Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Don't Look Up - Movie  (Read 4202 times)

jai mitchell

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 208
  • Likes Given: 60
Don't Look Up - Movie
« on: December 27, 2021, 12:06:33 AM »
Saw this on Netflix last night.  One of the greatest indictments of our collective inability to face the challenge of climate change.  It has everything:  incompetent and corrupt leadership, wacky billionaire entrepeneurs, inane talking heads living in a sociopathic bubble and the incredible existential angst felt by those who know and care about reality. 

Funny, shocking and thought provoking. 

See the movie, you will not be disappointed.

What did you think? (below)
Haiku of Futures Passed
My "burning embers"
are not tri-color bar graphs
+3C today

Freegrass

• Young ice
  • Autodidacticism is a complicated word
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 955
  • Likes Given: 1260
Re: Don't Look Up - Movie
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2021, 11:49:47 AM »
I watched it last night, and it's not bad, but a little too long and boring at times...
I loved the female Trump, and the parodies, but nowhere did they make it obvious the movie was actually about the climate. Many people aren't gonna get it I think.

But good entertainment at times!  :)
Certainly worth it to see it...
90% of the world is religious, but somehow "love thy neighbour" became "fuck thy neighbours", if they don't agree with your point of view.

WTF happened?

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
  • Don't Vote NatC or PopCon, Save Lives!
    • View Profile
    • The Arctic sea ice Great White Con
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 87
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2021, 05:25:22 PM »
I watched it on Saturday. I enjoyed it, but it wasn't clear to me how it would change the mind of anybody currently "sitting on the fence". The Grauniad was less than impressed:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2021/dec/27/look-away-why-star-studded-comet-satire-dont-look-up-is-a-disaster

Here's Prof. Brian Cox on the science behind "Don't look up":

"The most revolutionary thing one can do always is to proclaim loudly what is happening" - Rosa Luxemburg

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2021, 06:05:45 PM »
Great post Jim. Brian Cox really nailed it. But I do agree with the Guardian as well. At times the movie was not what it could have been... Halfway the movie I had to force myself to keep watching it...

All in all, worth seeing it, but don't expect too much. It's good fun at times, and hits on some important points, especially in the beginning.

SPOILER ALERT!
Don't read the next line if you still have to watch the movie!

Best laugh came at the end, when Merrill got eaten by that creature. What was it's name again? That was a good one...  ;D
90% of the world is religious, but somehow "love thy neighbour" became "fuck thy neighbours", if they don't agree with your point of view.

WTF happened?

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1159
  • Likes Given: 430
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2021, 01:28:49 PM »
Christian Davenport @wapodavenport
Don’t Look Up is either a sweeping satire of our time: climate change, the pandemic, vacuous morning show media, science deniers, the divided Republic, blind faith in Silicon Valley tech celebrities and, of course, truth in the age Trumpism. Or it’s a documentary. I can’t tell.
https://twitter.com/wapodavenport/status/1475652597898006533
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2052
  • Likes Given: 1988
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2021, 10:20:18 AM »
A take on the movie from a climate scientist, just some choice quotes.
Article has tons of spoilers.

I’m a climate scientist. Don’t Look Up captures the madness I see every day
Peter Kalmus

The movie Don’t Look Up is satire. But speaking as a climate scientist doing everything I can to wake people up and avoid planetary destruction, it’s also the most accurate film about society’s terrifying non-response to climate breakdown I’ve seen.

But this isn’t a film about how humanity would respond to a planet-killing comet; it’s a film about how humanity is responding to planet-killing climate breakdown. We live in a society in which, despite extraordinarily clear, present, and worsening climate danger, more than half of Republican members of Congress still say climate change is a hoax and many more wish to block action, and in which the official Democratic party platform still enshrines massive subsidies to the fossil fuel industry; in which the current president ran on a promise that “nothing will fundamentally change”, and the speaker of the House dismissed even a modest climate plan as “the green dream or whatever”; in which the largest delegation to Cop26 was the fossil fuel industry, and the White House sold drilling rights to a huge tract of the Gulf of Mexico after the summit; in which world leaders say that climate is an “existential threat to humanity” while simultaneously expanding fossil fuel production; in which major newspapers still run fossil fuel ads, and climate news is routinely overshadowed by sports; in which entrepreneurs push incredibly risky tech solutions and billionaires sell the absurdist fantasy that humanity can just move to Mars.

