles (due to low fuel prices) is vastly outstripping EV sales and fully wiping out any possible gains they would entail if they were replacing ICE vehicles.  The problem grows worse not better.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-02-01/bofa-the-oil-crash-is-kicking-off-one-of-the-largest-wealth-transfers-in-human-history
We do not err because truth is difficult to see. It is visible at a glance. We err because this is more comfortable. Alexander Solzhenitsyn

How is it conceivable that all our technological progress - our very civilization - is like the axe in the hand of the pathological criminal? Albert Einstein

ghoti

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 12
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #818 on: February 01, 2016, 04:30:26 PM »
CAFE fuel efficiency standards in the USA regulate the require fleet mpg average. When more gas guzzlers are sold they have to be balanced with more sales of vehicles that have low or zero fuel usage. This is one of the main factors driving hybrid and pure EV development in the USA.

So the irony is low gasoline prices may be promoting the development and sale of plug-in vehicles.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: February 02, 2016, 05:00:11 PM »
Chicago Transit Authority To Add Dozens Of Electric Buses After Successful Tests
After over a year of testing, Chicago is ready to commit to all-electric buses.

The Chicago Transit Authority (CTA) took delivery of two electric buses in 2014, and found them satisfactory.  So the city now plans to purchase 20 to 30 all-electric buses over the next few years, as part of an overall modernization of its fleet.
No significant mechanical issues cropped up during testing, according to the CTA. The buses' battery packs are intended to last their entire service lives--meaning about 12 years.

Officials claim the emissions reductions from operating the two buses is the equivalent of removing 14 internal-combustion cars from the road, and adds up to $39,000 in health-benefit savings.

In an "average year of use," the CTA expects each bus to save $25,000 in fuel, and $55,000 in public-health costs.
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1102130_chicago-transit-authority-to-add-dozens-of-electric-buses-after-successful-tests

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: February 02, 2016, 05:05:47 PM »
Tesla opens orders for the Model X in China
There are reasons to believe the Model X could become a popular vehicle in China, where there are significant health risks due to air pollution, which could make the Model X’s unconventional air filter an important asset for the vehicle’s success in the country. It is about 10 times larger than average car air filtering system and during the unveiling of the vehicle, Tesla CEO Elon Musk claimed it is “several hundreds time” better at filtering particles than a conventional system.

He even compared the level of air quality in the car to an operating room. At max capacity, the system can detect any viruses or spores – making it bioweapon/apocalypse proof, complete with a “biodefence mode button”, which could be useful even when just sitting in Beijing traffic.
http://electrek.co/2016/02/02/tesla-orders-model-x-china-red-new-year/

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: February 03, 2016, 03:56:11 PM »
easyJet to Trial Hybrid Hydrogen Fuel-Cell Aircraft
The hybrid plane concept utilises a hydrogen fuel cell stowed in the aircraft’s hold. This innovative zero-emissions system allows energy to be captured as the aircraft brakes on landing and is used to charge the system’s lightweight batteries when the aircraft is on the ground (much like the Kinetic Energy Recovery System (KERS) found in Formula 1 cars).

The energy can then be used by the aircraft – for example when taxiing – without needing to use their jet engines.  Due to the high frequency and short sector lengths of easyJet’s operations, around 4% of the airline’s total fuel consumed annually is used when the airline’s aircraft are taxiing.  easyJet’s aircraft average 20 minutes of taxi time per flight – the equivalent of around four million miles a year – akin to travelling to the moon and back eight times.

Each aircraft would have motors in their main wheels and electronics and system controllers would give pilots total control of the aircraft’s speed, direction and braking during taxi operations. The system would therefore reduce, if not remove altogether, the need for tugs to manoeuvre aircraft in and out of stands, delivering more efficient turnaround times and increased on time performance.
http://electriccarsreport.com/2016/02/easyjet-to-trial-hydrogen-fuel-cell-aircraft/

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: February 03, 2016, 03:58:46 PM »
Green Car Reports offers their five-year forecast.

