Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Arctic report card 2013  (Read 3803 times)

crandles

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 239
  • Likes Given: 81
Arctic report card 2013
« on: December 14, 2013, 12:14:09 AM »
Arctic report card 2013 is out:

http://www.arctic.noaa.gov/reportcard/

The press conference is also available as a video in AGU fall virtual options which requires registration - free providing you use promotional code clearly visible.

Questions on sea ice link to weather at more southerly locations were answered with

There is a growing body of evidence for these links. It is an area for research. There is vigorous debate about it but there seemed suggestion that it was largely accepted that the links existed but the precise causation were subject to debate.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 12:32:56 AM by crandles »

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 602
  • Likes Given: 409
Re: Arctic report card 2013
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 01:13:42 AM »
CC has a story on it now. Freedman was one of the journalists asking questions on the video.

http://www.climatecentral.org/news/fingerprints-of-arctic-warming-seen-throughout-region-16835

Fingerprints of Arctic Warming Seen Throughout Region

I wonder whether Neven would consider this report to be Blog Post worthy?
"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

Pmt111500

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 04:33:21 AM »
Not a single word on methane, nor carbon dioxide. A few occurrences of 'carbon'. Are the other conclusions trustworthy? At the very least, I'd have expected to see a graph on atmospheric components on the 'atmosphere'-section, but apparently this is too much for the researchers taking part on this economical report on fish stocks and caribou hunting. (shut up) Also there's not a single bit on how to farm watermelons in the long arctic summer on the poor soils and nothing about how to build on a land that's not frozen. (shut up) I think the report is a bunch of political whoo-haa, designed to not cross paths with the vested interests of polar bear hunters and baby seal killers, not to talk about anything of the GMO salmon release designed to withstand corexit and occasional blowouts. (SHUT UP) I think I should calm down (YES plese) and start using as much petroleum as I humanely can to increase the general noise level hereabouts. (That would be nice, wouldn't it) I think I'll drive to see the damage done by the storm two days ago on the west coast today, this gusted on locations at the level of category one hurricane.(you do that)

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 09:17:24 AM »
CC has a story on it now. Freedman was one of the journalists asking questions on the video.

http://www.climatecentral.org/news/fingerprints-of-arctic-warming-seen-throughout-region-16835

Fingerprints of Arctic Warming Seen Throughout Region

I wonder whether Neven would consider this report to be Blog Post worthy?

He has and he does. Will post tonight.  :)
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 602
  • Likes Given: 409
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 02:42:13 PM »
Awesome!
"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

ChrisReynolds

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • Dosbat
  • Liked: 20
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 05:05:34 PM »
It was a very exciting Arctic Report Card.

The ocean section seems to me to show the importance of the Arctic Dipole for Pacific Water influc through Bering. The sea ice and Greenland section also hammered home the importance of the Arctic Dipole - when it fails to appear throughout the summer the sea ice and Greenland don't exhibit the strong melts seen in recent years. However the Atlantic Water (AW) has been just as warm as recent years, suggesting that there is little role for AW in the declines of sea ice over recent years and that the atmosphere is dominant.

I've just got a copy of the Richter Menge / Farrell paper referenced in the sea ice section for free from Wiley online library.
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/2013GL058011/abstract
That shows that the 2010 volume loss is reflected in the Beaufort sector but not in the central Arctic close to the CAA. Won't be hard to generate stats from PIOMAS gridded data as the boxes used are defined as lat/lon boxes. But my blogging holiday includes such work, so that will have to wait unless someone else wants to do it.