After 15 years of working to raise climate urgency, I’ve concluded that the public in general, and world leaders in particular, underestimate how rapid, serious and permanent climate and ecological breakdown will be if humanity fails to mobilize. There may only be five years left before humanity expends the remaining “carbon budget” to stay under 1.5C of global heating at today’s emissions rates – a level of heating I am not confident will be compatible with civilization as we know it. And there may only be five years before the Amazon rainforest and a large Antarctic ice sheet pass irreversible tipping points.

The Earth system is breaking down now with breathtaking speed. And climate scientists have faced an even more insurmountable public communication task than the astronomers in Don’t Look Up, since climate destruction unfolds over decades – lightning fast as far as the planet is concerned, but glacially slow as far as the news cycle is concerned – and isn’t as immediate and visible as a comet in the sky.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/dec/29/climate-scientist-dont-look-up-madness
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2022, 07:10:26 PM »
The movie Don’t Look Up is satire. But speaking as a climate scientist doing everything I can to wake people up and avoid planetary destruction, it’s also the most accurate film about society’s terrifying non-response to climate breakdown I’ve seen.

A society … in which entrepreneurs push incredibly risky tech solutions and billionaires sell the absurdist fantasy that humanity can just move to Mars.

Peter Kalmus’ lack of understanding and quick dismissal of Musk’s goal is specious.  Not only because it ignores a potential insurance policy against “planetary destruction” — whether it be from the comet that “Don’t Look Up” posits, or humanity’s “terrifying non-response” to climate change — but Musk’s project is also a method for eliminating a major source of carbon emissions that the author should welcome.

Musk’s goal is *not* to move everyone to Mars, but rather to advance technology to the point of creating a sustainable city there — “sustainable” meaning:  if supply ships were cut off from Earth for whatever reason, the city and humanity could survive.  Attempting to move forward using outdated technology like the Space Shuttle, as the movie depicts, is also doomed to fail. [Looking at you, SLS.]

But SpaceX is constructing a future space travel paradigm which is not just insurance against global calamity; it is essential progress for reducing fossil fuel emissions from the transport sector.

Thanks to Starship, we may soon have the ability to transition point-to-point air travel on earth into carbon neutral transport, by switching away from planes burning Jet-A kerosene from fossil fuel… and toward fully and rapidly reusable rocket ship transport, burning super-chilled methane and oxygen (methalox) sourced from carbon dioxide and water.  Musk is funding the development of projects using the Sabatier reaction to generate large amounts of methalox fuel for Starship.  (Note this is not just SpaceX; other companies and countries are switching to methalox engines for their new rockets, too.)  Add electric planes or rotorcraft for short trips, and emissions from transport by air can finally be carbon neutral.  Further, burning that methalox to get to the Moon, Mars and deep space could actually make the process carbon negative for Earth.

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2022, 06:06:48 PM »
OK, but that is still a long rang vista only solving a minor part of our problem.
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

DanLittle

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2022, 02:59:38 AM »
Musk’s goal is *not* to move everyone to Mars, but rather to advance technology to the point of creating a sustainable city

Pretty sure there were solutions to the question of sustainability that didn't require travel to and colonization of an entirely different planet, but yeah maybe this billionaire will save us now. The satire in this movie is depressingly spot on but oddly refreshing. It's nice to laugh at some of the absurdity that's been a source of grief and frustration in the past.

Garabaldi

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 9
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2022, 04:51:54 AM »
Sigmetnow (January 01, 2022, 07:10:26 PM)

I follow your post as I have a genuine interest in space exploration. As an economist/geographer it is clear that Elon Musk is a 'booster', he makes money by (over)selling prospective technologies to speculative investors. He is very good at it and this doesn't mean that the technologies he develops and promotes have no value. He is not evil, he is not transformational, he is just another capitalist.
BUT
"we may soon have the ability to transition point-to-point air travel on earth into carbon neutral transport"
as a response to this movie is beyond the wildest satire.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2022, 05:32:15 PM »
  …
"we may soon have the ability to transition point-to-point air travel on earth into carbon neutral transport"
as a response to this movie is beyond the wildest satire.

It is most certainly not in response to the movie that Earth-to-Earth (E2E) suborbital flight is evolving.  However, carbon neutral air transport is one solution to address the climate crisis that pundits such as Kalmus should not ignore simply because it’s easier to do so.

