Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Global Surface Air Temperatures  (Read 865133 times)

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2268
  • Likes Given: 286
Re: Global Surface Air Temperatures
« Reply #1000 on: May 18, 2016, 09:52:05 PM »
ASLR,
Several times you written things like Ocean surface temperature "values appear to be being artificially suppressed by ice sheet meltwater". 

It certainly makes sense to me that melted ice will cool the sea water it finds itself mixing with.  I question your writing about the "artificiality" of this.  To the extent ACC is artificial, this process that is integral to CC will also be artificial.  But as I see CC as a natural response to ongoing anthropogenic activities, I see this melt water affect on sea surface temperatures as being natural too, and not the least bit artificial.

Am I missing something?  (and if so, what - and thanks for writing about this feature of climate change)

Tor,

It is possible/probable that the word "artificial" is a poor choice of words, on my part.  What I am trying to convey is that relatively thin layers of relatively fresh ocean water (due to the addition of fresh glacial meltwater) in "cool spots" in both the North Atlantic and Southern, Oceans, are temporarily (for several decades) masking the radiation of out-going longwave radiation (OLR) from warmer slightly deeper water.  This reduction in OLR increases the earth energy imbalance [or global energy imbalance in panel (b) of the first attached image from Hansen et al 2016, for which panel (a) shows the consequential/associated change in global mean surface (2m) air temperature]

James Hansen, Makiko Sato, Paul Hearty, Reto Ruedy, Maxwell Kelley, Valerie Masson-Delmotte, Gary Russell, George Tselioudis, Junji Cao, Eric Rignot, Isabella Velicogna, Blair Tormey, Bailey Donovan, Evgeniya Kandiano, Karina von Schuckmann, Pushker Kharecha, Allegra N. Legrande, Michael Bauer, and Kwok-Wai Lo (2016), "Ice melt, sea level rise and superstorms: evidence from paleoclimate data, climate modeling, and modern observations that 2 °C global warming could be dangerous", Atmos. Chem. Phys., 16, 3761-3812, doi:10.5194/acp-16-3761-2016

http://www.atmos-chem-phys.net/16/3761/2016/acp-16-3761-2016.html
Abstract: "We use numerical climate simulations, paleoclimate data, and modern observations to study the effect of growing ice melt from Antarctica and Greenland. Meltwater tends to stabilize the ocean column, inducing amplifying feedbacks that increase subsurface ocean warming and ice shelf melting. Cold meltwater and induced dynamical effects cause ocean surface cooling in the Southern Ocean and North Atlantic, thus increasing Earth's energy imbalance and heat flux into most of the global ocean's surface. Southern Ocean surface cooling, while lower latitudes are warming, increases precipitation on the Southern Ocean, increasing ocean stratification, slowing deepwater formation, and increasing ice sheet mass loss. These feedbacks make ice sheets in contact with the ocean vulnerable to accelerating disintegration. We hypothesize that ice mass loss from the most vulnerable ice, sufficient to raise sea level several meters, is better approximated as exponential than by a more linear response. Doubling times of 10, 20 or 40 years yield multi-meter sea level rise in about 50, 100 or 200 years. Recent ice melt doubling times are near the lower end of the 10–40-year range, but the record is too short to confirm the nature of the response. The feedbacks, including subsurface ocean warming, help explain paleoclimate data and point to a dominant Southern Ocean role in controlling atmospheric CO2, which in turn exercised tight control on global temperature and sea level. The millennial (500–2000-year) timescale of deep-ocean ventilation affects the timescale for natural CO2 change and thus the timescale for paleo-global climate, ice sheet, and sea level changes, but this paleo-millennial timescale should not be misinterpreted as the timescale for ice sheet response to a rapid, large, human-made climate forcing. These climate feedbacks aid interpretation of events late in the prior interglacial, when sea level rose to +6–9 m with evidence of extreme storms while Earth was less than 1 °C warmer than today. Ice melt cooling of the North Atlantic and Southern oceans increases atmospheric temperature gradients, eddy kinetic energy and baroclinicity, thus driving more powerful storms. The modeling, paleoclimate evidence, and ongoing observations together imply that 2 °C global warming above the preindustrial level could be dangerous. Continued high fossil fuel emissions this century are predicted to yield (1) cooling of the Southern Ocean, especially in the Western Hemisphere; (2) slowing of the Southern Ocean overturning circulation, warming of the ice shelves, and growing ice sheet mass loss; (3) slowdown and eventual shutdown of the Atlantic overturning circulation with cooling of the North Atlantic region; (4) increasingly powerful storms; and (5) nonlinearly growing sea level rise, reaching several meters over a timescale of 50–150 years. These predictions, especially the cooling in the Southern Ocean and North Atlantic with markedly reduced warming or even cooling in Europe, differ fundamentally from existing climate change assessments. We discuss observations and modeling studies needed to refute or clarify these assertions."

