Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: The 2014 Melting Season  (Read 1797344 times)

crandles

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 239
  • Likes Given: 81
Re: The 2014 Melting Season
« Reply #250 on: April 08, 2014, 12:23:40 PM »
I agree with quite a lot but ...

I think area and extent will have the same shape of curve as volume with a power law relationship like this:

That is at least a sensible way to get volume and area and extent down to 0 at the same time.

So volume seems the sensible quantity to talk about.

If maximum volume maintains a linear decent then I expect minimum volume to continue to accelerate downward. This is mainly because of open water formation efficiency, extra open water is formed which decreases albedo. Thinner ice also has lower albedo. I.e. the standard albedo feedback is largely acknowledged to be the most important feedback.

However I am less sure of maximum volume continuing linear decent let alone accelerating downward decent. Most of the volume loss has been reduction of MYI, i.e. old thick ice down to nearer thickness of FYI. This might reach a point where there isn't much more of this left to lose so that has to slow down. In addition to this there is also thinning of first year ice. This seems to be talked about but I don't see much hard data on this. If this thinning is significant, then I expect it to continue.

The main effects on FYI thickness would seem to be
GHG levels - fairly linear
upward ocean heat flux - at least linear
thinning ice causing warmer temperatures which in turn allow thinner ice

So I expect the volume loss at maximum through thinner FYI to remain as at least linear. However I am really not sure how large this is compared to loss of thick MYI, which we know is substantial. If the FYI thinning is small compared to MYI loss, then volume at maximum curve could well show deceleration. If the FYI thinning is tiny then the maximum volume curve might practically level off.

If maximum volume curve begins to level off then minimum curve might not continue its downward acceleration.

You say
"Maximum volume, though, will keep its downward acceleration for much longer, i guess."

Why do you guess that? Do you have some reason to believe FYI thinning is substantial? Why would this adequately compensate when MYI has been reducing rapidly towards FYI thickness and has got to start reducing its effect?

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
  • Don't Vote NatC or PopCon, Save Lives!
    • View Profile
    • The Arctic sea ice Great White Con
  • Liked: 894
  • Likes Given: 87
« Reply #251 on: April 08, 2014, 01:50:35 PM »
Further to a discussion over on the Arctic Sea Ice Blog, here's the state of play of the ice in the Laptev Sea today, together with the weather forecast according to CCI/GFS:

"The most revolutionary thing one can do always is to proclaim loudly what is happening" - Rosa Luxemburg

F.Tnioli

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 147
  • Likes Given: 38
« Reply #252 on: April 08, 2014, 01:58:24 PM »
IRT crandles:

We have already lost most of MYI. We were losing it at a rate -15% for extent (Journal of Climate, Fabruary 2012 issue, says it's -17.2% per decade for MYI _area_, - which is ice-only figure, excluding any open water). -17.2% for 3 decades (more like 3.5 decades, since 1979, but it was slower initially, i bet, so let's say 3 decades) - means we lost some 43.8% of MYI _area_ since 1979. However, the _mass_ loss of MYI is much greater, because remaining (so far) 56.2% of MYI - definitely became much thinner than it was in 1979. I'd say we lost more than 75% of MYI volume already, probably much more; it's obvious since the total annual minimum volume of sea ice in Arctic in 2012 was below 20% of 1979's figure.

So yes, i do have a substantial reason to believe winter FYI thinning will remain to be substantial for several decades ahead. I named those reasons in previous message just alright, but i can do it again:

reason #1 - warmer air and water entering Arctic (including during winter). It slows freezing, which results in FYI thinning through the winter,

reason #2 - accelerating rise of GHGs, both global and local. Mankind keeps to pump increasing amounts of CO2 into the athmosphere, - coal consumption is rapidly rising last few years, and it's the most CO2-intensive fossil fuel there is; China builds 2 new coal power stations every day; number of ICE (internal-combustion-engine - how ironic!) cars - still increases in accelerating manner; deforestation, desertification, and decreasing solubility of CO2 in water as temperatures rise - all those decrease CO2 sinks' efficiency, worldwide. Furthermore, personally, i do believe that methane situation in Arctic is being vastly underestimated by mainstream climatology. I do believe we'll see gigaton-scale methane emissions by the end of this decade, or in the 1st half of 2020s latest. Unless there is a super-volcano eruption or all-out nuclear exchange, either of which can put huge mass of sunlight-blocking ash and aerosols into stratosphere, thus causing multi-year "winter", with corresponding results in Arctic in particular. Hopefully those two kinds of disaster we'll avoid; but then, rising levels of GHG gases will trap more and more heat during autumn and winter in Arctic, resulting in slower temperature drop in Arctic (both athmosphere and thus also surface water), which results in thinning of FYI,

reason #3 - albedo loss, and also, thermal inertia. The process won't stop by the moment we'll lose (nearly) all late-summer sea ice in Arctic. It will go on, with still earlier and earlier melts in Arctic and subpolar regions, which means more and more sunlight absorbed, more and more heat content. Lots of this extra heat will remain in the system through autumn and winter every year, slowing or halting thickening of FYI "from below" (warmer water) as well as "from above" - later and less snowfall, higher athmosphere and snow initial temperature, etc.

The most dramatic days will be not when we'll have 1st year of (nearly) no sea ice in Arctic during late August / early September; this will be the sign the process is now completely unstoppable, yes, - but not the most important practicall change. Most important practical change will be when Arctic will have (nearly) no sea ice during June and July - maximum insolation during those months with little albedo to speak about will result in truly dramatic change for Arctic and massive change for the rest of the Northern hemisphere, as well. I expect it to happen some time in 2020s. And even then, the actual "arrival" of most dramatic climatic effects because of such a loss of sea ice during maximum insolation months (June, July) - won't be felt "instantly" once there's no ice (and thus no albedo to talk about) - because of thermal inertia.

