Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Nuclear Power  (Read 436694 times)

Bob Wallace

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 41
  • Likes Given: 5
Re: Nuclear Power
« Reply #550 on: January 17, 2018, 03:55:17 PM »
The ramping problem was interesting.  I wish there was more information.  Was that reactor not designed for ramping?  Was it ramped frequently and deeply than is normally done?  Thermal stress problem?

numerobis

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #551 on: January 17, 2018, 06:12:20 PM »
Or an excuse by nuclear operators, trying to blame evil renewables?

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1159
  • Likes Given: 430
« Reply #552 on: January 17, 2018, 07:52:25 PM »
Good discussion on nuclear ramping here:

http://www.vanadiumcorp.com/news/climate/972-solar-and-nukes
The nuclear industry admits that ramping results in additional wear on plant equipment, however there is disagreement between the nuclear industry and its critics regarding how much the control rods are affected by ramping nuclear power plants and the degree of the resulting effect on safe operation of these plants. EDF maintains that most of the effects are in the secondary circuits, or the non-nuclear part of the plant, such as pumps and valves, and describes the additional maintenance needed as being “marginal.”

“The pressure and temperature variations are much lower in the primary circuit (localized in the nuclear part), which avoids consequences on the materials,” EDF told pv magazine.

Meanwhile, a 2010 report by Austria’s Ökologie Institut describes a mechanism whereby frequent ramping deforms the plastic on control rods, with potential cracking if the power increase is too large. In the case of the Brokdorf plant, safety inspectors attributed accelerated oxidation of the plant’s rods to ramping.
http://www.vanadiumcorp.com/news/climate/972-solar-and-nukes

And a rather snarky article on the trials and tribulations of Gundremmingen plant here:
Germany shuts down next nuclear plant
https://energytransition.org/2017/12/germany-shuts-down-next-nuclear-plant/
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1047
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #553 on: January 17, 2018, 09:56:53 PM »

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5304
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #554 on: January 22, 2018, 11:08:12 AM »
The hidden costs of nuclear power.

The UK is still struggling to find a solution to store radioactive waste. NIMBY rules?

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/jan/21/search-area-willing-host-highly-radioactive-waste-uk-geology
Search restarts for area willing to host highly radioactive UK waste
Right geology and local consent are key in consultation due to be launched this week

The government is expected this week to begin a nationwide search for a community willing to host an underground nuclear waste dump to store highly radioactive material for thousands of years.

Britain has been trying for years to secure a site with the right geology and local communities which would volunteer to host a £12bn geological disposal facility (GDF), as a long-term solution for the most dangerous waste from nuclear power stations.
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #555 on: January 30, 2018, 09:24:03 PM »

Bruce Steele

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 753
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #556 on: January 31, 2018, 04:35:25 AM »
Here is a article from David Roberts on the hard choices we all face. I don't call myself an environmentalist and sometimes that is a hard stand to make. A climate hawk yes, and willing to suffer and sacrifice because I believe hard choices are at hand. Nuclear sucks, big hydro sucks but BAU and the consequent extinctions it turns a blind eye to sucks worse. NIMBY and righteousness go hand in hand with much I have been forced to fight from the environmental movement. Locally they have shut down large wind farms, sustainable fisheries, and reasonable solutions ( or partial solutions) that fly in the face of their donor base.

https://www.vox.com/energy-and-environment/2018/1/27/16935382/climate-change-ugly-tradeoffs

DrTskoul

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 210
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #557 on: January 31, 2018, 02:41:24 PM »
+1

solartim27

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 42
  • Likes Given: 75
« Reply #558 on: February 01, 2018, 05:36:05 PM »
Nice article about a small scale (50 MW) air cooled modular design.  Still no idea on what to do with the spent fuel.
http://enewspaper.latimes.com/infinity/article_share.aspx?guid=cf729256-b287-46eb-a59e-4d03cb0ac676
FNORD

Bob Wallace

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: February 01, 2018, 05:46:07 PM »
Nice article about a small scale (50 MW) air cooled modular design.  Still no idea on what to do with the spent fuel.
http://enewspaper.latimes.com/infinity/article_share.aspx?guid=cf729256-b287-46eb-a59e-4d03cb0ac676

At 6 cents per kilowatt-hour, the plant would be cheaper to run than the utility’s wind farms in Idaho and Wyoming, and on par with its natural-gas-fired plant in Utah.