Top Six Trends In Plug-In Electric Cars Through 2020
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1102160_top-six-trends-in-plug-in-electric-cars-through-2020

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: February 03, 2016, 05:16:57 PM »
Paris to add 1000 electric scooters to its Vélib’ and AutoLib petrol-free transportation army
http://electrek.co/2016/02/03/paris-1000-electric-scooters-velib-autolib/

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: February 08, 2016, 03:37:13 PM »
Tesla to offer free charging at home and power its Supercharger network with 100% renewable energy in Sweden
Under the new partnership, which is the first of its kind for Tesla, Model S owners will enjoy free charging at home for up to 45,000 km (28,000 miles) over a 3 year period.

Tesla Director for Nordic countries Peter Bardenfleth-Hansen said that the partnership will serve as a model for Tesla’s future associations with electric utilities:

“Skellefteå Kraft is a highly sustainable brand that really stands out approaching the world’s contemporary challenges. It requires motivation, creativity and perseverance. We like partners with a strong maverick profile. With this agreement, our Swedish customers can enjoy even more environmentally friendly electricity free of charge, whilst we at Tesla can look forward to our first energy company partnership that can serve as a role model for how to build sustainable partnerships in the future.”
http://electrek.co/2016/02/08/tesla-free-charging-home-sweden/

Sleepy

« Reply #825 on: February 08, 2016, 04:43:15 PM »
That's true.
In practice this means that if you own a Tesla and also select Skellefteå Kraft as your electricity supplier, you will receive a discount of 154 SEK per month on your electricity bill.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: February 09, 2016, 04:36:04 PM »

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: February 09, 2016, 05:25:45 PM »

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: February 09, 2016, 08:37:55 PM »
Porsche is spending €1B, hiring 1000 workers to become an electric carmaker
http://electrek.co/2016/02/09/porsche-is-spending-e1b-hiring-1000-workers-to-become-an-electric-carmaker/

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: February 11, 2016, 01:24:53 AM »
The Tesla Fourth Quarter / 2015 financial results conference call just ended. 

Cash flow changed from negative for each of the first three quarters of 2015, to strongly positive in quarter four.  Still on track to reveal the ($35,000 US) Model 3 at the end of next month, with production starting the end of 2017.  Gigafactory ramp up is proceeding, and battery production should not be a constraint for the Model 3.  The Freemont, CA factory should be able to produce the 500,000 cars a year Musk wants by 2020.

[Live Blog] Tesla’s financial results Q4 2015 and conference call
http://electrek.co/2016/02/10/live-blog-tesla-q4-2015/

Orders for Tesla all-electric cars are up in 2016, displacing an almost equal number of large luxury gas car sales:
Tesla shows how the Model S is totally disrupting the Large Luxury car market in the US
http://electrek.co/2016/02/10/tesla-shows-how-the-model-s-is-totally-disrupting-the-large-luxury-car-market-in-the-us/

From the shareholder letter:
Additionally, we continue to see no perceptible impact to our order growth from the change in the price of gasoline as our order rates have continued to increase even as the price of gasoline has fallen. In fact, our customers tell us they value a Tesla vehicle more for its superior performance, technology, safety, lower environmental impact and style than for its ability to save money on fuel.
The Q4 shareholder letter is here:
http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/ABEA-4CW8X0/599848170x0x874449/945B9CF5-86DA-4C35-B03C-4892824F058D/Q4_15_Tesla_Update_Letter.pdf

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
  • Don't Vote NatC or PopCon, Save Lives!
    • View Profile
    • The Arctic sea ice Great White Con
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 87
« Reply #830 on: February 11, 2016, 11:11:32 AM »
Tesla get a mention in Robin Berg's recent TEDx talk in Utrecht:

Robin Berg’s TEDx talk on “A new local energy and transport system”

Tomorrow your car will run electric. The day after it will power your house. It will be 100% renewable, it will be 100% clean, and it will be the end of coal, oil and gas.

Let's go!