Now, thermal inertia in etrms of whole Earth - is the fact that it takes decades (2...5 decades, estimates vary, see http://arxiv.org/pdf/1307.6821.pdf as an example) between any substantial increase of radiative forcing - and actual temperature rise. Mainly caused by huge thermal capacity of water and huge amount of water at and near Earth surface, this mechanic certainly applies to Arctic as well as to other parts of the globe. However, larger radiative forcing additions - which is the case due to Arctic amplification (and will also be further increased by gigaton-scale annual methane emissions in Arctic and subpolar regions, i dare say), - this larger _regional_ radiative forcing (annual, total) - will result in faster-than-global rate of temperature change, rate of ice thinning change, etc.

The example of lake Baikal in my previous post is excellent in several regards, one of which is ice thickness. You see, Baikal is large enough to have storms and large waves (up to 5 meters high waves in storms), much like an ocean or a sea, and insolation pattern of Baikal region is quite similar to Arctic's. It gets very little sunlight during winter - sun is above horizon for a few hours only, and it's very low, so much of sunlight is absorbed by the athmosphere before even reaching the ice. Most of what remains of sunlight - gets reflected, too. Baikal's climate is much "sea climate", too. Yet, maximum FYI thickness (all ice in Baikal is FYI, of course), - is nearly 1 meter, and even less than that if it's a snowy winter in there (can be as low as 70 centimeters). In compare, typical maximum annual thickness of FYI in Arctic - is some 3 meters, give or take.

So yes, i expect this "3 meters give or take" - in Arctic, - to become much more like Baikal's "1 meter, give or take" in about 30...40 years, and go even thinner (slowly) in further decades after that. The extent and area of maximum Arctic sea ice cover may well nearly stabilize times faster (may be in some 10...15 years), - yet substantial FYI thinning will go on for at least 5 decades, me thinks. With time, relative equilibrium between "really warm water below despite it's being during winter in Arctic", on one hand, and "very chilling athmosphre above" (which even with global warming would still be there during winter, because of polar night) on the other hand - will be achieved, with ice thickness (consideing probably lots of snow above) being some 30...50 centimeters for most of winter Arctic sea ice area by the year 2100... And most/all of Arctic, by 2100, will probably be much like Baikal in terms of no-ice months: June to December will be (nearly or even completely) sea-ice-free.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 02:17:49 PM by F.Tnioli »
To everyone: before posting in a melting season topic, please be sure to know contents of this moderator's post: https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php/topic,3017.msg261893.html#msg261893 . Thanks!

crandles

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: April 08, 2014, 03:01:32 PM »
 F.Tnioli we agree on a lot of facts and causes, we may have to agree to disagree on the implications.

We certainly agree we have already lost most of the MYI.

http://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/files/2014/04/Figure5.png
show a low point in 3+ year ice in 2011 and each year since 2011 the maximum volume has been higher. I do expect max volume to at least slowly decline, but I don't see anything in your response that rules out a high rate of decline in max volume to 2011 because of the depletion of MYI and only slower decline after 2011 because the MYI has run low.

You say "typical maximum annual thickness of FYI in Arctic - is some 3 meters, give or take. "

I don't know where you get this from. I frequently see information suggesting maximum first year ice thickness of 2m or maybe 1.8m. Maslanik et al 2007 gives provides a figure where average for FYI is about 1.45m. These seem rather approximate figures and what I don't see is anyone giving a trend for FYI thickness over time.

Maybe I am wrong and it is substantial, but without evidence, I am inclined to think that maybe the trend is small, perhaps too difficult to provide trend figures because of variability. In this case future volume at maximum might decline at a slow rate and the fast rate prior to 2011 is mainly MYI thinning to FYI thickness.

Because Baikal varies from 70cm to 1m doesn't mean that we can't have some FYI in the arctic near edges at less than 50cm, some further in at 70cm to 1m and some further in again with thickness going up to about 1.8m. What is needed is the trend in FYI thickness over time and I haven't seen you or anyone else provide such a trend figure.

I don't think the FYI thinning is negligible because it is talked about. However I don't see that you have shown the the MYI thinning prior to 2011 is small relative to FYI thinning.

Perhaps we should just agree to differ rather than keep repeating our own points?

SCYetti

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #254 on: April 08, 2014, 04:20:03 PM »
F.Tnioli
I am in almost complete agreement with your post. We are on a downward slope and the further we go the faster we go.

I disagree with your using a fresh water lake as an analogy for the Arctic Ocean however. Salt water behaves differently when freezing than fresh water. As fresh water cools and freezes it reaches its maximum density at about 4 degrees C. So the bottom of a freshwater lake in winter is warmer than the top. Salt water continues to gain density until it actually freezes at about -2 C. So ice can form on a lake with water temperature at the bottom being  +4C. In the Arctic the entire upper level of the halocline must be -2C for ice to form (theoretically. Water could cool and freeze faster than it could sink.)

A better comparison could be the Sea of Okhotsk or the Hudson Bay.

crandles

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: April 08, 2014, 06:02:36 PM »
Volume April 1979 by PIOMAS ~ 33 K Km^3
Area April 1979 14 M Km^2
So Average thickness 2.36m

Volume April 2014 by PIOMAS ~ 23 K Km^3
Area April 2014 ~ 13M Km^2
So Average thickness 1.77m

How FYI could have been 3m thick when MYI is thicker than FYI escapes me.

http://www.arcticnet.ulaval.ca/pdf/ASMtalks/StudentDay/Galley.pdf
on page 7 says
first-year sea ice can grow to typical
depths of ~1.80m in the Arctic

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: April 08, 2014, 07:04:18 PM »

It escapes me too. As already discussed above, Barneo seems to be sat on a floe around 1.4m thick at the moment. IMB 2013F is sitting on second year ice in the Beaufort that is currently thinner than the 1.8m you just quoted for FYI. IMB 2013G is on MYI 2.64m thick
"The most revolutionary thing one can do always is to proclaim loudly what is happening" - Rosa Luxemburg

jdallen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 651
  • Likes Given: 244
« Reply #257 on: April 08, 2014, 08:28:42 PM »
Crandles - volume is the key, and F Tinoli, I think it embodies the thermal inertia - buffering - you allude to.

