Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: What's new in the Arctic ?  (Read 294894 times)

Darvince

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 31
  • Likes Given: 7
Re: What's new in the Arctic ?
« Reply #200 on: May 20, 2017, 06:46:47 AM »
Now the seed vault must be moved to Antarctica?

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5289
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #201 on: May 20, 2017, 03:39:43 PM »
Did the guys who decided to put the seed vault where it is on Spitzbergen get their climate change forecasts from Breitbart News, and / or Scott Pruitt and / or Lamar Smith ?
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

jdallen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 650
  • Likes Given: 244
« Reply #202 on: May 20, 2017, 08:55:56 PM »
Did the guys who decided to put the seed vault where it is on Spitzbergen get their climate change forecasts from Breitbart News, and / or Scott Pruitt and / or Lamar Smith ?
They were using the best information they had at the time using the resources available. There is no need to insult them.
This space for Rent.

no1phul

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #203 on: May 20, 2017, 09:45:20 PM »
To Blizzard92:

Thank you for posting the link to your lab's work on extreme moisture transport events to the high arctic.  As a working meteorologist for the past 35 years with a long interest in climate change, I appreciate your efforts to disseminate research of this nature. 

1rover1

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 22
  • Likes Given: 31
« Reply #204 on: June 13, 2017, 04:52:04 PM »

A Canadian Ice breaker was diverted from a Science Mission in the arctic to rescue missions off Newfoundland due to dangerous ice conditions.

About 40 scientists from five Canadian universities were scheduled to use the icebreaker CCGS Amundsen for the first leg of a 133-day expedition across the Arctic. It's part of a $17-million, four-year project led by the University of Manitoba that looks at both the effects of climate change as well as public health in remote communities.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/manitoba/climate-change-study-1.4157216

mamooth

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: June 14, 2017, 07:07:53 PM »
That article doesn't seem right to me. They say they detected multi-year ice in the Strait of Belle Isle. I don't see how such ice could get there, as Baffin Bay and the Labrador coast melt out completely each year. Old ice would have to come through Nares and then push all the way through the Baffin Bay and Labrador sea ice, in the winter when the ice isn't very mobile.

1rover1

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 22
  • Likes Given: 31
« Reply #206 on: June 14, 2017, 09:32:53 PM »
Good question Mamooth. I just checked the Canadian Ice service report and they report the following in the Strait :  "Special ice warning in effect.  1 tenth of first-year ice including a trace of old ice. Unusual presence of sea ice."

https://weather.gc.ca/marine/forecast_e.html?mapID=14&siteID=16100#warnings

BFraser

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: June 15, 2017, 04:49:51 PM »

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1153
  • Likes Given: 430
« Reply #208 on: December 12, 2017, 07:26:04 PM »
NOAA:  Arctic Report Card 2017
Arctic shows no sign of returning to reliably frozen region of recent past decades

Despite relatively cool summer temperatures, observations in 2017 continue to indicate that the Arctic environmental system has reached a 'new normal', characterized by long-term losses in the extent and thickness of the sea ice cover, the extent and duration of the winter snow cover and the mass of ice in the Greenland Ice Sheet and Arctic glaciers, and warming sea surface and permafrost temperatures.

Highlights

- The average surface air temperature for the year ending September 2017 is the 2nd warmest since 1900; however, cooler spring and summer temperatures contributed to a rebound in snow cover in the Eurasian Arctic, slower summer sea ice loss, and below-average melt extent for the Greenland ice sheet.
- The sea ice cover continues to be relatively young and thin with older, thicker ice comprising only 21% of the ice cover in 2017 compared to 45% in 1985.
- In August 2017, sea surface temperatures in the Barents and Chukchi seas were up to 4° C warmer than average, contributing to a delay in the autumn freeze-up in these regions.
- Pronounced increases in ocean primary productivity, at the base of the marine food web, were observed in the Barents and Eurasian Arctic seas from 2003 to 2017.
- Arctic tundra is experiencing increased greenness and record permafrost warming.
- Pervasive changes in the environment are influencing resource management protocols, including those established for fisheries and wildfires.
- The unprecedented rate and global reach of Arctic change disproportionally affect the people of northern communities, further pressing the need to prepare for and adapt to the new Arctic.