The second two images come from the following reference and show that the Southern Ocean is already more stratified and the circumpolar deep water, CDW, is already warmer than the CMIP5 models indicate:
R. Bintanja, G. J. van Oldenborgh, S. S. Drijfhout, B. Wouters & C. A. Katsman, (2013), "Important role for ocean warming and increased ice-shelf melt in Antarctic sea-ice expansion", Nature Geoscience, Volume: 6, 376–379, (2013), doi:10.1038/ngeo1767.

http://www.nature.com/ngeo/journal/v6/n5/full/ngeo1767.html

Next, the linked Aquarius satellite data provides the fourth attached image of the sea surface density for April 2015, indicating how fresh both the North Atlantic and the Southern Ocean are becoming relative to the other oceans of the world; which is a clear sign that the Hansen et al (2016) ice-climate feedback mechanism has already begun:

http://aquarius.umaine.edu/cgi/gal_density.htm

So while I agree that "artificial" is not the best choice of words, nevertheless: (1) the CMIP5 (and the AR5) models do not include the influence of Hansen et al (2016)'s ice-climate feedback; and (2) while this feedback does decrease the measured GMST departures; nevertheless it results in increase climate change due to the increase in Earth Energy Imbalance, EEI, which induces such effects as: (a) accelerated ice sheet mass loss; (b) increased intensity of storm activity; and (c) a slowing of thermohaline circulation, THC, which increases surface temperatures near the equator.  In this sense, rather than "artificially" reducing GMST departures, the glacial meltwater is temporarily masking the future increases in GMST departures, while currently accelerating climate change to the extent of inducing an effective ECS of about 6C.  Finally, this discussion indicates that the 2C target was established without consideration of ice-climate feedback and thus it artificially creates a false sense of security in the public and policy makers with regard to climate change risk.

Best,
ASLR
“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.”
― Leon C. Megginson

anthropocene

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 37
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #1001 on: May 18, 2016, 10:55:00 PM »
Given that Hansen et al (2016)'s ice-climate feedback mechanism is already active (see the first two images of the CCI-Reanalyzer SH & NH GMST departure 5-day forecast issued May 17, respectively, and the third image of Karsten Haustein's GMST departure forecast from May 17 to 24 2016), it is my opinion that observing global mean surface temperature departures is no longer an acceptable measure of climate change.  Therefore, does anyone have a link to current monthly data monitoring Earth Energy Imbalance as shown by the fourth image through 2009?

Hi ASLR, You seem to be implying that GMST is no longer showing an accurate representation of the accumulated energy in the earth system because the melted ice is skewing the temperature to the cool side.  This introduces the danger that it will not be recognised how hot the other regions are becoming. Wouldn't SLR be the most suitable replacement? 90% of additional energy goes into the ocean causing it to expand and a lot of the increased air temperature is being used to melt ice which will also increase sea levels. OK SLR is variable (mainly due to El Nino/La Nina cycles) but GMST is also affected in a similar way and to a similar extent.

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: May 18, 2016, 11:45:33 PM »
Given that Hansen et al (2016)'s ice-climate feedback mechanism is already active (see the first two images of the CCI-Reanalyzer SH & NH GMST departure 5-day forecast issued May 17, respectively, and the third image of Karsten Haustein's GMST departure forecast from May 17 to 24 2016), it is my opinion that observing global mean surface temperature departures is no longer an acceptable measure of climate change.  Therefore, does anyone have a link to current monthly data monitoring Earth Energy Imbalance as shown by the fourth image through 2009?

Hi ASLR, You seem to be implying that GMST is no longer showing an accurate representation of the accumulated energy in the earth system because the melted ice is skewing the temperature to the cool side.  This introduces the danger that it will not be recognised how hot the other regions are becoming. Wouldn't SLR be the most suitable replacement? 90% of additional energy goes into the ocean causing it to expand and a lot of the increased air temperature is being used to melt ice which will also increase sea levels. OK SLR is variable (mainly due to El Nino/La Nina cycles) but GMST is also affected in a similar way and to a similar extent.

anthropocene,

As I am saying that most of the confusion is coming from the cool spots in the ocean, the simplest fix (as I cannot find any monthly values for Earth Energy Imbalance, EEI) would be to set a target for the Land GMST departs as reported by NOAA in the link for a 1901 to 2000 base period; which gives a much clearer idea of the acceleration we are all experiencing (especially as we mostly all live on land):

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/cag/time-series/global/globe/land/p12/12/1880-2016.csv

Global Land Temperature Anomalies
Units: Degrees Celsius
Base Period: 1901-2000
Year,   Value

Edit to get from a 1901-2000 baseline to a pre-industrial baseline one might add about +0.3C.

However, if you want to start tracking SLR I suggest tracking Jason-2 measurements at the following link.  The attached image shows the trend for the Jason-2 for the time period from ~2009 – today; which is +4.4mm/yr.

Edit: Note that at the link you need to click on the Time-Series button to get the indicated plot.

http://www.aviso.altimetry.fr/en/data/products/ocean-indicators-products/mean-sea-level/products-images.html

Best,
ASLR
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 11:52:48 PM by AbruptSLR »
“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.”
― Leon C. Megginson

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
« Reply #1003 on: May 19, 2016, 12:12:27 AM »
Thanks, ASLR.  Two things:
1) I should have written "It certainly makes sense to me that melted ice will cool the sea water surface it finds itself mixing with or floating on top of. "
2) I'm forgetting the number of years, but if it takes, let's say, 200 years to melt the bulk of Greenland ice (at accelerating melt rates), wouldn't the related cold surface water continue to (and increasingly) mal-affect climate for that entire time, and not just for a few decades? (And of course, the same thing around Antarctica, only for a much longer time.)
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: May 19, 2016, 12:28:46 AM »
Thanks, ASLR.  Two things:
1) I should have written "It certainly makes sense to me that melted ice will cool the sea water surface it finds itself mixing with or floating on top of. "
2) I'm forgetting the number of years, but if it takes, let's say, 200 years to melt the bulk of Greenland ice (at accelerating melt rates), wouldn't the related cold surface water continue to (and increasingly) mal-affect climate for that entire time, and not just for a few decades? (And of course, the same thing around Antarctica, only for a much longer time.)

