Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Those who inspire us  (Read 3749 times)

JimD

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 0
Those who inspire us
« on: October 21, 2013, 05:41:34 PM »
One of mine is Lester Brown.

I came across this mans work well over 30 years ago.  He is one of the great environmentalists of all time.  He has had major influences on how I think about the big picture and how slow long-term trends have a huge impact over time and are so difficult to manage for a better outcome.  He was a founder of the World Watch Institute (the State of the World books which have been published each year for decades now) as well as the Earth Policy Institute.  He is the main author of the series of Plan B proposals.  He is relentless and has never lost focus or commitment.  A remarkable man. 

There is perhaps no living environmental analyst and writer as prolific and widely known as Lester Brown. The founder of the Washington-based Earth Policy Institute, Brown has won numerous accolades, including a MacArthur Fellowship and a United Nations environmental prize. He will publish his 52nd book, an autobiography, on Monday.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/21/lester-brown-autobiography_n_4124707.html?ref=topbar
We do not err because truth is difficult to see. It is visible at a glance. We err because this is more comfortable. Alexander Solzhenitsyn

How is it conceivable that all our technological progress - our very civilization - is like the axe in the hand of the pathological criminal? Albert Einstein

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
Re: Those who inspire us
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 08:34:09 PM »
Herman Daly! And when I grow up I want to be like like Ugo Bardi.  :D
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

Shared Humanity

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 06:18:42 PM »
A triumph of the human spirit!

JimD

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 07:12:18 PM »
SH

That is amazing.  Bet he has strong legs!
We do not err because truth is difficult to see. It is visible at a glance. We err because this is more comfortable. Alexander Solzhenitsyn

How is it conceivable that all our technological progress - our very civilization - is like the axe in the hand of the pathological criminal? Albert Einstein

Shared Humanity

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 06:57:01 PM »
SH

That is amazing.  Bet he has strong legs!

The part that I find most intriguing is the temporary nature of his art, sometimes lasting less than a day. His acceptance of this is very Buddhist in nature and highlights the very temporary nature of all things fashioned by human civilizations when compared to the permanence of mother earth.

Anthropologists have made careers studying the remnants of ancient human civilizations. We, on the other hand, look at what we have built and imagine  a permanence which is merely an illusion.

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 602
  • Likes Given: 409
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2013, 06:56:05 AM »
http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2013/12/23/3073901/climate-champs-2013/

The Climate Champions Of 2013

Naderev “Yeb” Saño
Michael Mann...
Barbara Kingsolver
Bill McKibben...

"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."