The cost to run a wind (or solar) operation is less than 1 cent per kilowatt-hour.  The full, unsubsidized, cost of new wind is now under 3 cents per kilowatt.

This article?  Garbage in, bullpoop out.

numerobis

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: February 01, 2018, 08:50:36 PM »
Agree on the energy market.

On the capacity market, wind can't compete because it's intermittent.

However, nuclear power is no better at providing cheap capacity than it is at providing cheap energy. The recent set of Colorado bids had batteries at about $10/kW-mo (meaning every month, at any time the utility can call on you to provide 1 kW, and every month it'll pay you 10 bucks for that privilege). It was more expensive than the fossil fuel bids: gas at about $4 and gas+battery at about $6.

Assuming zero interest and zero operations cost, a nuclear plant at $5000/kW that lasts 40 years would break even at ... $10/kW-mo. Interest is non-zero and it's not zero-cost to maintain a nuclear plant. So even batteries are cheaper than nuclear.

Bob Wallace

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: February 01, 2018, 08:57:07 PM »
Don't assume wind intermittency is a large problem.  In the Southwest a combination of wind and solar is likely to produce more than 80% of electricity.  Add in some hydro and it gets better.  Add in offshore wind and it gets better yet.

In the NW and NE a combination of offshore wind and hydro along with some summer solar is likely to do a good job of covering demand as it happens.

In the SE wind, solar and hydro again.

numerobis

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: February 01, 2018, 09:28:24 PM »
I didn't say it's a large problem. It's just a market segment that individual wind farms cannot bid on.

A company that has several wind farms and some solar farms and maybe some batteries or a hydro plant in their portfolio -- that company might be able manage a bid by drawing on all the plants together to guarantee it can fulfill its contract.

Bob Wallace

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: February 02, 2018, 12:12:40 AM »
I don't think that is how most future grids will work.  It's more likely that utilities will sign PPAs for large amounts of wind and solar and then figure out how to fill in the gaps.

The gaps are likely to be less than most people suspect.  And the fill-ins could be pump-up storage, CAES, flow batteries, hydrogen turbines/fuel cells or something yet to be invented.  Oh, throw in some load-avoidance as well.  On the few days a year when supply is critically low we could see some large consumers (aluminum smelters, pulp mills, desal plants, etc.) turn off until supply is back to normal.

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3589
  • Likes Given: 3940
« Reply #564 on: February 02, 2018, 01:53:12 AM »
I think the most natural (partial) solution to intermittency is variable electricity pricing. Let consumers decide when to start the drier or dishwasher and when to charge their EVs, as well as adjusting AC thermostats and other measures. It requires smart meters and some app that will show current prices at any time and will push notifications of very high and very low prices so that consumers can react approproately. Moving forward, the appliances and charging dock can be made price-aware for easier management.

Sleepy

• Nilas ice
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 120
« Reply #565 on: February 02, 2018, 08:08:10 AM »
Sweden shut down Oskarshamn 1 last year. O1 is scheduled to be fully decomissioned in 2026. That project started in 1965, first commercial production in 1972.
https://www.iaea.org/PRIS/CountryStatistics/ReactorDetails.aspx?current=534
Energy Availability Factor: 62%.
Intermittent energy source?  :)
Omnia mirari, etiam tritissima.
-
Science is a jealous mistress and takes little account of a man's feelings.

numerobis

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: February 02, 2018, 02:43:25 PM »
I don't think that is how most future grids will work.  It's more likely that utilities will sign PPAs for large amounts of wind and solar and then figure out how to fill in the gaps.

You’re trying to win, not trying to understand.