Tor,

First, the cool spots that I provided images of are already occurring in the North Atlantic and in the Southern Ocean.  Which, indicates that the ice-climate feedback indicated by Hansen et al (2016) is already starting at a low level.
Second, while most of the Greenland Ice Sheet, GIS, is safe from abrupt ice mass loss, I believe that the marine terminating GIS glaciers could contribute about 10mm of SLR within the next few decades.
Third, the higher level of abrupt ice sheet mass loss postulated by Hansen et al (2016) to come in a few decades, are supported for Antarctica by DeConto & Pollard (2016) due to cliff failures and hydrofracturing as indicated by the attached images from the following reference (regarding the timeframe shown by DeConto & Pollard (2016), I note that NOAA has warned that it is possible that sea level might rise by as much as 3m by 2050-2060):

Robert M. DeConto & David Pollard (31 March 2016), "Contribution of Antarctica to past and future sea-level rise", Nature, Volume: 531, Pages: 591–597, doi:10.1038/nature17145

http://www.nature.com/articles/nature17145.epdf?referrer_access_token=px-zRubs4M6aBBPl42_1GdRgN0jAjWel9jnR3ZoTv0M-pvJMg7VLINRa2mnTNsvXfjbAFNU4M9sSVFBNmnefzinIWT5DIW6fVmmjzqPkWPG0EWAexculA_Dh1H0gVAzIYAUjdsj8uznmBvFk8_blNOM5-opyiSaKMyaJis4af48A0kgec2kZ8QcJLEQ0CKHzo1BxzQZ7aHlC6ggm5qLKPX8C4yz0OZ4SKpsmFZlbgUA%3D&tracking_referrer=www.nature.com

Best,
ASLR

Edit: The linked insurance article discusses how NOAA has new information indicating that sea level could rise by 3m in the 2050-2060 timeframe due to instabilities in the West Antarctic Ice Sheet, WAIS:

http://www.insurancejournal.com/news/national/2016/04/12/405089.htm
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 12:40:04 AM by AbruptSLR »
― Leon C. Megginson

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
« Reply #1005 on: May 19, 2016, 01:47:14 AM »
I note that folks on these ASIF threads have been commenting on the cold spot off the coast of SE Greenland for about a year IIRC, and occasionally (and more recently) about Southern Ocean areas.
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: May 20, 2016, 06:20:10 PM »
The attached CCI-Reanalyzer SH 5-day SAT departure forecast issued May 20 2016, makes it very clear that at least three of the cool spots in the Southern Ocean are associated with ice meltwater from: the Ronne-Filchner, the Ross and the Amery, Ice shelves. 

Therefore, I ask Steven whether he can provide the CMIP5 mean and 95% CL range for the Land surface atmosphere temperature departures for 2016, as I would like to begin tracking the 12-month running average NOAA Land SAT departure measurements against the CMIP5 projections for 2016.
― Leon C. Megginson

Steven

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic sea ice data and graphs
  • Liked: 481
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #1007 on: May 21, 2016, 08:46:08 PM »
The attached CCI-Reanalyzer SH 5-day SAT departure forecast issued May 20 2016, makes it very clear that at least three of the cool spots in the Southern Ocean are associated with ice meltwater from: the Ronne-Filchner, the Ross and the Amery, Ice shelves. 

You are reading too much into that weather map.  The cool spots over the southern ocean in that map are probably due to katabatic winds from Antarctica.  These cool spots correspond to the areas with southerly winds in the link below for 22 May 2016:

https://earth.nullschool.net/#2016/05/22/1800Z/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-360,-90,300

Therefore, I ask Steven whether he can provide the CMIP5 mean and 95% CL range for the Land surface atmosphere temperature departures for 2016

Relative to baseline 1951-1980, the CMIP5 mean land surface air temperature anomaly for 2016 under the RCP8.5 scenario is 1.31°C  (with 95% CI: 0.8 to 1.8°C).  That is without forcing adjustment.  To correct for that, subtract 0.1°C or 0.15°C or so from these numbers.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 09:48:10 PM by Steven »

Steven

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic sea ice data and graphs
  • Liked: 481
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #1008 on: May 21, 2016, 08:55:33 PM »
The linked insurance article discusses how NOAA has new information indicating that sea level could rise by 3m in the 2050-2060 timeframe due to instabilities in the West Antarctic Ice Sheet, WAIS:

http://www.insurancejournal.com/news/national/2016/04/12/405089.htm

That insurance article is greatly exaggerated.

The article is loosely based on a recent talk by a NOAA official, Margaret Davidson, who talked about some recent studies on sea level rise.  Davidson is not a scientist.  At some point, she seems to have said that her "personal opinion is increasingly leaning toward 2-3 meters in next 50 years".

The journalist (Don Jergler) seems to have exaggerated Davidson's statement considerably, and failed to mention that it was just Davidson's personal opinion.

Davidson said that she considers "seeking a correction to the article in the Insurance Journal".  In any case it is clear that that article is not a reliable source of information.  See this discussion on twitter:

https://twitter.com/EricHolthaus/status/723227281636745216
https://twitter.com/EricHolthaus/status/723226584212078592
https://twitter.com/EricHolthaus/status/723226178329309185

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: May 22, 2016, 01:25:12 AM »
Relative to baseline 1951-1980, the CMIP5 mean land surface air temperature anomaly for 2016 under the RCP8.5 scenario is 1.31°C  (with 95% CI: 0.8 to 1.8°C).  That is without forcing adjustment.  To correct for that, subtract 0.1°C or 0.15°C or so from these numbers.

Thank you very much.
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: May 22, 2016, 01:12:28 PM »
That insurance article is greatly exaggerated.

The article is loosely based on a recent talk by a NOAA official, Margaret Davidson, who talked about some recent studies on sea level rise.  Davidson is not a scientist.  At some point, she seems to have said that her "personal opinion is increasingly leaning toward 2-3 meters in next 50 years".