SpaceX envisioned E2E years ago, as the fully and rapidly reusable Starship program developed:
Starship | Earth to Earth - YouTube

And the military is paying close attention, as it will likely be the first significant user:
https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php/topic,2582.msg329193.html#msg329193

As with any other technology which is past its time: when the world decides that heavy carbon emission industries must evolve or be replaced, a carbon neutral alternative for aviation will already exist. It’s nonsense to envision a future that includes huge carbon-belching airplanes.

jai mitchell

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2022, 08:16:39 PM »
I really like the part when "peter" the tech billionaire started talking about how the windfall of materials from the comet would usher in a new era of global prosperity without war, hunger or need for all of humanity.  How he wasn't a 'businessman' but was an integral part of humanity's evolution, how he was the technomessiah who would lead the way to the next phase of humanity's consciousness and development.

When he started talking about how the benefits of mining the comet how the president and staff all started to get a little misty/weepy because the idea was so beautiful. . .

I liked that part.
Haiku of Futures Passed
My "burning embers"
+3C today

HapHazard

• Grease ice
  • Chillin' on Cold Mountain.
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 284
  • Likes Given: 5253
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2022, 09:12:41 PM »
Way too long, predictable and boring. But that's coming from someone who has long been aware of & lamented the state of environmental awareness, media, and capitalism/classism.

I can see how others would like it.
If I call you out but go no further, the reason is Brandolini's law.

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2022, 01:15:05 AM »
E2E flight is not exactly the most pressing problem in the world but i guess some like to look up at some other stuff.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2022, 02:12:48 AM »
E2E flight is not exactly the most pressing problem in the world but i guess some like to look up at some other stuff.

“Some” equaling more than 600 views of the SpaceX thread over the past 5 days.  So, yeah.  Some are interested in that stuff.

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2022, 02:13:47 PM »
And that is fine but it is not a solution to our problems.

It is funny how the review triggered you.
Peter Kalmus’ lack of understanding and quick dismissal of Musk’s goal is specious.

And jai wrote:
I really like the part when "peter" the tech billionaire started talking about how the windfall of materials from the comet would usher in a new era of global prosperity without war, hunger or need for all of humanity.  How he wasn't a 'businessman' but was an integral part of humanity's evolution, how he was the technomessiah who would lead the way to the next phase of humanity's consciousness and development.

So i guess your hero was satirized in the movie. Part of the description might fit other people too but i have not seen the movie.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2022, 04:23:25 PM »
And that is fine but it is not a solution to our problems.

It is funny how the review triggered you.
Peter Kalmus’ lack of understanding and quick dismissal of Musk’s goal is specious.

And jai wrote:

So i guess your hero was satirized in the movie. Part of the description might fit other people too but i have not seen the movie.

Carbon neutral transport most definitely IS a part of the climate crisis solution!
EDIT:
Starship will be flying orbital tests this year, launching tons of cargo (mostly Starlinks, and some external customers) next year, and no doubt E2E cargo tests shortly thereafter.  I know of no other system being tested for use in the next few years that has the capability to move tons of cargo around the world in under an hour with no fossil fuel emissions.  Just one of the many ways Starship will change transport forever, and it’s futile to dismiss it as not happening.

And “Peter” is most definitely not Musk.  The character more resembles “Jeff Who?” Bezos, who wants industry to be earning money in space, and others who extoll riches to be found in comets and asteroids, but not Musk, who has championed no such thing. Musk doesn’t see the asteroids as a profit-making target for SpaceX, and sees a Moon base as helpful only because we aren’t yet ready to go to Mars.  SpaceX is working on ways to extract water, methane and oxygen on Mars — not precious minerals.  And Musk has said repeatedly that the reason he is accumulating wealth is to spend it to assure humanity builds a sustainable presence on Mars — not so he can buy lots of mansions, a mega-yacht like Bezos’, and and an island to retire to. See the difference?

It’s clear that the movie avoided allusions to Musk, with its use of the Space Shuttle As [failed] Hero, rather than a Starship, which they could have easily used if SpaceX were their target.  And again, that the mystical Peter sought the supposed riches of materials that could be brought to enrich Earth from space, whereas Musk is all about providing transport off of Earth, for settlers who, like Shackleton, will endure hardship and risk of death.

Yes, I suppose extreme ignorance about today’s space efforts triggers me.  On the bright side, folks might learn something from it.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2022, 07:17:34 PM by Sigmetnow »

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2022, 03:17:57 AM »
Love it or hate it, “Don’t Look Up” is a Netflix hit.
Film Updates
Adam McKay’s #DontLookUp starring Jennifer Lawrence and Leonardo DiCaprio has recorded the biggest week of views in Netflix history with more than 152 million hours streamed.

