Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Gardening  (Read 542694 times)

El Cid

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 935
  • Likes Given: 227
Re: Gardening
« Reply #1250 on: August 01, 2021, 07:51:05 PM »
Don't worry  El Cid, none of our 'assets' go to waste, though sometimes they can be overwhelming. Today I caught our cockerel teaching the hens how to jump for grapes.

:):)

El Cid

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: August 01, 2021, 08:00:56 PM »
I took a picture of the garden/forest from the rooftop, hope you like it.

The garden part is in the fore, then behind it are mostly young fruit trees and support trees (those can't be seen very well as they were mostly cut back during winter) with some older trees, then comes a hedge/fence and behind that I have some older trees with more fruit trees, that part is more like what the whole thing should look like in 10 years: a sort-of savanna ecosystem with native trees and fruit trees/shrubs and some open spaces with meadows

Général de GuerreLasse

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 63
  • Likes Given: 32
« Reply #1252 on: August 19, 2021, 03:43:06 PM »
The garlic harvest has just begun. And yes, El CId, I have small hands.  :D  :D  :D

La cravate est un accessoire permettant d'indiquer la direction du cerveau de l'homme.
Un petit croquis en dit plus qu'un grand discours, mais beaucoup moins qu'un gros chèque.
Pierre DAC

El Cid

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: August 19, 2021, 03:57:14 PM »
Harvesting garlic now? Was it planted during spring? I only ask, becasue my garlic (I think we have similar climate) was harvested 1,5 months ago (planted last october).

Otherwise, they are HUGE :)

Général de GuerreLasse

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 63
  • Likes Given: 32
« Reply #1254 on: August 19, 2021, 04:21:21 PM »
I planted this garlic at the beginning of October, in fact I should/could have harvested it in only a month. I think some of the heads could have grown even bigger. This is the "elephant garlic" variety. It has to be planted much deeper than the usual garlic. I easily plant it 10 cm deep. It may be useful to stake it when planting as the green part is very impressive. It makes large stems with sterile flowers. These should be left on as they are sterile and do not prevent the garlic from growing. The taste is less strong than normal garlic but much tastier. I have planted normal garlic at the foot of some trees and now harvest the leaves as a condiment when I want a delicately garlicky, green taste in a dish.
And I use bear's garlic in spring.

The photo shows a single clove of elephant garlic.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 06:05:00 PM by Général de GuerreLasse »
La cravate est un accessoire permettant d'indiquer la direction du cerveau de l'homme.
Un petit croquis en dit plus qu'un grand discours, mais beaucoup moins qu'un gros chèque.
Pierre DAC

etienne

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • About energy
  • Liked: 311
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #1255 on: August 21, 2021, 12:34:38 PM »
Looks great. Does it go to what seems to be a road in the back?

I harvested my garlic end of July, but the moment was choosen because of the weather, we had one week without rain.

El Cid

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: August 23, 2021, 08:35:23 AM »
Looks great. Does it go to what seems to be a road in the back?

Yes, there is a road at the very back of the picture...Fortunately there are many more trees than people around us but we can reach civilization quickly if we want to :)

On another note I have just learnt this summer that purslane, a common enemy of many gardeners and a very strong weed, is not only edible, but has been consumed for many millenia and is actually a very nutritious food. So I started new attack against it in my veggie patch: I eat it :) It is surprisingly good.

I mix some grated hard cheese, olive oil, tomato, basil and purslane to make a sort of "purslane-pesto" out of it. Pretty tasty actually.

nanning

• Nilas ice
  • 0Kg CO₂, 37 KWh/wk,125L H₂O/wk, No offspring
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 273
  • Likes Given: 23170
« Reply #1257 on: August 24, 2021, 09:17:15 AM »
I looked up purslane in en.wikipedia: Portulaca oleracea

And checked it against nl.wikipedia. To my surprise it came up with the popular Netherlandic name "Postelein".

This is indeed a well known food plant that is part of our food traditions here.
Nice to know that it's a fast growing weed and nutritious.
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell
"It is preoccupation with what other people from your groups think of you, that prevents you from living freely and nobly" - Nanning
Why do you keep accumulating stuff?

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1022
  • Likes Given: 1063
« Reply #1258 on: August 25, 2021, 02:03:08 AM »
I'm increasingly eating 'weeds' as they are free and often more nutritious and beneficial than what we replace them with . sadly purslane does not appear in these parts .
There is no death , the Son of God is We .

El Cid

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: August 25, 2021, 03:54:52 PM »
... sadly purslane does not appear in these parts .