The journalist (Don Jergler) seems to have exaggerated Davidson's statement considerably, and failed to mention that it was just Davidson's personal opinion.

Davidson said that she considers "seeking a correction to the article in the Insurance Journal". 

Steven, again thank you for your valuable input.

First, regarding the insurance story, the linked ClimateCrocks and associated Eric Holthaus twitter, concurs that Margaret Davidson is not a scientist, but has sat in on meeting with scientist and she notes that current field observations indicate that portions of West Antarctic ice shelves are becoming ungrounded with lens of water beneath them:

https://climatecrocks.com/2016/04/21/caution-new-sea-level-story-may-be-a-step-too-far/

https://twitter.com/EricHolthaus/status/723226178329309185

April 21 2016 extract from Margaret Davidson, the NOAA executive that presented the preliminary findings: "and reports regarding current field observations as mentioned and discussed by experts at various scientific mtgs in presentation rooms and corridors within past 6 months

WA deteriorating rapidly...
portions of shelf are now ungrounded with a lens of water underneath like greenland but different"

Second, regarding the CCI Reanalyzer images, I concur that these 5-day weather images are not proof of anything, but rather represent information to be monitored over time to check for trends, and in this regards I attach the CCI Reanalyzer SH Surface Temp Anom 5-day forecast issued May 22 2016.

Third, per your post: "Relative to baseline 1951-1980, the CMIP5 mean land surface air temperature anomaly for 2016 under the RCP8.5 scenario is 1.31°C  (with 95% CI: 0.8 to 1.8°C).  That is without forcing adjustment.  To correct for that, subtract 0.1°C or 0.15°C or so from these numbers."

This might give force corrected 2016 RCP 8.5/CMIP5 values (baselined to 1951-1980)of about: 1.21C (with a 95% CL range of 0.7 to 1.7C)

While the following NOAA 12-month running Average GLOBAL Land Temp Anom in degrees Celsius with a base period: 1901-2000, indicate that thru April the 12-month running average (1.5179C) is already well above the force corrected CMIP5 projected mean value.  It will be interesting to watch the trends develop through the end of 2016:

Year   Jan     Feb     Mar     Apr     
'16       
run 1.3474 1.3968 1.4592 1.5179
ave                     

Best,
ASLR
― Leon C. Megginson

Laurent

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 50
« Reply #1011 on: May 23, 2016, 08:34:23 PM »
World could warm by massive 10C if all fossil fuels are burned
http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/may/23/world-could-warm-by-massive-10c-if-all-fossil-fuels-are-burned
The planet would warm by searing 10C if all fossil fuels are burned, according to a new study, leaving some regions uninhabitable and wreaking profound damage on human health, food supplies and the global economy.

The Arctic, already warming fast today, would heat up even more – 20C by 2300 – the new research into the extreme scenario found.

“I think it is really important to know what would happen if we don’t take any action to mitigate climate change,” said Katarzyna Tokarska, at the University of Victoria in Canada and who led the new research. “Even though we have the Paris climate change agreement, so far there hasn’t been any action. [This research] is a warning message.”

James Lovejoy

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #1012 on: May 24, 2016, 04:17:12 AM »
With 30 days of the 31 days of May temperature either reported by Nick Stokes or forecasted from Climate Reanalyzer by Karsten Haustein, a fairly idea of May temperatures is available.

The temperature anomaly is very likely between 0.10 to 0.15 C below April's.  That would mean another month of the highest anomaly for that month in the record, but it is a hint that 2016 is retreating from it's el Nino peak faster than 1998.

If so, a 2016 GISS anomaly will probably be less than 1.00 C, although almost certainly a new record.

Just to be clear, I'll laugh in the face of any denier who tries to start the 'no warming since Feb 2016' meme.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 04:19:32 PM by James Lovejoy »

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: May 24, 2016, 06:56:02 PM »
Here is a link to an SkS article that discusses the attached 2C Tracker (that I posted in Reply #988):

https://www.skepticalscience.com/2c-2016-04.html
― Leon C. Megginson

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1159
  • Likes Given: 430
« Reply #1014 on: May 26, 2016, 12:30:45 AM »
How to calculate climate sensitivity.  Or not.  ;)

SteveF makes a hash of climate sensitivity; I propose a solution
http://theidiottracker.blogspot.com/2016/05/stevef-makes-hash-of-climate.html
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

EgalSust

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #1015 on: May 27, 2016, 04:38:05 PM »

Hi Steven,

may I ask what is your source for these numbers? I've been looking for the CMIP5 temperature prognoses in number format, would be very interesting to have more of those (other years, other scenarios).

Cheers,
EgalSust

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: May 27, 2016, 05:33:39 PM »
Hi Steven,

may I ask what is your source for these numbers? I've been looking for the CMIP5 temperature prognoses in number format, would be very interesting to have more of those (other years, other scenarios).

Cheers,
EgalSust

I note that in Reply #953, Steven provided/stated the following:

"CMIP5 dataset can be downloaded from:

http://climexp.knmi.nl/selectfield_cmip5.cgi

Using RCP8.5, I calculate that the CMIP5 ensemble mean projection for 2016 was  0.95°C (relative to baseline 1951-1980) for global temperature, and 1.15°C for the Northern Hemisphere.   2016 will probably exceed those values, but of course it would be more meaningful to use an ENSO-neutral year (rather than a super El Nino year) to compare models vs. observations."

& in Reply #954, S.Pansa provided/stated:

"Are these CMIP5 Temps based on the updated (actual) forcings? For instance those mentioned in this Real Climate post (I guess they are from the Schmidt et.al 214 paper in Nature Geoscience). From the figure shown in this  post by Gavin Schmidt there seems to be a difference of about 0.1 C bewtween the two versions ( in 2013, pure eyeballing ).
If that is the case, would the CMIP5 ensemble mean projection for 2016  be more around 0.85°C with the updated forcings?"