< Not surprised. It is a smart movie. Such a spot on mirror to what world we live in.
< I’ve watched it 3 times
< I've watched it four times. Love it more each time.
< This film was such a disappointment. Hard to imagine how a film with such star power and talent in the cast list could leave so much to be desired.
1/4/22, 3:55 PM. https://twitter.com/filmupdates/status/1478470117914816519

EDIT:
FYI: if you’re wondering what all the fuss is about, you can join Netflix and watch Don’t Look Up (and anything else, as much as you want) for one month, on their basic “Good video quality in SD (480p)” plan for $8.99.  (Higher resolution is more expensive.) Cancel anytime.
Sorry, not sure of regs outside of the US.

ANOTHER EDIT:
Space fans, if you join Netflix, be sure not to miss “Countdown,” the excellent multiple-part Netflix/TIME documentary on the Inspiration 4 mission.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2022, 03:39:27 PM by Sigmetnow »

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2022, 05:57:34 PM »
SpaceX is working on ways to extract water, methane and oxygen on Mars — not precious minerals.

Yes, I suppose extreme ignorance about today’s space efforts triggers me.

It is not all ignorance. Going to Mars, well nice plan but it takes time and resources. It is still a Future Tech. So much more needs to be done down here. And hardship and risk of death well that does sound more like an adventure then a solution, doesn´t it?

As too the first part we should be really have at least one proper ExoBiology mission (current ones are ExoGeology) to check out if there is live there before we contaminate it.

Short version: A lot of people think that the notion that this space adventure actually helps us along on the short term important climate goals is bonkers.

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3589
  • Likes Given: 3940
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2022, 01:04:20 AM »
Building a sustainable city on Mars is nice, and a good insurance, but does not solve the issues here on Earth.

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2022, 04:03:22 AM »
Oren,
Your comment reminds me of a Californian folk singer - Tom Hunter - in the 1980's (maybe 70's) who had a song sung from the perspective of a child in a hippie household: "I've got five moms and three dads"  and "We may not have solved all the problems of traditional households, but we created a whole new set" (or something like that).  (.)
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

KiwiGriff

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 710
  • Likes Given: 379
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2022, 06:24:52 AM »
It is not all ignorance. Going to Mars, well nice plan but it takes time and resources. It is still a Future Tech.
Technology that is part of every day life for most of us was spun of from the research that enabled space travel.
Striving for mars may also bring benefits for the earth bound. 
Animals can be driven crazy by placing too many in too small a pen. Homo sapiens is the only animal that voluntarily does this to himself.
Notebooks of Lazarus Long.
Robert Heinlein.

Garabaldi

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 9
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2022, 07:06:00 AM »
The Antarctic is accessible by commercial aviation. Its only issue for human habitation is a cold temperature. Two centuries following its discovery its' permanent population is 0.
Access to Mars requires taking off on a sh*t load of explosives, completing a speculative re-entry onto a foreign planet. On arrival issues with habitation include cold temperatures, radiation, lack of oxygen, different physical conditions (gravity, sols, etc),.......
Meanwhile, incredible science is being achieved by remote sensing satellites and robotics - you know boring NASA stuff achieved by Government.
Sometimes people who are doing need to be told to sit down a shut the f*ck up.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2022, 02:14:10 PM »
It is not all ignorance. Going to Mars, well nice plan but it takes time and resources. It is still a Future Tech. So much more needs to be done down here.
Building a sustainable city on Mars is nice, and a good insurance, but does not solve the issues here on Earth.
// Going to space has already benefitted life on Earth in literally thousands of ways!  It’s a fact:  astronauts on the International Space Station are spending hundreds of hours every week working with scientists on the ground while they perform experiments in their unique environment that lead to new materials, new manufacturing techniques, purer protein crystals, new drugs to fight cancer, new tissue growth research — thousands of benefits to help us on Earth that, ironically, could only be started off of it.

Home | NASA Spinoff
   Spinoff highlights NASA technologies that benefit life on Earth in the form of commercial products. We’ve profiled more than 2,000 spinoffs since 1976 — there’s more space in your life than you think!
   https://spinoff.nasa.gov/

• Our climate goals involve managing carbon dioxide. 
• Mars goals involve managing carbon dioxide. 
• There is a 100% chance that technology developed for going to Mars will help here on Earth, in that aspect alone.

