Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Years of Living Dangerously  (Read 8477 times)

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
Years of Living Dangerously
« on: April 08, 2014, 01:16:12 AM »
Who - among our American friends - is looking out for this? And will it become popular enough that a torrent is created for me to download?

From ClimateProgress:

Showtime has posted online the entire video of Episode 1 of its visually and emotionally gripping documentary series event, “Years of Living Dangerously.” The landmark 9-part series is produced by the legendary James Cameron, Arnold Schwarzenegger, and Jerry Weintraub — together with former 60 Minutes producers who have 18 Emmys between them.

In addition, ThinkProgress has an exclusive video of a post-premiere panel, which includes Executive Producer Dan Abbasi, correspondent Tom Friedman, and me, Chief Science Advisor. Panel moderator Carol Browner, former EPA Administrator, said after watching Episode 1:

I’ve seen a hundreds shows on climate change and I’ve seen all the graphs and charts…. But really in my experience, this is the first time it is about people.

James Cameron himself said, “This is 100 percent a people story.” And to tell these powerful stories, the series engaged top-flight journalists (like Chris Hayes and Friedman) and some of Hollywood’s biggest stars (like Matt Damon, Jessica Alba, Ian Somerholder, and Harrison Ford).

See for yourself:

If you liked that video, please tweet and Facebook it, please repost and email it to your friends and family.

I’ve been reviewing all the segments for technical accuracy as Chief Science Advisor with climatologist Heidi Cullen. I’ve been blown away by just how compelling the show is — every episode is as good as Episode 1.

This is not just going to be a landmark climate change series, it is going to be a landmark television series, like Ken Burns’ The Civil War. It is what everyone is going to be talking about from April to June. As the latest international climate report makes clear, climate change is happening right here, right now — in America and around the world. It is the biggest story of our time, and it needs a big platform to tell it.

In a front-page New York Times story David Nevins, Showtime’s president of entertainment — the architect of hits like Homeland and Masters of Sex — explained that he puts a show like “Years of Living Dangerously” on Sunday night “because I want to signal to the audience: This show matters. This is a big show.”

“Years Of Living Dangerously” is going to be a very big show. It premieres Sunday on Showtime, April 13 at 10PM EDT/PDT.
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 602
  • Likes Given: 409
Re: Years of Living Dangerously
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 05:38:57 AM »
Thanks for highlighting this. Maybe this should be on a different thread, but there are some interesting ruminations here on what might be called 'Years of Living Simply":

http://sanityandsimplicity.blogspot.com/

(Thanks to Newfie on the POForums for this link.)
"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

werther

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 31
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 12:23:00 AM »
I've watched the first episode on YT tonight. Made a strong impression on me. I plan to GoogleEarth all the places that were mentioned. Great role for Katherine Heyhoe on the Texas drought subject. Good to see familiar filmheroes like Harrison Ford showing misuse of forests in Sumatra and Borneo. And Friedman making the drought case underlying as an important factor in the sad Syrian civil war.
Don’t know if this really fits in here, but this, to me, seems related as one of the consequences:

One event that really hit me these days is the death of Father Van der Lugt in Homs, Syria. I’m not going to pretend that I’m the one to tell his story. It speaks for itself. This dear person embodied all virtues that make us human. Just, compassionate, courageous, wise and temperate, I remember him as a true sign of hope. His life was not in vain.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 12:31:26 AM by werther »

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1153
  • Likes Given: 430
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 05:24:33 PM »
This series is indeed a sign of how important the subject of climate change has become, with so many big names behind the scenes and in front of the cameras.

Media Matters speaks to its importance:
http://mediamatters.org/mobile/blog/2014/04/14/years-of-living-dangerously-is-this-the-new-tre/198878

And here's more on Katharine Hayhoe.  I love her evangelical/climate-scientist perspective.  Even self-proclaimed "atheists" on Twitter praise her highly.
http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2014/04/14/3425256/meet-star-showtime-series/
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2268
  • Likes Given: 286
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2014, 01:52:36 AM »
All of the episodes of the series "Years of Living Dangerously" can now be watched for free at the following Hulu link:

http://www.hulu.com/years-of-living-dangerously
“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.”
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2014, 01:15:46 PM »
As I do not have Showtime, I watched the third episode (about Super Storm Sandy) for the first time, and I would like to say that while the producers did mention the impact of the 1-ft of SLR that New York Harbor has experienced since 1900; there was no mention of the fact that climate change can increase the frequency and magnitude of atmospheric high pressure systems off the southern tip of Greenland, which could cause further hurricanes in this area to follow a path similar to that followed by Super Storm Sandy, which promote much higher storm surge levels than currently recognized by the historical storm surge recurrence curves used by both the US Federal, and Local, Governments in this area.
“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.”
― Leon C. Megginson

jai mitchell

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 207
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2014, 01:26:07 AM »
As I do not have Showtime, I watched the third episode (about Super Storm Sandy) for the first time, and I would like to say that while the producers did mention the impact of the 1-ft of SLR that New York Harbor has experienced since 1900; there was no mention of the fact that climate change can increase the frequency and magnitude of atmospheric high pressure systems off the southern tip of Greenland, which could cause further hurricanes in this area to follow a path similar to that followed by Super Storm Sandy, which promote much higher storm surge levels than currently recognized by the historical storm surge recurrence curves used by both the US Federal, and Local, Governments in this area.