I provide S.Pansa's links as follows:

http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2015/06/noaa-temperature-record-updates-and-the-hiatus/
&
http://www.realclimate.org/images/compare_1997-2015.jpg

Also I provide the attached image that S.Pansa refers to where Gavin Schmidt provides 1997-2015 force adjusted CMIP5 values.

Edit: Of course in Reply #955 Steven concurs with S.Pansa's observation with regard to the near to force adjust the original CMIP5 projections.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 05:44:16 PM by AbruptSLR »
― Leon C. Megginson

EgalSust

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: May 27, 2016, 07:39:13 PM »
Thanks for the clarification, AbruptSLR!

Here's what I come up with:

Global Land-Ocean Temperature relative to 1951-1980

CMIP5, RCP8.5
2016, no forcing correction:
min   0.6   
avg   0.95
max   1.3

2016 with forcing correction (volcanoes, sun):
min 0.5   
avg   0.85   
max1.2

---

Observations:
NASA Gistemp
2015   2016/1-4   12-month running mean, 5/2015-4/2016
0.87   1.21      0.99

To conclude: 2016 so far is 0.09 degrees below the maximum value of the 5-95% confidence range of the RCP8.5 scenario, and 0.01 above the range of the forcing corrected version. The latest 12-month running mean is 0.31 degrees below the maximum value (0.21 for the forcing corrected range), and 0,04 degrees above the RCP8.5 best estimate value (0.14 for the forcing corrected).

Pretty much what would be expected of a El Nino -situation?

I have couple of slightly off-topic ideas, which have probably been discussed somewhere here on the forums:

1) It is puzzling that the global average temperatures have been going (until the latest years) lower than the IPCC prognosis, while simultaneously Arctic Sea Ice has been disappearing faster than the IPCC estimated.

2) Why do the climate scientist community and IPCC constantly change their temperature baselines? It's driving me nuts sometimes! Why not just always use a "best estimate for pre-industrial" type baseline??? The above posted graph from Skeptical Science was a welcome exception! I'll post it here once more just for the good vibes :)

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: May 27, 2016, 10:17:59 PM »
1) It is puzzling that the global average temperatures have been going (until the latest years) lower than the IPCC prognosis, while simultaneously Arctic Sea Ice has been disappearing faster than the IPCC estimated.

It is my general understanding that during the faux hiatus period GMST departures were lower than the IPCC projections primarily because of the oceanic decadal cycles (like the PDO & DMO) were positive which temporarily stored an excess of heat content in the ocean, part of which is being released to the atmosphere this year by the recent Super El Nino; while an excessively warm ocean/Gulfstream Current contributes to less Arctic sea ice extent.  Secondarily, anthropogenic aerosols (largely from Asia) temporarily reduce GMST departures while again actually accelerating Arctic sea ice loss due to such issues as the impact of the black carbon in the Asia aerosols that get blown into the Arctic. 
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: May 27, 2016, 11:07:20 PM »
The linked article by Nick Stokes compares the land & ocean GMST departures (see the attached image for GISSlo) from 1997-98 with 2015-16 thru the end of April 2016.

http://moyhu.blogspot.com/2016/05/review-of-recent-global-temp-with-enso.html

Extract: "I have been maintaining a plot I did in February, comparing the temperatures month by month of various indices with those of 1997/98. I thought I should post the plot again here for easier access. There is some sign of recession from the peak in April, and this will probably be reinforced in May, although global SST still seems warm. In fact, I had to modify the plot somewhat, as in April for the first time, some indices (RSS and UAH, troposphere) dropped below their 1998 levels. This was because of an unusual TLT spike in 1998, where April stood out as hottest month. I have made the bars somewhat transparent."
― Leon C. Megginson

EgalSust

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1020 on: May 28, 2016, 02:57:52 PM »
I would guess 2016 ends up around 1.1 above average in the NASA estimate.

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: May 28, 2016, 05:59:12 PM »

Just so that I understand what you are saying, you propose that by Dec 31 2016 the GISS land & ocean departure from the 1951-1980 baseline will be 1.1C; which will be above the force adjusted average of 0.85C.  And to convert 1951-1980 temp departures to pre-industrial one typically adds + 0.256 Celsius, so you are proposing that by the end of 2016 the SkS tracker will report a 12-month running average value of 1.1 + 0.256 = ~ 1.356C.

Is this interpretation correct?

Edit1: If my interpretation of what you are saying is correct, then you are roughly matching the mean value of Gavin Schmidt's projection in the first attached April 15 2016 twitted image.

Personally, I lean more toward the upper end of Gavin's range closer to a 12-month running average of 1.5C above pre-industrial by Dec 31, 2016.

Edit2: I note that Gavin's April 15 2015 plot only considers 2016 data through the end of March at which time the 12-month running average GISSlo departure from pre-industrial was 1.216C; however by the end of April the 12-month running average GISSlo departure from pre-industrial was 1.246C; thus Gavin's plot needs to be updated for this higher value and consequently errs on the side of least drama, ESLD.

Edit 3: I provide the second attached image of Karsten Haustein's GMST departure forecast issued May 28 2016, which indicates that May's 2016 temp anoms are well above those for May of 2015, and that June 2016 is projected to show a hotter start than May.  All of this indicates that if/when Gavin issued updated projections, his mean value for Dec 31 2016 will be moving closer to my projection of 1.5C though at least May 2016 and most likely through at least October 2016.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 08:37:53 PM by AbruptSLR »
― Leon C. Megginson

EgalSust

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: May 28, 2016, 09:00:01 PM »

Just so that I understand what you are saying, you propose that by Dec 31 2016 the GISS land & ocean departure from the 1951-1980 baseline will be 1.1C; which will be above the force adjusted average of 0.85C.  And to convert 1951-1980 temp departures to pre-industrial one typically adds + 0.256 Celsius, so you are proposing that by the end of 2016 the SkS tracker will report a 12-month running average value of 1.1 + 0.256 = ~ 1.356C.