More here:  http://www.arctic.noaa.gov/Report-Card/Report-Card-2017
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 602
  • Likes Given: 409
« Reply #209 on: December 14, 2017, 04:53:38 AM »

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/arctic-temperatures-rising-fast-reported-false_us_5a316487e4b07ff75affaa1f?ncid=inblnkushpmg00000009

“Arctic Temperatures Are Rising So Fast Computers Don’t Believe They’re Real

An algorithm concluded a weather station in northern Alaska must have broken because it was reporting such high temperatures.”
"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

philiponfire

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 6

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: December 18, 2017, 09:37:13 PM »
“Polar scientists are starting to refer to the New Arctic (their caps), because they’re not quite sure what’s coming next.”

Let it go: The Arctic will never be frozen again
Last week, at a New Orleans conference center that once doubled as a storm shelter for thousands during Hurricane Katrina, a group of polar scientists made a startling declaration: The Arctic as we once knew it is no more.

The region is now definitively trending toward an ice-free state, the scientists said, with wide-ranging ramifications for ecosystems, national security, and the stability of the global climate system. It was a fitting venue for an eye-opening reminder that, on its current path, civilization is engaged in an existential gamble with the planet’s life-support system.

In an accompanying annual report on the Arctic’s health — titled “Arctic shows no sign of returning to reliably frozen region of recent past decades” — the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, which oversees all official U.S. research in the region, coined a term: “New Arctic.”
http://grist.org/article/let-it-go-the-arctic-will-never-be-frozen-again/

Dharma Rupa

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 52
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #212 on: December 18, 2017, 11:33:36 PM »
“Polar scientists are starting to refer to the New Arctic (their caps), because they’re not quite sure what’s coming next.”

Let it go: The Arctic will never be frozen again
Last week, at a New Orleans conference center that once doubled as a storm shelter for thousands during Hurricane Katrina, a group of polar scientists made a startling declaration: The Arctic as we once knew it is no more.

The region is now definitively trending toward an ice-free state, the scientists said, with wide-ranging ramifications for ecosystems, national security, and the stability of the global climate system. It was a fitting venue for an eye-opening reminder that, on its current path, civilization is engaged in an existential gamble with the planet’s life-support system.

In an accompanying annual report on the Arctic’s health — titled “Arctic shows no sign of returning to reliably frozen region of recent past decades” — the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, which oversees all official U.S. research in the region, coined a term: “New Arctic.”
http://grist.org/article/let-it-go-the-arctic-will-never-be-frozen-again/
While I tend to agree with their assessment, I don't think anyone really knows what is going to happen, and I distrust any pronouncements that "definitively" project anything.

For all we really know the CO2 might cause an extreme negative feedback and a new ice age.  I don't think so, but I don't KNOW otherwise.

I'm still watching, day by day.

Shared Humanity

« Reply #213 on: December 19, 2017, 02:15:14 AM »
meh...

Pmt111500

« Reply #214 on: December 19, 2017, 04:39:21 AM »
Ah, the eternal mystical appearance of the sun every morning when it's not cloudy.

Juan C. García

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1279
  • Likes Given: 1127
« Reply #215 on: December 19, 2017, 10:38:51 PM »
Ah, the eternal mystical appearance of the sun every morning when it's not cloudy.

On the topic: What's new in the Arctic ?
 :o  :o  ::)  ;D  ;D

That will be really new in the Arctic, specially on December 19!!!  ;D
Has to be very mystical!!!
Which is the best answer to Sep-2012 ASI lost (compared to 1979-2000)?
50% [NSIDC Extent] or
73% [PIOMAS Volume]

Volume is harder to measure than extent, but 3-dimensional space is real, 2D's hide ~50% thickness gone.
-> IPCC/NSIDC trends [based on extent] underestimate the real speed of ASI lost.

Shared Humanity

« Reply #216 on: December 20, 2017, 02:25:45 AM »

For all we really know the sun might simply fail to appear on a cloudless day, plunging us into perpetual night.  I don't think so, but I don't KNOW otherwise.

I'm still watching day by day.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 04:42:03 AM by Shared Humanity »

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 20, 2018, 03:24:06 PM »
The climate, Russia, energy….

