Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: New Sea Ice Website  (Read 4813 times)

BornFromTheVoid

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 679
  • Likes Given: 299
New Sea Ice Website
« on: February 14, 2014, 03:41:23 PM »
For anyone subscribed to cyolist, this message has just been sent out.

Dear cryolisters,

We would like to draw your attention towards an ongoing demonstration phase of  the ANISTIAMO project. ANISTIAMO is an ESA funded project to improve Maritime Surveillance and Arctic Sea Ice Information.

For the demonstration phase we provide sea ice thickness and drift products for the Barents and Kara seas. Also the ice concentration charts by
JAXA over the same area are available on our website.  The products are available at www.arcice.org.  All products can be viewed freely but if you want to download them, possible also in numerical format (netCDF file), registration is mandatory.
Feedback about the products and the website is strongly encouraged. Please send any comments you may have to markku.simila@fmi.fi.

Best regards,

Markku Similä
Finnish Meteorological Institute

Here's the site http://www.arcice.org/
Latest thickness data for the Barents/Kara Region

I recently joined the twitter thing, where I post more analysis, pics and animations: @Icy_Samuel

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
Re: New Sea Ice Website
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 05:15:52 PM »
Looks like a great site, but they won't allow signings with Canadian mail codes such as N2R-3S3,
Their program does not accept letters. Another problem was that they insisted my E-Mail address was not valid so I was unable to contact them via their contact page.
If someone who is signed in could alert them to these problems I'd be very grateful.
Terry

JackTaylor

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 03:58:38 PM »
Looks like a great site, but they won't allow signings with Canadian mail codes such as N2R-3S3,
Their program does not accept letters. Another problem was that they insisted my E-Mail address was not valid so I was unable to contact them via their contact page.
If someone who is signed in could alert them to these problems I'd be very grateful.
Terry
Terry
 got this from their sign-up page http://www.arcice.org/signup
"Welcome to Anistiamo
Thank you for registering your details. Your account will be activated upon verification within next one working day."

At first they would not accept the names of any environmental organization or such I am a member of so I reverted to an old "compuserve" BB weeding out trick
Organization: USN
Department: Retired

Will let you know if they accept/activate it after their verification.
Hope is just an E-mail reply required.

Jack

LarsBoelen

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 10:56:13 PM »
I got accepted by giving perfectly true info
Organisation : private
Department : N.A.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 12:35:57 AM »
Thanks guys If someone is able to get hold of them the way they have it set up excludes Canadians from visiting as our zip codes have 6 digits with mixed alpha and numeric characters. Can't understand why they didn't like my GMail address either.
Terry

JackTaylor

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 02:47:45 AM »
"our zip codes have 6 digits with mixed alpha and numeric characters. Can't understand why they didn't like my GMail address either."
Terry
Good point Terry.  Forgot to mention they would not accept more than 5-digits with the hyphen of nor extra 4 to my 9 digit extended Zip Code.

They have their reasons

I got accepted by giving perfectly true info
Organisation : private
Department : N.A.
Lars,
LOL - guess I sound suspicious.  As long as the "organization" pays me I honestly feel like I belong to it and am a member in good standing. And do not regret disclosing its name.

Personally I think it is perhaps their "first pass" or "omissions"  on coding what they want 'interactive' and will update the input-form checks/verification.

ChrisReynolds

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • Dosbat
  • Liked: 20
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2014, 09:29:06 PM »
Thanks BFTV,

Damn, I really do need to get to grips with netcdf - overly complex bloody format!  >:(