Utilities pay for energy, and they pay for capacity, and they have demand-shedding schemes and so on. This happens today to “fill in the gaps” as you put it. The advent of intermittent renewables doesn’t change that. Sometimes it’s done via explicit markets, sometimes it’s a via a price signal, sometimes it’s done via central planning. But all utilities do this, now.

Individuals wind turbines can’t play in the capacity market, because you can’t rely on a wind tower having wind available when needed. They can’t play in the demand-reduction schemes because they don’t have (much) demand. They’re good at producing energy for cheap on average. I know you know this, because you said as much with your “filling in the gaps”. Wind turbines also make for terrible propellers, but we build them for what they’re good at, not what they’re bad at.

Nuclear plants can play in either the energy market or the capacity market (and I guess demand markets, since they can safely stop cooling idle reactors for a few minutes). You said their operations costs were far more expensive than new wind, and I agree. So nuclear is going to lose badly in the energy market.

The article also says it’s $5/W to build the plant. They’re dispatchable power which means you can build a peaker plant: sit around idle and just split atoms when there’s a gap to fill. I was going through the math to show that nuclear power also loses there, to this year’s batteries or to various others.

Bob Wallace

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: February 02, 2018, 05:04:33 PM »
Nuclear is going to badly lose in the capacity market as well.  Nuclear is losing in the capacity market.  Paid off nuclear plants in the US are closing because they cannot compete with wind, solar and natural gas. 

$5/watt, 90% CF nuclear would not be competitive when the installed price of 30% CF solar is at $1/watt and 50% CF wind is approaching $1/watt.  And $5/watt is not an installed watt.   

Plus it's the price put on a product which has not been produced and a price from the nuclear industry which has consistently underestimated the delivered price.

Wind and solar will almost certainly be our main sources of electricity along with hydro in some regions.  With an acceptable amount of overbuilding and smart EV charging wind and solar can provide a very large percentage of our electricity. 

We're moving from the old way of generating electricity where we mainly boiled water in order to power steam turbines.   We must leave fossil fuels behind.  We must move to low carbon energy sources.  Nuclear is a low carbon energy source but it's simply too expensive to be part of the future energy mix.

tombond

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #568 on: February 12, 2018, 01:05:29 AM »
60 years ago atmospheric CO2 levels were just over 300ppm and today are above 400ppm the fastest rise in the geological record.  https://www.co2.earth/co2-acceleration

Globally the last four years are the hottest in the meteorological record.  https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/global/201713

The belief that we can continue to dump fossil fuel waste into the sky without consequence is based on hope.

30 years ago France made the transition to low carbon electricity by replacing fossil fuels with nuclear, reducing CO2 emissions by 80% from 500g/kWh in 1971 to just 100g/kWh in 1987.

For the last 30 years France has continuously generated low carbon electricity using 63GW of nuclear and in 2017 CO2 emissions were just 74g/kWh.  http://www.rte-france.com/en/eco2mix/chiffres-cles-en

Germany increased renewable capacity to a massive 113GW, mainly intermittent wind and solar duplicating 80GW of fossil fuel capacity that has to be retained to provide backup power when the wind and sun are not available.

In 2017 German CO2 emissions were 500g/kWh or 6 times greater than France. 

Pages 16 and 26 in  https://www.agora-energiewende.de/fileadmin/Projekte/2018/Jahresauswertung_2017/Agora_Jahresauswertung-2017.pdf

The belief that effective CO2 emission reductions can be achieved with intermittent renewables is also based on hope.

Sebastian Jones

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 214
  • Likes Given: 159
« Reply #569 on: February 12, 2018, 06:04:42 AM »

The belief that effective CO2 emission reductions can be achieved with intermittent renewables is also based on hope.