“How a Melting Arctic Changes Everything”

Part 1, The Bare Arctic:
https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2017-arctic/

Part 2, The Political Arctic:
https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2017-arctic/the-political-arctic/

Part 3, The Economic Arctic:
https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2017-arctic/the-economic-arctic/

Dharma Rupa

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 52
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #218 on: January 29, 2018, 09:55:26 PM »
I wasn't too sure where to throw this, but I just heard a Uniquely Greenlander description of climate change and I wanted to share it: "If you are out in -30 degree weather and you pee in your pants you will be warm for a few minutes."

martalunde68

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #219 on: February 15, 2018, 12:05:24 PM »
At a December meeting of climate scientists in New Orleans, a team from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration declared that “the Arctic as we’ve known it is now a thing of the past”. Ocean surface warming and decline in sea ice show no sign of returning to the reliably frozen region of past decades.
As the ice pulls back, corporations and governments are moving in.
In June 2018, Russia will host the International Symposium on Ice to be attended by as many as 250 experts from Southeast Asian countries, Europe, the Americas, New Zealand, and Australia. The event will be held at the Far Eastern Federal University.
Moscow puts high hopes on this meeting as it can help to intensify international cooperation in the Arctic despite the current political situation. Moreover, it’s a good opportunity to discuss the burning problems linked with the ice and hydraulic issues in the high seas and rivers on the top expert level.

Mr.Far

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #220 on: February 16, 2018, 11:46:30 AM »
In June 2018, Russia will host the International Symposium on Ice to be attended by as many as 250 experts from Southeast Asian countries, Europe, the Americas, New Zealand, and Australia. The event will be held at the Far Eastern Federal University.

Vladivostok and the Arctic problems? Ha! As I see on the map Vladivostok is about as far south as you can get in Siberia, and it’s really not near the Arctic at all. In fact, sitting on the shoes of the Pacific Ocean, it enjoys a monsoon-influenced humid continental climate. Hasn’t Russia got a more Arctic-oriented city to be chosen as a host-city for the event?!

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: February 16, 2018, 01:07:40 PM »

Vladivostok and the Arctic problems? Ha! As I see on the map Vladivostok is about as far south as you can get in Siberia, and it’s really not near the Arctic at all. In fact, sitting on the shoes of the Pacific Ocean, it enjoys a monsoon-influenced humid continental climate. Hasn’t Russia got a more Arctic-oriented city to be chosen as a host-city for the event?!
A cynic such as I might think that such an event may be merely an environmental fig-leaf to cover Russia's real agenda - which is to secure political, military, economic and industrial domination of the Arctic. And with a lot of political and financial help from China, implementation of the strategy  is going very well.

Perhaps a more Arctic-orientated city would demonstrate too obviously the physical manifestations of that implementation? (Ice-breakers, LNG tankers and terminals, military hardware, mining equipment et al.)

martalunde68

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #222 on: February 17, 2018, 07:26:10 PM »

You are partly right. Of course they could have chosen Yakutsk, the so-called “coldest city on earth” or Magadan on the Sea of Okhotsk for example.

Vladivostok forms the eastern end of the Northern Sea Route and the terminus of the Trans-Siberian Railway, so it is well connected to other parts of the Arctic and Siberia both by sea and by land.

Vladivostok is also one of Russia’s scientific centers for Arctic studies. The Far Eastern Federal University's School of Engineering boasts the Arctic international center providing research support for new projects on the continental shelf of the northern seas. Each year, the University organizes a winter school for Russian and foreign students who work with natural ice, study the specifics of building ice-resistant vessels and high-seas engineering structures.

By the way, from January 29 to February 9 fifty three students and young scientists from China, the Republic of Korea, Japan and Canada took part in Ice Mechanic Winter School,the unique ice research in Russia.

Alex Bellin

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: February 18, 2018, 07:07:04 PM »
As for me, any conference is a good opportunity for people with common interests to meet and discuss hot issues. Russia is a major Arctic country and has great historical experience of High North exploration as well as a state-of-the-art knowledge to share. So, it is natural for Russia to hold such conference.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: February 22, 2018, 06:02:19 PM »
“Sea ice in the Bering Sea is at stunning record low levels. Without ice as a buffer, Alaska coastal villages are no longer protected from big storms and their giant waves. Buildings are crumbling. See video at the link below, & read more here: wapo.st/2ENhgWr “
https://twitter.com/capitalweather/status/966700103280062465

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #225 on: February 22, 2018, 08:23:38 PM »
“Sea ice in the Bering Sea is at stunning record low levels. Without ice as a buffer, Alaska coastal villages are no longer protected from big storms and their giant waves. Buildings are crumbling. See video at the link below, & read more here: wapo.st/2ENhgWr “
https://twitter.com/capitalweather/status/966700103280062465
Thankyou Sigmetnow,

What a great link - Washington Post article is all about what Journalism needs to be. Data from several sources stacked up and reinforcing each source. Stick it up your pipe, Fox News, Breitbart.
It is salutary to see from the video what we discuss so much in this forum means in reality.

