Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: How many of you are scientists?  (Read 22035 times)

Bugalugs

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 10
How many of you are scientists?
« on: July 22, 2019, 01:19:17 AM »
Bit of an odd question, but the people on there, are most of you climate scientists? Or is this forum populated mainly with laymen who have an interest? I assume "lurkers" are mostly laymen.

I note that many posts are scientific in nature, with supporting data, suggesting scientific backgrounds, but perhaps some of you are just ice-focussed mega-geeks  :D

I am actually asking with great respect, as it would help me understand more about what I am reading.

Is it possible to supply a list of user names who are credentialled climate/environmental scientists? No IDs needed of course.

Congrats on a great forum. Given the significance of the discussion here, you'd think the forum would be populated by millions.

DrTskoul

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 210
  • Likes Given: 60
Re: How many of you are scientists?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2019, 02:06:42 AM »
PhD Chemical Engineer, with background and practice in fluid dynamics, heat and mass transfer and complex dynamic process systems.

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3589
  • Likes Given: 3943
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2019, 02:26:02 AM »
I think most contributors are laymen and laywomen, some with strong scientific backgrounds. I have a meager B.A and half an M.A in physics, while A-Team is a professor of mathematical physics IIRC.
I expect some lurkers are actual scientists, looking for ideas (especially the off-the-radar ones), sharing some result every so often, or defending some paper.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 02:36:41 AM by oren »

DrTskoul

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2019, 02:40:48 AM »
Most people here, regardless if they are scientists, they are curious and are here to learn.

petm

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 318
  • Likes Given: 27
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2019, 03:17:53 AM »
Scientist, not climate.

Rod

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2019, 03:22:17 AM »
I was a scientist in biomedical studies a very long time ago. For the past almost 20 years I have been an environmental attorney. 

Edit: I’m probably overstating that I was a scientist.  I did biomedical research for about 4 years and I am a coauthor on two peer reviewed publications regarding cancer research and neuropharmacology research.  However, I do not have a PhD.

I have been an environmental attorney suing polluters since about 2002. 
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 03:33:04 AM by Rod »

Pmt111500

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2019, 05:51:44 AM »
Early in the forum history, many people shared their involvement in science, but even back then there was reluctance to share any personal info. I doubt many are willing to do so even now. There were f.e. couple nicks, who ceased to write after the latest election in US, so guessing they were government scientists in fear of being persecuted. This of course applies to most scientists 'preaching doom', that does not fit in the political ideologies round the world. Thus clear unwillingness to share personal info by some. As changing the nickname is possible (at least with Neven/webmaster approval), it's possible some have done so, and continue to observe maybe also post here.

I have an old M.Sc. with less than good math skills and rigor, though know a bit of multivariate analysis, which was extracurricular back then (probably still is for the discipline) A 6-7th year drop out of uni, to put it bluntly.

Q:How do you know you're not going to be a scientist?
A:The true scientists start to write curricular books on subjects that were studied during your thesis.

On occasion, I've thought to write out my impressions of the posters here, but pretty much decided not to. It could be considered breach of privacy by Neven and others and I don't want to be banned here. I meant this just to help newcomers, but as this is a political issue to some, this could generate unwelcome traffic/personal attacks to just the threads/posters i consider most informative.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 07:03:59 AM by Pmt111500 »

nanning

• Nilas ice
  • 0Kg CO₂, 37 KWh/wk,125L H₂O/wk, No offspring
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 273
  • Likes Given: 23170
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2019, 07:04:16 AM »
I'm not an academic scientist. I chose to be outside academia and have no credentials. Don't participate in bad systems.
Studied BSc physics fairly recently.

I assume "lurkers" are mostly laymen
You assumption is not correct I think. If I understand correctly a lurker will be 'upgraded' when enough posts or enough quality posts have been made.
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell
"It is preoccupation with what other people from your groups think of you, that prevents you from living freely and nobly" - Nanning
Why do you keep accumulating stuff?

HapHazard

• Grease ice
  • Chillin' on Cold Mountain.
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 284
  • Likes Given: 5258
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2019, 07:52:11 AM »
You assumption is not correct I think. If I understand correctly a lurker will be 'upgraded' when enough posts or enough quality posts have been made.

"lurker" is a general internet term referring to someone who reads a forum but does not participate in discussions, and isn't even necessarily registered as a user. That's what the poster was referring to, not the title handed out here.

On topic: I'm not a scientologist. I just make things out of stuff.
If I call you out but go no further, the reason is Brandolini's law.