Sometimes I am driven to conclude that hope is all we have left to cling to.
In the short term, nukes can reduce direct carbon emissions, but in the long term they make as much sense as driving herds of mammoths over cliffs did 11,000 years ago.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5304
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #570 on: March 05, 2018, 06:45:12 PM »
A ghost from the past is about to die?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/may/30/three-mile-island-nuclear-plant-shutdown-pennsylvania

Three Mile Island faces shutdown without financial rescue from Pennsylvania
Owner of plant – site of worst commercial nuclear power accident in US history – urges state to preserve ‘clean, reliable’ energy source

You must remember the flic? Hanoi Jane etc.
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: March 05, 2018, 07:05:36 PM »
I think PA will bail 3Mile out. For a few years anyway.

In other news, more lawsuits over botched nuke construction:

https://www.utilitydive.com/news/south-carolina-cooperatives-sue-santee-cooper-over-summer-nuke-charge/517897/

sidd

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
« Reply #572 on: March 05, 2018, 07:17:36 PM »
I think PA will bail 3Mile out. For a few years anyway.

In other news, more lawsuits over botched nuke construction:

https://www.utilitydive.com/news/south-carolina-cooperatives-sue-santee-cooper-over-summer-nuke-charge/517897/

sidd

This isn't the same Westinghouse that hammers round fuel rods into octagonal chambers in reactors throughout Ukraine is it?
That always seemed like a really bad idea, one that Hanoi Jane should be reporting on.

Terry

numerobis

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: March 27, 2018, 03:49:31 AM »

numerobis

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: March 27, 2018, 01:21:26 PM »
It would be crazy if the goal were power.

Saudi has extremely cheap solar, a quarter or a fifth of what nuclear seems to cost (that’s hard to tell given how few plants are even being built). It’s so cheap that on economic grounds you’d be tempted to mothball existing nuclear plants and build new solar instead, desalination during the day instead of at night.

But as cover for a nuclear weapons program it makes perfect sense.

BenB

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 51
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #575 on: March 28, 2018, 11:51:31 AM »
Tomas, it's true that Saudi Arabia's renewables programme will only cover a fraction of their needs, but the point is that they could very cheaply cover a far greater proportion of demand using renewables if they wanted to. Instead, they are using nuclear plants that are likely to be considerably more expensive. This may be diversification, it may be due to concerns about intermittency, it may be stupidity, it may reflect political pressure, or it may be because it ties in with a military nuclear programme. I honestly don't know.

numerobis

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: March 28, 2018, 01:57:59 PM »
Clean safe cheap nuclear power will save the kingdom of Saud.

Happy now?

ghoti

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 12
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #577 on: March 29, 2018, 01:08:43 AM »
Saudis plan 200GW of solar by 2030 - at 20% capacity factor that's the equivalent of 40 large nuclear plants. Don't see them needing nuclear for electricity...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-03-28/saudi-arabia-softbank-ink-deal-on-200-billion-solar-project

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: March 29, 2018, 03:58:50 AM »
Assuming these reactors are planned for economic reasons and not related to some military program, there is another factor at play. Having such reactors puts the country at risk from attacks by other countries in the volatile Middle East region. It basically adds a very vulnerable sitting duck to your inventory. If I were the Saudis, I would much prefer my electric generation be done in solar plants, large or small and distributed, rather than tie myself to nuclear behemoths.

numerobis

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: March 30, 2018, 04:13:21 AM »
The distinct advantage of renewables is price.

Saudi can get electricity under $30/MWh for solar PV; they hit that record a few years ago, and prices have continued to fall since. Nuclear is estimated at well over $100/MWh these days. Even solar thermal is cheaper. I'm not sure their price for wind but apparently there's a fair bit available too.

If you're going to spend $200 billion on power infrastructure, renewables will displace a lot more fossil fuels than nuclear. Unless magically nuclear power suddenly becomes cheap like it's been promising to do since its inception.

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: March 30, 2018, 08:35:46 AM »
The distinct advantage of renewables is price.
And coming online much faster than nuclear.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1159
  • Likes Given: 430
« Reply #581 on: April 01, 2018, 07:43:44 PM »
U.S.