I followed the twitter link to :-
Brian Brettschneider
@Climatologist49
PhD Climatologist. Alaskan. Global warming is real. Alaskana. Mooseologist. Very stable genius.

from whom I stole the nice graph attached

and from there to:
Rick Thoman‏
@AlaskaWx
Follow Follow @AlaskaWx

One of these years is not like the others: Bering Sea ice extent as of Feb 21 from @NSIDC is now <30% of the 1981-2010 median value. Or, if you prefer, 3.6 standard deviations below the mean.

The next few days will tell us more

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: February 23, 2018, 09:55:21 PM »
“At this very moment, the temperature in the high Arctic is at a wintertime record high.
Never in our recordkeeping has it been this warm between early November and late March -- in the midst of 24-hour Arctic night. ”
https://twitter.com/EricHolthaus/status/967114799627763712

“Wow... truly a remarkable event ongoing right now in the #Arctic.
Current temperatures well above previous years in February (>80°N latitude)! Average temperature is the bright blue line   http://sites.uci.edu/zlabe/arctic-temperatures/  “

https://twitter.com/ZLabe/status/967112763033047040
Image below.

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1012
  • Likes Given: 1034
« Reply #227 on: February 23, 2018, 10:21:46 PM »
Yes Sigmetnow .. even more extraordinary given that these are on average the coldest days of the Arctic winter . Sunday may well be warmer !  Most concerning to me is that this time last year the Arctic was freezing hard . If there is not a spell of similar respite  this year the ice is in BIG trouble . The next 10 days are looking warmer with every model run ..  .. meanwhile here in Northern Ireland I may need to prepare for a wandering Polar Vortex ..  bc
Conflict is the root of all evil , for being blind it does not see whom it attacks . Yet it always attacks the Son Of God , and the Son of God is you .

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: February 23, 2018, 10:42:18 PM »
In the stuff from zlabe and holthaus in the above recent posts no acknowledgement to DMI (80+temps) or NSIDC (Bering Sea). Tut tut - after all it is they who do the grunt work that we freely use.

End of grumpy post.

Blizzard92

• New ice
    • View Profile
    • Personal Research Website
  • Liked: 43
« Reply #229 on: February 23, 2018, 11:14:01 PM »
In the stuff from zlabe and holthaus in the above recent posts no acknowledgement to DMI (80+temps) or NSIDC (Bering Sea). Tut tut - after all it is they who do the grunt work that we freely use.

End of grumpy post.

No. I provide direct references to the DMI on the actual graph itself and in my link with the caption. I tag the NSIDC in every post in reference to the Bering Sea ice graphs. The data source is always acknowledged. I upload all of my code on my GitHub for complete open access of the science... https://github.com/zmlabe/IceVarFigs
Currently: Postdoctoral Research Associate - Princeton University & NOAA GFDL - Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences
UC Irvine - Earth System Science Ph.D., M.Sc.
Cornell University - Atmospheric Sciences B.Sc.

Twitter: @ZLabe
Mastodon: https://fediscience.org/web/@ZLabe

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: February 23, 2018, 11:23:48 PM »

End of grumpy post.

No. I provide direct references to the DMI on the actual graph itself and in my link with the caption. I tag the NSIDC in every post in reference to the Bering Sea ice graphs. The data source is always acknowledged. I upload all of my code on my GitHub for complete open access of the science... https://github.com/zmlabe/IceVarFigs
The Grumpy Old Man offers a grovelling apology. I am just jealous - your visuals are just too damn good.
Ps: have they given you your Ph. D. Yet ? If not, I'll send the boys around to make them an offer they can't refuse.

Blizzard92

• New ice
    • View Profile
    • Personal Research Website
  • Liked: 43
« Reply #231 on: February 23, 2018, 11:27:53 PM »
No problem - thank you! My goals in science communication are to provide everyone with the ability to access/find and understand the information presented... so it is very important to me that all sources are acknowledged :)
Currently: Postdoctoral Research Associate - Princeton University & NOAA GFDL - Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences
UC Irvine - Earth System Science Ph.D., M.Sc.
Cornell University - Atmospheric Sciences B.Sc.

Twitter: @ZLabe
Mastodon: https://fediscience.org/web/@ZLabe

jdallen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 650
  • Likes Given: 244
« Reply #232 on: February 24, 2018, 01:03:31 AM »
I just keep on coming back to those 80N DMI numbers, looking at them in disbelief.  It is temps we shouldn't be seeing for another 90 days, and is fully 5C warmer than the peaks in 2017, 2016 and 2015.