As raised by others, what is of considerable question, is how thickness is distributed, and what that implies regarding the buffer available to soak up summer heat.  Here, I'm with Jim Hunt and others; I'm not so sure we have as much buffer as we think.  The relief of supposedly thicker ice may be illusory as well, because it is asymmetrically distributed.  I think we almost certainly will end up with a shattered patchwork, as thinner ice formed in leads, never able to thicken adequately due to warmth, disappears. That is a poor recipe for retention.
This space for Rent.

lanevn

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: April 08, 2014, 08:54:44 PM »
Popular now shale gas can be more AGW friendly than even coal, because significant part of it just escaping to atmosfere during fracture. Looks like no real research about this, but there were some videos with flaming water and etc.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 49
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #259 on: April 08, 2014, 09:11:50 PM »
<<Looks like no real research about this, but there were some videos with flaming water and etc.>>

Actually.....there has been some research on that.  I know that some folks from Duke University did some research on that, and found that once you include the "leakage".......that drilling for nat gas is as bad or worse than most coal fired plants.  That was a couple years ago......and I'll bet there has been additional research since.  I'll see if I can find the links and then post....
FOX (RT) News....."The Trump Channel.....where truth and journalism are dead."

RaenorShine

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: April 08, 2014, 09:20:52 PM »
Radio ecoshock had a piece on Methane leaks from the gas system as a whole a couple of weeks ago. http://www.ecoshock.info/2014/03/the-center-sees-edge-methane-science.html.

He interviewed Dr. Adam R. Brandt whose paper "Methane Leaks from North American Natural Gas Systems" was published in the February 14th edition of the journal "Science".http://www.sciencemag.org/content/343/6172/733.summary (paywalled)

The interview covered a lot of the detail though.

Bob Wallace

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 41
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #261 on: April 09, 2014, 07:14:37 AM »
We have one study of NG wells which found that for the wells studied, leakage was well controlled and escape into the atmosphere was minimal.  That does not mean that all wells are the same, but it suggests that will proper regulation and enforcement well leakage could be held at a low amount.

Leakage is bad in our old urban distribution systems.  Gas for our stoves, furnaces, water heaters.  Here's an area of Boston.

And you should remember the people killed and houses destroyed in California a couple years back as well as the more recent deaths and building destruction in Washington, D.C.

Whether we use NG for electricity production or not, we need to address distribution leaks.

We might not gain much by a 1:1 replacement with coal by NG.  But that's not the role NG needs to play.  Right now NG is a workable fill-in for wind and solar.  We need dispatchable generation while we work out better storage solutions.

In windy areas such as the US Midwest the wind blows a lot of hours.  Not sometimes, but at significant strength more than 75% of the time.  And the Sun shines right during the part of the day when demand is highest.  It's conceivable that we could get 40+% of our electricity directly from wind farms, 30% direct from solar panels.

If that's the case then natural gas's role would be to provide the " other <30%".  We would shut down a coal plant and replace it with only 30% NG, not 100% NG.

icefest

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #262 on: April 09, 2014, 07:41:34 AM »
There's also the mean atmospheric lifetime of methane, which is much lower than that of CO2.

Even if methane has ~34 time the GHG potential, the short lifetime (IMO) makes it a less significant pollutant.

So a NG shift from coal results in less long term GHG emissions.
Open other end.

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 602
  • Likes Given: 409
« Reply #263 on: April 09, 2014, 07:55:40 AM »
Ice, that figure of ~34 x the global warming potential of CO2 already takes into account the short life time of methane in the atmosphere, since it is for its GWP over century time scales. Bring the times scale down to the decade level, and the GWP rises to over 100.

I still think we should mover rapidly away from coal, but we shouldn't pretend methane is any kind of godsend wrt gw. Especially given all the direct leakage of methane to the atmosphere that fracking seems to entail.
"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

jdallen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: April 09, 2014, 08:30:20 AM »
The hell with the effect of activism on opinion or directives by whatever government.  The physics is what it is.  You may wafflle all you wish. The environmental conditions will still be there.

(to those who have political gravis who may or may not be watching)
You've seen the facts.  What the hell are you going to do to address the problem?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 09:14:33 AM by jdallen »
This space for Rent.

icefest

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #265 on: April 09, 2014, 09:25:43 AM »
Thanks for mentioning that wili, I went and read this and think I understand it better.

I agree that Methane is bad. Much worse in the short term as far as AGW goes.

The only salvation is that due to the short life time, CH4 forcing will drop shortly after emissions decrease. I hope that this transient rise in AGW will increase the change in energy generation.

Relevant to the thread topic:
A transient spike in forcing and AGW, as long as the GIS and WAIS do not collapse; is much easier overcome than the centuries of forcing related to the release of CO2.

Open other end.

F.Tnioli

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: April 09, 2014, 10:54:48 AM »
Volume April 1979 by PIOMAS ~ 33 K Km^3
Area April 1979 14 M Km^2
So Average thickness 2.36m

Volume April 2014 by PIOMAS ~ 23 K Km^3
Area April 2014 ~ 13M Km^2
So Average thickness 1.77m

http://www.arcticnet.ulaval.ca/pdf/ASMtalks/StudentDay/Galley.pdf
on page 7 says
first-year sea ice can grow to typical
depths of ~1.80m in the Arctic
Typical 1.80, yes. Did i say "typical"? No. I said "maximum" FYI thickness. "Maximum" and "typical" - are two different things. "Average" is also not "maximum". Perhaps you thought i meant "maximum average thickness" in terms of maximum annual value of the avreage FYI thickness? I didn't. I meant absolute maximum thickness of FYI "in some spot" - i.e. "how thick FYI can get in a single place".