See also: https://twitter.com/V2gUK/status/697722104213540864

Any chance of a "Retweet" or three?
"The most revolutionary thing one can do always is to proclaim loudly what is happening" - Rosa Luxemburg

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: February 11, 2016, 02:50:11 PM »
Reservations for the $35,000 Tesla Model 3 will begin, globally, in stores March 31 -- and on-line April 1.
The reservation amount is only going to be $1,000.

That's $35,000 before incentives.

Musk Tweetstorms Model 3 signup details: March 31st stores, April 1st online, $1000 deposit, no Signature series, more
This is going to be pandemonium – well as much as the auto industry has ever seen.
http://electrek.co/2016/02/11/musk-tweetstorms-model-3-signup-details-march-31st-stores-april-1st-online-1000-deposit-no-signature-series-more/

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
  • Don't Vote NatC or PopCon, Save Lives!
    • View Profile
    • The Arctic sea ice Great White Con
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 87
« Reply #832 on: February 11, 2016, 03:10:31 PM »
Musk Tweetstorms Model 3 signup details: March 31st stores, April 1st online, $1000 deposit

I'm afraid I am unable to resist temptation  :-[

https://twitter.com/V2gUK/status/697784188309782529
"The most revolutionary thing one can do always is to proclaim loudly what is happening" - Rosa Luxemburg

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: February 11, 2016, 06:56:39 PM »
Greater incentive offered for lower-priced EVs.

Ontario is increasing its EV incentives up to $10,000 per vehicle, but not for Tesla
http://electrek.co/2016/02/11/ontario-ev-incentives-tesla/

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: February 11, 2016, 08:46:41 PM »
About that $7,500 U.S. tax credit for EVs:

An early Tesla Model 3 reservation could determine if you get the $7,500 US tax credit or not
http://electrek.co/2016/02/11/tesla-model-3-reservation-us-tax-credit/

ghoti

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 12
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #835 on: February 11, 2016, 11:56:31 PM »
Happy that Ontario is increasing the EV rebates but I think the increase in rebate is about half the price increase expected as a result of the devaluation of the Canadian dollar. Rebates increase about 17%. Dollar declined about 30% this year. No EVs are made in Canada yet. Pacifica van coming soon.

Sleepy

« Reply #836 on: February 12, 2016, 04:57:28 AM »
Model 3 will probably topple over 400.000 SEK here for a useful version (as discussed earlier). That's roughly 48.000 dollars.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: February 12, 2016, 05:57:14 PM »
Model 3 will probably topple over 400.000 SEK here for a useful version (as discussed earlier). That's roughly 48.000 dollars.

On the bright side, Elon said the Model 3 orders requesting the most options will be produced first....  ;)

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: February 12, 2016, 05:57:45 PM »

Sleepy

« Reply #839 on: February 13, 2016, 07:12:40 AM »

On the bright side, Elon said the Model 3 orders requesting the most options will be produced first....  ;)
:)
The Renault Clio Electrique from the late nineties still works. The lack of range was included in their optionless package too. ;)

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #840 on: February 13, 2016, 03:08:28 PM »
Elon Musk’s Daring Pays Off For Tesla
Astoundingly, Tesla is now fully in the big leagues of luxury sedans. A few take-aways with broad relevance:

-This is an industry that was supposed to be impossible for outsiders to enter. The capital requirements are so large and economies of scale so important that the global giants seemed to hold all the cards. In fact, far from permitting new entrants, the industry has been consolidating into a few behemoths. Yet Tesla, founded 13 years ago, is now an important competitor in the most profitable segment of the business. It achieved the impossible by pioneering a fundamentally different technology and using a different business model that eliminates dealerships. If this industry can be disrupted by a startup competitor, any industry can be.
http://fortune.com/2016/02/12/elon-musk-tesla/

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: February 17, 2016, 05:02:31 PM »
A California transit authority goes 100% electric with order for 85 BYD electric buses
The Antelope Valley Transit Authority (AVTA), which serves some 450,000 residents in the northern Los Angeles metro region, says it has taken a step toward becoming the first 100% electric public transit fleet in the country, ordering up to 85 BYD electric buses over a five-year period.