Massively carbon-emitting jet airplanes burn Jet-A kerosene, long-chain hydrocarbons sourced from fossil fuel.  Starship burns methane, a simple three-carbon molecule, easily made sustainably by cracking carbon dioxide using the Sabatier reaction. 
Switch Jet-A transport to sustainable methane and you’ve just eliminated a huge source of carbon emissions.  The fact that a different vehicle is required is just the way it is.  Starship is relatively cheap (made of steel) and easy to make.  SpaceX has already built a bunch of them, and plans to build thousands more in the coming years.  Not starting decades from now.

Carbon-neutral transport is not a requirement for going to Mars. But it is one example of the side benefits that the challenge of this next frontier will bring.  And, it’s happening soon:  Reusable Starships will be flying customers’ cargo to space regularly within the next three years, and will supplement, then start to displace, jet airliner trips soon after.  Fast enough for you?

New tech doesn’t just happen; it requires smart minds working hard on what is currently “impossible.”  It makes perfect sense to dedicate some portion of our human budget to the incredible potential that going to space offers us “down here.”  One percent has been suggested.
—-
And hardship and risk of death well that does sound more like an adventure then a solution, doesn´t it?
// Working aboard the ISS is an adventure AND a solution!  Science is often both — Antarctic Station is another  example:  an adventure for those who choose to go, which generates an invaluable source of knowledge for the world. Stepping outside of our comfort zone is exactly what is required to come up with the solutions to the climate crisis we don’t see from the comforts of our daily lives.
—-
As too the first part we should be really have at least one proper ExoBiology mission (current ones are ExoGeology) to check out if there is live there before we contaminate it.
// A valid concern.  Studies, and decontamination, will be important.  NASA documented it in the requirements SpaceX must develop for the lunar Starship’s Human Landing System.  Life which evolved over millions of years to survive on Earth has little chance of surviving the harsh Martian environment.  But what if there really is no Martian life?  It doesn’t make sense to stifle what could be humanity’s last hope because of an imagined fear that “dragons be there.”  If there is Martian life, that would be profound. But we won’t know until we go and look closely for it, with tools and minds more advanced than rovers.
—-
Short version: A lot of people think that the notion that this space adventure actually helps us along on the short term important climate goals is bonkers.
// Then those people should take a moment to learn how it does exactly that, rather than dismissing out-of-the box thinking by some of the brightest minds in the country;  precisely what we need to develop solutions that don’t currently exist.

It’s clear that to solve the climate crisis, we need new thinking, new tech, new habits — and we need them quickly.  In “the short term,” the Space industry is probably the fastest evolving industry we have.  It makes perfect sense to look for solutions there.

SteveMDFP

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 594
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2022, 05:12:44 PM »
It is not all ignorance. Going to Mars, well nice plan but it takes time and resources. It is still a Future Tech.
Technology that is part of every day life for most of us was spun of from the research that enabled space travel.
Striving for mars may also bring benefits for the earth bound.
True, as far as this goes.  But for my money (and tax dollars), I'd much rather these off-world self-sustaining cities be built with AI-controlled, autonomous robots. That would likely generate much better spinoff benefits than trying to sustain human bodies in environments that are profoundly hostile to biology.

Once nice habitats with oxygen, water, shielding, and food supplies are in place, then we might consider sending some humans.  Maybe.  Haste makes waste.

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2022, 05:52:07 PM »
Ah yes lets ignore the comet and go discuss Space Flight Which Will Save Us.

The movie is not about Space X. And while it is nice to dream about bright futures we need more action now.

Or we ignore the comet some more, why not?  ::)

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2022, 05:56:22 PM »
Ah yes lets ignore the comet and go discuss Space Flight Which Will Save Us.

The movie is not about Space X. And while it is nice to dream about bright futures we need more action now.

Or we ignore the comet some more, why not?  ::)

I thought the movie was about climate change?

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2022, 09:31:36 PM »
Yes and how people ignore it.

Hydrogen rockets do nothing for cars, they do not isolate homes or change the energy mix on a short time scale, they have no effect in farming.

You can equate those future dreams to the solution but they are merely a very small part.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2022, 12:01:24 AM »

Hydrogen rockets do nothing for cars, they do not isolate homes or change the energy mix on a short time scale, they have no effect in farming.

I agree.  That’s why it’s a good thing The Company That Must Not Be Named is transitioning to methane fuel, not hydrogen. ;)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 12:18:14 AM by Sigmetnow »

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2022, 02:49:28 AM »
‘Don’t Look Up’ number leads straight to sex hotline, fans discover

https://nypost.com/2022/01/04/dont-look-up-number-leads-straight-to-sex-hotline-fans-discover/

Stressed about a “planet killer” asteroid crashing into Earth? “Don’t Look Up” suggests phone sex.