Don't be sad! They definitely grow faster than you can eat them...they are terribly "weedy" :)

On another note: any of you fig lovers in colder climates, I had great success last and this year with the fig 'Desert King'. In only its third year it had about 60 very tasty, sweet figs. Grows fast, zero problems. Ripe by the beginning of August. This is my earliest fig (of 3, three more are under trial) and a really great one!

My Brown Turkey has also produces a lot but 'Desert King' seems to grow faster and ripens 3 weeks earlier. (average annual temperature is 10-11 C here, with winter lows of minus 8-15C)

longwalks1

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 65
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #1260 on: August 27, 2021, 09:39:34 AM »
"weeds"  Been adding amaranth leafs (pigweed) to steamed  swiss chard and steamed  arugula.   Will do it again next year. 

Bruce Steele

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 773
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #1261 on: August 28, 2021, 05:17:00 PM »
Longwalks,  When pigweed seeds are ready put a large bag over the whole plant , bend the plant over and shake/ beat the seeds loose. You will get very small hard black seeds and lots of small white chaff. The chaff is very light and winnows out easily. You can grind the seeds in a small electric coffee grinder. The kind of coffee grinder that you push the button and watch the coffee( or pigweed ) spin around. The resulting purple flour can be used to make a nice gravy for potatoes.
 Put some pigweed flour and butter into a frypan , fry till the butter bubbles awhile then slowly add milk while stirring constantly. Add milk till gravy thins and whisk smooth.
Pigweed have these nasty little spines so a good thick pair of gloves make collecting the seeds easier.
The best part is how easily the chaff windows out. The flavor makes the project worthwhile and purple gravy on mashed potatoes brightens up the dinner plate.

El Cid

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: August 28, 2021, 06:53:46 PM »
Great recipe Bruce!

How is your garden these days?

Bruce Steele

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: August 29, 2021, 01:53:34 AM »
El CID, In the fall before rains begin I prepare the soil and wait for signs that rains will begin . I then put out my cover crop seeds, peas , oats and fava beans. Well I got ready and Oct. Nov. and Dec. passed without any rain. By the middle of Jan. our rain season delivered our one storm of the year. But to grow a cover crop I needed several storms that just never materialized. Amazingly that one storm got my no till wheat and spelt crops up but I gave up gardening efforts and will wait for the next season . My apricots did well and I got about fifty pints canned. The pear trees are doing well and my first Bartletts are about ready. I also got a Chilean wine palm planted out after five years in the greenhouse. My new moreton bay fig tree is still in a large planter box.

El Cid

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: August 30, 2021, 07:41:52 AM »
well Bruce, that rain situation you described is pretty bad...I guess climate change is not really good for Californian agriculture, is it? (unless you can irrigate)

anyway, this is why I like trees/perennials more than annuals: less hassle and more reliability usually. OTOH, they take a long time to start bearing heavily...

nanning

• Nilas ice
  • 0Kg CO₂, 37 KWh/wk,125L H₂O/wk, No offspring
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 273
  • Likes Given: 23170
« Reply #1265 on: August 30, 2021, 10:29:16 AM »
Great recipe Bruce!
<snip>

Perhaps a good idea to add a thread called "Recipes"?
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell
"It is preoccupation with what other people from your groups think of you, that prevents you from living freely and nobly" - Nanning
Why do you keep accumulating stuff?

Bruce Steele

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: August 30, 2021, 05:36:43 PM »
Nanning, Getting your wife to appreciate wild foods has much to do with ones ability to prepare them into tasty dishes.
 Always good to see you are still posting.

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1049
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1267 on: September 06, 2021, 12:34:35 AM »
Menon at scroll: food forests and home gardens

"Dayal’s home garden boasts of over 200 species of trees, plants and herbs, a variety of avifauna, animals like monitor lizards, civets and insects and reptiles."

https://scroll.in/article/1004045/keralas-traditional-home-gardens-offer-a-natural-way-to-mitigate-climate-change

sidd

El Cid

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: September 19, 2021, 12:23:17 PM »
I don't know if I have written about this before but I have never before grown soybeans (of course soybeans are a huge crop in industrial ag, but not in gardens, at least not here).
Anyway, I decided to give it a shot and bought some Hokkaido Black Soybeans (supposed to be one of the best eating varieties) and planted them in May.

This thing is really prolific: I had 50-150 seeds on each plant. I harvested them green (Aug-early Sep) and used them as edamame. You harvest the green pods when they are plump. Then you just cook the  pods in water for 10 min and then open the pods, eat the cooked green seeds and discard the pods.