BYD will deliver a variety of e-bus models, including a 40-foot low-floor transit bus, a 60-foot low-floor articulated bus and a 45-foot commuter coach, each with a range of more than 160 miles. BYD will build the e-buses at its facility in Lancaster, California.

AVTA is also installing a wireless charging system from Utah-based WAVE, which will extend the fleet’s range to be able to serve the agency’s longest rural routes.

AVTA expects to save more than $46 million over the life of the buses compared to legacy diesel vehicles – approximately $46,000 per bus per year.

“I’m pleased to chair a transit agency as forward-thinking as AVTA that has the political will to do something no other transit agency in the country has done yet – go all-electric,” said Marvin Christ, Chairman of the AVTA Board of Directors. “There are multiple benefits to electrifying our bus fleet, from creating jobs and eliminating harmful air pollutants, to reducing dependence on foreign oil.”
https://chargedevs.com/newswire/california-transit-authority-goes-100-electric-with-order-for-85-byd-electric-buses/

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: February 17, 2016, 05:10:08 PM »
US Falls Behind Europe and China in Global Plug-in Vehicle Market
To influence consumer behavior, governments can choose between positive and negative incentives. In the US, we offer discounts for plug-in purchases and special perks like access to carpool lanes for solo drivers, but the US government has been reluctant to discourage drivers of less efficient vehicles with higher taxes either at the time of purchase or at the pump. This helps explain why sport utility vehicles accounted for nearly half the vehicles purchased here last year, while EV sales were stagnant.
http://www.plugincars.com/us-falls-behind-europe-and-china-global-plug-vehicle-market-131369.html

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: February 17, 2016, 05:20:01 PM »
New report examines responses from major car companies about addressing climate risk.
In the wake of the VW scandal – which saw huge losses to shareholder value – a group of investors with over £625bn in assets under management queried the largest automotive manufacturers on issues related to climate risk to their businesses, in particular, critical greenhouse gas emissions standards evolving in the US and the EU. This initiative was coordinated by UK non-profits ShareAction and InfluenceMap. This report reviews the responses received from the companies, outlining where further information could be requested, and offers recommendations for how investors could incorporate this issue into a broader strategy for managing climate risk.
http://influencemap.org/site/data/000/168/IM_Report_Automotive_Feb_2016.pdf

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: February 18, 2016, 02:53:42 PM »
Almost half of GM’s propulsion division is now working on electric and alternative drivetrains
While announcing the renaming of its GM Powertrain to GM Global Propulsion Systems this week, the automaker gave us a glimpse at the structure of the division and disclosed that almost half of its engineers are now working on electric and alternative propulsion systems.

In a press release, GM says that the new naming scheme is to formally reflect “the industry trends and its evolution over the years”. The company highlights the fact that it is expanding capabilities, and especially mentions the all-electric drivetrain of Chevrolet Bolt EV and the Voltec propulsion system in the Chevrolet Volt .

Though it would be fair to mention that the GM developed the Bolt and its drivetrain through a partnership with LG, which will manufacture a surprising number of critical parts of the Bolt.

GM also confirmed that more than 8,600 people now work at the propulsion division.
http://electrek.co/2016/02/18/gm-propulsion-division-electric/

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: February 19, 2016, 08:00:04 PM »
The Koch brothers are planning an offensive against electric vehicles through a multimillion-dollar lobbying campaign
According to the Huffington Post, the Kochs are teaming up with James Mahoney, a member of their company’s board, and lobbyist Charlie Drevna, who until recently was the head of the American Fuel and Petrochemical Manufacturers. Their mission will be to “make the public aware of all the benefits of petroleum-based transportation fuels”.

The group has been courting oil companies to raise money for the lobbying effort in “changing the energy narrative” in the US. The report doesn’t say exactly when the group will officially launch its offensive, but it will probably be around this spring or summer.
http://electrek.co/2016/02/19/koch-brothers-against-electric-vehicles/

JimD

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: February 19, 2016, 11:14:42 PM »
Re Tesla:  I can't resist.

