Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: UN Climate Chnage Conference in Warsaw  (Read 3854 times)

JimD

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 0
UN Climate Chnage Conference in Warsaw
« on: November 20, 2013, 04:25:34 PM »
Leaked Memo Reveals U.S. Plan to Oppose Helping Poor Nations Adapt to Climate Change

Newly leaked documents have revealed how U.S. negotiators at the U.N. climate summit in Warsaw are opposing efforts to help developing countries adapt to climate change

The proposal by developing countries that their wealthier counterparts be held financially responsible for the damage incurred by extreme climate events such as typhoon Haiyan and droughts in Africa has become the most explosive issue at the UN's climate change conference in Warsaw.

This is an expected conflict and one can be pretty certain that no developed country would ever formally sign up to such a commitment.  At the least it would be political suicide to any national party or leader who agreed to it.  I think that aid will flow to the less developed world for some time, but never to the extent that it will impact the economies of the richer countries.  Politics will never allow such charity to go to far.  I can only imagine how strong this conflict will be in another 10-20 years.  It will eventually lead to violence.

http://www.nationofchange.org/leaked-memo-reveals-us-plan-oppose-helping-poor-nations-adapt-climate-change-1384878965

http://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2013/nov/19/climate-talks-wealthy-countries-bill-weather-disasters-un-warsaw
We do not err because truth is difficult to see. It is visible at a glance. We err because this is more comfortable. Alexander Solzhenitsyn

How is it conceivable that all our technological progress - our very civilization - is like the axe in the hand of the pathological criminal? Albert Einstein

ggelsrinc

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1
Re: UN Climate Chnage Conference in Warsaw
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 05:24:44 PM »
AMY GOODMAN: Talk about how you got these documents.

NITIN SETHI: Well, I can’t reveal my sources, but obviously it was from one of the diplomats somewhere across the world who wanted to share it out.

Source: http://www.alternet.org/environment/leaked-memo-reveals-us-plan-oppose-helping-poor-nations-adapt-climate-change

I still haven't been able to find the document/memo.

dlen

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
Re: UN Climate Change Conference in Warsaw
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 11:43:02 PM »
Compensation is fine, but still the most important goal is emissions reduction / avoidance.

The row about compensation should not distract from this.

I have the feeling, that the world is jumping on any distraction whatsoever available to look away from the physical basics - and its conclusions.

ritter

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 24
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 11:53:07 PM »
I have the feeling, that the world is jumping on any distraction whatsoever available to look away from the physical basics - and its conclusions.

Yup. Nobody wants to be the one in the room to say it's time to turn off the global economy.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 11:58:33 PM »
We have all seen what happened when Germany was forced to pay compensation. And no, this is not invoking Godwin's Law.  ;D

It's a smokescreen, pure and simple.
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

dlen

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 02:45:59 AM »
Yup. Nobody wants to be the one in the room to say it's time to turn off the global economy.

as if it would not be turned off anyway periodically by greedy real estate speculators,  internet bubblists and the like ...

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 602
  • Likes Given: 409
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2013, 01:09:46 AM »
Thanks to akji at SkSc for this:

“On Thin Ice” at Warsaw climate talks

Did you know it was the “Day of the Cryosphere” at the Warsaw climate talks COP 19 in Warsaw yesterday? If not, you might be forgiven. I haven’t seen it making the headlines in the mainstream media. That is a pity, given that what climate change is doing to our ice, snow and permafrost has repercussions for the whole planet.

The cryosphere is a term for the regions of our globe which are covered in ice and snow either seasonally or all year round, from the North Pole to Antarctica. ”Climate change is happening in the cryosphere faster and more dramatically than anywhere else on earth”, says the “International Cryosphere Climate Initiative” (ICCI). It is a network of senior policy experts and researchers working with governments and organisations to bring about initiatives to preserve as much of our ice and snow areas as possible. The group was set up in 2009 immediately after the disastrous COP 15 in Copenhagen.

“On Thin Ice” at Warsaw climate talks by Irene Quaile, DW (Deutsche Welle) Ice Blog, Nov 18, 2013
"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."