As for where i get it from - why, looking at graphs here and there, i love those color-coded maps. It's much faster than to dig into mountains of discrete data, too. For example, one can see clear map for where FYI (and MYI) was located during MArch 2013 here: figure 5 on https://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/tag/first-year-ice/ page. According to it, there was no MYI to talk about near north shores of Alaska and Chukotka. Very conviniently, figure 6 of the same page presents ice thickness map (also color-coded), for March 2012 (right image of the figure 6). It is made based on Cryosat-2 data - which means it's not some smarty-pants model, but actual "what was there in reality" measurement. And on it, i can definitely see some green color (means, ~3 meters thick ice) near north shores of Alaska and Chukotka - considering the scale of those images, we are talking here about thousands of square kilometers of such ice. There are even few small patches of almost-yellow - which means it's hundreds square kilometers of ~3.5-meter-thick FYI there.

Why those locations get maximum FYI thickness - i don't know for sure, probably a combination of relatively cold near-surfgace water currents and extra-chill of the athmosphere from much-more-rapidly cooling large landmass nearby (Alaska and Chukotka, i mean). Still, it's very easy to see that maximum thickness of FYI is indeed ~3 meters, give or take; while typical FYI thickness is, indeed, some 1.8 meters.

There's also the mean atmospheric lifetime of methane, which is much lower than that of CO2.

Even if methane has ~34 time the GHG potential, the short lifetime (IMO) makes it a less significant pollutant. ...
I'd add to previous reply to this that i've recently estimated methane's greenhouse-effect CO2 equivalent ratio (by mass) for a duration which is many times shorter than methane's half-life (which is 1 year or any shorter duration), using two different methods (quite rude, but simple ones) to do so. 1st method gave me x124. Second gave me x131. This is close to results many other people get - including most competent scientists, - for short-term methane GHG potency.

Also, methane can't be "less significant pollutant" than CO2 - EVER, because in the athmosphere, methane (CH4) gradually turns into carbon dioxide (CO2) and water vapour (H2O). For every CH4 molecula, one CO2 molecula is formed. Thus, methane _becomes_ CO2, with 1 to 1 ratio - and CO2 can't be "less significant pollutant" than CO2, can it? On top of CO2, said reaction also forms 2 moleculas of water, and water vapour is a strong GHG gas as well.

The only salvation is that due to the short life time, CH4 forcing will drop shortly after emissions decrease. I hope that this transient rise in AGW will increase the change in energy generation.

Relevant to the thread topic:
A transient spike in forcing and AGW, as long as the GIS and WAIS do not collapse; is much easier overcome than the centuries of forcing related to the release of CO2.
Unfortunately, methane deposits (in the form of gas and in the form of methane clathrates), plus organic until-now-permafrost soils and seabed layers which emit large amounts of methane once thawed (due to bacterial unaerobic decomposition of organic compounds), - all this in total, in Arctic alone (not talking sub-polar, not talking deep-ocean deposits even closer to equator, and not talking any southern hemisphere) - is estimated to be more than 10 thousands gigatons. ESAS alone contains some ~1400 gigatons of methane, and it's burping much already. Some places near Norway are also emitting methane massively already. AMEG says it was more than 100 millons tons of methane emitted in 2013 in Arctic. I.e., 0.1+ gigaton. Annual emissions back in 1980 were, iirc, some 7 millions tons or something like that.

In other words, there are LOTS of methane presently frozen or trapped under frozen soil and sea floor - more than 10.000.000.000.000 tons of it. What methane Arctic emits so far, - is only a tiny fraction of what will be emitted annually once Arctic warms up for real (i.e., loses most of its June'July ice and snow, this most of its albedo during those high-insolation months).

You said: "after emissions decrease". Well. Bad news are, methane emissions in Arctic won't start to decrease for at very least ~120 years from now. May be times longer, even. By 2025, i think Arctic will release some ~1.5 gigatons of methane annually, plus-minus 70% of that. By 2050, may be some 2.5...5 gigatons. By 2100, perhaps some 4...20 gigatons. Yet, if this will be the pace, - then during 21st century, Arctic will release only some 500 gigatons of methane, total (something of this order of magnitude, i mean). Yet, 500 gigatons - is less than 5% of the total amount (which is, again, more than 10,000 gigatons - probably much more). So even if most of potentially releasable (because of disappearance of permafrosts)  methane will remain in the ground for CENTURIES, - the lesser part is still enough to maintain 1+ gigaton annual Arctic methane emissions for several hundreds years.

It a major deal for whole planet; for Arctic itself - it's enourmous, since being point of origin, it'll naturally have higher concentration of methane. It already does, substantially.

Therefore, "after emissions decrease" = "some 500+ years in the future". Frankly, i don't think it's any kind of "salvation" to the current AGW situation... And, both GIS and WAIS will probably collapse in 500 years (i know old papers say it's "thousands years" for WAIS - but old papers have many massive underestimates, besides, who knew, back in 1990s and 1970s, that last two decades - to nowadays, - will be most feverish GHG emissions ever done). Some chances are WAIS wouldn't fully collapse in 500 years, - but GIS will definitely collapse, and much faster than in 500 years, too. No doubt about it.

P.S. By the way, there are some 50,000+ people permanently living in Greenland. It's a country. They have a capital city (more like, a town). In it, they had nice little bridge over a river - two dozens meters or so. They "had" it, because at some point few years ago, the bridge was washed away. Literally. Too much meltwater going outta GIS. They probably rebuilt the bridge, for now, since it connects two "halves" of the town - much needed bridge, important one. But i think, in about 15 years, this whole capital town of Greenland will be washed away right into the ocean - sooner or later, they'll get large enough melt pulse (it's when large mass of water trapped inside ice sheet - finds an exit "down and out"). By the way, i believe that this is the type of event which, during last ice age's end (deglaciation), caused lots of death - and gave humans survivavors strong memories about "great flood", which eventually ended up written down in several religions (among others, in the Bible, too).
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 12:01:53 PM by F.Tnioli »
To everyone: before posting in a melting season topic, please be sure to know contents of this moderator's post: https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php/topic,3017.msg261893.html#msg261893 . Thanks!

crandles

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: April 09, 2014, 11:33:46 AM »
Thank you for the reply to where you got the 3m from. I note that green colours run from about 2.5m to 3.5m and there is even a spot or two of yellow. Also the area is against land so the ice is likely deformed to get up to that thickness.