Pmt111500

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2019, 08:41:23 AM »
Lurkers yea, totally impossible to say who is or isn't a scientist or with science background or has a job that involves weather. And what is a layman, anyway. I'll list impressions here (without nicknames)

Some retired scientists, journalists, people in agriculture, fishing, energy sector, teachers (geography, biology, physics, engineering, even chemistry), few data analysts, other shipping/navy. Weather geeks, meteorologists, even some climate scientists (some are definitely inactive) among other scientists and scientifically oriented people. Some representatives of humanities/social sciences. Few people of transportation/car industry (consequences/solutions). Some architectural discussion i haven't read (energy-saving buildings). Very few economists ( usually they look on shorter gains/losses than what the arctic sea ice presents), though there are probably threads by them (not that interested myself).

A shared interest on climate, weather, and the disappearance of ice off the planet, and the consequences of this, is a common factor here. Excluding trolls.

Won't put out guesses on how many from each occupation is  active. Some lurkers activate on some subjects showing considerable knowledge/expertise just to go back to lurking, some may have seen a dubious article somewhere and come to seek assistance in debunking, still some have just said hello.

Hope this clears up things a bit.

Ktb

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 158
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2019, 09:18:51 AM »
While not showing how many of us are scientists, my poll does help to show how many of us have some formal education.

https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php/topic,2615.msg193964.html#msg193964
And, given a story to enact in which the world is a foe to be conquered, they will conquer it like a foe, and one day, inevitably, their foe will lie bleeding to death at their feet, as the world is now.
- Ishmael

Pmt111500

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2019, 10:33:59 AM »
Checking memberslist there are some 600 nicks who just read and 200 more with just one post. There are over a 1000 members with 5 or less posts. Maybe they've just came by to make one point or they read much of the forum.

ASIF Citizen limit seems now to be 100 posts (formerly 50), there are about 200 nicknames with that amount of posts. Plus of course the few who have exited. Few unfamiliar names there.

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2019, 08:23:44 PM »
There are a few geologists, or people trained in geology (M.Sc. in  my case), active on these threads.
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1047
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2019, 12:13:22 AM »
Fizicist.

sidd

Sebastian Jones

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 214
  • Likes Given: 159
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2019, 07:31:17 AM »
Citizen Scientist.
And I'm not being funny.
My thesis topic was on how we use citizen science.
Many citizen scientists have zero academic credentials, yet know a tremendous amount and are highly respected by lettered scientists.
So, I'm not sure how useful a question this thread poses.

Avalonian

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 26
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2019, 09:27:54 AM »
Palaeontologist here... although I don't post much, because my stuff is much, much older than the parts that can be directly compared with what is happening in the current world. Ordovician climate was quite a different beast.

DrTskoul

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2019, 11:11:24 AM »
Fizicist.

sidd

I like the science of Fizi things....

Bugalugs

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2019, 12:56:09 AM »
Thanks for the time taken to reply. The poll is interesting. Perhaps a poll about which specific scientific backgrounds would be useful, or interesting?

Pmt111500

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2019, 08:57:51 AM »
Thanks for the time taken to reply. The poll is interesting. Perhaps a poll about which specific scientific backgrounds would be useful, or interesting?

I'm content with the fact that people here know how to read a thermometer. If it's properly set up. Or at least they've noticed that it's not as simple as Anthony Watts seems to think. That man has insulted the readers of thermometers everywhere on the planet, and should face the consequenses.

Sorry got carried away. This does not sound like a poll I'd participate. Additionally, I should build a shade for my house thermometer to get reliable measurements during sunlight hours 3AM-8AM and again in the evening after 5PM and set it up so the trash truck could hit it every 2 weeks. That Anthony Twat says it's still too close to the building, so I'm unreliable reporter of temperatures. He should have his head examined, preferably with an open surgery. The hot air inside skews his internal thermometer so much he incites people to be aggressive against sensible and observant people.

No, definitely not a poll that I would participate.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 11:36:24 AM by Pmt111500 »

Sterks

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2019, 09:30:06 PM »
I was to follow an scientific career, but left the track as soon as I got the phd like 20 years ago.
So I am capable to ignore trolls but I can’t stand pseudoscience, used by hyper-alarmists and deniers alike.
Right now there’s a conversation in the melting season thread that..., OMG, well.

FishOutofWater

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 696
  • Likes Given: 333
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2019, 02:49:17 AM »
Geology - undergrad.
Geochemistry - PhD
Weather geek since I was a little boy.

I worked professionally on nuclear waste research. Retired now.

I agree that a number of employed posters may want to keep this forum and their private lives separated. Things are crazy in the U.S. and they also look pretty messed up in the U.K to me.

Aluminium

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1140
  • Likes Given: 680
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2019, 10:57:32 AM »
Astronomer.

pccp82

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 8
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2019, 01:38:12 AM »
BS in Geography. I don't post much, but I do read. I am very annoyed at how awful the melting season thread is becoming.

Klondike Kat

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 40
  • Likes Given: 56
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2019, 04:46:31 AM »
B.S. in chemistry, PhD in Environmental chemistry.  Not quite climate, but my work has occasionally touched on potential effects.