Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Caves point to thawing of Siberia  (Read 4433 times)

mati

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 0
Caves point to thawing of Siberia
« on: February 23, 2013, 04:17:44 PM »
Just a 1.5 C increase in temperature will  have significant thawing effects in Siberia

http://www.ox.ac.uk/media/news_releases_for_journalists/130221.html

:(
and so it goes

Gray-Wolf

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 131
  • Likes Given: 458
Re: Caves point to thawing of Siberia
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 10:46:10 AM »
We need remember we have already had 0.8c of that rise since the start of the industrial revolution and, over the past 15yrs, have seen a significant change to the northern hemisphere albedo over summer here. I worry that the remaining 0.7c will very quickly be attained as the planet responds to the albedo flip and the extra energy, once employed on ice/snow melt ( that is also free to do other tasks in the climate now) will be plenty enough to drive a small scale 'abrupt climate shift' over the coming decade?

I think folk also need to remember that our carbon cycle has a large portion that is currently hibernating under the two great ice sheets and so any further hike in temp from the loss of the permafrost also attacks these bodies re-animating the carbon there?

I get the feeling that we must entertain the notion that ,over time, we will have brought about the total deglaciation of the planet?
KOYAANISQATSI

ko.yaa.nis.katsi (from the Hopi language), n. 1. crazy life. 2. life in turmoil. 3. life disintegrating. 4. life out of balance. 5. a state of life that calls for another way of living.

VIRESCIT VULNERE VIRTUS

StuartC

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 04:43:28 AM »
Gray-Wolf, they were pretty clear in the press-release that they are talking about a 1.5C temperature increase over and above today's 0.8C.  I think the paper is worth taking seriously, and I posted about this in the Cryosphere > Permafrost section:

https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php/topic,36.msg538.html#msg538
The earth was made to be a common Livelihood to all, without respect of persons.

PhillipS

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 05:35:48 PM »
From the press release -

"global warming of 1.5°C compared to the pre-industrial period is enough to cause substantial thawing of permafrost far north from its present-day southern limit."

It seems pretty clear to me that they are not talking about an additional increase of 1.5 C over today's temperatures, but rather an increase of 0.7 C over the 0.8 C increase already observed over the instrumental period from pre-industrial times.
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.  Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. - Mark Twain

CraigsIsland

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 06:44:47 PM »
From the press release -

"global warming of 1.5°C compared to the pre-industrial period is enough to cause substantial thawing of permafrost far north from its present-day southern limit."

It seems pretty clear to me that they are not talking about an additional increase of 1.5 C over today's temperatures, but rather an increase of 0.7 C over the 0.8 C increase already observed over the instrumental period from pre-industrial times.

Yeah pretty scary scenario. It won't take much to get that increase.