Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Making sense of irregular data  (Read 8708 times)

redste

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Making sense of irregular data
« on: July 06, 2015, 01:56:50 PM »
I have followed the arctic ice graphs for some years and notice the attempts to gain a long term insight from annual (or monthly)  linear data which by it's very nature is irregular even chaotic, due to prevailing weather rather than climate changes.   However the irregularities are disguising the real data, so better if they were filtered or weighted down. The ice which remains in Hudson bay is irrelevant to the annual min. extent, it will be all gone come September. In addition to current graphs, I suggest to display data such as piomass, ice thickness in a more limited area (say with 75deg N) or by applying a spatial  algorithm  that would give a better understanding of trends.
Various interpolation methods are described here www.knmi.nl/bibliotheek/knmipubIR/IR2009-04.pdf

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1336
  • Likes Given: 618
Re: Making sense of irregular data
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 02:45:07 PM »
Welcome, redste. I've released your account, so you should be able to post immediately.

I suggest to display data such as piomass, ice thickness in a more limited area (say with 75deg N) or by applying a spatial  algorithm  that would give a better understanding of trends.

Have you tried anything like this?
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

Nightvid Cole

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 04:27:12 PM »
I have followed the arctic ice graphs for some years and notice the attempts to gain a long term insight from annual (or monthly)  linear data which by it's very nature is irregular even chaotic, due to prevailing weather rather than climate changes.   However the irregularities are disguising the real data, so better if they were filtered or weighted down. The ice which remains in Hudson bay is irrelevant to the annual min. extent, it will be all gone come September. In addition to current graphs, I suggest to display data such as piomass, ice thickness in a more limited area (say with 75deg N) or by applying a spatial  algorithm  that would give a better understanding of trends.
Various interpolation methods are described here www.knmi.nl/bibliotheek/knmipubIR/IR2009-04.pdf

Huh? "Interpolation" is what you do to deal with gaps in a set of data, not what you do if you want to only look at a subset of the data.

ktonine

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 05:29:33 PM »
Huh? "Interpolation" is what you do to deal with gaps in a set of data, not what you do if you want to only look at a subset of the data.

Interpolation is the creation of new data for an existing data set.  It is does not need to be in a 'gap' -- it could be anywhere; i.e., the beginning or the end, temporal or spatial, past or future.

It is often the case that technical terminology carries a different meaning than that of common usage.  I believe 'interpolation' in this sense has you tripped up.  You may wish to follow the link redste provided and read the literature cited.

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
  • Don't Vote NatC or PopCon, Save Lives!
    • View Profile
    • The Arctic sea ice Great White Con
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 87
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 05:52:16 PM »
In addition to current graphs, I suggest to display data such as piomass, ice thickness in a more limited area

Have you seen the assorted regional graphs, many of which are collected together here:

http://GreatWhiteCon.info/resources/arctic-sea-ice-graphs/

and here:

http://GreatWhiteCon.info/resources/gridded-piomas-graphs/piomas-regional-volume/
"The most revolutionary thing one can do always is to proclaim loudly what is happening" - Rosa Luxemburg

mati

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1
and so it goes

ChrisReynolds

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • Dosbat
  • Liked: 20
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2015, 10:55:16 PM »
From the article Mati links to:

Edward Tufte, master of information design, once wrote, “The deep, fundamental question in statistical analysis is Compared with what?”

Precisely the problem I have had in comparing the current PIOMAS volume increase with 2012...

Years ago I used to 'evolve' neural networks as a hobby, then I got into something else. I keep pondering using a neural net on sea ice, but never get around to it.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1336
  • Likes Given: 618
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2015, 11:13:56 PM »
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

ChrisReynolds

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • Dosbat
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2015, 10:30:35 PM »
I was trying to remember which paper had used them, thanks Neven.