It's later as well, which after an already too-warm fall and start of winter, is going to be just awful for the ice.  It could be like last year if the temperatures hadn't cooled back down (at right about this time, in fact...)

To top it, we have rising insolation as well, so even if cold returns, it will be fighting that as well.
This space for Rent.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
« Reply #233 on: February 24, 2018, 11:02:14 AM »
No problem - thank you! My goals in science communication are to provide everyone with the ability to access/find and understand the information presented... so it is very important to me that all sources are acknowledged :)

I used your graph in the latest ASIB blog post, stating: 

There's so much heat coming into the Arctic from both sides that the temperature north of 80° is spiking to new record heights, as shown on Zack Labe's rendition of the DMI 80N temperature graph, and it will most probably climb some more:

A rather elegant reference to all sources, if I say so myself (I can be a bit sloppy at times).
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2268
  • Likes Given: 286
« Reply #234 on: March 01, 2018, 06:39:24 PM »
The linked Scribbler article examines the relationships between Sudden Stratospheric Warming events. Polar Amplification and the recent high frequency of Polar Vortex events:

Title: "Sudden Stratospheric Warming and Polar Amplification: How Climate Change Interacts With the Polar Vortex"

https://robertscribbler.com/2018/02/28/sudden-stratospheric-warming-and-polar-amplification-how-climate-change-interacts-with-the-polar-vortex/

Extract: "Over the past few years, the term Polar Vortex has dominated the broadcast weather media — gaining recent notoriety due to increasingly extreme weather events associated with a number of disruptions to Arctic atmospheric circulation patterns. In short, this swirl of cold air over the furthest north regions is being intensely disrupted by warm air invasions — both at the surface and in the upper levels of the atmosphere. A subject that we’ll explore further as part of this analysis."
“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.”
― Leon C. Megginson

Wherestheice

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 89
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #235 on: March 02, 2018, 09:54:07 AM »
"When the ice goes..... F***

jplotinus

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 12
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #236 on: March 04, 2018, 12:31:17 AM »
There’s a new island in the Arctic, discovered by teenage Russian students:

https://www.rt.com/news/420384-russian-teenagers-discover-arctic-island/

Phil.

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 76
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #237 on: March 04, 2018, 05:51:16 PM »
“At this very moment, the temperature in the high Arctic is at a wintertime record high.
Never in our recordkeeping has it been this warm between early November and late March -- in the midst of 24-hour Arctic night. ”
https://twitter.com/EricHolthaus/status/967114799627763712

“Wow... truly a remarkable event ongoing right now in the #Arctic.
Current temperatures well above previous years in February (>80°N latitude)! Average temperature is the bright blue line   http://sites.uci.edu/zlabe/arctic-temperatures/  “

https://twitter.com/ZLabe/status/967112763033047040
Image below.

This graph made it onto a piece on CNN this morning!

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
« Reply #238 on: March 04, 2018, 06:16:19 PM »
Good for CNN!  ;D
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: March 04, 2018, 06:51:02 PM »
What's new in the Arctic to me is the great change in all the ways we can see it. A big big thankyou to the scientists who made it happen and the contributors to ASIF who have made it possible for people like me to see this amazing story unfold.

FredBear

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 67
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #240 on: March 06, 2018, 02:56:12 PM »
There are no current conditions on the Kimmirut WebCams page since 19 Jan except the Airport and forecasts:-

Observed at: Kimmirut Airport
Date: 8:00 AM EST Tuesday 6 March 2018
Sunny
Sunny    Temperature: -17.1°C
Sunrise: 6:28 EST
Sunset: 17:13 EST
Normals:
Max -20°C. Min -30°C.

Followed by:-

Extended Forecast - Environment Canada
Tuesday                 Max: -10°C
   Wednesday    Max: -9°C
   Thursday       Max: -10°C
   Friday           Max: -8°C
   Saturday       Max: -9°C
   Sunday         Max: -12°C
   Monday         Max: -13°C
Tuesday Night                  Min: -17°C
   Wednesday night      Min: -15°C
   Thursday night         Min: -11°C
   Friday night             Min: -12°C
   Saturday night         Min: -13°C
   Sunday night           Min: -14°C

Every time I look at it there seems to be much less cold than there should be?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 03:01:19 PM by FredBear »

Juan C. García

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1279
  • Likes Given: 1127
« Reply #241 on: March 16, 2018, 01:46:35 AM »
The fast-melting Arctic is already messing with the ocean’s circulation, scientists say