When talking about growth of first year ice, I was talking about thermodynamic growth rather than growth by deformation and I should have made that clearer, sorry. For thermodynamic growth, I am sticking to Maslanik et al 2007 average thickness of 1.45m which I believe includes a lot up to 1.8m maybe even 2m according to many sources as well as a lot of thinner ice around the edge of the pack. If that seems strangely limited not far above the average, it is because of there being an equilibrium thermodynamic thickness so that thermodynamic growth stops as it reaches that thickness. I suppose you could have an area of thicker undeformed ice if the upward heat flux was unusually low. That happens to be an area that gets quite warm with pacific water not far below the ice so I wouldn't expect low upward heat flux there.

F.Tnioli

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: April 09, 2014, 12:13:38 PM »
May be you're right. I thought about deformation, too, long story short, i think much or all of yellow there - might be it, and some of green, too, - but not most of green. Perhaps i am wrong, though. Even then, the initial point stands. Be it 3m or 2m for "how thick Arctic FYI can grow by itself", - it'll still go down to (eventually) much less than 1 meter.

Oh, and also, about the fact that Baikal - is fresh water. Why, sure it is. Means it freezes _easier_. And faster. Than Arctic during same conditions, i mean. As for "fresh water has a peak density at 4 degrees celsius, but sea water does not" - practically irrelevant, i believe; like i said, i think that ice formation in Arctic starts with snow (which falls into the ocean, initially melts, forms a layer of low-salinity water and cools down the surface quickly, and as more snow arrives, ice "skin" starts to form). Thing is, fresh water is lighter (less dense) than sea water. I don't remember any numbers right now, but iirc, even half of salinity difference between typical sea water and fresh water - causes more density difference then any water temperature difference in the range of -2...6C would. This means that even relatively warm sea water (some 6+ degrees celsius) - is still heavier than 0 degrees celcius fresh water. Now just imagine what will happen with a single snowflake landing into Arctic sea water during some November, then imagine few gazillions of similar snowflakes landing nearby - you'll get the picture.

... If that seems strangely limited not far above the average, it is because of there being an equilibrium thermodynamic thickness so that thermodynamic growth stops as it reaches that thickness. I suppose you could have an area of thicker undeformed ice if the upward heat flux was unusually low. That happens to be an area that gets quite warm with pacific water not far below the ice so I wouldn't expect low upward heat flux there.
No, doesn't seem strange. I meant exactly this equilibrium, too. As waters get warmer (especially after the start of gigaton-scale (annual) methane releases, and also as a result of "giving up" thermal inertia - one enhances the other) - upward heat flux will increase in all locations (some faster, some other slower). Minimum winter athmosphere temperatures will rise, as well, reducing "cooling from above". Also, growth - in permanent conditions, - never completely "stops"; it slows down dramatically, yes, but never completely stops. It'd take infinite number of years - again, if to consider permanent conditions - for it to stop. Which means, length of freezing season is also a factor. And this length will be shortening; already is, significantly.

And about "quite warm with pacific water not far below the ice" - i see, yes, this is major factor. However, if your own statement about most/all of this green/yellow being deformed ice - is true, - then it means lots of ice is pushed into the region from central Arctic. And most of this ice is substantially colder than -2 degrees celsius for most of the freezing season time. If so much of it arrives into the region, then it has massive impact to temperatures of water _directly_ behind the ice, i think. Thus reducing said heat flux, i guess. But then it'd allow "not deformed" ice "downstream" to grow faster/thicker, you see?

Whole thing is damn interconnected, too much, for sure. Still, no use to try to understand simplifications if resulting udnerstanding gives much different (to reality) behaviour of a model (even if it's only "how i think it happens", thought-only "model"). Hope you see what i mean here.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 12:41:16 PM by F.Tnioli »

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: April 09, 2014, 01:51:50 PM »
@All - Any chance we can keep this thread at least loosely on the topic of "The 2014 Melting Season"? There's any number of other places on here to discuss things like methane, fracking etc.

@F.Tnioli - Regarding all the colour coded maps, they don't agree with each other and the CryoSat 2 numbers are also the output of a different sort of mathematical model. At the recent Sea Ice Prediction Network meeting when the question of assimilating satellite thickness data into the sea ice models was raised the opinion expressed was along the lines of "CryoSat 2 is still a work in progress".

F.Tnioli

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: April 09, 2014, 03:26:35 PM »
@F.Tnioli - Regarding all the colour coded maps, they don't agree with each other and the CryoSat 2 numbers are also the output of a different sort of mathematical model. At the recent Sea Ice Prediction Network meeting when the question of assimilating satellite thickness data into the sea ice models was raised the opinion expressed was along the lines of "CryoSat 2 is still a work in progress".
CryoSat 2 numbers (for sea ice thickness) - are not any sort of output of any mathematical model. Instead, they are the output of SAR/Interferometric Radar Altimeters onboard the satellite, each of the two of those altimeters is able to track changes in the thickness of the ice with a resolution of about 1.3 centimetres. Radar interferometry is, of course, a thing done with mathematics, but i wouldn't call it a "model" for a simple reason: it is possible to calibrate those instruments using in-situ (submarine-based, etc) data for ice thickness.