Being unphysical NNs would be formed by past behaviour. But I remain convinced that at this stage all the 'players' in the final demise of the summer ice pack are currently playing their role. The problem with evolving NNs is that it is very very computer time consuming. I used to typically have a 'generation' of 4096 members, which would be run. Then the program would 'select the best 16 performers, 'kill' the rest, and make 256 'children' of those 16, each with small variations to the numbers for the parent... run again from the new generation of 4096, select, kill repopulate etc etc. It could run for a week or so for some tasks.

All of that was on a ~200MHz Pentium in C++ programming language. I could have bigger populations with the speed of computers now.

The more I think about it, the more intriguing it is. But where to start? I'd have to regrid data to a more coarse grid - now it's looking like a pain in the arse.  ;D

sayama

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2015, 05:06:40 AM »
We use neural networks often at my workplace. They have become very mature. GPUs to run them have come way down in cost and we can run huge datasets in near real time. There are many many code libraries to easily implement them now as well. I would say go for it.

http://devblogs.nvidia.com/parallelforall/cuda-spotlight-gpu-accelerated-deep-neural-networks/

AySz88

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2015, 06:57:38 AM »
All of that was on a ~200MHz Pentium in C++ programming language. I could have bigger populations with the speed of computers now.

The more I think about it, the more intriguing it is. But where to start? I'd have to regrid data to a more coarse grid - now it's looking like a pain in the arse.  ;D

Perhaps a bit on a tangent, but I guesstimate a 1000x speedup (20x clock speed, 32x cores, 4x IPC = 1280x), so that same one-week task would now take maybe 10 minutes of computing time.  That's literally less than a dollar of Google Cloud Compute.

Have I gotten you back to intrigued again? Or maybe just to slap an intern on it...? :)

epiphyte

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 22
  • Likes Given: 21
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2015, 07:16:18 AM »
Having served as the Cray on-site analyst at both UKMET and ECMWF at one time or another, the most apposite quote that comes to mind is from an (ID redacted to protect the innocent) BBC weatherman upon the commissioning of the (then) most powerful computer in Europe...

"Fantastic! we'll be able to get it wrong twice as fast now!"

AySz88

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2015, 07:55:59 AM »
"Fantastic! we'll be able to get it wrong twice as fast now!"

I do see the punchline, but (on this side of the pond?) "failing quickly" is an ideal to strive for!

Wipneus

• Citizen scientist
  • Young ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctische Pinguin
  • Liked: 1025
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2015, 08:00:03 AM »
Neural networks, that reminds me of the 2012 Roesel paper: Melt ponds on Arctic sea ice determined from MODIS satellite data using an artificial neural network.

I do not doubt their results, do not misunderstand me, but the method is a prime example where a trivial straight forward calculation would have yielded exact results without the computing overhead and uncertainty  of neural networks.

I have found that all of the neural network solutions that I have encountered have been a compensation for lack of understanding the problem or the result of sales/marketing forces: customers prefer neural networks.

seaice.de

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 86
  • Likes Given: 21
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2015, 11:23:56 AM »
I agree that the result would have been very similar without the NN but the calculation (optimization problem for every pixel) has been considerably speeded up by the NN .

Neural networks, that reminds me of the 2012 Roesel paper: Melt ponds on Arctic sea ice determined from MODIS satellite data using an artificial neural network.

I do not doubt their results, do not misunderstand me, but the method is a prime example where a trivial straight forward calculation would have yielded exact results without the computing overhead and uncertainty  of neural networks.

Wipneus

• Citizen scientist
  • Young ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctische Pinguin
  • Liked: 1025
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2015, 12:57:43 PM »
I agree that the result would have been very similar without the NN but the calculation (optimization problem for every pixel) has been considerably speeded up by the NN .

Lars,

We are talking about equation 2 in the paper, relating area fractions of melt ponds , ice and open water (AM, AI, AW) to reflectances in three MODIS wavelenths and an additional constraint that the sum of area fractions is 1.

The paper says:
The set of linear Eq. (2) contains three unknowns
(AW,AM,AI) in four equations, therefore the equations are
overdetermined. That means more than one exact solution is
possible and thus, we consider the linear Eq. (2) as an optimization
problem which needs to be solved in a least-square
sense. For the solution of these equation we use a quasiNewton
approximation method (Broyden-Fletcher-GoldfarbShanno
method).