I believe that Tesla will be bankrupt by 2020 and sold off or out of business.  There are a lot of others out there that think so as well and there is nothing in the latest financial statement which would change that outlook.

Some examples:

On January 19, Tesla’s general counsel Todd Maron participated in a panel discussion at the Federal Trade Commission on reforming the laws governing state automotive markets and casually made a jaw-dropping claim: “we make money from one thing: car sales and car sales alone.”  The truth is exactly the opposite. The company has always lost money on every vehicle sold, making its money by participating in government programs, most significantly by selling California Zero Emissions Vehicle credits.  And declining oil prices have made the case for electric cars less connected to economic reality than ever.

Last year I laid out the case that Tesla is more in the business of harvesting prodigious subsidies from governments than in selling vehicles in an article at National Review. ...

Tesla owes its survival to subsidies from taxpayers, who are usually less well-heeled than its plutocratic customers; this Silicon Valley start-up has gotten $4.9 billion in state and federal support over the past decade, according to a May 30 Los Angeles Times report.” ....

https://www.conservativereview.com/commentary/2016/01/tesla-tells-tales-at-the-ftc

Don't mistake what it says above.  Tesla survives on taxpayer subsidies which are provided by folks whom the vast majority of can't afford to buy one of their cars.  It is a case of the regular guy getting screwed so some rich puke can run around in a ev sports car.  There is nothing right about that situation.

Re the 4th quarter results ballyhooed in the posts above.  Telsa lost $1.29/share in the 4th qtr.  And it lost money in every quarter in 2015 and each quarter was worse than the one before.  It has lost billions so far and that is with the $4.9 billion in subsidies it has received.

...Uncertainty about Tesla's prospects revolves around some short-term concerns and a broader long-term threat from the old-line auto companies of Detroit, Germany and Japan.

In the short run, investors are watching for Musk to say how quickly Tesla can ramp up production of the new Model X SUV, which launched in September. 

In January, Tesla said it delivered a total of 17,400 vehicles in the fourth quarter, just above the low end of its forecast. Of those, only 208 were Model X vehicles.

Analysts also are questioning whether Tesla's long-promised moderately priced car, the Model 3, will be delayed beyond its current projected 2017 launch date.

Questions about the Model 3 are more pointed now that General Motors Co (GM.N) has confirmed it expects its $35,000 Chevy Bolt electric car to launch at the end of this year.

German competitors also are speeding up plans to offer luxury electric cars. Established automakers were slow to respond to Tesla's technological lead in offering customers new features via over-the-air software upgrades, for example, but others are now investing to catch up.

Tesla now faces "sleepy (auto) giants waking up," according to analysts Adam Hull and Paul Kratz from German bank Berenberg, who initiated coverage of Tesla with a "sell" rating.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-tesla-preview-idUSKCN0VH27O

Tesla has been playing in the luxury car market for some time now and has been unable to make any money at all.  It has lost a lot.  But that is competing with Porsche, BMW and the like in the +$100K market.  This market is not a significant factor in the auto business as a whole and is totally irrelevant in regards to dealing with climate change.  We don't need any stinking luxury cars period whether they are ev or ice.  F**K the rich guys toys.  Not to mention that BMW and Porsche will enter the ev market to compete with them and this will hurt Tesla a lot as Tesla has a history of quality problems which they do not have.

But now Musk wants to play with the big boys in the regular car market.  But all the factors weigh against him there.  He will not beat them to the market as they already have lower cost ev's and will have a host of models and options long before Tesla hits the market.  And they are configured to actually be able to pretty much break even or even make a profit on them due to their vastly superior efficiency in manufacturing and purchasing of materials.  Not to mention their superior ability to put the cars in front of the consumer through their dealer networks.

All of the big car companies will be offering significant numbers of ev models in the near term and Tesla will no longer be able to make these crazy claims that they are running at a loss in the luxury market in order to break into the low end markets.  Since it is unlikely that they can sell their model 3 for a profit the writing is pretty much on the wall.  They are not likely to survive long term.

