Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Ozone hole trend  (Read 871 times)

Bugalugs

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 10
Ozone hole trend
« on: July 10, 2019, 01:27:35 AM »
I am having difficulty assessing the overall trend in ozone hole size. On the one hand the hole was predicted to get smaller, on the other hand it was record large in 2015.

Online graphics that I have was hoping to compare with recent figures tend to cut off around 2014.

Is there a good page out there assessing the trend? Or a recent animated graphic incorporating the past 30 years or so up to now?

kassy

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 375
  • Likes Given: 383
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

gerontocrat

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1727
  • Likes Given: 22
Re: Ozone hole trend
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 06:03:14 PM »
I am having difficulty assessing the overall trend in ozone hole size. On the one hand the hole was predicted to get smaller, on the other hand it was record large in 2015.

Online graphics that I have was hoping to compare with recent figures tend to cut off around 2014.

Is there a good page out there assessing the trend? Or a recent animated graphic incorporating the past 30 years or so up to now?
https://ozonewatch.gsfc.nasa.gov/ has it all?
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

Bugalugs

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2019, 08:20:57 AM »
Crikey, don't know how I missed that, I'll buy a white cane.

Tom_Mazanec

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • Planet Mazanec
  • Liked: 395
  • Likes Given: 67
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2019, 09:29:54 PM »
In the 1980s, the World Acted to Save the Ozone Layer. Here's Why the Fight Against Climate Change Is Different
https://time.com/5681661/climate-change-ozone-history/
The discovery of the ozone hole was sometimes called a “focusing event” — an event that focuses public attention on a particular problem. The effects of climate change are beginning to be more and more perceptible to different people, but they are not yet as obvious as the ozone hole. It might have to be that a big piece of Greenland falls into the sea and sea levels rise by a foot — that would get us thinking about climate change. But the slow nature of climate change doesn’t lend itself to that kind of shock value.

This particular summit just doesn’t seem like any kind of analogy to the ozone issue. We [in the U.S.] actually were the leaders on ozone depletion and on smog, and frankly, we’re doing so badly right now on environmental issues. We’re not going to be the leaders. We’re not going to go into this summit and say anything that will help to create an international agreement.
SHARKS (CROSSED OUT) MONGEESE (SIC) WITH FRICKIN LASER BEAMS ATTACHED TO THEIR HEADS