Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: The Impact of Rising Sea Levels...  (Read 6515 times)

Bob Wallace

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 41
  • Likes Given: 5
The Impact of Rising Sea Levels...
« on: February 23, 2013, 03:34:01 AM »
NPR did an interesting piece today about how Boston is starting to think about dealing with higher seas and higher sea surges.

http://www.npr.org/2013/02/22/172702424/boston-grapples-with-the-threat-of-storms-and-rising-water?ft=1&f=1001

And they followed that up with a short discussion about how we may need to rethink federal flood insurance.  That we may be encouraging people to undertake more risk at taxpayer expense.

My take on federal flood insurance is that we should stop making it available to any new construction in flood zones and places where rising seas would put those buildings at risk.  That would cause most people to avoid building in those areas. 

People who built/bought earlier probably should be eligible for flood insurance.  But they should get only one wipe-out experience.  After that they can take their equity to higher ground.

Artful Dodger

• Frazil ice
  • The traps have got him, and that's all about it!
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 127
Re: The Impact of Rising Sea Levels...
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 09:26:18 AM »
Sandy milestone, Feb 22, 2013:
Last shuttered New Jersey town reopens 4 months after Superstorm Sandy

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jlINI7JRu91rr6eOVK7TNv_C_ADw?docId=0bc6ff9a15e041259ac877c3edd57f77

Highlights:
  • All 500 homes in town were damaged
  • Half of all homes completely destroyed
  • Ocean completely inundated Town
  • Residents not allow to return until today
Cheers!
Lodger

RaenorShine

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 12:29:47 PM »
Interesting article on where the sea level is likely to rise most, with the pacific islands being hit worse than average.

http://www.climatecentral.org/news/ice-melt-means-uneven-sea-level-rise-around-the-world-15640

Shared Humanity

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 11:53:13 PM »
I actually read that the mid Atlantic states will see sea level rises much higher than average due to the Gulf Stream which tends to pile up water along the coast.

Artful Dodger

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 03:13:42 PM »
I actually read that the mid Atlantic states will see sea level rises much higher than average due to the Gulf Stream which tends to pile up water along the coast.

Yes, here's the SLR trend over recent past:
Cheers!
Lodger

OldLeatherneck

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 09:18:30 PM »
Yes, here's the SLR trend over recent past:

If I'm reading that chart correctly, the entire eastern coast of the Philippine archipelago is approaching 1 cm of SLR per year.  It's been over 25 years since I was in the Philippines, however I remember much of Manila to be low-lying and relatively flat.  That's another major metropolitan area soon to face the catastrophic consequences of AGW/CC.
"Share Your Knowledge.  It's a Way to Achieve Immortality."  ......the Dalai Lama

Artful Dodger

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 11:23:14 PM »
It's been over 25 years since I was in the Philippines, however I remember much of Manila to be low-lying and relatively flat.  That's another major metropolitan area soon to face the catastrophic consequences of AGW/CC.

Indeed, OLN.  8)

Subic Bay? I hear that sounds of little JH feet will soon be heard there again.

Way too much info out there to give you just one link, so here:

https://www.google.com/search?q=sea+level+rise+in+metro+manila

S.F.!
Cheers!
Lodger

OldLeatherneck

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 04:07:42 AM »
It's been over 25 years since I was in the Philippines, however I remember much of Manila to be low-lying and relatively flat.  That's another major metropolitan area soon to face the catastrophic consequences of AGW/CC.

Indeed, OLN.  8)

Subic Bay? I hear that sounds of little JH feet will soon be heard there again.

Way too much info out there to give you just one link, so here:

https://www.google.com/search?q=sea+level+rise+in+metro+manila

S.F.!

Artful Dodger,

Well yes, I have spent some time in Subic Bay.  Actually rented a house that had at one time been a 'Beer Garden'.  Had some parties there that would put the average 'Brit' under the table.

On several issues more related to Climate Change and Land Usage, I had two experiences while in the Philippines that I will share now:

1.  On the lighter note, the drive from Manila to Subic Bay required a right turn at a little village just a few miles from Mt Pinatubo.  It was a mandatory stop for a few cold San Miguels and the view of Mt Pinatubo was spectacular.  That was just a few years before the eruption that gave us a two year pause in Global Warming.

2.  On a much sadder and more personal note, I lost a nephew to a landslide in the Benguet mountains.  This was in an area that the native Igorots had denuded the forest to provide more sunlight for the growing of vegetables.  While flooding is very common in mountainous terrain, the deforestation makes it much more hazardous.

FYI,  don't get me talking (OT) about my time spent with the British Navy!!
"Share Your Knowledge.  It's a Way to Achieve Immortality."  ......the Dalai Lama

Artful Dodger

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 09:51:01 AM »

Artful Dodger,

Well yes, I have spent some time in Subic Bay.  Actually rented a house that had at one time been a 'Beer Garden'.

Hah! And was it called the "Juliet Hotel"?  ;D Whiskey in the Jar' ? ;)

Cheers!
Lodger