...Morgan Stanley analyst Adam Jonas, a longtime proponent of buying Tesla shares, doesn't believe Tesla's Model 3 will hit the streets until late 2018—at least a year after Musk has promised it would appear. [insert by me-Tesla has always been late]
To make matters worse for cash-strapped Tesla enthusiasts, the first cars off the production line probably won't be the sticker-price base model. Tesla likes to launch new products with a feature-rich Signature Series, which in the case of the Model X would cost about 75 percent more than the base model. For the Model 3, Jonas anticipates an initial average price of at least $60,000 before tax incentives.
Here's where the road to a $25,000 Tesla gets a little twisted. The U.S. federal tax incentive for electric cars won't be around forever. It is designed to help ease carmakers into the electric market. The credit is applied to the first 200,000 electric sales for each new manufacturer; then the value of the incentive slowly fades to zero over about a year and a half.
Tesla is on track to reach its 200,000th sale around the middle of 2018. If Model 3 deliveries don't start until the end of 2018, and a higher-priced Signature Series soaks up the incentives for 2019, then by the time a "mass-market" buyer gets a shot at a lower-priced Model 3, the incentives could be gone. In that case, a $35,000 Tesla would just be a $35,000 Tesla. In the meantime, however, Chevy has plans to start selling its 200-mile-range Bolt for $30,000 by the end of 2016, which would mean beating Tesla to its goal of an affordable long-range electric car by a significant margin....

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-02-09/will-the-tesla-model-3-really-sell-for-25-000

Tesla is a great stock market play at times and if one is nimbal.  But they are far from a sound company in financial terms and their long term prospects are not bright.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: February 20, 2016, 05:44:24 PM »
Your Rigged VW Will Get Fixed Sometime Between Now and 2048
Volkswagen AG will need to speed up its recall of rigged diesel engines in Germany dramatically to finish within a year as planned, because at the current rate the process won’t be done before 2048.

Since starting repairs to 2.4 million affected cars in its home country three weeks ago, Volkswagen has fixed 4,300 vehicles. That’s a rate of about 1,400 autos a week, when more than 46,000 would need to be processed weekly for the company to finish within a year.

The sluggish pace at which the recall has progressed highlights the huge logistical challenge facing the company: Fixes must be devised for different cars types and engines, customers notified, appointments scheduled. Still, Volkswagen is a step ahead in Germany compared with the impasse it’s enduring in the U.S., where authorities have yet to sign off on a technical fix after throwing out previous proposals by the company’s engineers.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-02-19/your-rigged-vw-will-get-fixed-sometime-between-now-and-2048

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: February 22, 2016, 02:49:12 PM »
Hey!   8)

Special Electric Car Winter Tires
Nokian is making the first winter tire optimized for electric cars such as the BMW i3. It combines extremely low rolling resistance, excellent grip, and exceptional driving comfort, the company says. It is the first winter tire with an A energy rating and can reduce rolling resistance as much as 30%.
http://evobsession.com/special-electric-car-winter-tires/

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: February 23, 2016, 02:43:08 AM »
VW May Be Forced to Clean the Air Its Diesel Cars Polluted
Volkswagen AG may have to do more than fix half-a-million cars implicated in an emissions-cheating scandal: It also could be forced to undo the environmental damage.

Environmental and consumer groups are pushing the federal government to consider a long list of possible reparations, from a VW-funded program to build the infrastructure to power electric cars to high fines to cleaning up five times the amount of pollution released by the dirty diesel engines.

“The clean-air reparations must be so large that Volkswagen or other companies will never again be tempted to cheat,” said Frank O’Donnell, president of Clean Air Watch, an environmental group based in Washington.

There’s precedent for a U.S. settlement with automakers going beyond repairing or replacing affected vehicles. In the 1990’s, the Environmental Protection Agency forced truck manufacturers that had cheated on emissions tests to invest $1 billion on cleaner engines, among other things.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-02-22/vw-may-be-forced-to-clean-the-air-its-diesel-cars-polluted