Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Can art save the Arctic?  (Read 2876 times)

Clare

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 1
Can art save the Arctic?
« on: March 05, 2014, 09:22:44 AM »
Hi Arctic watchers,

I am starting this new thread, felt there was a place here for us to share examples of Arctic inspired art, and particularly but not exclusively art related to CC in the Arctic. I didn't think this quite fitted on Ivica's Arctic Cafe thread.

Of course this question is a bit silly so rhetorical but it caught my eye when used for a crowd sourcing fundraiser for this documentary by Saeed Taji Farouky titled "There Will Be Some Who Will Not Fear Even That Void".
 http://www.touristwithatypewriter.com/void/void_synopsis.htm

Still those of us who enjoy seeing or making art do understand it can be a powerful medium capable of moving people emotionally and is a valuable means of exposing people to new ideas and enhancing their understanding about things in ways that words alone cannot always manage to do.

I figure somehow we have to get the 'message' out to people in any way we possibly can. Words & the media don't seem to make making much headway so why not use art forms as well! And of course lots already do.

I make art stuff myself & have been here at Neven's blog & now the Forum for some years. Well, after I was privileged to receive an artist 'residency' to travel to NZ's Scott Base in Antarctica with my resultant 'Look South' exhibition touring to several NZ Musea. After a brief hiatus (health issues & the day job were my excuses excuses...) I am back at work, this time looking north to the Arctic.
I am including this  detail of a recent piece, 'Code Orange'. I work with textiles/fibres. I am using polyester fibres here like tyvek & garden 'frost cloth' which I stitch & then 'attack'/melt with a heat gun.

Not that I want this to be about my work, just felt I should 'put my money where my mouth is' for starters!
Clare

Clare

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Can art save the Arctic?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 09:27:40 AM »
MELTING MEN by  Brazilian artist Nele Azevedo.

http://inhabitat.com/eco-art-nele-azvedo-melting-men/

I would love to have seen this installation.
Clare

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
  • Don't Vote NatC or PopCon, Save Lives!
    • View Profile
    • The Arctic sea ice Great White Con
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 87
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 12:28:38 PM »
We had similar thoughts on the blog this time last year. Here's my plagiaristic effort, together with a piece of poetry:

Out flew the web and floated wide
    The mirror crack’d from side to side;
    “The curse is come upon me,” cried
    The Lady of Shalott.

Alfred, Lord Tennyson

And with apologies to Sidney Harold Meteyard:

"The most revolutionary thing one can do always is to proclaim loudly what is happening" - Rosa Luxemburg

ccgwebmaster

• Nilas ice
  • Civilisation collapse - what are you doing?
    • View Profile
    • CCG Website
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 07:26:05 PM »
I'm really not one for arts - but this might be relevant:

http://theartofclimatechange.com/