Viewers of Adam McKay’s new dark comedy on Netflix discovered an X-rated Easter egg when Leonardo DiCaprio’s character, astronomer Randall Mindy, delivers a public service announcement after he discovers an apocalyptic asteroid.

In the PSA, the middling scientist stammers through the difficult message, urging Americans to call a phone number — 1-800-532-4500 — if they seek “peace of mind” after learning there’s a comet on course to destroy all life on Earth.

The number, fans discovered, goes straight to a sex hotline.

WTF happened?

NeilT

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 387
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2022, 04:43:48 PM »
The movie puts all our faults as as a society on a pedestal and flaunts it for everyone to see.

Then the comments come in.  "Boring".

Hell, yes, we know this so well that it's "boring".  It should be terrifying because we know for a fact that any real emergency will be dealt with in this way.  In fact the climate emergency certainly is.

That being said, making life sustainably multi planetary is one way of avoiding extinction.  What is the response?  We should do it with robotics?  Really?  I didn't know sentient life in the solar system was robotic?  The entire raison d'etre of creating a colony in Mars is to Solve the climate issues for human life so we can be multi planetary.

I watched the film to the very end, looking to see just how far they would push the reality of our frivolous society.  They maintained the thing to the very end which maintained my interest to the very end.

The sad part is that very little of this film is actually satire.  More an extreme interpretation of what already exists.

Don't look up, down, sideways.  In fact don't look, don't question, don't learn, we'll tell you what to know, think, believe.

Our book of humanity has a big fat Dodo on the cover.  People like Musk are trying to remove it.  It is highly interesting how those who are most concerned about the shit we are in are some of the most vociferously opposed to Musk.....

As for the Shuttle in the film?  Probably due to archive footage.  A decade from now nobody will use a shuttle, that will be passé.  The only game in town will be starship.
Being right too soon is socially unacceptable.

Robert A. Heinlein

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2022, 04:54:29 PM »
‘Don’t Look Up’ number leads straight to sex hotline, fans discover

;D I wondered what that number was.  Movies and TV almost never give a complete telephone number, much less feature it prominently, unless they have created a special one for it, because it causes too many problems.

=======

Here’s a brief explainer for the movie by Leonardo DiCaprio:

—-
And here’s a tangentially related, recent TED Talk about Spaceship Earth, from an astronaut. 12 min.
My Unexpected, Totally Obvious Realization from Orbit | Karen Nyberg | TEDxFargo

SteveMDFP

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 594
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2022, 03:09:41 PM »
That being said, making life sustainably multi planetary is one way of avoiding extinction.  What is the response?  We should do it with robotics?  Really?  I didn't know sentient life in the solar system was robotic?  The entire raison d'etre of creating a colony in Mars is to Solve the climate issues for human life so we can be multi planetary.

That was my response.  My core belief is that if humanity cannot live within the limits of an entire planet without fouling it and offing our own civilization, then we have no business exporting our ways to other planets.  Extinction would be appropriate then.  There are other life forms that will survive.  We're not that important to the universe.

Beyond this, until and unless sustainable habitats/cities are established beforehand, then trying to maintain biological human beings in space is a ridiculously costly and impractical task on a per capita basis.  Each person would have an ecological footprint on earth equivalent to a small city.  Sending people early on in the process will only accelerate earthly destruction.

Build everything first, using robots that don't mind vacuum and cold, then send humans to live there only when sustainable systems are in place.

Bruce Steele

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 753
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2022, 04:43:24 PM »
I am with Kassy here, the whole frickin idea is “Bonkers”.  But if course people buried in BAU, their stock market unlimited resources extravaganza, their nice house in suburbia( with two Tesla’s in the garage ) and a timeshare in Hawaii all think their lifestyle is tits and will never accept less.
 F… the meek.

jai mitchell

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2022, 08:07:11 PM »
I don't know why we are even talking about this.

1. Mars does not have a magnetic field

this means that there will never be an atmosphere on mars.

it also means that there will never be shielding from cosmic rays and solar ion radiation that our magnetosphere and atmosphere provides us on earth.

This means that the surface of mars will always be uninhabitable, nothing will ever live there.

ever.

https://phys.org/news/2016-11-bad-mars.html

But perhaps the most radical proposal for reducing Mars' exposure to harmful radiation involves jump-starting the planet's core to restore its magnetosphere. To do this, we would need to liquefy the planet's outer core so that it can convect around the inner core once again. The planet's own rotation would begin to create a dynamo effect, and a magnetic field would be generated.