Even with no seasonings this tastes real good: reminds me of sweet chestnuts. I will definitely plant more next year.

I don't know if it's just me, but noone around here grows these things in gardens and it was new for me and a great success. Easy to grow (planted them, mulched around them later and watered them as needed, that's all), great taste, what else do you need?

(The Japanese say that you need to eat them as soon as possible after harvest because even after a day it loses a lot of its taste! So best to pick and cook immediately)

etienne

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • About energy
« Reply #1269 on: September 26, 2021, 11:02:29 AM »
Spinach definitively lost the fight against slugs this year.

Here is also a picture of my Chinese cabbage.

I guess I should follow the advice of my wife and get some chickens, but she refuses to eat it. Of course old chickens also eat slugs.

P-maker

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 72
« Reply #1270 on: September 26, 2021, 01:56:23 PM »
El Cid

Tried the soy beans in my garden a few years ago. The meagre outcome at that time was not worth the trouble. Soy beans require more than 10 degrees C before sowing and they are vulnerable to mould and other unpleseantries before harvest.

You can actually buy frozen green edamame beans at a fair price in the super market all year round.

This year, the garden is full of green cabbages, beet roots, parsnips, leeks and other crops, which are somewhat difficult to incorporate in a modern menu.

Next year, I will consider including soy beans, chick peas and other kinds of protein-rich crops in my garden plan in order to get rid of the last urge to eat meat from time to time.

El Cid

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: September 27, 2021, 08:03:01 AM »
El Cid

Tried the soy beans in my garden a few years ago. The meagre outcome at that time was not worth the trouble. Soy beans require more than 10 degrees C before sowing and they are vulnerable to mould and other unpleseantries before harvest.

hmmm...maybe you used another variety, the one I planted (Hokkaido black) was really great (taste, yield-to-seed ratio, plant health) or maybe your climate is different from mine or maybe it did not like your soil-type.

But it is true that you need to plant it quite late here (mid-to late May) but I usually also plant out frost sensitive transplants at that time since we could have ground frost here even at the beginning of May (although the frost free period at 2 m high is usually between early-mid April to mid-late October)

etienne

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • About energy
« Reply #1272 on: October 03, 2021, 10:21:38 AM »
Does anybody knows what these salad eaters are ?

I had a salad on that spot yesterday.

etienne

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • About energy
« Reply #1273 on: October 03, 2021, 12:22:51 PM »
Google lens says centipede.

This would explain the poor results of this gardening year.

Added: It's quite complicated to attract only the helpers in a garden. I've got more success with the ones that eat everything I'm hoping to harvest sometimes in the future.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2021, 09:56:27 PM by etienne »

etienne

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • About energy
« Reply #1274 on: November 15, 2021, 07:14:40 PM »
My cardoons have grown very well this year. They are now in glasses.

Does anybody know if it is a problem that the water level is lower than the vegetable level ?

Thanks,

Etienne

Bruce Steele

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1275 on: November 17, 2021, 02:38:56 AM »
Etienne, I grow cabbage and make homemade sourkraut. I cut a thick cabbage  leaf into a disk that acts a a lid to keep the shredded cabbage in one quart jars  submerged. I have nice smooth River pebbles to weight the cabbage disk down and add enough juice to keep everything submerged.
 So I would think keeping things submerged is important but kraut isn’t cardoons. Now I know what to do with extra cardoons. If you want to weight them down boil some smooth river pebbles for weights.

etienne

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • About energy
« Reply #1276 on: November 17, 2021, 10:53:09 PM »
The way I prepared the cardoons are like canned goods. I cooked it for one hour with the lid closed. These are special glasses that allows the pressure out, but don't let the air back in when it cools down, so it is a packaging with a lower pressure than the atmospheric pressure inside.
The glasses can also be used for sourkraut because it doesn't allow pressure to be built under the lid.

Here are examples of recipes : https://www.leparfait.com/recipes

You shouldn't use the same glasses for sweet and for salted goods, so they produce two form of glasses.

With compote, you normally don't need the long thermal treatment, I fill the cleaned and dried glasses with the as hot as possible compote, than put it still hot for like one hour in a transportation bag for deep freezed products. That method can also been used to sterilize large quantities of water.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 11:40:48 PM by etienne »

etienne

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • About energy
« Reply #1277 on: November 21, 2021, 06:05:20 PM »
I just found out that my cardoons are only safe because of the added vinegar. If the product is not acid enough, fruits are never a problem, you need a pressure canner, which is quite difficult to find in Europe. The other option is to cook things you canned. The problem is botulism.