As usual, they are trying to work from a 6th grade education level.  Even if there was a broad consensus regarding likelihood of future events (which there actually is!) they wouldn't state it (didn't) explicitly.

Thank you for posting the link, I have been waiting to see this for a while now!

http://www.hulu.com/years-of-living-dangerously
Haiku of Futures Passed
My "burning embers"
are not tri-color bar graphs
+3C today

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2015, 05:07:26 PM »
"Years of Living Dangerously" announces Season Two -- this time to be on NatGeo channel.
Today, the National Geographic Channel and The Years Project announced the return of the Emmy award-winning television event that will delve even deeper into the challenges posed by global warming. And this season, we’re going to focus even more on solutions that individuals, communities, companies, and even governments can use to address worldwide climate change.
The new season of Years of Living Dangerously will... [air] in 171 countries and 45 languages on the National Geographic Channel.
http://tvblogs.nationalgeographic.com/2015/09/17/critically-acclaimed-climate-change-series-years-of-living-dangerously-comes-to-nat-geo/

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2015, 06:41:13 PM »
"Years of Living Dangerously" announces Season Two -- this time to be on NatGeo channel.
Today, the National Geographic Channel and The Years Project announced the return of the Emmy award-winning television event that will delve even deeper into the challenges posed by global warming. And this season, we’re going to focus even more on solutions that individuals, communities, companies, and even governments can use to address worldwide climate change.
The new season of Years of Living Dangerously will... [air] in 171 countries and 45 languages on the National Geographic Channel.
http://tvblogs.nationalgeographic.com/2015/09/17/critically-acclaimed-climate-change-series-years-of-living-dangerously-comes-to-nat-geo/

Rupert Murdoch has now bought National Geographic so we can all expect the climate change coverage from this flagship media outlet to gradually come to an end.
― Leon C. Megginson

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2015, 08:32:44 PM »
Rupert Murdoch has now bought National Geographic so we can all expect the climate change coverage from this flagship media outlet to gradually come to an end.
Although the overwhelming public reaction to the sale was as you state, The Guardian notes that James Murdoch, chief executive of the company since June, is a rather different animal ( ;) ) than Rupert.  So perhaps all is not lost.

The surprise $725m purchase by Fox of a majority stake in the media assets of the National Geographic Society is the first major deal for James Murdoch since he became chief executive of the company in June this year, and an interesting statement of intent, perhaps, in terms of what he intends to bring to the division. The immediate and mainly negative reaction to the news from scientists and writers in the US drew attention to Rupert Murdoch’s tweeted climate scepticism, and Fox News’ editorial line, which has in general been hostile to data and argument indicating that climate change is real and caused by human activity.

While James Murdoch is as hard-edged a capitalist as you will find in any midtown Manhattan executive suite, he is a very different proposition to his father, and this might be good news for those fearful for National Geographic’s independence and commitment to scientific exploration and communication. As chief executive of Sky in the UK, Murdoch junior made the company carbon-neutral as early as 2006. Its headquarters are still identifiable by their wind turbine. In endless interviews about the greening of Sky, James Murdoch always made the point that the choice to make environmental responsibility part of the company brand was a “business decision”, but the policies were real and implemented.
http://www.theguardian.com/media/media-blog/2015/sep/13/james-murdoch-fox-national-geographic

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2016, 01:22:51 AM »
Season Two trailer video at the link.

MARK YOUR CALENDARS! Years of Living Dangerously SEASON TWO will premiere on Sunday, October 30th exclusively on National Geographic Channel.

Our new season will air in 171 countries and 45 languages, featuring some of Hollywood's biggest influencers who are passionate about environmental issues as they give first-person accounts of the effects of climate change across the planet. CHECK OUT the Season Two trailer and stay tuned for updates and behind-the-scenes footage. ‪#‎YEARSproject
https://www.facebook.com/YearsOfLiving/videos/1061909790562745/

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2016, 03:31:49 AM »
Season Two trailer video at the link.

MARK YOUR CALENDARS! Years of Living Dangerously SEASON TWO will premiere on Sunday, October 30th exclusively on National Geographic Channel.

Our new season will air in 171 countries and 45 languages, featuring some of Hollywood's biggest influencers who are passionate about environmental issues as they give first-person accounts of the effects of climate change across the planet. CHECK OUT the Season Two trailer and stay tuned for updates and behind-the-scenes footage. ‪#‎YEARSproject

Thanks for the invite to a front row seat to view a, no holds barred, fight to the finish.
― Leon C. Megginson

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2016, 01:50:57 PM »
DVR reminder!

Read David Letterman’s interview about climate change and YEARS of LIVING DANGEROUSLY in National Geographic Magazine here:  http://www.nationalgeographic.com/magazine/2016/10/3-questions-david-letterman/

Watch him in the premiere of season two on National Geographic Channel on Sunday, October 30, at 8/7c.

http://yearsoflivingdangerously.com