In the same time, i readily believe the last sentense of the quote. Indeed, _assimilating_ satellite thickness data into _sea ice models_ - is not an easy task, and quite possibly not only a work in progress, but a work which won't be possible to complete in a satisfying manner. Yet, i don't think it is sattelites which are the problem; rather, i think it is models which is the problem. Because, you see, i'd rather believe that complex computer model of Earth climate (or at least, Arctic) - is substantially wrong, than to believe that relatively simple thing - radar interferometry, - is wrong.

The argument "color maps disagree with each other" - sure, there are lots of badly made ones, partially or mostly incorrect ones, etc. The one i gave as an example, however, is done using cutting-edge satellite (cryosat-2), and published not by some blogger, but by National Snow and Ice Data Center. And if my memory serves, this bunch has a reputation for knowing what they are doing. At least, relatively to most other similar scientific bodies.

Wipneus

• Citizen scientist
  • Young ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctische Pinguin
  • Liked: 1025
« Reply #271 on: April 09, 2014, 03:48:18 PM »
CryoSat 2 numbers (for sea ice thickness) - are not any sort of output of any mathematical model. Instead, they are the output of SAR/Interferometric Radar Altimeters onboard the satellite, each of the two of those altimeters is able to track changes in the thickness of the ice with a resolution of about 1.3 centimetres.

No what is measured is free board. Calculating thickness from free board means values of snow thickness,  snow density and ice density needs to be known.
There are severe doubts about how accurate these are known, for snow a climatic value is used, for ice density you need to know the ice type.
See also the Piomas vs Cryosat thread for the uncertainty in the mathematical model used to calculate the free board that you so easily take for granted : https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php/topic,8.msg19424.html#msg19424

Pmt111500

« Reply #272 on: April 09, 2014, 04:21:29 PM »
@All - Any chance we can keep this thread at least loosely on the topic of "The 2014 Melting Season"? There's any number of other places on here to discuss things like methane, fracking etc.

April is the month where seemingly nothing special happens wrt area or extent. at least looking at CT SIA numbers the speed of ice loss hasn't increased one bit in the 34 years. If 2014 follows the pattern of 4 past years (2010-2014) the earliest larger deviations from the climatological normal could be seen on the last week of May, so if some newcomer is after news regarding the ice loss in the Arctic then the beginning of June might be the time to revisit here. In the following image I've smoothed the daily deviations, so if you don't get a similar image that's the reason. The x-axis is divided to lunar weeks, so the color codes are not accurate representations of Gregorian months. If the past is any clue, there's a period of 5 weeks until nothing significant starts to happen. In fact I might take a vacation from here too until then.

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: April 09, 2014, 05:07:32 PM »
If the past is any clue, there's a period of 5 weeks until nothing significant starts to happen. In fact I might take a vacation from here too until then.

Well it's currently somewhere around zero degrees in Tiksi, which I figure is not insignificant! Here's a view of the Laptev Sea from on high earlier today:

Pmt111500

« Reply #274 on: April 09, 2014, 05:57:22 PM »

Well it's currently somewhere around zero degrees in Tiksi, which I figure is not insignificant!

Well that could be early, but daily averages are still almost -10C. +7,5 degree anomaly it looks like.
http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/map/images/rnl/sfctmpmer_01.rnl.gif
http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/map/images/rnl/sfctmpmer_01a.rnl.gif

There's still time for "Arctic Ocean-effect snow" to cover the High North in many feet
of snow.

helorime

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #275 on: April 09, 2014, 06:35:04 PM »
It's 12 in Pevek, but -17 in Cape Lisburne.  Pevek is farther north and not that far away, but it is in Russia not Alaska. The whole Asian side has been running hot and the America side running cold.  Why is that?

http://www.athropolis.com/map2.htm

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

helorime

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: April 09, 2014, 06:38:35 PM »
It is 26 in Khatanga.... that's 79 F! And it is farther north than Barrow.

wanderer

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: April 09, 2014, 06:53:54 PM »

Siffy

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: April 09, 2014, 06:54:26 PM »
It is 26 in Khatanga.... that's 79 F! And it is farther north than Barrow.

That figure is listed from  Jul 19, 2013 3:00 PM

Unless I'm much mistaken it's around -1c right now in Khatanga. Roughly 30ish fahrenheit

helorime

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: April 09, 2014, 09:15:12 PM »
Oho!  No WONDER it looked so weird.  I totally missed the "Weather report as of -13667 minutes ago (07:00 UTC):"

:-[

Frivolousz21

• Nilas ice
  • Live in Belleville, IL..15 miles SE of St. Louis.
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 598
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #280 on: April 10, 2014, 12:13:25 AM »
Northern Hemisphere snow cover is falling apart faster and faster.

The last two days have seen major losses on both sides.

Huge losses are coming to SE Russia the next 5 days.

Then Western Russia gets super torched.

This is from yesterday:

Still to come:

I got a nickname for all my guns
a Desert Eagle that I call Big Pun
a two shot that I call Tupac
and a dirty pistol that love to crew hop
my TEC 9 Imma call T-Pain
my 3-8 snub Imma call Lil Wayne
machine gun named Missy so loud
it go e-e-e-e-ow e-e-e-e-e-e-blaow

Frivolousz21

• Nilas ice
  • Live in Belleville, IL..15 miles SE of St. Louis.
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 598
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #281 on: April 10, 2014, 12:46:40 AM »
Loo at the Indian and Tropical Atlantics.

I got a nickname for all my guns
a Desert Eagle that I call Big Pun
a two shot that I call Tupac
and a dirty pistol that love to crew hop
my TEC 9 Imma call T-Pain
my 3-8 snub Imma call Lil Wayne
machine gun named Missy so loud
it go e-e-e-e-ow e-e-e-e-e-e-blaow

F.Tnioli

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: April 10, 2014, 08:11:11 AM »
No what is measured is free board. Calculating thickness from free board means values of snow thickness,  snow density and ice density needs to be known.
There are severe doubts about how accurate these are known, for snow a climatic value is used, for ice density you need to know the ice type.
See also the Piomas vs Cryosat thread for the uncertainty in the mathematical model used to calculate the free board that you so easily take for granted : https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php/topic,8.msg19424.html#msg19424
Thank you for this info. I didn't know. After all, they say it's ice which is measured. Sigh. Anyhows, this is still massively simpler thing than any fully coupled model, isn't it. Thus my previous logic still stands (to a lesser degree) - if "models" meant were fully-coupled (or comparable in complexity) models, that is.

