Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Who's right - The models or the recent trend?  (Read 4354 times)

Michael Hauber

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 168
  • Likes Given: 16
Who's right - The models or the recent trend?
« on: July 30, 2014, 10:07:53 AM »
Its a central belief of some people that the models underestimate ice melt in the Arctic.  The recent trend towards stronger than predicted ice loss in the Arctic means a disaster and that the scientists have made a bad mistake with their models.

Its a central belief of other people that the models overestimate warming of the globe.  The recent trend towards slower than predicted warming means that everything is ok and that the scientists have made a bad mistake with their models.

Ever heard of natural variation?
Climate change:  Prepare for the worst, hope for the best, expect the middle.

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
  • Don't Vote NatC or PopCon, Save Lives!
    • View Profile
    • The Arctic sea ice Great White Con
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 87
Re: Who's right - The models or the recent trend?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 11:13:20 AM »
Which models are you talking about Michael? There are lots of different flavours! How do you define "recent"?

For much more on sea ice models in particular see also:

The Distributed Arctic Sea Ice Model

Ever heard of the top of the atmosphere radiation budget?
"The most revolutionary thing one can do always is to proclaim loudly what is happening" - Rosa Luxemburg

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2019, 06:18:31 PM »

TeaPotty

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 79
  • Likes Given: 121
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2019, 06:30:34 PM »
The recent trend towards slower than predicted warming means that everything is ok and that the scientists have made a bad mistake with their models.

<snip, Michael isn't that, I believe, and even if he were, we should be able to handle that, so don't harp; N.>
Warming has not slowed, and our civilization is in danger of collapse.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 09:48:34 PM by Neven »

binntho

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 878
  • Likes Given: 235
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2019, 06:37:15 PM »
Models cannot be "right" - they are models!

And recent trends are always "right" - they are the reality!
because a thing is eloquently expressed it should not be taken to be as necessarily true
St. Augustine, Confessions V, 6

Pragma

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 48
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2019, 06:37:40 PM »
Michael,

In light of your recent posting stating your position on ACC and the IPCC, would you care to comment on the link that Tom Mazanec posted?

Cheers

Klondike Kat

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 40
  • Likes Given: 56
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2019, 06:56:15 PM »

Agreed.  Models are based on how well they can predict future trends.

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1012
  • Likes Given: 1034
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2019, 07:34:39 PM »
  Clever of Michael to be hiding in full sight for so long ! :)

The shit is hitting the fan now . Some will say ' I don't see no shit' until they drown in it . They've been shovelling shit all their lives , thinking they were storing up riches . Others will buy an umbrella . Little use when the shit gets to 50 foot deep ..
  Models aren't much use when reality overwhelms them . Time to pay attention to models more than 3 days out was 40 years ago .. but no-one that could make a difference did .  .. b.c.

ps .. get your tickets now for the North Pole Cruises leaving a port near you soon .. bring your own shit ..

Conflict is the root of all evil , for being blind it does not see whom it attacks . Yet it always attacks the Son Of God , and the Son of God is you .

Dharma Rupa

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 52
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2019, 07:50:34 PM »
  Models aren't much use when reality overwhelms them . Time to pay attention to models more than 3 days out was 40 years ago .. but no-one that could make a difference did .  .. b.c.

40 years ago I made sure I wasn't living at sea level.  I'll also oppose any attempt to mitigate damage caused by a rising sea level.  Be the change you want to be.

You didn't really need any models then and you certainly don't need them now to know that we fucked up.

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2019, 07:54:14 PM »
The recent trend towards slower than predicted warming means that everything is ok and that the scientists have made a bad mistake with their models.

Does anyone need any more evidence that Michael is a troll?

That you take Michael's quote from five years ago out of context makes it look like you are a troll.  But real trolls tend to be much worse, so no, I don't actually think you are a troll, T.P., but this name calling of yours is a bit much!
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

Pragma

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 48
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2019, 07:55:05 PM »

"It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong."

Richard P. Feynman

TeaPotty

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2019, 08:12:07 PM »
Its a WASTE of time to argue with deniers.
They never discuss in good faith. Prudence with rich ppl's money is more important to them than prudence with human life and livelihood. History will judge us all as horrible people... and they will be right! But some of us more than others really have a deathwish hiding behind a gambling problem they call Capitalism.

Does anyone need any more evidence that Michael is a troll?

That you take Michael's quote from five years ago out of context makes it look like you are a troll.  But real trolls tend to be much worse, so no, I don't actually think you are a troll, T.P., but this name calling of yours is a bit much!

What is the problem

• NewMembers
  • New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 21
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2019, 08:35:54 PM »

Models describe the past. For future predictions one assumes (hopes) the same behaviour as in the past will be valid in the future too. Only with a perfect model this will be the case otherwise adjustments to the model need to be made after some time and availability of new data.

magnamentis

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2019, 08:45:51 PM »

that's correct but not one single post here fits into the category (ies) you mentioned.

this must be something personal which i understand it can happen but i can't see any benefit in
repeating the "D" word and the "T" word ad infinitum.

you made your point, i personally disagree but respect your opinion and now we should follow your own guidance (statement) that it's a waste of time (and energy)

agree ?

if so, no comment needed

TeaPotty

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2019, 09:49:49 PM »

that's correct but not one single post here fits into the category (ies) you mentioned.

this must be something personal which i understand it can happen but i can't see any benefit in
repeating the "D" word and the "T" word ad infinitum.

you made your point, i personally disagree but respect your opinion and now we should follow your own guidance (statement) that it's a waste of time (and energy)

agree ?

if so, no comment needed

Nice counter-attack.

How about this... find some good quality Hauber posts where he is clearly contributing to discussion and arguing in good faith.

Instead, you see Hauber ruins discussion threads. Those who have been here long enough will not forget how people like him drove posters like AbruptSLR away.

Hauber isn't concerned about how Climate Change effects human life, he is concerned about spending too much money to stop it.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2019, 09:52:45 PM »
I was the one who drove posters like ASLR away.

I adjusted your comment, but didn't know that you've kicked up this thread. So, now I'm closing this thread, and urge you to leave it be. Even if Michael is a denier troll, which I don't believe he is, we should be able to handle him. At least, he is not a concern troll (posing as alarmists), who are the real PITA.
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith