Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Annoying Little Local Impacts of AGW/CC  (Read 4005 times)

OldLeatherneck

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 0
Annoying Little Local Impacts of AGW/CC
« on: August 08, 2013, 08:46:13 PM »
There are times we notice small changes locally due the changing climate.  Some of these changes aren't worthy of cluttering up the various threads which are dealing with the many far more catastrophic changes that are about to be happening.  I thought I'd start this thread for us to share the small, yet annoying changes we see happening now at local or regional levels.

I was just struck yesterday about how local summer warming may be responsible for the dramatic reduction in attendance at our local outdoor theatre.  Here in Ingram, TX in the heart of the Texas Hill Country, the iconic Point Theatre, located at the site of Stonehenge II, has been a landmark for many decades.  During the summer, all productions are held in the outdoor theatre which has a seating capacity of 750.  For the play that opens tomorrow night, only 29 tickets have been sold, Saturday and Sunday sales are at 9 and ZERO, respectively.  When the plays start the temperature will be in the mid to high 90s(F), there will be moderate humidity and there will be no breeze, hence many mosquitos.  In the not to distant past a normal summer night at the theatre would have had temperatures in the mid 80s(F), light to moderate humidity and a gentle breeze.

I have this more detailed information because my wife has been working part time as the business manager at the gallery and art studio side of this complex.  Traditionally, the revenues from the summer theatre productions provided the funding that supported all of the various creative art and educational activities.

My wife and I chose to retire here in 2007 because of the topography and climate.  As the rivers dry up the topography will change and the changing climate has already brought heat waves water  shortages.  We may be moving again.
"Share Your Knowledge.  It's a Way to Achieve Immortality."  ......the Dalai Lama

Vergent

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: Annoying Little Local Impacts of AGW/CC
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 10:06:55 PM »
Our family sold our cottage on a lake in Ohio because for two summers there had been too little rain to fill it.

V

OldLeatherneck

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 10:13:13 PM »
Our family sold our cottage on a lake in Ohio because for two summers there had been too little rain to fill it.

V

Sometimes it's the little pleasures in life, a weekend at the cottage, a drive in the countryside or going to a play that give individual lives some meaning.  I fear the loss of life's simple pleasures will result in a great deal of mental illness which will only hasten societal decline and make the implementation of solutions more difficult.
"Share Your Knowledge.  It's a Way to Achieve Immortality."  ......the Dalai Lama

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 602
  • Likes Given: 409
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 10:55:21 PM »
I just heard that people in the parts of China that are being hit with this heat wave aren't going out to the local wading pool--It's too damn hot to leave the coal powered air-conditioning!

Locally here, I am accustomed to see quite a swarm of bees and butterflies hovering around my wild flowers this time of year. Now I am happy to see a sole bee. Butterflies are a once-a-day-at-best sighting.
"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

ccgwebmaster

• Nilas ice
  • Civilisation collapse - what are you doing?
    • View Profile
    • CCG Website
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 08:16:36 AM »
Sometimes it's the little pleasures in life, a weekend at the cottage, a drive in the countryside or going to a play that give individual lives some meaning.  I fear the loss of life's simple pleasures will result in a great deal of mental illness which will only hasten societal decline and make the implementation of solutions more difficult.

I think economic collapse and increasing levels of conflict will have a more marked effect on mental illness? (both in ultimate relation to climate change and population/consumption).

Anne

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2013, 01:27:01 PM »
Not local to me but to Japan, and annoying and little and at least arguably due to climate change:
Climate Change Is Altering the Taste and Texture of Fuji Apples