On the other hand, if even cryosat-2 can't give us any reliable ice thickness for (most of) the Arctic - then what can? Without full picture, maximum thickness as well as any precise average thickness - can't be known, i guess. So it's not like we get any better source, right?

One other thing is about how this all relates to the melt season (including this one). I know that some significant portion of the melt season has most of Arctic ice still present, while the snow is already gone. Did anyone try to find out when and how this happens, and apply Cryosat-2 numbers to such an occasion? Without snow, and with knowing density of the ice relatively well (i mean, it can't vary by any huge amount, can it?) - Cryosat-2 numbers can be very interesting thing to look at, eh.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 08:18:01 AM by F.Tnioli »

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: April 10, 2014, 11:05:53 AM »
On the other hand, if even cryosat-2 can't give us any reliable ice thickness for (most of) the Arctic - then what can?

There is of course Operation IceBridge.

Failing that, here's the best that I can come up with in a hurry, although additional suggestions are always welcome:

http://GreatWhiteCon.info/resources/arctic-sea-ice-graphs/

Wipneus

• Citizen scientist
  • Young ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctische Pinguin
  • Liked: 1025
« Reply #284 on: April 10, 2014, 02:12:14 PM »

Thank you for this info. I didn't know. After all, they say it's ice which is measured. Sigh. Anyhows, this is still massively simpler thing than any fully coupled model, isn't it. Thus my previous logic still stands (to a lesser degree) - if "models" meant were fully-coupled (or comparable in complexity) models, that is.

Well, no. There may be or not be a massive amount of modeling in creating the crysosat or piomas data. Piomas is not a free running simulation, the "a" stands for assimilation of real world measurements. What matters is the uncertainties in the results, and the scientist do make efforts to specify and if possible minimize the errors. (That involves even more calculations and measurements).

maximum thickness as well as any precise average thickness - can't be known, i guess. So it's not like we get any better source, right?

"precise" is an imprecise term, nothing is fully precise and everything is know with some precision. Of course by direct measurements (in situ, buoys, submarines) we can have some independ data, to which the cryosat and piomas values can be compared with. See the piomas website for the "uncertainties".

One other thing is about how this all relates to the melt season (including this one). I know that some significant portion of the melt season has most of Arctic ice still present, while the snow is already gone. Did anyone try to find out when and how this happens, and apply Cryosat-2 numbers to such an occasion? Without snow, and with knowing density of the ice relatively well (i mean, it can't vary by any huge amount, can it?) - Cryosat-2 numbers can be very interesting thing to look at, eh.

Alas, the cryosat does not work in the melting season (requires dry ice/snow). No data at all. Same for SMOS, it is a big problem that most we know of volume in the melting season is from piomas.

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: April 10, 2014, 10:13:20 PM »
Ice mass balance buoy 2014D, located off Northern Greenland, has now started reporting top and bottom sounder readings. They currently state:

Snow depth : 34 cm
Ice thickness : 336 cm

crandles

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: April 10, 2014, 10:20:50 PM »
Ice mass balance buoy 2014D, located off Northern Greenland, has now started reporting top and bottom sounder readings. They currently state:

Pos: 84.00 N, 38.21 W
Initial Location: Beaufort Sea

Beaufort Sea ??

Nightvid Cole

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #287 on: April 10, 2014, 11:48:08 PM »

Pos: 84.00 N, 38.21 W
Initial Location: Beaufort Sea

Beaufort Sea ??

Obviously a mistake...

Hubert

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: April 11, 2014, 12:00:19 AM »
Not bad result. It is not so bad. Unless...

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: April 11, 2014, 12:17:28 AM »
Beaufort Sea ??

A misprint. The thermistor readings seem be back to front at present also!

Jmo

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: April 11, 2014, 02:38:49 AM »
I've not seen this surface wind map before.  Very useful. Severe TC Ita off NE Australia looks impressive, so too the lows over Siberia and SE Greenland...

http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-290.58,87.17,1137

F.Tnioli

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: April 11, 2014, 10:28:18 AM »
Alas, the cryosat does not work in the melting season (requires dry ice/snow). No data at all. Same for SMOS, it is a big problem that most we know of volume in the melting season is from piomas.
"Requires"?

According to https://earth.esa.int/web/guest/missions/esa-operational-eo-missions/envisat/instruments/ra-2/design , the frequency 13.575GHz (which is used for radar altimetry instruments of the Cryosat-2 (afaict), too) - is indeed affected by H2O in the athmosphere; however, it says, quote, "The effect of water vapour is smaller than oxygen, but much more variable. It can range from virtually zero over the high, dry ice caps, to about 40 cm in tropical regions". Arctic is not a tropical region, too. And all the sea ice is very near sea level, too - no "high caps" at all. So it is way less than 0.4m possible difference between "most dry" and "most wet" in Arctic, i guess.

Furthermore, the same page mentions using forecasts for the extraction of water vapour signature. If it's a method worth mentioning, then it gotta be at least somewhat effective.

Last but not least, even if high humidity brings unacceptable error in terms of comparing thickness from different months, - then still, most of this uncertainty is gone if the data is only used to compare thickness from the same single month (or even shorter particular period of a year) collected during several / many years. Assuming same months being on average similar in terms of amount of water vapour in the Arctic. I.e., comparing "wet" periods only with other "wet" periods, if to talk most imprecisely.

I'd rather suspect that the collaboration itself is not willing to release any data for melting periods. Reasons may be many, possibly including pressure (or worse) from AGW-di$mi$$ing entities.

