Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Why are youngsters staying away from this site?  (Read 3465 times)

P-maker

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 72
  • Likes Given: 0
Why are youngsters staying away from this site?
« on: September 20, 2019, 12:20:47 PM »
Trying to figure out today, where the youngsters were in their current thinking, I came across this kind of disturbing message:

http://anlanasic.cf/neven-sea-ice-arctic.php

One should think that these guys were trying to help getting Neven a crowd amongst the youth, willing and eager to learn and share

On the controrary. It was impossible to link to any of the great stuff provided here. Actually, the site is in fact keeping youngsters away from this site. Some of them may have an interest or some kind of need to learn more, but simple algorithms are keeping them away from the altar of wisdom. What to do?

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2041
  • Likes Given: 1986
Re: Why are youngsters staying away from this site?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2019, 02:49:55 PM »
If you are young you can also just google it and then read it. No registration required.
And we don´t know how many do that.

Not sure what that site you linked to is about but it is probably not typical for all youngsters?

Also this site is rather specific and i think that there are other sites to read first (basics first).
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

Général de GuerreLasse

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 63
  • Likes Given: 32
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2020, 06:46:40 PM »
Here's a thread that could use a lot more activity. In 1972 when Dennis Meadows presented the famous Club of Rome report I was 16 years old and living in a coron in the north of France (a coron was a district reserved for coal miners). I waited with extreme impatience for a special issue of a magazine to come out to find out more in June of the same year. I was expecting a real revolution when I read Dennis Meadows' work (and later the books of James Lovelock). But nothing ... neither young nor old ... nothing for years. In fact, until now I'm afraid so. All my efforts, past and present... for nothing. I am not fooled by the "youth" demonstrations against climate change. I think that the driving forces behind them have nothing to do with real reflection and understanding of the causes, effects and actions that need to be put in place. They are more like epidermal reactions, a fashion phenomenon and then you make a selfie of yourself eating an ice cream. Denial has always been the cornerstone of the human race. Reality is too hard to accept. Now a "good question": where are the women? Should I open a thread to discuss it? ;)
But maybe it's not politically correct? :) :-X
La cravate est un accessoire permettant d'indiquer la direction du cerveau de l'homme.
Un petit croquis en dit plus qu'un grand discours, mais beaucoup moins qu'un gros chèque.
Pierre DAC

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3584
  • Likes Given: 3922
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2020, 06:49:31 PM »
The youth I know are aware of Global Warming, pollution and other environmental issues. They are however quite depressed in that they don't believe they can affect the outcome. I find it hard to argue with such realism, although if all decided at the same time to do something, things could change.

Freegrass

• Young ice
  • Autodidacticism is a complicated word...
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 951
  • Likes Given: 1251
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2020, 07:18:48 PM »
Here's a thread that could use a lot more activity. In 1972 when Dennis Meadows presented the famous Club of Rome report I was 16 years old and living in a coron in the north of France (a coron was a district reserved for coal miners). I waited with extreme impatience for a special issue of a magazine to come out to find out more in June of the same year. I was expecting a real revolution when I read Dennis Meadows' work (and later the books of James Lovelock). But nothing ... neither young nor old ... nothing for years. In fact, until now I'm afraid so. All my efforts, past and present... for nothing. I am not fooled by the "youth" demonstrations against climate change. I think that the driving forces behind them have nothing to do with real reflection and understanding of the causes, effects and actions that need to be put in place. They are more like epidermal reactions, a fashion phenomenon and then you make a selfie of yourself eating an ice cream. Denial has always been the cornerstone of the human race. Reality is too hard to accept. Now a "good question": where are the women? Should I open a thread to discuss it? ;)
But maybe it's not politically correct? :) :-X
Amen to that!

I think the problem is that (climate) activists like me - who aren't scientists with a lot of knowledge about the arctic - don't get accepted here easily by some members. We are told to shut up and stay in the background. So why bother hanging around?
90% of the world is religious, but somehow "love thy neighbour" became "fuck thy neighbours", if they don't agree with your point of view.

WTF happened?

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2020, 07:29:00 PM »
The original complaint was for linking from some other side with questionable value... or at least probably not the only site the youth use.

Things change over times and with current technologies it changes even faster.

In the beginning of the century message boards were really cool. There were a way to meet people from all over the planet. That changed already when FB and latter Twitter came up. In FB you could make your own groups so that led to the slow decline of the general message boards.

Then with youth they don´t wanna be on the app there parents use so they already use all kinds of different apps anyway.

But anyone who searches for info can still easily find this site or real climate and many others.

There are plenty of women doing good work so report about that in the appropriate threads.

It does not look like this thread is actually about walking the walking so i might close it.

Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2020, 07:49:11 PM »
I think the problem is that (climate) activists like me - who aren't scientists with a lot of knowledge about the arctic - don't get accepted here easily by some members. We are told to shut up and stay in the background. So why bother hanging around?

You are confusing some things here.

It was probably the thread you posted in and what you posted related to the frequency.
If you have not done so read the ASIB blog from the start. Not in one go but a couple a day.

Also since this thread is not relevant to the Subforum or On Topic i will close this.