Is this interpretation correct?

Yes that's what I meant. I think the end of the El Nino will bow that annual average temp down a bit from what it is now after January-April (1.47 above preindustrial / 1.21 above the NASA 1951-1980 baseline).

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: May 29, 2016, 10:33:50 PM »
The attached image shows Gavin Schmidt's GISS projection for 2016 baselined to pre-industrial based on observations from Jan thru April.

It is similar to that based on observations from Jan thru March (see Reply #1025), but slightly more aggressive.
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: June 06, 2016, 08:16:27 PM »
A few days ago Nick Stokes updated the attached global surface temperature anom data through May (from the following link), which indicates how much warmer May 2016 was from May 2015:

http://moyhu.blogspot.com.au/p/latest-ice-and-temperature-data.html#Drag
― Leon C. Megginson

Lord M Vader

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 60
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #1025 on: June 13, 2016, 05:54:21 PM »
NASA GISS just arrived with their values for May.

May 2016 had an anomaly of +0,93oC above the normal period 1951-1980. This beated out May 2014 (+0,86oC) but only with a small margin of 0,07oC.

With the value for May, the spring 2016 is the warmest on record (+1,10oC) with a huge margin to 2010 which had an anomaly of +0,84oC.

In addition, April was down from +1,11oC to +1,09oC.

In any case, it is an open question whether June will beat out June 2015/1998 and become the warmest on record or if our record warm string will end now.

Best, LMV

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: June 14, 2016, 01:28:39 AM »
I provide the following comparison between the Global, NH & SH GISS Land & Ocean temperature departure values for: (a) the 2015 Mean values, (b) the approximate force adjusted CMIP5 2016 RCP 8.5 (and 95% CL range per Steven) and (c) the May 2016 12-month running average GISS temp departures (from 1951-1980).  This data shows that as compared to the RCP 8.5 CMIP5 2016 average mean value the May 2016 12-month running average Global, NH and SH are all running hot.  It will be interesting to see if this trend continues through Dec 31 2016:

GISS Land & Ocean Temp Departure degrees Celsius, base period: 1951-1980

Year                             Global         NHem        SHem
2015 Mean                        0.86           1.13          0.60 
2016 RCP 8.5/CMIP5           0.85         1.05         0.65
RCP 8.5 95% CL Range (0.5–1.2)   (0.6–1.5)    (0.3–1.0)

12-mo. running ave.
May 2016:                     1.00             1.29            0.71

(To convert 1951-1980 temp departures to pre-industrial add: + 0.256 Celsius)
― Leon C. Megginson

Lord M Vader

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: June 14, 2016, 05:03:22 PM »
Interestingly, JMAs data shows that May 2016 was barely behind May 2015, thereby breaking the long streak of record warm months. However, if my memory is correct, JMA doesn't include areas like the poles where the data is sparse.

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: June 15, 2016, 06:38:07 PM »
In the linked article & associate attached plot, Nick Stokes compares our recent GISSlo thru May 2016 with the 1997-98 values, showing that we are still considerably above the trend line:

https://moyhu.blogspot.com/2016/06/giss-down-016-in-may-still-hottest-may.html

― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: June 16, 2016, 07:29:48 PM »
The force corrected 2016 RCP 8.5/CMIP5 values (baselined to 1951-1980) is about:
1.21C (with a 95% CL range of 0.7 to 1.7C)

While the following NOAA 12-month running Average GLOBAL Land Temp Anom in degrees Celsius with a base period: 1901-2000, indicate that thru May the 12-month running average (1.50875C) is already well above the force corrected CMIP5 projected mean value.  It will be interesting to watch the trends develop through the end of 2016:

Year   Jan     Feb     Mar     Apr       May   
'16       
run 1.3474 1.3968 1.4592 1.5179 1.50875
ave                     

To get from a 1901-2000 baseline to a pre-industrial baseline one might add about +0.3C.
― Leon C. Megginson

James Lovejoy

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #1030 on: June 24, 2016, 04:43:07 AM »
Once again a combination of Nick Stokes temperature reports and karstenhaustein's projections bring us data for the month.

The central value is a reduction of the anomaly of 0.12C.  Something that might  push the temperature even lower is that the out temperature projections are higher than the near temperature projections and the reported temperature is lower still.

Taking everything into consideration, I'd give an adjusted central value anomaly of 0.79C based on GISS values.

If the actual value is exactly on, we would barely have the warmest June in our climate records.  That means that there is a significant chance that the string of warmest months could end with June.

The el nino temperature elevation is going away,  temperatures have fallen much faster than I thought they would.

2016 will still probably be the warmest year on record, but it's no longer the slam dunk I thought it was.

Lord M Vader

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: June 28, 2016, 04:52:45 PM »
June is nearing its end. Nick Stokes shows a strong warming surge for the 25-26 June with Juen 26 being the warmest day since early May. The June anomaly which so far have been +0,353oC above the 1994-2013 mean might edge upward somewhat before te month dies. Whether this is enough or not to make June 2016 to another record warm month I don't know, but the odds shouldn't decrease anyway.

Stokes values for the month after adjustments is an anomaly of about +0,90oC. The warmest June so far according to NASA is 2015 and 1998 which both had an anomaly of +0,77oC above the 1951-1980 period.