According to Sam Factor, a graduate student with the Department of Astronomy at the University of Texas, there are two ways to do this. The first would be to detonate a series of thermonuclear warheads near the planet's core, while the second involves running an electric current through the planet, producing resistance at the core which would heat it up.

give.
me.
a.
break.

Haiku of Futures Passed
My "burning embers"
+3C today

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2022, 08:10:43 PM »

Beyond this, until and unless sustainable habitats/cities are established beforehand, then trying to maintain biological human beings in space is a ridiculously costly and impractical task on a per capita basis.  Each person would have an ecological footprint on earth equivalent to a small city.  Sending people early on in the process will only accelerate earthly destruction.

Build everything first, using robots that don't mind vacuum and cold, then send humans to live there only when sustainable systems are in place.

The plan often described by those who understand the challenge is:  send several unmanned Starships with tons of emergency supplies, exploration/scientific rovers, and machines to make methane and oxygen fuel for launches from Mars, and robots to help deploy a large solar panel field.  At the next orbital opportunity in two years, if Ship performance has been good, and there is now enough fuel, water and power on Mars to support human habitation, a crew would be launched.  Each Starship has a payload capacity as large as the International Space Station, so no other habitation module would be required, although some will likely be deployed to protect ground equipment and supplies.

The main purpose of the Starship design is to make getting tons of payload to space (Mars) cheaper by orders of magnitude than anything that has come before.  That’s what will make the plan feasible.

The cost target for a Mars settler, once a colony is established, is about the same price as a medium-sized house on earth.  Sell your house, move to Mars, if that is your wish.  Or pay your way by providing goods or services once you get there.

The movie suggests it would take tens of thousands of years to find another habitable planet.  The first humans could set foot on Mars this decade.

It’s been 4 billion years, and we’re just now reaching the ability to make life multiplanetary.  The opportunity may not last long.  We don’t know how many other civilizations did not survive to pass the Great Filter; this monumental achievement could be one few have achieved.  Learning more about the universe teaches us more about ourselves.  And few things brought the world together like landing humans on the moon.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2022, 08:30:41 PM »
I don't know why we are even talking about this.

This means that the surface of mars will always be uninhabitable, nothing will ever live there.

Well, that solves Kassy’s concerns about contamination, then. ;)

Living on Mars is talked about because (like the comet in the movie), it’s going to happen.  Even if it means a majority of a settler’s time is spent in radiation-protected tunnels below the surface, until radiation-proof above-ground shelters are built.  The way scientists in Antarctica spend most of their time in thermally-protected buildings.  Because their presence there is meaningful.

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2022, 02:13:10 PM »
As a long term enterprise but it does nothing to help with our direct challenges.

If there is life on Mars it must be some sort of bacteria. It is important to figure out if they are there before we go there.

There are many subgroups even among those concerned with the problem of global warming. The spectrum runs from what i would call Earth Realists via the Consensus Crowd to Tech Utopians.

These each have a different way into the problem and thus we all look at different aspects.

Earth Realists start close to some specific problem. You can be a farmer worrying about the future (bonus points if you do fruit trees), or a fisherman, or someone working to conserve some specific area. They are acutely aware of some damage and the perils the capitalist destruction brings.

The Consensus Crowd follows it more distantly. Most probably live in cities and work jobs that do not involve exposure. It is more abstract and it is abstract enough to follow consensus science. Of course the whole science focus on the long term is also a constructed consensus. The goal for 1,5C was always wrong. Of course our friend Fruit Farmer knows this.

Yes the AR6 had some stark warnings for the future but if fails to point out that the crisis is here now.

And the Tech Utopians they are obsessed with technical solutions which usually only help a small bit if at all. Flying to Mars is not going to stop people from burning down the Amazon. We also can´t all have Tesla´s, or even private cars. And deep sea mining is not OK because you consider it a desolate wasteland etc.

So the relative perspectives are we need to do a whole lot more now vs look we have decades to fix it and it will be ok vs must build rockets.

I might be exaggerating a bit.

The important part is the time line.

