Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Crazy Ideas  (Read 2862 times)

JimD

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 0
Crazy Ideas
« on: December 04, 2013, 07:27:12 PM »
I guess I could have put this in Policy and Solutions in one of the Geo-Engineering threads, but...most are more humorous than realistic.  I got a good laugh over this one.

It's not even geo-engineering, it's lunar-engineering.

Shimizu, a Japanese architectural and engineering firm, has a solution for the climate crisis: Simply build a band of solar panels 400 kilometers (249 miles) wide (pdf) running all the way around the Moon’s 11,000-kilometer (6,835 mile) equator and beam the carbon-free energy back to Earth in the form of microwaves, which are converted into electricity at ground stations.

Simply they say...we are always making things out to be difficult when solutions are just staring us in the face.

http://www.declineoftheempire.com/2013/12/its-not-completely-crazy.html#more
We do not err because truth is difficult to see. It is visible at a glance. We err because this is more comfortable. Alexander Solzhenitsyn

How is it conceivable that all our technological progress - our very civilization - is like the axe in the hand of the pathological criminal? Albert Einstein

pikaia

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 124
  • Likes Given: 39
Re: Crazy Ideas
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 07:48:59 PM »
A 200 megawatt energy beam pointed at the Earth - what could possibly go wrong?  ;D

I don't see what the advantage of the moon would be when we get almost as much sunlight here on Earth, and it is cheaper and easier to harness.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1336
  • Likes Given: 618
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 09:37:15 PM »
I don't see what the advantage of the moon would be when we get almost as much sunlight here on Earth, and it is cheaper and easier to harness.

No atmosphere?
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

JimD

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 05:42:40 PM »
I think they might have been reading the SF novel Ringworld by Larry Niven and were inspired.  It was a pretty cool book.
We do not err because truth is difficult to see. It is visible at a glance. We err because this is more comfortable. Alexander Solzhenitsyn

How is it conceivable that all our technological progress - our very civilization - is like the axe in the hand of the pathological criminal? Albert Einstein