Utility Giant FirstEnergy Calls for Emergency Subsidy, Says It Can’t Compete
FirstEnergy echoed Rick Perry’s ‘grid reliability' argument, saying its coal and nuclear plants can’t be allowed to lose out to cheaper renewables and natural gas.
Deep in debt and undercut in the marketplace by renewable power, the big utility company FirstEnergy appealed to the Trump administration on Thursday to use emergency powers to let it charge more for standby power from its coal and nuclear plants.

The request, in a letter to Energy Secretary Rick Perry, followed an announcement that the company plans to close three nuclear plants in Ohio and Pennsylvania unless they can get a break.

FirstEnergy said that if it has to shutter outmoded or uncompetitive plants, the nation's largest regional grid operator—PJM Interconnection—might lose the capacity to reliably serve its customers from the Atlantic Coast into the Midwest.
The American Petroleum Institute, a trade lobby whose members also produce natural gas, issued a sharp condemnation of the call for subsidies.

"FirstEnergy's latest attempt to spread a false narrative surrounding the reliability of the electric grid is nothing more than a ruse that will force Main Street consumers to pay higher prices," API Market Development Group Director Todd Snitchler said. "For FirstEnergy to cry wolf on the issue of grid reliability is irresponsible and is the company's latest attempt to force consumers to pay for a bailout. PJM is responsible for the reliability of the grid and if there is an emergency, PJM already has the tools to respond." ...
https://insideclimatenews.org/news/29032018/firstenergy-coal-nuclear-power-plant-subsidy-electric-grid-reliability-emergency-order-rick-perry
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: April 02, 2018, 11:59:07 PM »

Shared Humanity

« Reply #583 on: April 03, 2018, 12:47:15 AM »
If there is one thing the Saudis have a lot of, it is sunlight.

Sleepy

• Nilas ice
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 120
« Reply #584 on: April 06, 2018, 08:23:48 AM »
Omnia mirari, etiam tritissima.
-
Science is a jealous mistress and takes little account of a man's feelings.

Sciguy

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 239
  • Likes Given: 188
« Reply #585 on: April 10, 2018, 07:51:40 PM »
Two new reactors for the Turkey Point site near Homestead, FL: https://weather.com/news/news/2018-04-09-turkey-point-nuclear-reactor-expansion-homestead

On Thursday, the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) approved a pair of new reactors at the Turkey Point Nuclear Generating Station, which is owned by Florida Power & Light, the Palm Beach Post reported. If the reactors are built, they could cost as much as $21.8 billion and wouldn't be ready until at least 2031, the report added.

In a 2014 investigation, weather.com and the Huffington Post identified the Turkey Point plant as one of the eight U.S. power plants most vulnerable to flooding from sea level rise by the end of the century. It showed that in worst-case projections, nearly all of the plant could be flooded by a tropical system in 2033, if current sea level rise projections materialize.

I'm surprised that anyone is even proposing to build new nukes in the US after the Westinghouse bankruptcy.  If the current estimated cost is $21.8 billion, the probably cost will be over $40 billion.  And with the rapid growth of renewables and battery storage, does anyone think that there will be a need for these plants in the 2030s?

numerobis

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: April 10, 2018, 09:22:30 PM »
With enough battery storage, nuclear plants might become economical again.

James Lovejoy

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #587 on: April 11, 2018, 03:32:37 AM »
"With enough battery storage, nuclear plants might become economical again."

You need to show your work here.

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: April 11, 2018, 03:42:34 AM »
With enough battery storage, nuclear plants might become economical again.
I'm guessing you mean that with batteries being able to supply all demand spikes, nuclear plants can go back to be a stable undispatchable base-load.
This is possibly a small improvement in nuclear economics, but regardless there is no way with current technology that nuclear will become economical again, considering its long time to commissioning, high construction costs, problematic maintenance and end-of-life issues, contrasted with the dropping cost of wind, solar and batteries.

Bob Wallace

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: April 11, 2018, 07:45:08 AM »
The nuclear industry always has something better coming down the pipeline.

But once something new arrives it costs more than the expensive solutions they had already delivered.  That's what they have done for over half a century.