Added: the issue is that high pressure accessories are much more regulated in the EU, so the systems that are authorized are way more expensive.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 07:17:46 PM by etienne »

Sebastian Jones

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 216
  • Likes Given: 159
« Reply #1278 on: April 17, 2022, 03:56:36 AM »
Inspired by Sidd's admiration for his neighbour who has 20 tons of soy beans stored (just in case one assumes...), but trying to place comments in the appropriate thread, I am planning to plant Black Beans this year.
I have done a little google research and I think I just might be able, with luck and a longer than  normal summer, to get a crop off.
Currently it is still approaching minus 20 at night and the garden is under 70 cm of snow, so the next update will probably be when I plant, maybe by late May.

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: April 17, 2022, 07:26:16 AM »
Re:  Sidd's admiration

Not quite. We make fun of him a lot. The local joke is that they been sitting so long that they are all square and wont roll down the auger, so thats why he hasnt unloaded that bin. He's a good guy, and takes the joshing well. He keeps telling me that someday he'll get them into the crusher ...

I had a few tons stored in a bin for a couple years before i got around to crushing them into oil and meal.

Soy stores well, much better than corn, and hugely better than canola. I try to get the canola crushed no more than a couple weeks after harvest.

sidd

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: April 17, 2022, 08:02:35 AM »
Re: bean/grain storage

It really depends on how much. Food grade buckets are great for small amounts. If you wann store a few tons in a bin, then you must be very thorough in insect, rodent and moisture control, those are biggest problems. Depending on the grain/bean you may need air blowers, heaters or even cooling depending on ambient temperatures. If moths fly out the bin, you got problems. If your barn cats seem to be taking an inordinate interest in a bin, you probably got mice in them and you might wanna shine a light in there.

One time we were disassembling an auger loading a conical bottom bin that fed a crusher, and left it open while we were working on it. switched it on, tested for a bit, closed it up. At that point we noticed that two of the barn cats were on top of the bin. So we went up and opened the top and looked, there were two mice in there, and it was a job to keep the cats from jumping in. So we decided to unload the bin and went in the other barn to grab another auger, spent a couple hours digging the thing out from behind stuff. Before we returned, a third of our party showed up with his wife, said, "Hey they fixed it" and turned on the whole shebang.

We drag the unload auger over to find him and his wife watching the last of the grain in the bin come out the crusher, they turned to us and he said, "great job on the feed auger." This while his wife picked out some of the meal from the output hopper and chomped it down. "it doesnt taste bad," she said and headed back to the house.

That was a difficult conversation, explaining to him the mice were now part of the meal and oil ...

We took the meal over to the neighbour,, told him what was innit, he said "Gimme, my cows will love it." We ran the mousy oil straight into biodiesel. I dont think he ever told his wife.

Rodents are more difficult than many imagine, they can squeeze thru surprisingly small openings.

sidd

SteveMDFP

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 609
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #1281 on: April 17, 2022, 05:01:28 PM »

Rodents are more difficult than many imagine, they can squeeze thru surprisingly small openings.

sidd

Hence in ancient Egypt, a society dependent on grain crops, cats were revered as deities.  Harming one would result in criminal penalties.

Cats Rule in Ancient Egypt.
https://kids.nationalgeographic.com/pages/article/cats-rule-in-ancient-egypt

El Cid

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: May 07, 2022, 03:05:49 PM »
I planted an asparagus patch (cca 20 m2) from seed (half of them 2-2,5 and half 3 years ago). They were tiny during the first year (needle thick and 10 cm tall). Next year they grew bigger, and this year I've been harvesting daily 1/2 kg of asparagus since the beginning of May. Asparagus should last for 20-30 years, but needs some tending during the first 2 years so it's more like planting a fruit tree: a longer term investment.

It's my favourite spring vegetable, I eat it every day. Doesn't get boring, tastes absolutely superb!!!
It's totally worth it!

morganism

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 235
  • Likes Given: 143
« Reply #1283 on: May 07, 2022, 08:34:38 PM »
Just a phenomenal article on soil and farming in the Gaurdian

Some people have responded to these threats by calling for the relocalisation and de-intensification of farming. I understand their concerns. But their vision is mathematically impossible.

Almost single-handedly, through trial and error, Tolly has developed a new and revolutionary model of horticulture. At first it looks like magic. In reality, it’s the result of many years of meticulous experiments.