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2018/03/14/the-melting-arctic-is-already-messing-with-a-crucial-part-of-the-oceans-circulation-scientists-say/?wpisrc=nl_green&wpmm=1

In the new research, Marilena Oltmanns and two colleagues at the GEOMAR Helmholtz Center for Ocean Research in Kiel, Germany, found that following particularly warm summers in the remote Irminger Sea, convection tended to be more impaired in winter. In some cases, a layer of meltwater stayed atop the ocean into the next year, rather than vanishing into its depths as part of the overturning circulation, which has sometimes been likened to an ocean “conveyor belt.”
Which is the best answer to Sep-2012 ASI lost (compared to 1979-2000)?
50% [NSIDC Extent] or
73% [PIOMAS Volume]

Volume is harder to measure than extent, but 3-dimensional space is real, 2D's hide ~50% thickness gone.
-> IPCC/NSIDC trends [based on extent] underestimate the real speed of ASI lost.

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 602
  • Likes Given: 409
« Reply #242 on: March 16, 2018, 03:50:59 AM »
https://robertscribbler.com/2018/03/15/polar-warming-spawns-more-severe-winter-storms/#comment-139055

Polar Warming Spawns More Severe Winter Storms

So there’s a lot of groundbreaking work going on in the climate sciences right now. And a major focus is evidence that winter polar warming events are increasingly connected to blizzards and storms in places like Europe and North America. Storms that are both historically powerful and that occur with greater frequency...
"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

Stephan

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 758
  • Likes Given: 459
« Reply #243 on: March 20, 2018, 10:36:32 PM »
There’s a new island in the Arctic, discovered by teenage Russian students:

Any idea, where exactly this new little island has been discovered?
It is too late just to be concerned about Climate Change

DavidR

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 36
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #244 on: March 21, 2018, 08:37:14 AM »
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 10:45:30 AM by DavidR »
Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore

binntho

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 878
  • Likes Given: 235
« Reply #245 on: May 11, 2018, 05:55:11 AM »
Quite interesting article on increasing flows of Atlantic and Pacific waters into the Arctic and the resulting changes in wildlife.

A new paper by University of Washington oceanographer Rebecca Woodgate, for example, finds that the volume of Pacific Ocean water flowing north into the Arctic Ocean through the Bering Strait surged up to 70 percent over the past decade and now equals 50 times the annual flow of the Mississippi River. And over on the Atlantic flank of the Arctic, another recent report concludes that the Arctic Ocean’s cold layering system that blocks Atlantic inflows is breaking down, allowing a deluge of warmer, denser water to flood into the Arctic Basin.

“The halocline has grown much weaker in recent years,” Polyakov says, “allowing the Atlantic water heat to penetrate upward and reach the bottom of sea ice.” The phenomenon, which began near Svalbard in the late 1990s, is now accelerating and spreading east into Arctic waters above Siberia.

https://e360.yale.edu/features/alien-waters-neighboring-seas-are-flowing-into-a-warming-arctic-ocean

because a thing is eloquently expressed it should not be taken to be as necessarily true
St. Augustine, Confessions V, 6

Shared Humanity

« Reply #246 on: May 11, 2018, 04:06:00 PM »
Great link.

mitch

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 24
« Reply #247 on: May 11, 2018, 05:33:29 PM »
Thanks for the link--very well written. Fundamentally what we observe is that the weakening of the pycnocline increases the heat buffer in the Arctic, lengthening the ice-free season, and reducing ice thickness. I wonder if the winter heat loss keeps the system relatively linear. 

Forest Dweller

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 32
« Reply #248 on: June 03, 2018, 08:39:26 AM »
The Russians have discovered a new way of breaking ice by submarines creating resonance.
Although they only tested in swimming pools the concept is known to work with hover crafts.
Submarines traveling at 10 kmph will create the required waves that clear the ice and are more practical for going long distances and avoiding damage.
The aim is to open the north east passage connecting Europe and Asia.

https://www.volkskrant.nl/wetenschap/het-ijs-breken-kan-straks-misschien-ook-met-onderzeeers~bfd446a2/
(in Dutch)

johnm33

« Reply #249 on: June 19, 2018, 10:43:02 PM »
I was trying to figure out what caused the wave pattern emerging in Beaufort around the 12th.

best i could come up with so far is Atlantic water pouring off the ESAS into the deep forcing wave action in the basal waters of the Canadian basin. If thats the case what's next? Or is there a better explanation?