That is over the top. Solving an overdetermined system is the basis of all analysis of physical measurements that involve multiple readings **). Any student physics may be asked to solve it in his first year exam "measuring in physics".
You can consider it as an optimization problem, but to solve it (in the least square sense) there exist efficient direct methods.

There are complications however, the paper says:
With the assumption of a three class mixture model and
the selection of three surface types, we find, that especially
the surface types open water and melt ponds are almost linearly
dependent, therefore the set of linear Eq. (2) is not well
conditioned. To comply with the physical principles, it is
necessary to constrain the interval of the solution between
zero and one for each class. (...)

This I understand, but again I do not see the need for the complicated way the problem is solved.
Restricting the area fractions between 0 and 1 makes the optimization of the type "mixed integer". In this case with only 3 unknowns it is very simple to reduce them to several simpler equations:
For each of the fractions (I,M,W) consider three possibilities: 0, 1 or in between. That is 27 cases at most, of which most do not make sense. Left are a handful of cases (7 but some are trivial) that can be solved efficiently, lowest least square is the optimum.

**): That second line in the quoted text should be "That means that in general no exact solution exists". The opposite of what is written.

mati

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2015, 06:40:14 PM »
We use neural networks often at my workplace. They have become very mature. GPUs to run them have come way down in cost and we can run huge datasets in near real time. There are many many code libraries to easily implement them now as well. I would say go for it.

http://devblogs.nvidia.com/parallelforall/cuda-spotlight-gpu-accelerated-deep-neural-networks/

The latest graphics cards are more powerful than the original CRAY 1 !!! :)
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-r9-fury-x,4196.html
and so it goes

ChrisReynolds

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • Dosbat
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2015, 07:19:14 PM »

Perhaps a bit on a tangent, but I guesstimate a 1000x speedup (20x clock speed, 32x cores, 4x IPC = 1280x), so that same one-week task would now take maybe 10 minutes of computing time.  That's literally less than a dollar of Google Cloud Compute.

Have I gotten you back to intrigued again? Or maybe just to slap an intern on it...? :)

Maybe, but I remember why I dropped the hobby. Initially I was frustrated by the trash going around the AI community...

The simplest NN has inputs which are weighted and summed then applied to a 'logic gate', if the result of the summing is over a threshold the gate turns on and the neuron activates. What I found was things like researchers using sigmoid functions instead of on/off gates, this was done because in their training procedures they needed to be able to differentiate the functions, you can differentiate a sigmoid, not a step function. After reading Hofstadter's 'Goedel, Escher, Bach' I was convinced he was right, that AI requires entities that interact with the world by experience. Such entities cannot be built by someone messing around inside the net, the only way to do it would be the way nature does, evolve them. When I began to hear that proper professional researchers were moving to evolving rather than tinkering, I concluded they'd do much better than I could.

My ideas was basically, start with an amoeba (reacts to a single stimulus) build up to a jelly fish, then an insect, maybe detour into collective intelligence of insects (ants and bees), then a lizard, a mouse, a dog, etc etc. When I first played UNREAL, my thought was - here is an evironment for AIs to live in! After I'd got over what a stunning experience playing in such a beautifully rendered world was.

Sayama,

Thanks for reminding me about GPUs, I've read about them being used like that before.

mati

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2015, 05:25:21 PM »
GPUs are being used for bitcoin mining as well as FPGAs.
GPU programming status:
http://www.researchgate.net/post/How_can_a_CPU-GPU_program_be_written

my first "own" program i wrote was conways game of life in fortran on an ibm370.
my have things changed.

My AI courses from back in the day are pretty well irrelevant now, but there is still
some very interesting research being done in software learining systems.

my gut feeling is that the neural network approaches being used currently are
not heading in the right direction.... something is missing.. and i think that is the
massive interconnectivity of the human brain, and the fact that this interconnectivity
can re-organize itself
and so it goes