To me, it seems like there haven't been any significant drop globally in the SST anomaly during June which should enhance the odds for a record warm June.

FWIW, June 1998 is the only remaining record warm month from the 20'th century.

Lord M Vader

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: July 02, 2016, 06:01:28 PM »
June is over. The anomaly for the month according to Nick Stokes was thanks to the final warm week in the month +0,369oC above the 1994-2013 normal. Translated into NCEP values from Stokes page yields +0,906-0,923oC above normal.

From Twitter https://twitter.com/RyanMaue/status/748722635677114368, Ryan Maue has estimated the anomaly to be +0,268oC above the 1981-2010 period.

Maues analysis also shows that Antarctica  was very cold during June. From Tropical tidbits, values from CDAS shows that the global SST anomalies were very similar to May. See: http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/ocean/global.png

Given that NASAs estimations are sensitive to the poles anomalies, I think there is a decent likelihood that June 2016 will be hovering at third place behind June 2015/1998. NOAA and JMA should however have June as the warmest on record, though with a small margin.

As the last week in June was very warm globally and with a recent surge in SSTA it should be interesting to see for how long it will last.

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: July 05, 2016, 05:13:21 PM »
Nick Stokes updated the attached global surface temperature anom data through June (from the following link), which indicates how much warmer June 2016 was from June 2015:

http://moyhu.blogspot.com.au/p/latest-ice-and-temperature-data.html#Drag

― Leon C. Megginson

jai mitchell

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 208
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #1034 on: July 07, 2016, 08:00:10 PM »
This data point is from the State of the Climate data (GISS) for the month of March and adjusted to the 1951-1980 average value.  This is a reasonable approximation to what the annual average for 2016 will be and so can be compared to the RCP emission pathway values for 2050 and expected temperatures on the right. 

I sure do hope that this year's temperature jump will be a wakeup call, however, I expect that there will be significant structural resistance within the scientific community against the new data for some time (at least another year). 
Haiku of Futures Passed
My "burning embers"
are not tri-color bar graphs
+3C today

plinius

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1035 on: July 07, 2016, 08:42:00 PM »
I sure do hope that this year's temperature jump will be a wakeup call, however, I expect that there will be significant structural resistance within the scientific community against the new data for some time (at least another year).

What you believe to be "structural resistance in the scientific community" is the simple fact that a paper takes half a year to be written and another half year for review. I am not aware of any scientist who doubts the general credibility of GISS, Berkeley Earth or CRUT.

BornFromTheVoid

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 679
  • Likes Given: 299
« Reply #1036 on: July 07, 2016, 09:01:29 PM »
This data point is from the State of the Climate data (GISS) for the month of March and adjusted to the 1951-1980 average value.  This is a reasonable approximation to what the annual average for 2016 will be and so can be compared to the RCP emission pathway values for 2050 and expected temperatures on the right. 

March 2016 was near the peak anomalies of the El Nino, so the average temperature for 2016 is unlikely to be near that value, more likely at about the +1.0C mark according the the GISS LOTI data at least.
I recently joined the twitter thing, where I post more analysis, pics and animations: @Icy_Samuel

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: July 07, 2016, 09:34:41 PM »

March 2016 was near the peak anomalies of the El Nino, so the average temperature for 2016 is unlikely to be near that value, more likely at about the +1.0C mark according the the GISS LOTI data at least.

The GISS LOTI 12-mo. running ave. at the end of May 2016 was 1.00C, so if the rest of the year is typical (per the attached Schmidt project based on GISS LOTI data from Jan thru April 2016) then by the end of 2016 the GISS LOTI may well be above 1.0C (1.26C above pre-industrial).
― Leon C. Megginson

BornFromTheVoid

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: July 07, 2016, 10:54:19 PM »

The GISS LOTI 12-mo. running ave. at the end of May 2016 was 1.00C, so if the rest of the year is typical (per the attached Schmidt project based on GISS LOTI data from Jan thru April 2016) then by the end of 2016 the GISS LOTI may well be above 1.0C (1.26C above pre-industrial).

Even if the rest of the year (June to December) averages the same as May 2016, +0.93C, the average for the year will be 1.02C.
Given the influence that the neutral/-ve enso conditions is likely to exert as the year goes on, I'd say just under 1C is more likely than just over.
I recently joined the twitter thing, where I post more analysis, pics and animations: @Icy_Samuel

jai mitchell

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: July 07, 2016, 11:08:01 PM »
Correction, the data 1.35C above the 1951-1980 was February's value:  http://www.giss.nasa.gov/research/features/201603_gistemp/

Haiku of Futures Passed
My "burning embers"
+3C today

jai mitchell

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: July 07, 2016, 11:13:01 PM »

What you believe to be "structural resistance in the scientific community" is the simple fact that a paper takes half a year to be written and another half year for review. I am not aware of any scientist who doubts the general credibility of GISS, Berkeley Earth or CRUT.

No sir,

I am saying that the reality of a higher climate sensitivity, more rapid feedbacks and greatly underestimated aerosol forcing will take some time to overcome the structural inertia where a large body of established scientists will work aggressively to prevent too large of a move away from the accepted norm.  The opposition of new science that opposes the currently acceptable norm is one of the most established form of structural inertia ever studied.  Not impossible to overcome, just takes time.
Haiku of Futures Passed
My "burning embers"
+3C today

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: July 07, 2016, 11:51:01 PM »

Even if the rest of the year (June to December) averages the same as May 2016, +0.93C, the average for the year will be 1.02C.
Given the influence that the neutral/-ve enso conditions is likely to exert as the year goes on, I'd say just under 1C is more likely than just over.

It is not my intent to appear argumentative, as your position is reasonable.  Nevertheless, it is just as important to consider how low the monthly temperatures that are leaving the 12-month running average as what is yet to be included, and per the first attached image provided by Nick Stokes, June 2015 was significantly cooler than June 2016 and July 2015 was cooler than June 2015.  Furthermore, the second attached image shows NOAA's corrected Nino 3.4 forecast indicating that most likely no official La Nina will be declared in 2016.

It will be interesting to see where the final GISS LOTI ends-up for 2016.

Edit: For what it is worth the third attached image shows the NCEP GFS timeseries issued July 7 2016, that indicates that it is likely that July 2016 GISS LOTI will be warmer than June 2016 and thus much warmer than July 2015.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 12:41:28 AM by AbruptSLR »
― Leon C. Megginson

BornFromTheVoid

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: July 08, 2016, 01:21:52 AM »

It is not my intent to appear argumentative, as your position is reasonable.  Nevertheless, it is just as important to consider how low the monthly temperatures that are leaving the 12-month running average as what is yet to be included, and per the first attached image provided by Nick Stokes, June 2015 was significantly cooler than June 2016 and July 2015 was cooler than June 2015.  Furthermore, the second attached image shows NOAA's corrected Nino 3.4 forecast indicating that most likely no official La Nina will be declared in 2016.

It will be interesting to see where the final GISS LOTI ends-up for 2016.

Edit: For what it is worth the third attached image shows the NCEP GFS timeseries issued July 7 2016, that indicates that it is likely that July 2016 GISS LOTI will be warmer than June 2016 and thus much warmer than July 2015.

I don't mind a differing view point at all, I don't see that as argumentative :)

I agree that the 12 month rolling average will likely increase for the next few months. However, it's Autumn and early Winter, when we will be leaving months influence by +ve ENSO values and entering months with a mainly -ve ENSO influence (borderline El Nino to borderline La Nina), that the rolling average may tumble.

For example if the next 3 months (JJA) average the same as May, and the period of September to December average similar to 2013 (the last period with slight -ve ENSO values), the annual temp would wind up at +0.954C.

So it's all down to how long the Nino influence lingers vs how quickly the -ve values begin to make their precense felt

Sleepy

« Reply #1043 on: July 08, 2016, 11:09:08 AM »
CFSv2 nino4 mean never enters La Nina territory, neither does ECMWF. But I think seasonal forecasts are questionable now considering the present anomalies in the stratosphere, even ECMWF has been and still is, off par. The equatorial cold pool is shallower compared to previous events and the heat in the pacific is still there.

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: July 08, 2016, 05:29:18 PM »
The linked SkS article discusses a recent study that indicates that anthropogenic aerosol emissions contributed to the recent negative phase of the PDO that in-turn contributed to the faux hiatus; and it indicates that as China aggressively continues to reduce its aerosol emissions that this will likely contribute to the strength of our current positive PDO phase.  Therefore, we should not only associate the trends of the GISS LOTI with ENSO fluctuations, but we should properly account for the impacts of decreasing anthropogenic aerosol emissions:

https://www.skepticalscience.com/aerosols-key-to-slowdown.html

Extract: "Being able to recreate the impact of aerosol emissions on the PDO in climate models suggests that scientists could, in theory, have foreseen the warming slowdown, says Smith:

“Our results suggests that the warming slowdown could have been predicted – assuming changes in aerosol emissions could have been anticipated.”

The findings also suggest that changing emissions of human-caused aerosols will continue to have an impact on surface warming over the coming years, says Smith:

“Future reductions in aerosol emissions from China – to improve air quality – could promote a positive phase of the PDO and a period of increased trends in global surface temperatures. There are some signs that this could be happening.”"
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: July 08, 2016, 06:00:42 PM »
The linked plot comes from the following website, and indicates that based on the 3-month running average, that the 12-month running LOTI average will likely raise a little higher.  Also, note that the 1997-98 El Nino was followed by a La Nina event, while it is most likely that the 2015-16 El Nino will not be followed by a La Nina:

http://www.columbia.edu/~mhs119/Temperature/T_moreFigs/
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: July 10, 2016, 04:13:24 AM »
The linked June 21 2016 Tamino article is entitled: "State of the Climate: Earth’s Temperature", however, I think that his discussion tends to ESLD:

https://tamino.wordpress.com/2016/06/21/state-of-the-climate-earths-temperature/#more-8636

An example of Tamino's conservative statement is: "While the whole Earth has warmed about 1°C (1.8°F) since pre-industrial times ..."; when the GISS LOTI 12-month moving average at the end of May was 1.256C above pre-industrial (so I guess he is counting on cooling later in the year to sound reasonable).

Edit: In the attached image is the indicated recently high Arctic Amplification a short-term anomaly (as Tamino postulates) or a systemic indication of high climate sensitivity?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 10:16:23 AM by AbruptSLR »
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: July 11, 2016, 05:51:23 PM »
SkS discusses the record breaking nature of the current GMST departure trend, in the linked article:
https://www.skepticalscience.com/broke-hottest-year-record-9-straight-times.html

Extract: "… the Earth warming dangerously rapidly, at a rate 20–50 times faster than the fastest rate of natural global warming, …"
― Leon C. Megginson

BornFromTheVoid

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: July 14, 2016, 08:39:16 PM »
Joint warmest June on record, +0.41C above the 81-10 average, according to the JMA.

Top 5
1st. 2016, 2015 (+0.41°C)
3rd. 2014 (+0.33°C)
4th. 2010, 1998 (+0.26°C)

http://ds.data.jma.go.jp/tcc/tcc/products/gwp/temp/jun_wld.html

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: July 15, 2016, 01:07:41 AM »
Per the attached image it looks likely that we are headed for a record setting July:
― Leon C. Megginson