We should do way more now. Actually capping CO2 might be a start. Now we committed to some target while financing at least 2 years of growth. It is a problem we need to start solving now and book keeping tricks are not going to help us.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2022, 09:32:32 PM »
Mild spoilers ahead…

The media hype over the recent near-Earth asteroid pass feel familiar?  Well, that bit in “Don’t Look Up” that mentions Planetary Defense is based on reality.
NASA actually does have people searching the skies every night for near-Earth objects.  And the patch is real!
NASA Asteroid Watch @AsteroidWatch
Near-Earth #asteroid 1994 PC1 (~1 km wide) is very well known and has been studied for decades by our #PlanetaryDefense experts. Rest assured, 1994 PC1 will safely fly past our planet 1.2 million miles away next Tues., Jan. 18.
Track it yourself here: eyes.nasa.gov/apps/asteroids/ 
1/12/22 https://twitter.com/asteroidwatch/status/1481287446646112259. Gif of spinning asteroid approaching earth/moon orbit
NASA Asteroid Watch @AsteroidWatch
@NASA watches the skies every night to continuously find, track, and monitor near-Earth objects (#NEOs), and all data on newly-discovered asteroids are publicly available: cneos.jpl.nasa.gov/ca/
Just another day for NASA's #PlanetaryDefense Coordination Office.
https://twitter.com/asteroidwatch/status/1481287452664938501

How Real Is the Planetary Defense Coordination Office From ‘Don’t Look Up'?
Dec. 28 2021
There's been a lot of discussion around "anti-science" rhetoric and beliefs in recent years, especially in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic and all of the socio-political discussions around the virus. Adam McKay's newest Netflix film, Don't Look Up, feels like one big allegorical diatribe against science "naysayers" who would rather eschew factual evidence and data in lieu of personal beliefs/agendas. But since it does so with a heavy dose of comedy, fans are wondering how much of the content in the film is real, like the Planetary Defense Coordination Office.

Is NASA's Planetary Defense Coordination Office real?
Abso-freaking-lutely. The patch that is highlighted in the popular Netflix film belongs to an actual agency, and in case you were wondering if it it's legit, yes — the film even provides a meta moment to inform the audience that it totally exists.

In one scene, Leonardo DiCaprio's character, Randall Mindy says, "I'm on hold. She is calling Dr. Oglethorpe, who is that?" Jennifer Lawrence's character, Kate Dibiasky says, "Dr. Oglethorpe, head of the Planetary Defense Coordination Office." Which prompts the response from Leo: "Is that a real place?"

Then, on-screen text pops up to inform the audience that yes, the Planetary Defense Coordination Office is a real division of NASA, and that the patch in the movie is actually the one utilized by the agency.

Geeky reported that an actualy astronomer and climate change scientist Amy Mainzer worked as a consultant for the film.
In an interview with collectSPACE, Amy said, "Obviously this is a sci-fi movie, right? We are getting into sci-fi territory very quickly, because obviously we don’t know of a gigantic comet that is about to hit Earth. That is not real. So fortunately, that’s the big news, right?"

She continued, "But the Planetary Defense Coordination Office is very real, and it didn’t really exist until relatively recently." This particular office didn't come into existence until January of 2016.

NASA created the division to work with its international allies in order to create Earth defense strategies, and it also serves to manage NASA's Near-Earth Object Observation initiative, which was founded in 1998.

"You’d think it would be a no-brainer to have a full program to search for asteroids and comets, but even that has been a long time coming. People have been working on it for a long time, but I would say with very modest resources, considering what it takes to go out there and solve this particular problem. So we are finally getting to the point where we are conducting a much more comprehensive study of these objects," Amy said.

The events of 'Don't Look Up' are loosely based on a true story.
Mainzer's team actually discovered the massive NEOWISE comet in 1997. It's the basis of that staggering find that helped inform Don't Look Up.

"I did a lot of work on the design of an orbit and I actually modeled some aspects of the comet in the movie after Comet NEOWISE to be realistic. I tried to choose something that would fit the needs of the movie, but also not stray too far from reality," she said.

Mainzer said that she was very happy to work on the film and it's pro-empirical evidence stance: "We need to make science-based decisions. It’s important because, if we don’t, we’re not going to end up with the best possible outcomes for a host of different problems, be it the threat of asteroids and comets or climate change or extreme weather. Or the pandemic. We have scientific decisions to make and it couldn’t be more important than doing it now."

Don't Look Up is currently streaming on Netflix. You can watch it with a subscription by heading here….
https://www.distractify.com/p/is-the-planetary-defense-coordination-office-real

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2022, 02:35:30 PM »
I went on TV to explain Just Stop Oil – and it became a parody of Don’t Look Up

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/apr/13/just-stop-oil-climate-crisis-good-morning-britain?CMP=share_btn_tw

I wanted to sound the alarm about oil exploration and the climate crisis, but Good Morning Britain just didn’t want to hear.

Here's the interview she's talking about. It was really disgusting how those reporters treated her.

WTF happened?