Two of his innovations appear to be crucial. The first, as he puts it, is to “make the system watertight”: preventing rain from washing through the soil, taking the nutrients with it. What this means is ensuring the land is almost never left bare. Beneath his vegetables grows an understorey of “green manure”, plants that cover the soil. Under the leaves of his pumpkins, I could see thousands of tiny seedlings: the “weeds” he had deliberately sown. When the crops are harvested, the green manure fills the gap and soon becomes a thicket of colour: blue chicory flowers, crimson clover, yellow melilot and trefoil, mauve Phacelia, pink sainfoin.

“There’s green manure under the green manure,” Tolly told me. “As soon as we cut the bigger plants, it comes into flower, and the bees go crazy.”

Some of the plants in his mix put down deep roots that draw nutrients from the subsoil. Every so often, Tolly runs a mower over them, chopping them into a coarse straw. Earthworms pull this down and incorporate it into the ground. “The idea is to let the plants put back at least as much carbon and minerals as we take out.”

Tolly tells me that “the green manure ties up nutrients, fixes nitrogen, adds carbon and enhances the diversity of the soil. The more plant species you sow, the more bacteria and fungi you encourage. Every plant has its own associations. Roots are the glue that holds and builds the soil biology.”

The other crucial innovation is to scatter over the green manure an average of one millimetre a year of chipped and composted wood, produced from his own trees or delivered by a local tree surgeon. This tiny amendment appears to make a massive difference. In the five years after he started adding woodchip, his yields roughly doubled. As Tolly explains: “It isn’t fertiliser; it’s an inoculant that stimulates microbes. The carbon in the wood encourages the bacteria and fungi that bring the soil back to life.” Tolly believes he’s adding enough carbon to help the microbes build the soil, but not so much that they lock up nitrogen, which is what happens if you give them more than they need.
Microbes are ‘unknown unknowns’ despite being vital to all life, says study
Read more

What Tolly appears to be doing is strengthening and diversifying the relationships in the rhizosphere – the plant’s external gut. By keeping roots in the soil, raising the number of plant species and adding just the right amount of carbon, he seems to have encouraged bacteria to build their catacombs in his stony ground, improving the soil’s structure and helping his plants to grow.

Tolly’s success forces us to consider what fertility means. It’s not just about the amount of nutrients the soil contains. It’s also a function of whether they’re available to plants at the right moments, and safely immobilised when plants don’t need them. In a healthy soil, crops can regulate their relationships with bacteria in the rhizosphere, ensuring that nutrients are unlocked only when they’re required. In other words, fertility is a property of a functioning ecosystem. Farm science has devoted plenty of attention to soil chemistry. But the more we understand, the more important the biology appears to be.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/may/07/secret-world-beneath-our-feet-mind-blowing-key-to-planets-future

(I have been into permaculture a long time, but lots of stuff in here i didn't know)

edit: add the land institute website

https://landinstitute.org/our-work/perennial-crops/
« Last Edit: May 08, 2022, 12:56:47 AM by morganism »

etienne

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • About energy
« Reply #1284 on: May 09, 2022, 11:25:40 AM »
This year I tried a new method to produce my seedlings. I bought a press to create cubes of earth and it works very well. I use supermarket earth that I soak with water.
On the picture, you also see my quinoa. The seeds prepared to eat I can buy in Luxembourg don't germinate too well.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2022, 11:34:24 AM by etienne »

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2064
  • Likes Given: 2002
« Reply #1285 on: May 09, 2022, 04:39:12 PM »
Is there a big difference in price to seed for planting?

And they germinate in water pretty fast. Maybe it's quicker to do that first and then plant them? (Not sure if that works but if it does you know quickly which ones do germinate).
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

etienne

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • About energy
« Reply #1286 on: May 09, 2022, 09:39:22 PM »
I use normal seeds to put in the cube of earth. Before, I used recycled plastic container of flowers to prepare my seedlings. I found this new method much better because with the plastic it was sometimes complicated to get the plant out, watering the seedlings was more complicated and it required much more space.

The method is very easy. The earth has to be soaked with water, the cube are produced, the mold even has a form with a place for the seed, I put the seed, add some earth if needed, and since the earth is very wet, the conditions are ideal for germination.

El Cid

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: May 10, 2022, 09:41:44 AM »
These are called "soil blocks" and Eliot Coleman ("the four season gardener", a real old-school pioneer of organic farming and season extension and much more) was a great lover of these, considering them superior to pot-grown seedlings.