Only IMHO, of course. And i definitely hope the last bit is wrong, too.

P.S. _If_ "precise" is not any precise for real, then also, "imprecise" is not any imprecise: inversion is a both-way symmetric operation all around the math and logic, isn't it. Therefore, when you said ""precise" is an imprecise term"", - you made a nil statement. Doesn't mean a thing. But yet, somehow i feel i get what you mean, and i agree with you there, per se; though i didn't mean this sort of precision you talk about - the absolute sort. I definitely was not expecting (nor will be expecting) to see thickness average values with a gazillion meaningful digits after the decimal, hehehe... :D
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 11:04:07 AM by F.Tnioli »

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: April 11, 2014, 11:22:21 AM »

DoomInTheUK

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: April 11, 2014, 11:29:47 AM »
P.S. _If_ "precise" is not any precise for real, then also, "imprecise" is not any imprecise: inversion is a both-way symmetric operation all around the math and logic, isn't it. Therefore, when you said ""precise" is an imprecise term"", - you made a nil statement.

Sorry FT, I couldn't let this one go.

You are implying that because A is not equal to B then B is not equal to B. It's not an inversion, it's a sub-set. Be careful how you extrapolate logical statements.

Phil.

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 76
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #294 on: April 11, 2014, 12:37:35 PM »
"Requires"?

According to https://earth.esa.int/web/guest/missions/esa-operational-eo-missions/envisat/instruments/ra-2/design , the frequency 13.575GHz (which is used for radar altimetry instruments of the Cryosat-2 (afaict), too) - is indeed affected by H2O in the athmosphere; however, it says, quote, "The effect of water vapour is smaller than oxygen, but much more variable. It can range from virtually zero over the high, dry ice caps, to about 40 cm in tropical regions". Arctic is not a tropical region, too. And all the sea ice is very near sea level, too - no "high caps" at all. So it is way less than 0.4m possible difference between "most dry" and "most wet" in Arctic, i guess.

It's the liquid water on the surface which is the problem not the water vapor.

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: April 11, 2014, 01:09:48 PM »
I've written a script to "logically invert" the raw thermistor readings from IMB 2014D. Here's the resulting Google Maps/Earth output and initial temperature profile:

BornFromTheVoid

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 679
  • Likes Given: 299
« Reply #296 on: April 11, 2014, 04:00:28 PM »
As far as extent and area go, we've had a fairly benign start to the melt season. One very notable feature has been the strong dipole anomaly and very strong winds aiding the transpolar drift, blowing right from the Bering sea down through to Svalbard.

As expected at this time of year, the dipole has reduced the level of extent loss by increasing the ice levels in the Barents and Greenland sea, but has also helped to export more of the thicker ice, potentially leaving the pack vulnerable to later warmth.

Looking at the next 5 days, things look quite interesting, with a continuation of the general dipole pattern, a rather powerful storm during the weekend and the potential for some strong melt over the Kara and Bering sea into next week.

First off, the weekend storm.
It's already forming now, by the New Siberian Islands on the image below

It reaches it's peak intensity early tomorrow, with a central pressure below 960hPa as it moves toward the central Arctic.

It remains quite strong into Sunday. All the while, high pressure over the Canadian Archipelago and Beaufort means very strong winds blowing toward Fram, giving the export an added boost.

This storm is unlikely to causes too much noticeable disruption to the pack at this time of year, but it is something to keep an eye on.
Shortly after, some anomalously mild air makes its way into the Bering strait region, with 850hPa values just below 0C and well above average.

After that, things fail to cool down much around the Bering Stait/Beaufort region, remaining relatively mild with increasingly slack or southerly winds, while several bouts of mild and stormy southerlies hit the Kara/Barents regions. The pattern below repeating itself during the week

Anyway, nothing truly exceptional coming up, but plenty of interest nonetheless.
I recently joined the twitter thing, where I post more analysis, pics and animations: @Icy_Samuel

Hubert

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: April 11, 2014, 08:55:39 PM »

jdallen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: April 11, 2014, 09:27:26 PM »
http://arctic.atmos.uiuc.edu/cryosphere/arctic.sea.ice.interactive.html

Freezes, 0.2 million km2 within 6 days. Why?
Supposition - significant expansion of leads at high latitude, refreeze of the expanses.  Sadly, almost certainly not "good" ice. As temperatures are quite high over all ... > -20C ... The ice won't have a chance to get past a few 10s of centimeters in thickness.  In areas like the Laptev that are due to get quite warm, it may disappear quickly.
This space for Rent.

idunno

• Frazil ice
  • wonders are many
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #299 on: April 11, 2014, 10:17:18 PM »
http://arctic.atmos.uiuc.edu/cryosphere/arctic.sea.ice.interactive.html

Freezes, 0.2 million km2 within 6 days. Why?

I don't know why, but I have a distinct impression that the CT anomaly has been smallest at this time of year over recent years. Biggest neg anomaly in October, smallest neg anomaly in April. In 2012, there was even a 1 day pos anomaly...

http://arctic.atmos.uiuc.edu/cryosphere/IMAGES/seaice.recent.arctic.png

In 2012, that turned out to be a very bad sign for the ice in September - the extra ice was in the Bering, mainly, and unsurprisingly, 100% of that melted. Perhaps, the cold that formed that marginal ice wasted its (lack of) energy, which might have been better employed thickening the ice in the Central Arctic, which could then have perhaps survived.

Also, and OTOH,

1. Average temps 80°+N have just dipped below average...

http://ocean.dmi.dk/arctic/meant80n.uk.php

2. As wayne has noted over on the blog, it has been really cold this winter over on the American side. The Canadian Archipelago ice is strong and healthy. It would not astound me if the NW Passage does not entirely clear this year.

It's even conceivable that this year we could get an ice free Arctic - i.e. less than 1M km2 ice - with the NW Passage still blocked with ice.