You want to believe in nuclear?  Fine.  But do  yourself a favor and believe nothing the nuclear industry says until they've produced the data needed.

Best to turn your belief for a future role for nuclear into hope while paying attention to what is actually producing low cost low carbon electricity.

Bob Wallace

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: April 11, 2018, 09:10:08 AM »
What does your question have to do with my comment?

I said nothing at all about nuclear safety, one way or another.  I simply pointed out that while the nuclear industry has promised cheaper electricity for decades they've only delivered more expensive.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1336
  • Likes Given: 618
« Reply #591 on: April 11, 2018, 10:36:59 AM »
You're both right. Gen IV is the only nuclear one should consider, but it's not so easy to get there, and the nuclear industry can't be trusted on its word.
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

numerobis

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: April 11, 2018, 01:20:04 PM »
"With enough battery storage, nuclear plants might become economical again."

You need to show your work here.

“Might” as in it’s their only hope at this point.

The last few percent of decarbonization will demand some solution that, like nuclear plants, can provide power in the few days that intermittent sources can’t provide. Unless batteries get cheap enough that you can build multi-day storage, or solar cheap enough you can build several times as what we normally need, we’ll need something that can generate regardless.

That’s the last hill that nuclear can stand on at this point. That and providing power on mars.

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: April 11, 2018, 02:00:18 PM »
The last few percent of decarbonization will demand some solution that, like nuclear plants, can provide power in the few days that intermittent sources can’t provide. Unless batteries get cheap enough that you can build multi-day storage, or solar cheap enough you can build several times as what we normally need, we’ll need something that can generate regardless.
[/quote]
I think the solution for this is hydro, which should be treated in the future more like a battery than a base-load. Including converting a lot of/some natural hydro to pumped-up.

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 602
  • Likes Given: 409
« Reply #594 on: April 11, 2018, 02:09:02 PM »
"You're both right. Gen IV is the only nuclear one should consider, but it's not so easy to get there, and the nuclear industry can't be trusted on its word."

Word!
"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: April 11, 2018, 02:58:11 PM »
Could backing a decommissioned nuclear sub or icebreaker up to the grid of a far northern town/city provide a reliable base load?
Terry

numerobis

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: April 11, 2018, 04:21:23 PM »
Only if you keep the sailors there to run the plant until they can teach their local replacements to be nuclear engineers.

Bob Wallace

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: April 11, 2018, 05:35:00 PM »
The last few percent of decarbonization will demand some solution that, like nuclear plants, can provide power in the few days that intermittent sources can’t provide.

That would be a terribly unaffordable solution. 

The cost of electricity = total annual costs / total electricity produced.

Nuclear is already expensive.  If Hinkley Point came online this year the starting price would be over $0.13/kWh.  And that assumes that the plant runs as much as possible, about 90% of the time.

If nuclear was used for the last 5% then those reactors would sit idle 95% of the time, decreasing electricity produced from 90% of nameplate to 5%.  That's a 18x difference and the electricity sold would cost $2.34/kWh (18 x $0.13).

Plus it takes far too long to start up a nuclear plant.  We don't know 3-4 days in advance that we'll need any of that "last 5%" generation.  That last bit of production needs to be available on relatively short notice.

The best options (for now) to provide the last bits are storage where large amounts of energy can be stored at low cost (pump-up hydro, CAES, hydrogen) or dispatchable generation (combined cycle plants run on biogas or thermal plants run on biomass).

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: April 11, 2018, 07:29:40 PM »
Can we all stand in agreement that the recently bankrupt Westinghouse and all of her subsidiaries should be de-certified?
Others may or may not be capable of building safe and reasonably economical nuclear facilities, but Westinghouse most certainly can not.
Terry

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
« Reply #599 on: April 11, 2018, 08:12:03 PM »
Continuing OT: various ocean current and tidal power options are being (or have been) developed for some reliable base load.  I'm no expert, but I'm sure the developers look forward to the equivalent of barnacle and seaweed repellant Teflon!
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"