BTW, there are many videos all around the net about Coleman. Anyone thinking about seriously gardening needs to see at least a couple of them.

Latent

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #1288 on: May 12, 2022, 10:55:32 AM »
We use the cardboard inner tubes from toilet rolls.  They hold their structure just long enough for the seeds to germinate and produce leaves and then you can pop them into the ground entire.  The cardboard decomposes and the roots can expand.  It saves trying to extract the plugs from plastic or other containers.

J Cartmill

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 30
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #1289 on: May 12, 2022, 02:44:31 PM »
Thanks Latent.
That is a great idea.

El Cid

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1290 on: May 12, 2022, 03:32:09 PM »
I've tried that trick before. Unfortunately our rolls started collapsing after 2-3 weeks so they did not stay strong long enough. If the rolls stay wet they are prone to falling. If they are not wet, the plant dries out...

Latent

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: May 13, 2022, 06:11:00 PM »
You can tuck them together in some kind of supportive container.  A plastic ice cream tub or box or even a wooden tray.  That helps to maintain structure.  I'm not technical enough to upload a photo but will try and find you a link.

Latent

• New ice
    • View Profile

etienne

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • About energy
« Reply #1293 on: May 14, 2022, 06:22:44 PM »
I already tried different methods, also with eggs boxes and last year I bought plates with cups  (don't know how to call it, there is a picture below), and the soil cubes really is what I found the most efficient, and the tool to produce it only costed 32 EUR.

etienne

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • About energy
« Reply #1294 on: May 23, 2022, 02:26:34 PM »
Thank you all for the beautiful posts, a joy to read :)
I'll watch the video's later. Nice.

etienne, your garden seems to have two gardeners.
Perhaps the vole has children to feed?

A bit of info on voles.

en.wikipedia:
A 2016 study into the behavior of voles, Microtus ochrogaster specifically, found that voles comfort each other when mistreated, spending more time grooming a mistreated vole. Voles that were not mistreated had levels of stress-hormones that were similar to the voles that had been mistreated, suggesting that the voles were capable of empathizing with each other.

I'd say the voles are a more advanced species than civilisation humans.

Trivia:

urbandictionary.com:
vole
Used as a nickname for Microsoft Corp. (a Redmond WA-based company) commonly in alternative media with ties to opensource software.
Also commonly found as "The Vole".

Here you can find them at work  :P
bitsdujour.com/software/vole_office
This year the vole is hungry again. I already lost about 10% of my potatoes. So I am trying a system making vibrations in the ground. Does anybody know if that disturbs more that the voles, moles... If things like insects, worms... are disturbed?

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
« Reply #1295 on: May 23, 2022, 02:54:42 PM »
Earthworms are certainly affected by some vibrations in the ground, hence "worm grunting". 
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: May 23, 2022, 05:49:29 PM »
This year the vole is hungry again. I already lost about 10% of my potatoes. So I am trying a system making vibrations in the ground. Does anybody know if that disturbs more that the voles, moles... If things like insects, worms... are disturbed?

That could possibly also compact the ground. Have you tried natural repellants?
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

etienne

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • About energy
« Reply #1297 on: May 24, 2022, 07:00:23 AM »
Garlic is very effective, but only on a very short distance. A garlic "fence" around the carrots seems to work, but this brings few problems. The garlic is ready for harvest before  the carrots or the potatoes, if I leave the garlic longer than needed,  it gets a bad taste, and I just have too much garlic. Furthermore I am worried that putting so much garlic on the same places every year can't be healthy for the garden.
The repellent flowers I tried didn't really enjoy my garden. Most didn't come back the second year. They were all bulbs flowers, so they should have. And it was also only a short distance protection.

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: May 24, 2022, 05:25:10 PM »
Does the garlic become less effective when it is in too long? If not you could plant some garlic just as fence and some other for eating (or thin out the fence?).

Have you considered raised beds for growing?

etienne

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • About energy
« Reply #1299 on: May 24, 2022, 07:47:04 PM »
Here is an example of my garlic fence. 2 rows garlic for 3 rows oignons and 2 rows carrots. That's a lot of garlic.
Leaving some of the garlic doesn't help, you need the full row. I don't need it in the front row because the vole comes from the back side.
Making a garlic fence around the whole garden is complicated because I need a few pathways to move around.
I had one raised bed, but didn't like it. I had other issues like ants and dry soil. Ants in raised beds seems to be an issue over here. I guess that they prefer the imported soil than the native one, a neighbor has the same problem. He kept the bed but fights with chemicals.